China

This is for discussions about news, politics, sports, other games, culture, philosophy etc.
United States of America n0el
ESOC Business Team
ESO: jezabob
Clan: 팀 하우스

Re: China

Post by n0el »

Funny all the so called capitalists have an issue with Adam Silver trying to do his job and make money for the NBA.
mad cuz bad
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Post by fightinfrenchman »

n0el wrote:Funny all the so called capitalists have an issue with Adam Silver trying to do his job and make money for the NBA.
I forgot that a core tenet of capitalism was that you aren't allowed to criticize people
Dromedary Scone Mix is not Alone Mix
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

Mfw I told people some time ago that the Chinese system is very similar to Nazism/Fascism and nobody agreed.

Now I see other people making the same comparison. It's basically Nazism without the Aryan myth.
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

Also, Apple supporting the Chinese government's position, by taking down apps which show the locations of police stations in HK:

Got an iPhone, cuck? Or any crApple gadget? You're supporting China's policies, if so. :blush:
ESOC Business Team

Post by n0el »

Dolan wrote:Mfw I told people some time ago that the Chinese system is very similar to Nazism/Fascism and nobody agreed.

Now I see other people making the same comparison. It's basically Nazism without the Aryan myth.
It's fascist for sure. There's no democracy and the government backs the business interests of the elites rather than the people. Not to mention they have concentration camps of Uighur Muslims....
mad cuz bad
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

Exactly.

If you look at how their system works, at things of substance (not superficial stuff like whether they have a cult for military uniforms, flags and swastikas), it's actually very similar to fascism.
Except maybe they're not as expansionist as fascists and nazis were. And the whole racial purity mythology is missing too.

Otherwise everything else is pretty much there: a single party system, a leader that is now "elected" for life (it's actually picked by the party elites from their own ranks), the economy is not managed by the state directly but the biggest firms are required to subordinate their interests to those of the party, mass censorship, propaganda that revolves around a cult for the leader and the nation, mass surveillance and punishment of those that step outside certain political boundaries, concentration camps for certain ethnic minorities, etc.
No Flag kami_ryu
Retired Contributor

Post by kami_ryu »

-- deleted post --

Reason: on request (off-topic bulk delete)
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

kami_ryu wrote:argh, can we just say that South Park is not as funny as it used to be?
I think the cynical portayal of the ridiculousness that is modern life is more funny than the 'dumb' humor that southpark used to have. I might not laugh as much but I sure do enjoy southpark a lot. Southpark is today what caricatures were in the past.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Post by fightinfrenchman »

RefluxSemantic wrote:
kami_ryu wrote:argh, can we just say that South Park is not as funny as it used to be?
I think the cynical portayal of the ridiculousness that is modern life is more funny than the 'dumb' humor that southpark used to have. I might not laugh as much but I sure do enjoy southpark a lot. Southpark is today what caricatures were in the past.
Caricatures still exist, you always see them at fairs and whatnot
Dromedary Scone Mix is not Alone Mix
Netherlands Mr_Bramboy
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: [VOC] Bram

Post by Mr_Bramboy »

I think it's better. The latest episode was great. I loved the punchline. The first episode of a season last year about school shootings was one of the best episodes in the series IMO.
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

Google siding with the Chinese govt too:

https://www.hongkongfp.com/2019/10/10/r ... lay-store/
United States of America Amsel_
Howdah
ESO: The_Amsel

Post by Amsel_ »

Smdh can we just embargo China already? I don't see why Indonesia or Latin America can't do what China does for us. I feel this mix of cringe and embarrassment when these major companies go out of their way to be friendly to the CCP, and a second great depression is preferable to having to *snap* every fortune 500 company into my cringe compilation.
ESOC Business Team

Post by n0el »

Because it’s not about cheap labor anymore, it’s about a customer base.
mad cuz bad
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

It hasn't been about cheap labour for some time already. For companies producing electronics, it's been more about proximity to Southeast Asian supply chains. A huge proportion of components in electronics are produced in Taiwan, South Korea and China. So if you want to produce a smartphone, the optimal circuit for production is to have everything shipped and assembled there, because of close proximity and no need to go through all the logistics to have it all shipped back home.

But yeah, recently China has been shifting its economic model. They realised they can't keep their population living on low wages forever. It's also because they want to become less dependent on USA/foreign sales for their growth. It's a post-2008 thing.