Investing and Personal Finance

This is for discussions about news, politics, sports, other games, culture, philosophy etc.
No Flag [TLDT]Amsterda
Dragoon
ESO: Amsterda

Re: Investing and Personal Finance

Post by [TLDT]Amsterda »

Anyone got some compilation of palladium geological surveys?
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

-- deleted post --

Reason: on request (off-topic bulk delete)
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/incog_aoe
Garja wrote:
20 Mar 2020, 21:46
I just hope DE is not going to implement all of the EP changes. Right now it is a big clusterfuck.
No Flag Djigit
Howdah

Post by Djigit »

Long TVIX kids
No Flag [TLDT]Amsterda
Dragoon

Post by [TLDT]Amsterda »

@n0el Did you end up selling Delta or still keeping longterm?
United States of America n0el
ESOC Business Team
ESO: jezabob
Clan: 팀 하우스

Post by n0el »

Sold at breakeven
mad cuz bad
ESOC Business Team

Post by n0el »

Thoughts on the market right now? False bottom and temporary policy related bump or real turn upward?

@Amsel_ @Amsterda__ @Horsemen
mad cuz bad
United States of America Amsel_
Howdah
ESO: The_Amsel

Post by Amsel_ »

n0el wrote:Thoughts on the market right now? False bottom and temporary policy related bump or real turn upward?

I'm completely ignoring all of these ups and downs. I'm going to wait until I start seeing good GDP growth, good job figures, etc. Once I see that the ship is stable, and back on course, I'll buy in. Until then, I don't want to risk the life boat trying to navigate the same waves which took us off course to begin with.
Great Britain Horsemen
Jaeger

Post by Horsemen »

n0el wrote:Thoughts on the market right now? False bottom and temporary policy related bump or real turn upward?

No one has any idea which way this market will go in the next 3 months.
Korea South Vinyanyérë
Retired Contributor
Donator 06
ESO: duolckrad, Kuvira

Post by Vinyanyérë »

Short positions are good. If the market goes down you make money, and if it goes up then life will be returning to normal and your losses will be offset by that fact.

Alternatively, short positions are bad. A million Robinhoodbux won't stop the looters, but guns and ammo will, so that's where you should be putting your cash.
duck
:mds:
imo
ESOC Business Team

Post by n0el »

Vinyanyérë wrote:Short positions are good. If the market goes down you make money, and if it goes up then life will be returning to normal and your losses will be offset by that fact.

Alternatively, short positions are bad. A million Robinhoodbux won't stop the looters, but guns and ammo will, so that's where you should be putting your cash.
As I said during our DNC_P stream, I’ve got all my free cash tied up in hoarding cases of beer. @deleted_user4 should be doing this too.
mad cuz bad
United States of America Cometk
Retired Contributor

Post by Cometk »

n0el wrote:
Vinyanyérë wrote:Short positions are good. If the market goes down you make money, and if it goes up then life will be returning to normal and your losses will be offset by that fact.

As I said during our DNC_P stream, I’ve got all my free cash tied up in hoarding cases of beer. @deleted_user4 should be doing this too.
i invested in six bottles of wine the other day

No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

I'm not an economist, but let's not assume that this coronavirus does temporary damage. The economy's fundamentals might be good, but it tends to not deal well with setbacks. Those fundamentals are not too great when half of your companies are suddenly short on cash and all the governments are struggling financially.
Australia wardyb1
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: wardyb1

Post by wardyb1 »

Definitely wouldn't be buying long term stocks until we see how unemployment behaves post crisis. If most people can get back to work, things should go back to relative normal. If jobs are simply gone en masse post crisis due to a seriously sluggish economy we could see a serious long term downturn. Especially if we get in such a hole that stimulus won't kick start us out of.
“To love the journey is to accept no such end. I have found, through painful experience, that the most important step a person can take is always the next one.”
No Flag [TLDT]Amsterda
Dragoon

Post by [TLDT]Amsterda »

Well it's been great for daytrading, you can kind of expect any relevant report to create a lasting trend intraday and to an extent you can expect a decent amount of selloff before any such scheduled report during these days unless people suddenly turn optimistic. Like yesterday when the unemployment benefit claims were getting released about 1 hour before premarket ends I was short through some cfd for a couple of minutes before it got released then just traded long positions for a couple of hours which went pretty well.

Anyway if you're thinking about some longterm positions I wouldn't advise you on that other than to hedge with some options, can't really tell much about the future but you can at least expect potential downsides to be bigger than upsides for indices.
No Flag [TLDT]Amsterda
Dragoon

Post by [TLDT]Amsterda »

Djigit wrote:Long TVIX kids
Did you actually do it and did you sell same week or did you get fucked? Hopefully you sold the next day and went short lol.
No Flag Djigit
Howdah

Post by Djigit »

[TLDT]Amsterda wrote:
Did you actually do it and did you sell same week or did you get fucked? Hopefully you sold the next day and went short lol.
Got fucked. Luckily it was on a paper trading platform Image
No Flag [TLDT]Amsterda
Dragoon

Post by [TLDT]Amsterda »

Went up >13% today which is kind of bad since this was one of those days you could get 3 digit roi. Trying to branch out in terms of what I'm always paying attention to but I couldn't think of much. Thought of some ways to mitigate what I'm overlooking but it'll take some time to implement successfully and I have no idea to what extent it'll be successful if at all but ideally it could work out pretty well with little potential downside.
Djigit wrote:
[TLDT]Amsterda wrote:
Ah well at least it was paper trading but I hope you avoid it if you're currently or going to trade with actual money because it'll distort your risk tolerance etc.
No Flag Djigit
Howdah

Post by Djigit »

[TLDT]Amsterda wrote:Went up >13% today which is kind of bad since this was one of those days you could get 3 digit roi. Trying to branch out in terms of what I'm always paying attention to but I couldn't think of much. Thought of some ways to mitigate what I'm overlooking but it'll take some time to implement successfully and I have no idea to what extent it'll be successful if at all but ideally it could work out pretty well with little potential downside.
Djigit wrote:
Show hidden quotes
Ah well at least it was paper trading but I hope you avoid it if you're currently or going to trade with actual money because it'll distort your risk tolerance etc.
Yeah, I'd also advise to avoid leveraged strategies as much as possible, especially under the current circumstances.
No Flag [TLDT]Amsterda
Dragoon

Post by [TLDT]Amsterda »

Djigit wrote:
[TLDT]Amsterda wrote:Went up >13% today which is kind of bad since this was one of those days you could get 3 digit roi. Trying to branch out in terms of what I'm always paying attention to but I couldn't think of much. Thought of some ways to mitigate what I'm overlooking but it'll take some time to implement successfully and I have no idea to what extent it'll be successful if at all but ideally it could work out pretty well with little potential downside.
Show hidden quotes
Yeah, I'd also advise to avoid leveraged strategies as much as possible, especially under the current circumstances.
I would generally agree cus compound interest but in the short periods where you can expect a certain movement for the next let's say 10 minutes or less I'd definitely use leverage in that case and maybe even a couple of hours intraday in some rare cases but not interested in keeping leveraged positions overnight. More importantly I think whether you're using leverage or not is to close your positions quick when you're down and close when upside becomes more limited as well. In the end you could profit from 6 out of 10 trades but if you average almost 600 trades a day you're going to accrue quite a lot if you're limiting downsides and it just keeps compounding.
No Flag lejend
Jaeger

Post by lejend »

Great Britain chris1089
Retired Contributor
ESO: chris1089

Post by chris1089 »

I'm considering buying some FTSE and S and P 500 for long term positions. If there is a 5 year depression due to the stupid government measures (in the UK at least), when are we looking at stocks returning to long term growth?
Is there anything that can be said confidently at the moment?
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

chris1089 wrote:I'm considering buying some FTSE and S and P 500 for long term positions. If there is a 5 year depression due to the stupid government measures (in the UK at least), when are we looking at stocks returning to long term growth?
Nobody knows
Can you ever say anything confidently about the stock market? If you could, it would already be factored in there
Great Britain chris1089
Retired Contributor
ESO: chris1089

Post by chris1089 »

About as helpful as I expected.
Australia wardyb1
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: wardyb1

Post by wardyb1 »

chris1089 wrote:I'm considering buying some FTSE and S and P 500 for long term positions. If there is a 5 year depression due to the stupid government measures (in the UK at least), when are we looking at stocks returning to long term growth?
Stocks are always in "long term growth". That is the idea behind long term buys. You buy something to hold for 10 years. If you buy a market wide ETF and hold for 10 years and it hasn't gained in that 10 years, the economy no longer functions as it has for the past 100 years.
“To love the journey is to accept no such end. I have found, through painful experience, that the most important step a person can take is always the next one.”
Latvia harcha
Gendarme
ESO: hatamoto_samurai

Post by harcha »

So i got a nice termination check and have no idea what to do with it. Don't want to squander it away. Any advice? Don't know anything about economics
POC wrote:Also I most likely know a whole lot more than you.
POC wrote:Also as an objective third party, and near 100% accuracy of giving correct information, I would say my opinions are more reliable than yours.