Civ 6

This is for discussions about news, politics, sports, other games, culture, philosophy etc.
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Civ 6

Post by Goodspeed »

Does anyone play this?
I'd like to organize an ESOC civ game, if there's any chance we can schedule it

https://discord.gg/YVXcqsY
Netherlands blackwidow
Dragoon
ESO: MASTERdutch

Re: Civ 6

Post by blackwidow »

+
Kiribati princeofcarthage
Retired Contributor

Post by princeofcarthage »

+1
Fine line to something great is a strange change.
No Flag tedere12
Jaeger

Post by tedere12 »

play ee2 instead
Netherlands Mr_Bramboy
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: [VOC] Bram

Post by Mr_Bramboy »

In. Civ 6 is a great game but I always get bored at some point if I'm playing with AI and none of my friends play it.
Great Britain Horsemen
Jaeger

Post by Horsemen »

Great but multiplayer civ games are always tough to organise and take literally years IRL to complete
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

Yeah we all need to be in the same timezone probably. One advantage of civ though is that it's not a disaster if people drop out, since the AI takes over.

@princeofcarthage what's your timezone? If not near GMT, can you play in the evenings GMT time? Say around 19-22?
Retired Contributor

19 GMT is generally the most ideal time for me to play game. I might not be able to do 22 GMT consistently. ( 21 GMT is ideal end time. ) But 22 should be fine more often than not.
Netherlands Mr_Bramboy
Retired Contributor
Donator 01

Post by Mr_Bramboy »

19 GMT should be fine for most people. And it's fine if someone can't play one week because the AI manages generally well. We could do with a rule that AI-controlled player nations can't be attacked.
United States of America occamslightsaber
Retired Contributor
ESO: L1BERTYPR1ME

Post by occamslightsaber »

Civ 5? I didnā€™t buy Civ 6 since most reviews were ā€œmehā€.
The scientific term for China creating free units is Mitoe-sis.

I intend all my puns.
Great Britain Riotcoke
Retired Contributor
ECL Reigning ChampsDonator 01
ESO: Riotcoke
Clan: UwU

Post by Riotcoke »

I can play, civ 5 with no quitters is also very good like @occamslightsaber illudes to

twitch.tv/stangoesdeepTV
Netherlands Mr_Bramboy
Retired Contributor
Donator 01

Post by Mr_Bramboy »

Civ 6 is the better game with worse graphics.
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

occamslightsaber wrote:Civ 5? I didnā€™t buy Civ 6 since most reviews were ā€œmehā€.
That's not true. We actually looked into it before deciding which one to buy and civ 6 had great reviews, with many saying how its new mechanics add depth
Great Britain Horsemen
Jaeger

Post by Horsemen »

Civ 4 is the best civ game
Retired Contributor

Goodspeed wrote:
occamslightsaber wrote:Civ 5? I didnā€™t buy Civ 6 since most reviews were ā€œmehā€.
That's not true. We actually looked into it before deciding which one to buy and civ 6 had great reviews, with many saying how its new mechanics add depth
May be and I donā€™t recall any bad reviews either, but not everyone was a fan of the new district and combat systems as well as its overall cartoonish design iirc. I didnā€™t see any reason to get the new game when Civ5 was already more polished with tons of content and its sequel didnā€™t necessarily seem like an overwhelming improvement. But then again, that was three years ago, so I guess a lot of things could have changed since then.

I might just take your word for it and get it while itā€™s on sale over the holidays, although Iā€™m trying to get the most out of my $1 a month xbox game pass right now, so weā€™ll see.

I intend all my puns.
Great Britain Riotcoke
Retired Contributor
ECL Reigning ChampsDonator 01
ESO: Riotcoke
Clan: UwU

Post by Riotcoke »

Horsemen wrote:Civ 4 is the best civ game
I like civ 3 where you just spam cities

twitch.tv/stangoesdeepTV
No Flag kami_ryu
Retired Contributor

Post by kami_ryu »

-- deleted post --

Reason: on request (off-topic bulk delete)
Great Britain Horsemen
Jaeger

Post by Horsemen »

Riotcoke wrote:
Horsemen wrote:Civ 4 is the best civ game
I like civ 3 where you just spam cities
Civ 3 is a great game if you are a warmonger
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

occamslightsaber wrote:
Goodspeed wrote:
May be and I donā€™t recall any bad reviews either, but not everyone was a fan of the new district and combat systems as well as its overall cartoonish design iirc. I didnā€™t see any reason to get the new game when Civ5 was already more polished with tons of content and its sequel didnā€™t necessarily seem like an overwhelming improvement. But then again, that was three years ago, so I guess a lot of things could have changed since then.

I might just take your word for it and get it while itā€™s on sale over the holidays, although Iā€™m trying to get the most out of my $1 a month xbox game pass right now, so weā€™ll see.
Yeah not everyone is a fan of change, but it's hard to argue they were bad changes. Mainly the districts add a whole new dimension to city planning and the happiness per city makes much more sense than global happiness both from a game design perspective and a common sense perspective.

What changed about combat?
Retired Contributor

Goodspeed wrote:
occamslightsaber wrote:
Show hidden quotes

Yeah not everyone is a fan of change, but it's hard to argue they were bad changes. Mainly the districts add a whole new dimension to city planning and the happiness per city makes much more sense than global happiness both from a game design perspective and a common sense perspective.

What changed about combat?
Hmm... I think it may have been the lack of changes to combat, which could have used some tweaking. Last time I checked, the go-to composition was still getting a critical mass of ranged units to the point that they can even destroy their counter units like cav with ease. Games become stale when everyone is using the same composition all the time.

The changes (or the lack of them) werenā€™t my own main reasons for not buying Civ 6 though. There wasnā€™t much hype (Civ:BE had more even though the end product was mediocre) and like I said, Civ 6 seemed only like a minor improvement in gameplay over Civ 5 and a downgrade in terms of design, so I didnā€™t feel like it was worth its full price at the release. I should clarify that the reviews I read all liked the game overall, but it was my reaction to the details about the game laid out in those reviews that was ā€œmehā€.

I intend all my puns.
Retired Contributor

Civ 6 is major improvment over 5 tho, we often compare end product of civ 5 meaning civ 5 with all expansions to base civ 6 wherein it does suck, but from personal experience with RaF and GS expansions civ 6 is probably better. CIV 5 and CIV 6 both do get stale somewhat in later ages (civ 3 and 4 were excellent), however civ 6 is okayish after GS
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

I think I had a slight preference for Civ 5. To be honest both games have a pretty stellar early game and get a bit stale and annoying near the end game.
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

Yeah agreed on that. That's probably why civ games never get finished
Canada Jam
Jaeger
ESO: Hyperactive Jam

Post by Jam »

Why is the range on ICBM in Civ5 so low? That bothered me so much I used a mod.