Explaining "Liebe" in as much detail as my diseased brain can muster

This is for discussions about news, politics, sports, other games, culture, philosophy etc.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Explaining "Liebe" in as much detail as my diseased brain can muster

Post by fightinfrenchman »

So basically our story starts a little over two years ago (there are some details that go before this but they relate to events that I did not experience, you'll have to ask @gustavusadolphus for more info on those). Two members of the Basement we used to be friends with have a house near the Basement that we would regularly party at on the weekends. One weekend, one of the friends had recently bought a bread maker and was making bread. She ended up going to bed before it was done, and as far as I remember there was an agreement to wake her up when the bread was done, however I am not sure about this and am willing to admit to a misunderstanding. She got woken up and got made that music was being played on my Bluetooth speaker and physically confiscated the speaker from me. It would not be returned for several days; this later became known as "the speaker incident." The feud ended with me apologizing for the situation because I understood I was at some fault and I wanted to move on. This is important for realizing our actions later.

Fast forward about six months to the infamous Wildwood trip (you can follow along with what happened in real time in this thread). The two friends (who would later become known as the extortionists) booked the hotel room in Wildwood and me, cheadar, and gustav all paid a share of it because they invited us to come along. Everything seemed normal was we drove up (cheadar, gustav, and I in one car, the extortionists in their own car). We arrived at the hotel at around 9:00pm.

Please refer to the diagram of the hotel room below, keeping in mind one of the extortionists picked this room. Evil cheadar specifically mentioned that we would close the door between the living room space and the actual sleeping room while we were up to keep the noise down, being extra cognizant of the speaker incident and trying to be nice. She told us that that would not be necessary, as she would be taking a sleeping pill (she has since essentially called this fact "fake news").

The four of us (cheadar, gustav, me, and the other extortionist) each had about two shots of alcohol before heading out onto the boardwalk for some fun on the first night. We walked the entire length of it up and down, arriving back at the hotel at exactly 12:14am (according to my Google Maps timeline). We entered back into the room and got some more drinks to enjoy the night. The friend who came with us opened a Corona, put a lime in it, and I believe took one sip before being called back to bed by his wife, who had gotten up to use the bathroom. Cheadar, Gustav, and I continued hanging out for a little bit before going to bed. I took a shower before I went to bed and as I shared a bed with Gustav, cracked my big toe. He responded by cracking his back or something. We continued this for a few seconds before I stopped so as to not be too loud. I posted in the Wildwood thread at 1:55 am that I was in bed; this was the last night I did that night.

About 6 hours later, I awake to hear the friend who said she would take a sleeping pill saying something to the effect of, 'Turn on the lights, I don't care if it wakes them up, they didn't care if they messed up my sleep.' At this point I will have to defer to @gustavusadolphus for more info because he got up before this even happened and he has some more info about it. They left the room and I just sort of laid there, confused. Shortly after, gustav comes into the room and says, "they left." I'm extremely confused because that makes no sense. As he explains that they were mad about the noise the night before, I get ready for the day, only to discover that not only did they take all their stuff, they took my toothbrush. I'm still mad about this.

As we walk down the boardwalk to enjoy our own vacation, we get a call from the extortionists saying that we "can still salvage this vacation," and that she just wanted "one good night's sleep" (which is something she did not mention that original night). They're clearly fishing for an apology but we don't give it to them, knowing we did nothing wrong. Later, in a circus-themed part of an arcade, we get a call from them saying that the hotel room is in their name, and that if we don't agree to pay them their share of the room ($83) they will check us out, meaning all of our possessions left in the room could be stolen from us. This is when we started calling them "the extortionists." Gustav agrees to pay this extortion fee, and he ends up actually doing it after the trip ends which I thought was a mistake.

We spend the rest of the vacation talking about how crazy it was that they did that.

Fast forward a few months, we have secret email conversations with the friend who went on the boardwalk with us who says essentially to just keep it cool for a while and it will blow over (spoiler alert: it does not). Eventually I reach out and ask to have a meeting a local resaurant called Scooter's to talk about the situation. They say they "aren't ready yet," and I theorize that this is because their position is so untenably stupid that they need more time to come up with talking points.

When the meeting comes, there is awkward small talk for an unbearably long time. Gustav's phone is broken and he is using an HTC Aria from 2010 for some reason. Eventually, after I repeatedly kick cheadar in the shin, he starts the real discussion off, saying "Why do you think what you did was warranted?"

They're offended by the suggestion, and respond with basically incoherent nonsense, and revealing weird paranoid delusions like she heard me laughing and she assumed that it was at a joke at her expense, despite the fact that I was actually laughing at this video. Also: in January of that year, I agreed to go on a trip to London with the extortionists and even paid for a plane ticket. After the Wildwood incident I obviously said I wouldn't do that, despite them having already booked the room, and she compares me bailing on that trip for my own safety to what she did (which seems to imply that she knows what she did was wrong, but she doesn't actually admit this).

Fast forward a few months and we're at a cabin trip with the duo, and things are relatively normal, at least closer than before. We still don't go to their house anymore but things are warming up. A few months more go by and it's new year's last year, I actually do go to their house in an effort to patch things up basically. Another few months and just one of them comes up with us to the cabin, and gustav drunkenly confronts him about the incident. This really increases tensions, and I have not spoken to the extorionists since, despite sitting with them at multiple family gatherings of a family I do not technically belong to.

That brings us to June of 2019. The YouTube algorithm randomly suggests I watch an episode of Yu-Gi-Oh and, out of nostalgia, I do. I then continue watching the show because I unironically enjoy it. As we go to Wildwood again I see a card shop and buy a back of Yu-Gi-Oh cards out of nostalgia again. One of the cards I get is Superdreadnaught Rail Cannon Gustav Max, which I find hilarious, and I look it up and find out there is also a card called Superdreadnaught Rail Cannon Juggernaut Liebe. At this point we're constantly talking about Yu-Gi-Oh cards and making fun of the extortionists, and we've spent a year asking "why did they leave."

Eventually these things combine to say "why did they liebe," where we define "liebe" as leaving but also ruining your interpersonal relationships for years to come, and also you do it for no good reason.

That's basically it. I may edit this later with even more information.

:ear:
Attachments
wildwood hotel room.PNG
Dromedary Scone Mix is not Alone Mix
Great Britain Horsemen
Jaeger

Re: Explaining "Liebe" in as much detail as my diseased brain can muster

Post by Horsemen »

What the fuck
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Also I believe "liebe" is a German word and idk how it's actually pronounced but say it like "leave" but with a B
United States of America n0el
ESOC Business Team
ESO: jezabob
Clan: 팀 하우스

Post by n0el »

Well, what about Lucy?
mad cuz bad
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

n0el wrote:Well, what about Lucy?
I believe she was in a kennel during the trip. I'm not sure if she was released early due to them liebing
France Rikikipu
Retired Contributor
ESO: p-of

Post by Rikikipu »

I have to admit this was really close, but I think we got our forum post of the decade here
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Rikikipu wrote:I have to admit this was really close, but I think we got our forum post of the decade here
All it took was my brain being completely broken forever. Worth it
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

So how does this tie in with toon world?
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

RefluxSemantic wrote:So how does this tie in with toon world?
Toon World is a Yu-Gi-Oh card used by the antagonist of the first series, and he also uses "Toon" versions of the hero's cards. Basically the theory is that ever since the incident (i.e., the liebing) we've been living in an alternate reality called "Toon World" where things don't make sense.
Great Britain Riotcoke
Retired Contributor
ECL Reigning ChampsDonator 01
ESO: Riotcoke
Clan: UwU

Post by Riotcoke »

Thank for you this, I've been confused ever since you told me about it in the taxi.

twitch.tv/stangoesdeepTV
ESOC Business Team

Post by n0el »

There’s no question, YuGiOh was one of the worst things ever made.
mad cuz bad
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Riotcoke wrote:Thank for you this, I've been confused ever since you told me about it in the taxi.
Maybe I should print this out on pamphlets so I can explain it more effectively.
ESOC Business Team

Post by n0el »

Riotcoke wrote:Thank for you this, I've been confused ever since you told me about it in the taxi.
If you knew the extortionists it would make more sense.
mad cuz bad
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

n0el wrote:There’s no question, YuGiOh was one of the worst things ever made.
I like it
France Rikikipu
Retired Contributor
ESO: p-of

Post by Rikikipu »

fightinfrenchman wrote:
Toon World is a Yu-Gi-Oh card used by the antagonist of the first series, and he also uses "Toon" versions of the hero's cards. Basically the theory is that ever since the incident (i.e., the liebing) we've been living in an alternate reality called "Toon World" where things don't make sense.
God this is so true! I completely forget about it, and after googling I remember now. I even believe in the episodes this has a big impact if I remember correctly between the antagonist and YuGi, @fightinfrenchman can you confirm ?

Canada Jam
Jaeger
ESO: Hyperactive Jam

Post by Jam »

n0el wrote:There’s no question, YuGiOh was one of the worst things ever made.
Those are dueling words, mister.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Rikikipu wrote:
fightinfrenchman wrote:
God this is so true! I completely forget about it, and after googling I remember now. I even believe in the episodes this has a big impact if I remember correctly between the antagonist and YuGi, @fightinfrenchman can you confirm ?

Yes this is correct. I recently bought a few dozen copies of the card to burn them in a ritual to heal my brain. It did not work.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

fightinfrenchman wrote:Later, in a circus-themed part of an arcade, we get a call from them saying that the hotel room is in their name, and that if we don't agree to pay them their share of the room ($83) they will check us out, meaning all of our possessions left in the room could be stolen from us.
Here's the place where we received the official threat.
Attachments
IMAG0107.jpg
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

Incredible synopsis. The analysis is thorough and the fine details lend credence to your position. I still refuse to fully endorse any stance without hearing the extortionists' version too.

Users of ESOC would do well to understand the magic one experiences when crafting a novel word with a meaning otherwise not represented in the language. I would be excited too.

Here is an option you haven't outwardly addressed: the extortionists don't want to be friends anymore, and the events that took place were merely an "out"
because they are too weak or petty to afraid to confront that obstacle. Even if the husband still wanted to remain friends, his wife perhaps doesn't, and that relationship will expectedly take priority of yours.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

@deleted_user4 Yes over the summer I participated in what was essentially an ad hoc group therapy session with gustav and cheadar's family about that. It should be noted that the one extortionist (the one who came with us on boardwalk) is their brother.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

@deleted_user4 Also the issue with hearing their point of view is that it is full of literal lies, just straight up claiming the sleeping pill and door details didn't happen.
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

deleted_user wrote: Even if the husband still wanted to remain friends, his wife perhaps doesn't, and that relationship will expectedly take priority of yours.
Why does your wife need to be part of every friendship that you have?
ESOC Business Team

Post by n0el »

Sounds like my sister in law tbh
mad cuz bad
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

RefluxSemantic wrote:
deleted_user wrote: Even if the husband still wanted to remain friends, his wife perhaps doesn't, and that relationship will expectedly take priority of yours.
Why does your wife need to be part of every friendship that you have?
The weird wrinkle here is that I wasn't really friends with him until he was dating her, so I was pretty close with both of them and we hung out pretty frequently. This all seemed to come out of nowhere; I mean, she was the one who invited us
Netherlands edeholland
ESOC Community Team
Donator 01
ESO: edeholland
GameRanger ID: 4053888
Clan: ESOC

Post by edeholland »

@Goodspeed I hold you responsible for this post