What's your most controversial opinion?

This is for discussions about news, politics, sports, other games, culture, philosophy etc.
United States of America occamslightsaber
Retired Contributor
ESO: L1BERTYPR1ME

Re: What's your most controversial opinion?

Post by occamslightsaber »

Drugs are bad, m’kay?
The scientific term for China creating free units is Mitoe-sis.

I intend all my puns.
Netherlands dietschlander
Lancer

Post by dietschlander »

We as humans deserve to be bit by nature from time to time
Theres going to be a dam, the great dam and we'll let the beavers pay for it - Edeholland 2016
Anyway, nuancing isn't your forte, so I'll agree with you like I would with a 8 year old: violence is bad, don't do hard drugs and stay in school Benj98
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

I don't like the idea of using chemicals to "boost" sensory experiences. Seems lazy to me.
Also, I don't see any value in injecting hallucinations in your perception.
Italy gamevideo113
Howdah
ESO: gamevideo113

Post by gamevideo113 »

New mildly controversial opinion: we should all quit most social media.
Probably most of you will not find this particularly controversial, but basically everybody IRL has given me weird looks/asked "how come?" when i told them i suspended my instagram account and i intend not to use it again. I haven't used it in 6 months now i think.
[Some people aspire to be pr30+, some people aspire to have fun, and some people aspire to play 3v3 Deccan.] - vividlyplain - 2019 Who (nationality) rape ?
stupid logic. noob players can say op?
toxic, Insult, Racism ?
United States of America Amsel_
Howdah
ESO: The_Amsel

Post by Amsel_ »

occamslightsaber wrote:Drugs are bad, m’kay?
I don't even need to get the bug zapper. These spiders are already baked.
Netherlands edeholland
ESOC Community Team
Donator 01
ESO: edeholland
GameRanger ID: 4053888
Clan: ESOC

Post by edeholland »

Riotcoke wrote:You can't get addicted to LSD.
Physically no, but you can get addicted to the experience or the state of mind.
Netherlands edeholland
ESOC Community Team
Donator 01

Post by edeholland »

gamevideo113 wrote:New mildly controversial opinion: we should all quit most social media.
Probably most of you will not find this particularly controversial, but basically everybody IRL has given me weird looks/asked "how come?" when i told them i suspended my instagram account and i intend not to use it again. I haven't used it in 6 months now i think.
Agreed when it comes to Facebook / Instagram. Stuff like WhatsApp (or Telegram or Signal for those using that) probably has a net positive effect on my life, but I can't say the same for Facebook, Instagram, Twitter or Google+.
United States of America Amsel_
Howdah
ESO: The_Amsel

Post by Amsel_ »

LSD is not chemically addictive in the same way things like opioids are. Please don't blur the lines by saying "You can get addicted to the experience." It can be quite disastrous if someone comes to a wrong conclusion about addiction. Drug addictions are focused on sating what feels like a biological urge. People can have strong compulsions, but not everything can sneak up on you from minor use and become addictive. Look at food. Lots of people get extremely happy to eat good food; but despite eating multiple times a day, and often enjoying it, most people don't become binge eaters killing themselves with tens of thousands of calories. Meanwhile, someone could occasionally smoke a cigarette their co-worker gives them during their lunch break, not even think much about it, and still end up addicted. His body acclimates to the presence of nicotine, and now he needs nicotine in order to feel normal. There is a difference. Even the happy and the strong can become chemically addicted. Other peculiar compulsions that people develop tend to be formed as an outlet for some sort of underlying neuroses.
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

Dolan wrote:I don't like the idea of using chemicals to "boost" sensory experiences. Seems lazy to me.
Agreed tbh. The hallucinations are fun but I could do without them. The value for me is in the changed state of mind.
Netherlands edeholland
ESOC Community Team
Donator 01

Post by edeholland »

fightinfrenchman wrote:Mine is that Bohemian Rhapsody (the song not the movie) is really overrated.
What do you think about the movie then? IMDB probably overrates it, but does Rottentomatoes' critic score of 61% do that as well?
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

gamevideo113 wrote:New mildly controversial opinion: we should all quit most social media.
I never got instragram and facebook is basically dead so I've effectively quit social media. I dont see the value of it anymore.
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

The only social media I ever participated in are forums like this one, and Reddit.
Speaking of social media I have another potentially controversial opinion: This is fun
Tokelau jesus3
Jaeger

Post by jesus3 »

I can see how Instagram, Twitter or reddit can be of use other than self-confirmation through likes, shares and responses.
It's an immediate and direct way of rather informal communications and thus it also harbors an entertainment, possibly also an information factor.
For artists it can be a platform to share information and build their personas and fan-communities more. For the fan itself it can present a way of getting to know their favorite musician, artist, politician, comedian, royal etc. better.

I'm pretty sure there are many more individual reasons for people to still use it which I haven't even thought of. Of course, most of them will me highly normative and subjective and not "objectively" useful.
Great Britain I_HaRRiiSoN_I
Retired Contributor

Post by I_HaRRiiSoN_I »

@Diarouga is actually an alright lad

very controversial
Netherlands edeholland
ESOC Community Team
Donator 01

Post by edeholland »

Goodspeed wrote:Speaking of social media I have another potentially controversial opinion: This is fun
Is that similar to this movie? Or based on the same book/idea? I found the premise interesting but it was a bad movie overall, unfortunately.
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

Bob Dylan, overrated.
The Beatles, overrated.
Oasis also overrated.

Sex Pistols, not even music. Gtfo with that fake, staged media experiment shit.

John Lennon, 90% overrated, with a few good songs here and there. Fake bourgeois hippie, tho.
Charles Manson, underrated and wronged by the system. Nevr frget.

Led Zeppelin, not overrated much (maybe just a tiny bit), but Plant's voice is terrible.
Michael Jackson. Overrated singer, ridiculously good dancer. He could basically create optical illusions with dancing.

Kanye West, can this guy even sing without autotune? Probably good producer and studio nerd.
Death Grips, overrated white noise, probably forced industry plant.
Billie Ellish, average voice, average songs, lots of fashion bullshit and hostile kid attitude, just the right combo to make zoomers' eyes bubble with hearts.
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

edeholland wrote:
Goodspeed wrote:Speaking of social media I have another potentially controversial opinion: This is fun
Is that similar to this movie? Or based on the same book/idea? I found the premise interesting but it was a bad movie overall, unfortunately.
It's not
Players starts off isolated in an apartment, and with their online interactions as their only means of any communication. The players use a social media platform called "The Circle".
Tokelau jesus3
Jaeger

Post by jesus3 »

Dolan wrote:Bob Dylan, overrated. idk
The Beatles, overrated. Nobody argues their albums are great I guess, it's just the "Hits"
Oasis also overrated. agree

Sex Pistols, not even music. Gtfo with that fake, staged media experiment shit. idk don't care

John Lennon, 90% overrated, with a few good songs here and there. Fake bourgeois hippie, tho. agree on the music, but he prolly was a real hippie
Charles Manson, underrated and wronged by the system. Nevr frget. idk

Led Zeppelin, not overrated much (maybe just a tiny bit), but Plant's voice is terrible. never connected with that
Michael Jackson. Overrated singer, ridiculously good dancer. He could basically create optical illusions with dancing. agree

Kanye West, can this guy even sing without autotune? Probably good producer and studio nerd. sing? No, but rap. Autotune is a stylistic divice, a stylistic choice rather than a cheat
Death Grips, overrated white noise, probably forced industry plant. I like a few songs
Billie Ellish, average voice, average songs, lots of fashion bullshit and hostile kid attitude, just the right combo to make zoomers' eyes bubble with hearts. yea completely agree, she's just this generation's Avril Lavigne
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

Also the guy was living in an expensive apartment in Manhattan, getting hauled by a limo with his own personal driver and whatnot, while preaching solidarity with the working class.
Hippie to the bone.
Italy gamevideo113
Howdah
ESO: gamevideo113

Post by gamevideo113 »

Dolan wrote:Bob Dylan, overrated.
The Beatles, overrated.
Oasis also overrated.

Sex Pistols, not even music. Gtfo with that fake, staged media experiment shit.

John Lennon, 90% overrated, with a few good songs here and there. Fake bourgeois hippie, tho.
Charles Manson, underrated and wronged by the system. Nevr frget.

Led Zeppelin, not overrated much (maybe just a tiny bit), but Plant's voice is terrible.
Michael Jackson. Overrated singer, ridiculously good dancer. He could basically create optical illusions with dancing.

Kanye West, can this guy even sing without autotune? Probably good producer and studio nerd.
Death Grips, overrated white noise, probably forced industry plant.
Billie Ellish, average voice, average songs, lots of fashion bullshit and hostile kid attitude, just the right combo to make zoomers' eyes bubble with hearts.
Who would a good singer be, in your opinion? :hmm:
[Some people aspire to be pr30+, some people aspire to have fun, and some people aspire to play 3v3 Deccan.] - vividlyplain - 2019 Who (nationality) rape ?
stupid logic. noob players can say op?
toxic, Insult, Racism ?
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

I_HaRRiiSoN_I wrote:@Diarouga is actually an alright lad

very controversial
I think I agree
Great Britain Horsemen
Jaeger

Post by Horsemen »

Dolan wrote:I don't like the idea of using chemicals to "boost" sensory experiences. Seems lazy to me.
I, too, consume naught but oats and water.
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

gamevideo113 wrote:Who would a good singer be, in your opinion? :hmm:
Lemme think.

Guys:
Layne Staley
Chris Cornell
Chris Robinson from the Black Crowes
Bruce Dickinson from Iron Maiden
Steve Perry from Journey
Sebastian Bach from Skid Row
Freddie Mercury's voice I think is kinda overrated. Great range, but kinda unpolished and occasionally skips or misses notes. Still definitely notable and very flexible.
Younger George Michael, coz older started sparing himself, probly to avoid losing it.
Klaus Meine from Scorpions.
Lots of rock'n'roll notables, like: Little Richard, Sam Cooke, Van Morrison, James Brown, etc.
Brent Smith from the Shinedown. Sort of bland and generic, but guy can definitely sing a tune forcefully, without dropping a note.
Danny Worsnop
Corey Taylor of Slipknot
Brendon Urie from Panic at the Disco.

Grills:
Nina Simone
Cass Elliot from Mamas and Papas
Mariah Carey, but only early in her career. Now it's a joke and a complete shadow of her former voice.
Neli Andreeva, a Bulgarian singer/composer of traditional choir music. Nobody in the "global media" ever talks about her, but her voice is like 20x better than anything Beyonce can sing. Kinda shows the power of media hype and record house promotion.
Ann Wilson from Heart.
Stevie Nicks from Fleetwood Mac, but only in her young period. Later she got this smoker's voice that's not so cool anymore.
Lauryn Hill from the Fugees.
Jade Castrinos, who used to be in Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeroes. You can hear her in one of their songs, Remember to Remember. She actually sings live exactly as she did on the album. Which is kinda rare with so many autotuned and playback fakers today.
Kiesza, listen to her playing Hideaway live, in a setting in which she's not dancing, coz it's super-hard to both sing well and jump around. Kiesza's voice is 10x better than Billie Ellish's voice, and yet she didn't create such a media brouhaha as Ellish, probably because the latter is massively promoted by the record industry.
Kate Pierson from The B-52's.
Celine Dion, wadafuq level of great voice, but used in the most vomit-inducing sort of weepy, melodramatic pop.
Alannah Myles of Black Velvet 90s fame. That bad kitten voice <3
Sam Brown of "Stop" fame.

Etc, etc.

Btw, I'm not saying I like their music, I just mentioned a couple of vocalists that are technically good. There is a caveat, though, someone might be a shit singer, but they might still have some sort of character in their voice that makes their music unique and unmistakeable. So, if you asked me if I want to listen to Tame Impala or Panic at the Disco, I'd rather put up with Kevin Parker's strangled eunuch voice and listen to some good music, rather than listen to bland Panic at the Disco "heeey heeey woooah woooah" stuff, just because they have a better singer.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Post by fightinfrenchman »

A possibly controversial opinion I have is that I want car manufacturers to bring back cars with manual window controls.
Dromedary Scone Mix is not Alone Mix
Netherlands edeholland
ESOC Community Team
Donator 01

Post by edeholland »

fightinfrenchman wrote:A possibly controversial opinion I have is that I want car manufacturers to bring back cars with manual window controls.
Why?