What's your most controversial opinion?

This is for discussions about news, politics, sports, other games, culture, philosophy etc.
United States of America Cometk
Retired Contributor

Re: What's your most controversial opinion?

Post by Cometk »

wb sperm and egg
Great Britain chris1089
Retired Contributor
ESO: chris1089

Post by chris1089 »

Cometk wrote:wb sperm and egg
When they fuse you have new DNA. Before that they are just cells like skin, blodd, fat, epithelial etc.
Sweden Victor_swe
Lancer
Donator 01

Post by Victor_swe »

chris1089 wrote:If the child becomes a legitimate human being in its own right when it develops its own consciousness (which you can't define precisely btw), then when it loses consciousness it loses that value given to it on the basis of having consciousness.
LOGIC
im going back to making bad memes, ur hopeless
Dead hunts cant walk....

BrookG - "There is a G in everyone"
Armenia Sargsyan
Jaeger
Donator 01
ESO: lamergamer
Clan: c0ns

Post by Sargsyan »

krichk wrote:For some reason, you want the world to know that you're brave enough to challenge Challenger_Marco
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

chris1089 wrote:If the child becomes a legitimate human being in its own right when it develops its own consciousness (which you can't define precisely btw), then when it loses consciousness it loses that value given to it on the basis of having consciousness.
LOGIC
Except you're missing the part of the argument where this is only being discussed because the fetus is inside the mother, and the point isn't to kill it, but rather remove it from the mother, death being an unfortunate byproduct.
Hungary Dsy
Lancer

Post by Dsy »

This topic is way too much political. I dont get why 65/15 pages about abortion. There are so many non political stuffs you could mention in this topic.
US election might took away your mind guys.
United States of America vardar
Lancer
ESO: VardarB98/DemonDeacs

Post by vardar »

“Death being an unfortunate by product” :hmm:
c0ns!
Great Britain chris1089
Retired Contributor

Post by chris1089 »

Victor_swe wrote:
LOGIC
im going back to making bad memes, ur hopeless
Ur argument hopeless?
Great Britain chris1089
Retired Contributor

Post by chris1089 »

gibson wrote:
LOGIC
Except you're missing the part of the argument where this is only being discussed because the fetus is inside the mother, and the point isn't to kill it, but rather remove it from the mother, death being an unfortunate byproduct.
But the point is that this is considered an acceptable byproduct because the baby (fetus is just Latin for small child or baby) is not considered to have consciousness.
United States of America Cometk
Retired Contributor

Post by Cometk »

It took me 7 months but I finally thought of an opinion of mine that could be viewed as controversial. I hate babies
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

chris1089 wrote:
gibson wrote:
LOGIC
But the point is that this is considered an acceptable byproduct because the baby (fetus is just Latin for small child or baby) is not considered to have consciousness.
But that doesn’t make it always acceptable to kill anything that lacks consciousness, the argument also hinges about bodily autonomy. There are two arguments that hinge upon each other here. You can’t remove one and put it in its own situation( killing anyone who lacks consciousness) and than act like that’s what gs was arguing for, which is why I called you out as a bad faith arguer in the first place and don’t know why I’m actually answering this.

Anyway For me it having consciousness isn’t relevant in terms of legality. It should be legal either way, although we should strive to lower the amount we do it via proper sex education, access to contraceptives etc.
Kiribati princeofcarthage
Retired Contributor

Post by princeofcarthage »

chris1089 wrote:
princeofcarthage wrote:Her body her choice is a perfectly reasonable statement. Why should someone be forced to carry something for 9 months. Not to mention the impact of that on the person and that you would be making child orphan effectively at birth.
So you believe that pregnant women have 2 hearts, 2 brains, 4 legs and 4 arms so that by having half of them cut up and sucked out of her uterus or dissolved in acid she is making a choice about her own body?
Its arguable based on at what stage of pregnancy she is. And yes she is making a choice about her body. She is choosing not to carry something in herself for months against her wish which is going to change her mentally and physically and affect her life in million ways. The "entity" you call is not independent of her body. It is part of her until it is not. I think tech to grow babies outside womb or transfer them in another woman is already in different phases of testing/underway which is a good alternative solution. But, until that is possible it is still her choice.
Fine line to something great is a strange change.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Post by fightinfrenchman »

@princeofcarthage How do you feel about vanilla
Dromedary Scone Mix is not Alone Mix
Retired Contributor

fightinfrenchman wrote:@princeofcarthage How do you feel about vanilla
You will have to be more specific, vanilla is a spice and nothing controversial about it.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

princeofcarthage wrote:
You will have to be more specific, vanilla is a spice and nothing controversial about it.
Vanilla ice cream. Thoughts? Opinions? Or what
Retired Contributor

fightinfrenchman wrote:
princeofcarthage wrote:
It is a very basic and neutral flavor. I think most people like it.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

princeofcarthage wrote:
fightinfrenchman wrote:
Show hidden quotes
It is a very basic and neutral flavor. I think most people like it.
Someone said it was bad. It's also not neutral, it's vanilla flavored
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

Vanilla ice cream is great ice cream. The flavor of the rich cream supports and steadies the more expressive, more nimble vanilla. They share the stage well in different but equal capacities. Too many ice creams try to do too much and come off as overwhelming. Vanilla is a duet out of Nutcracker.

For some reason I can eat a pint of shitty Ben and Jerrys and hate my life afterwards. But when I go to an actual ice cream parlor with 20% butterfat cream and fresh, slow-churned, deep-in-texture, dense ice cream made with local milk and eggs, I only want the smallest serving of natural vanilla served in a paper dish. Now frick, that's a fucking treat -- 10x better than any pint of B&Js.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

My most controversial opinion is that nothing beats a Dominos bread bowl
Great Britain chris1089
Retired Contributor

Post by chris1089 »

gibson wrote:
chris1089 wrote:
Show hidden quotes
But that doesn’t make it always acceptable to kill anything that lacks consciousness, the argument also hinges about bodily autonomy. There are two arguments that hinge upon each other here. You can’t remove one and put it in its own situation( killing anyone who lacks consciousness) and than act like that’s what gs was arguing for, which is why I called you out as a bad faith arguer in the first place and don’t know why I’m actually answering this.

Anyway For me it having consciousness isn’t relevant in terms of legality. It should be legal either way, although we should strive to lower the amount we do it via proper sex education, access to contraceptives etc.
Could you explain which words he said that argue that because I don't see them?
Retired Contributor

Callen posts be like

1 min: 3 lines
3 min : 5 lines
15 min: 9 lines
30 min: 2 paragraphs
1 hr: tl:dr
India Ashvin
Retired Contributor
ESO: Octanium

Post by Ashvin »

gibson wrote:
LOGIC
Do you even know how abortion works?
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

chris1089 wrote:
Goodspeed wrote:
Show hidden quotes
Like I said for me it's about consciousness. Once the bunch of cells develops its own consciousness we can consider it a separate entity from the mother. Before that, it's just that: a bunch of cells, and part of the mother's body, so it's her decision what to do with it. I don't care if it has unique DNA.
So I take it you are consistent and believe it is ok for me to enter a hospital and murder people who are in comas.
Please do better than this. It seems rather pointless to spend time explaining the differences between murdering a coma patient and abortion. In this context, I suppose the important ones are:
- The coma patient had consciousness before and lost it (although we still don't really know what goes on in a coma patient's head); a 5 weeks old bunch of cells never had it
- The coma patient is not part of you
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

chris1089 wrote:
Goodspeed wrote:
Show hidden quotes
The scientific method god? Can you explain what you think that is, exactly?

People can believe whatever they want. My issue is with institutional religion. It is and has been extremely destructive.
Taking the scientific method as the highest standard of authority.
The scientific method is simply a formalized way to learn from observation, something everyone does every day. It doesn't replace god and god doesn't replace it. A higher power is not a method of gaining knowledge. That's why it has no place in schools.
People makes gods out of something, it's just a question of what.
I don't. Neither do most people I know.
Why is religion being institutionalised worse than religion that isn't in your view?
Institutionalized religion has some really nasty side effects. To be honest, I don't really feel like getting into it. They should be obvious to anyone. I think most importantly to me, organized religion tends to be an anti-intellectual movement and anti-intellectualism is one of the more damaging "isms".
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

@Goodspeed Why don't you ever respond to questions I ask you in my dreams?