COVID-19 / Coronavirus Outbreak

This is for discussions about news, politics, sports, other games, culture, philosophy etc.
United States of America evilcheadar
Gendarme

Re: COVID-19 / Coronavirus Outbreak

Post by evilcheadar »

It’s over
A post not made is a post given away

A slushie a day keeps the refill thread at bay

Jackson Pollock was the best poster to ever to post on these forums
United States of America XeeleeFlower
Retired Contributor
Xeelee Patron

Post by XeeleeFlower »

Seriously, please stop with the "it's over", "we're doomed", etc. It's really discouraging to read. You're saying it to be funny, but for some people, this is an absolutely terrible time.

My grandpa's brother died last week. No funeral and only immediate family members were allowed at the grave site on Saturday. His wife was feeling sick and she went to the ER on Sunday. She's now in isolation at the hospital with pneumonia and tested for the virus. She is doing very poorly. This is in a tiny town of 10k people in the middle of nowhere. I had hoped that the area would remain untouched. My grandma's health is pretty bad so I know that if she got this, she will die. For years I have been struggling to come to terms with my grandma dying. She nearly has a few times. Now, how the fuck am I supposed to come to terms with it if I can't even see her or be with my family when it happens?!

I am so angry by the ineptitude of governments not taking it seriously and/or having limited reactions to it. I'm pissed by all the people who ignore it. I'm sad for everyone who has lost and will lose people they love. I feel guilt and sickness that I'm not able to be there for my family or even help in some way.

How are you all doing? How are you coping?
Time is wise and our wounds seem to heal to the rhythm of aging,
But our past is a ghost fading out that at night it’s still haunting.

http://www.galactanet.com/oneoff/theegg_mod.html
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

I am coping by saying life = over. It's definitely not a joke.

Unfortunately life = over is only confirmed in your post.
United States of America evilcheadar
Gendarme

Post by evilcheadar »

Yes I wish “it’s over” was only a dumb joke. Sadly it’s true for people with varying levels of permanency. Optimistically normal life is over for just a few months for most people.
A post not made is a post given away

A slushie a day keeps the refill thread at bay

Jackson Pollock was the best poster to ever to post on these forums
Vietnam duckzilla
Jaeger

Post by duckzilla »

XeeleeFlower wrote:Seriously, please stop with the "it's over", "we're doomed", etc. It's really discouraging to read. You're saying it to be funny, but for some people, this is an absolutely terrible time.

My grandpa's brother died last week. No funeral and only immediate family members were allowed at the grave site on Saturday. His wife was feeling sick and she went to the ER on Sunday. She's now in isolation at the hospital with pneumonia and tested for the virus. She is doing very poorly. This is in a tiny town of 10k people in the middle of nowhere. I had hoped that the area would remain untouched. My grandma's health is pretty bad so I know that if she got this, she will die. For years I have been struggling to come to terms with my grandma dying. She nearly has a few times. Now, how the fuck am I supposed to come to terms with it if I can't even see her or be with my family when it happens?!

I am so angry by the ineptitude of governments not taking it seriously and/or having limited reactions to it. I'm pissed by all the people who ignore it. I'm sad for everyone who has lost and will lose people they love. I feel guilt and sickness that I'm not able to be there for my family or even help in some way.

That sounds horrible. I wish you and your family the best. The chances may look bad, but there is still a possibility to recover from corona.

I guess I'm rather lucky. I do not have many relatives who belong to a high risk group. Mainly my 96 -year-old grandmother. But I think she would be quite okay with dying. Friends and siblings already dead, she lived a very long life and her physicians already told her 15 years ago that her heart is so bad that she could drop dead every moment. Also, the German governmental and health care institutions make a relatively good impression. I did not really expect this.
Whatever is written above: this is no financial advice.

Beati pauperes spiritu.
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

princeofcarthage wrote:France UK Netherlands Switzerland Belgium seems to be growing pretty fast now
NL growth is fortunately not really exponential.
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

XeeleeFlower wrote:Seriously, please stop with the "it's over", "we're doomed", etc. It's really discouraging to read. You're saying it to be funny, but for some people, this is an absolutely terrible time.

Its a tough time, stay strong and safe!

My grandparents died quite a while ago, so I dont have to worry about them. I suppose I have some aunts and uncles that would be at risk, but I dont have too much connection with them. My parents are in perfect health so theres nothing to worry about there.

That being said I sometimes get emotional about the greater picture. On the one hand its just a very sad time and on the other hand I occasionally get really angry at the lax attitude some people seem to have. Fortunately most of the time Im not really thinking about it too much.
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

-- deleted post --

Reason: on request (off-topic bulk delete)
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/incog_aoe
Garja wrote:
20 Mar 2020, 21:46
I just hope DE is not going to implement all of the EP changes. Right now it is a big clusterfuck.
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

RefluxSemantic wrote:
princeofcarthage wrote:France UK Netherlands Switzerland Belgium seems to be growing pretty fast now
Or our testing growth isn't exponential
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

Goodspeed wrote:
RefluxSemantic wrote:
Look at deaths/hospitalization. Dont look at the number of people infected.
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavir ... therlands/

That daily new deaths graph may not be technically exponential but it's not linear either.
Kiribati princeofcarthage
Retired Contributor

Post by princeofcarthage »

RefluxSemantic wrote:
Goodspeed wrote:
Show hidden quotes
The thing is usual comparative metrics don't work in this situation. And even in those Netherlands is at pretty top which is going to get just worse.
Fine line to something great is a strange change.
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

princeofcarthage wrote:
RefluxSemantic wrote:
Show hidden quotes
The thing is usual comparative metrics don't work in this situation. And even in those Netherlands is at pretty top which is going to get just worse.
??????

What about the metrics does not work? The growth is not exponential and there's no reason to assume it is.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Post by fightinfrenchman »

I'm not trying to be funny, this is how I cope. My dad is 69, my mom is immunocompromised, my boss is 65 and has multiples severe illnesses that make him more susceptible, and his wife has cancer and is currently doing chemo. I am constantly freaking out about it
Dromedary Scone Mix is not Alone Mix
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

-- deleted post --

Garja wrote:
I just hope DE is not going to implement all of the EP changes. Right now it is a big clusterfuck.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

I never claimed to live a model life
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

-- deleted post --

Garja wrote:
United States of America n0el
ESOC Business Team
ESO: jezabob
Clan: 팀 하우스

Post by n0el »

I’m sorry to hear that. Hoping for the best in times where it is easy to think the worst.
mad cuz bad
Great Britain InsectPoison
Lancer

Post by InsectPoison »

One thing I'm not seeing discussed as much is the economic repercussions of this pandemic. The economic fallout is going to be catastrophic, possibly worse than the pandemic itself. Entire industries are going to go bankrupt, the world can only halt to a stop for so long. The unemployment rate is going to skyrocket in most countries and a lot of people are going to lose their jobs. Governments can give cash cheques and subsidise wages for only so long. If it carries on I can see Italy and Spain needing a bailout, a depression is imminent. This pandemic has also revealed the north/south divide within the EU. Clearly there is a lot less "European solidarity" than previously thought and state-nationalism will always prevail in times of crisis like this. The whole Eurobond fiasco that France-Italy-Spain are pushing which is being rejected by Germany-Netherlands has shown that at the end of the day. This is one of the most significant events in the EU history. It will be interesting to see the dynamics of it.
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

-- deleted post --

Garja wrote:
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

InsectPoison wrote:Governments can give cash cheques and subsidise wages for only so long.
Just fix the printer if it breaks
Great Britain InsectPoison
Lancer

Post by InsectPoison »

iNcog wrote:It hardly revealed something that was already known to be there.
There's a difference between knowing something exists and acknowledging its existence. Commentary from politicians on both sides consolidates that.
Vietnam duckzilla
Jaeger

Post by duckzilla »

There is a lot of uncertainty.

The EU may look bad in the current situation. However, that is the result of member states loving to bask in nationalist glory. If you want the EU to look better in crisis times, you should give more power to Brussels. Bilateral help is happening on a small scale. Much more is difficult to do, given that countries who still have free capacities might need these within days or few weeks for their own population.

I would love to see a renewed effort towards a proper European consitution. Unfortunately, I have a hard time believing in it. This is mainly due to the very heterogeneous landscape of member state constitutions and political systems. E.g. French and German citizens have a very hard time understand each others political power structures. In Germany you have lots of federalism and souverainty on the lowest level, such as cities or villages. In France everything seems to be decided at the Elysée palace, even rather local problems. The European Union is again different than Ger/Fra. However, it incorporates many ideas close to federalism (principle of subsidiarity). I'm under the impression that the more centralist a country is, the more its citizens feel somewhat dominated by Brussels, because this is what they know from their own political system. An Englishman from the countryside might feel ignored by his own politicians from London and transfer this feeling over to the EU, assuming that it is "another London on top of it" which just steals more autonomy.
Whatever is written above: this is no financial advice.

Beati pauperes spiritu.
Kiribati princeofcarthage
Retired Contributor

Post by princeofcarthage »

RefluxSemantic wrote:
princeofcarthage wrote:
Show hidden quotes
??????

What about the metrics does not work? The growth is not exponential and there's no reason to assume it is.
I never claimed growth was exponential, I just said they are growing pretty fast. You need to stop putting your assumptions and words in other peoples sentences as they completely change the meaning of one has to say.
Fine line to something great is a strange change.
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

Not that I want to nitpick, however since you started with it: I never said you were saying that.

I don't even understand your post then.. What about the metrics does not work? They are pretty good I'd assume. It's not exponential and it won't be and we'll probably reach a peak soon.