COVID-19 / Coronavirus Outbreak

This is for discussions about news, politics, sports, other games, culture, philosophy etc.
Great Britain Horsemen
Jaeger

Re: COVID-19 / Coronavirus Outbreak

Post by Horsemen »

international boundaries are arbitrary social constructs
Great Britain chris1089
Retired Contributor
ESO: chris1089

Post by chris1089 »

*but necessary
Canada Jam
Jaeger
ESO: Hyperactive Jam

Post by Jam »

Great Britain oats13
Lancer

Post by oats13 »

We hold these truths to be self-evident. All men and women created by the you know, you know the thing.
United States of America n0el
ESOC Business Team
ESO: jezabob
Clan: 팀 하우스

Post by n0el »

deleted_user wrote:required reading: https://www.kuow.org/stories/what-these ... in-seattle
Good account of real life. Not just in Seattle
mad cuz bad
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

Going to improve my mask fit with a wire clothes hanger and rubber bands like this: https://www.designboom.com/design/every ... 4-11-2020/
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Post by fightinfrenchman »

deleted_user wrote:Going to improve my mask fit with a wire clothes hanger and rubber bands like this: https://www.designboom.com/design/every ... 4-11-2020/
What if I have no more wire hangers?
Dromedary Scone Mix is not Alone Mix
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

fightinfrenchman wrote:
deleted_user wrote:Going to improve my mask fit with a wire clothes hanger and rubber bands like this: https://www.designboom.com/design/every ... 4-11-2020/
What if I have no more wire hangers?
Any pliable metal works. Bobby pins?
Netherlands Mr_Bramboy
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: [VOC] Bram

Post by Mr_Bramboy »

deleted_user wrote:required reading: https://www.kuow.org/stories/what-these ... in-seattle
I just want to go to the beach, man
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

Over here it seems to be magically going away now, which is something I struggle understanding.
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

Must be that "expiring incubation period" for most people who were in isolation, so the virus just ran out of hosts in most cases. It could come back, though.
Great Britain chris1089
Retired Contributor

Post by chris1089 »

RefluxSemantic wrote:Over here it seems to be magically going away now, which is something I struggle understanding.
It's similar here. (Lol typed hear first time)Feels like the only reason lock down isn't ending is because that would be admitting it was wrong to have a lockdown (or at least for as it has been.) I can't decide whether this is because the lockdown was too effective and pushed out the disease so quickly that we will now get hit by a second wave, or whether the disease has gone through enough of the population to give a significant level of Immunity, rendering the lockdown irrelevant.
Kiribati princeofcarthage
Retired Contributor

Post by princeofcarthage »

It is the first one, Lockdown was effective. As a result virus ran out of hosts to spread the disease. The lockdown is still continuing because we don't to risk its spread again primarily cuz of 2 reasons:
1) Virus is vanishing but we do not have enough data to confirm if spread is actually stopped or can be contained without lockdown.
2) Long incubation period of upto 14 days. Meaning theoretically you should have no new cases for 14 days until lockdown can be lifted.
Fine line to something great is a strange change.
Great Britain chris1089
Retired Contributor

Post by chris1089 »

If it is the first one though, I don't understand why dragging everything out helps. We've built extra hospitals that aren't being used, and not overwhelming the infrastructure was the only reason for the lockdown anyway. Meanwhile we are nose diving into a global depression.
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

The thing is we don't know its the first one. Of course we need to try to mitigate economic damage by being cautious and gradually opening things up but that also counts on people taking precautions, which in the united states isnt happening and the numbers show it.
Retired Contributor

chris1089 wrote:If it is the first one though, I don't understand why dragging everything out helps. We've built extra hospitals that aren't being used, and not overwhelming the infrastructure was the only reason for the lockdown anyway. Meanwhile we are nose diving into a global depression.
Because you are not sure if the virus is indeed out yet. There is no reliable evidence for that. Also cuz from the day of virus contained/0 cases you need to wait 14 days to be sure. Arguably lockdown shouldn't have been imposed in first place but now that you have, if you open it too soon you make the sacrifice irrelevant.
United States of America XeeleeFlower
Retired Contributor
Xeelee Patron

Post by XeeleeFlower »

princeofcarthage wrote:Arguably lockdown shouldn't have been imposed in first place
?!
Time is wise and our wounds seem to heal to the rhythm of aging,
But our past is a ghost fading out that at night it’s still haunting.

http://www.galactanet.com/oneoff/theegg_mod.html
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

I really think it's the expiring incubation periods that made the virus run out of hosts so far. But it might still be lurking in some hosts that were infected more recently.

Then there might be some environmental changes that could slow down the spread. Like if humidity increases, this makes virus particles fail to stay up in the air for long enough time to pass from one host to another, because humidity makes those liquid droplets that float in the air (called aerosols) become larger and heavier, which makes them fall to the ground faster. So when someone talks loud or sneezes, virus particles will stay suspended in the air for a shorter amount of time if humidity increases. And generally, when summer comes, humidity goes up.
Great Britain chris1089
Retired Contributor

Post by chris1089 »

XeeleeFlower wrote:
princeofcarthage wrote:Arguably lockdown shouldn't have been imposed in first place
?!
I think he's right. All we are doing is dragging it out, were not stopping people from dying. The rate is decreased, but it doesn't decrease the area under "the curve." Instead we are just infringing on civil liberties and hurting the economy. Sub Saharan Africa for one is heading for famine.
United States of America occamslightsaber
Retired Contributor
ESO: L1BERTYPR1ME

Post by occamslightsaber »

Huge swarms of locusts are responsible for the famine in Sub-Saharan Africa though.
The scientific term for China creating free units is Mitoe-sis.

I intend all my puns.
United States of America XeeleeFlower
Retired Contributor
Xeelee Patron

Post by XeeleeFlower »

chris1089 wrote:
XeeleeFlower wrote:
?!
I think he's right. All we are doing is dragging it out, were not stopping people from dying. The rate is decreased, but it doesn't decrease the area under "the curve." Instead we are just infringing on civil liberties and hurting the economy. Sub Saharan Africa for one is heading for famine.
You need an avatar. It pains me to not see how people choose to express their identity. How can we get to know one another without an avatar?
Time is wise and our wounds seem to heal to the rhythm of aging,
But our past is a ghost fading out that at night it’s still haunting.

http://www.galactanet.com/oneoff/theegg_mod.html
Retired Contributor

Well the point is if lockdown wasn't imposed its possible region and world have been in better place to deal with the famine. Now not only the local region but world also can't do anything about it mostly. Locusts swarms also affecting India currently btw. Not so serious yet I think.
United States of America evilcheadar
Gendarme

Post by evilcheadar »

The lockdown is completely dumb and arguably stupid
A post not made is a post given away

A slushie a day keeps the refill thread at bay

Jackson Pollock was the best poster to ever to post on these forums
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

I saw my friends today. I'm sorry old people, I hope this won't end up killing you.