COVID-19 / Coronavirus Outbreak

This is for discussions about news, politics, sports, other games, culture, philosophy etc.
Great Britain Horsemen
Jaeger

Re: COVID-19 / Coronavirus Outbreak

Post by Horsemen »

The EU is officially turning into a rogue state

Imagine blocking exports of a vaccine you don't even want to use
https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/ ... 395ae58321
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

The EU Commission lass threatened going as far as seizing the means of production, so it doesn't seem to be a question of favouring some producers over others. Just a lot of autistic screetching about AZ's brazen actions to produce vaccines in Belgium (an EU state) and export them to the UK, contributing to the current higher rate of vaccination in the UK.
“We have observed that in the last six weeks, 10 million doses have been exported to the U.K.,” von der Leyen told reporters in Brussels. “The U.K. is producing AstraZeneca. In our contract with AstraZeneca there are two sites in the U.K. that are put in the contract for potential deliveries to the EU.”

The EU has blamed AstraZeneca’s failure to meet its delivery commitments for the region’s sluggish program. European officials consider that particularly galling when they see Britain’s vaccination rollout doing so much better -- thanks in part to supplies coming from the EU.

Von der Leyen said that EU leaders should consider additional measures to secure vaccine supplies when they meet next week, including the potential use of emergency legal powers to effectively seize control of production and distribution.

“All options are on the table. We are in the crisis of the century. I am not ruling out anything for now because we have to make sure that Europeans are vaccinated as soon as possible,” she said, when asked whether the EU should invoke Article 122 of the EU treaty. The clause allows the introduction of emergency measures when “severe difficulties arise in the supply of certain products.”
Kiribati princeofcarthage
Retired Contributor

Post by princeofcarthage »

Good thing tbh. I have consistently said that EU needs to punish UK swiftly and descivesly in order to 1) Make them regret leaving EU 2) To deter any future defectors. A successful UK post Brexit is not only a threat to EU but also to world hegemony. One of the way of doing that is of course punishing UK companies.
Fine line to something great is a strange change.
Netherlands Mr_Bramboy
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: [VOC] Bram

Post by Mr_Bramboy »

AstraZeneca shall pay for not delivering enough of their faulty vaccines that we refuse to use.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Post by fightinfrenchman »

Not good enough imo

Dromedary Scone Mix is not Alone Mix
Great Britain chris1089
Retired Contributor
ESO: chris1089

Post by chris1089 »

princeofcarthage wrote:Good thing tbh. I have consistently said that EU needs to punish UK swiftly and descivesly in order to 1) Make them regret leaving EU 2) To deter any future defectors. A successful UK post Brexit is not only a threat to EU but also to world hegemony. One of the way of doing that is of course punishing UK companies.
What utter twaddle. EU does and did nothing for world hegemony.
No Flag atiq629
Musketeer

Post by atiq629 »

princeofcarthage wrote:Good thing tbh. I have consistently said that EU needs to punish UK swiftly and descivesly in order to 1) Make them regret leaving EU 2) To deter any future defectors. A successful UK post Brexit is not only a threat to EU but also to world hegemony. One of the way of doing that is of course punishing UK companies.
Calm down hitler
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

Getting my first dose if Pfizer tomorrow
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

gibson wrote:Getting my first dose if Pfizer tomorrow
I'll give you $1400 if you let me get it instead
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

fightinfrenchman wrote:
Do you have evidence of living or working in Hamilton County?
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

gibson wrote:
fightinfrenchman wrote:
Do you have evidence of living or working in Hamilton County?
Just let me use your name
Retired Contributor

chris1089 wrote:
On the contrary it indirectly does a lot. Without EU, China will rip apart individual countries just like Russia would without Nato. EU being so big virtually guarantees protections not just to EU countries but other developing countries as well which China can easily rip apart. Why do you think China is giving so much free loans, money, investments, infrastructure to strategic smaller countries around the world? You are underestimating the soft power that EU yields.
Great Britain chris1089
Retired Contributor
ESO: chris1089

Post by chris1089 »

princeofcarthage wrote:
chris1089 wrote:
On the contrary it indirectly does a lot. Without EU, China will rip apart individual countries just like Russia would without Nato. EU being so big virtually guarantees protections not just to EU countries but other developing countries as well which China can easily rip apart. Why do you think China is giving so much free loans, money, investments, infrastructure to strategic smaller countries around the world? You are underestimating the soft power that EU yields.
Can't you have a free trade agreement for that. No need for the centralising, anti-democratic, bloated, bureaucratic entity called the EU.
Also how do you know it is the EU that provides this protection? How do you know that the institutions or voter priorities in the countries within the EU are not more robust than in other countries?
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Nice

No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Eurotrash we call em

Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

Sigh
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

Not bad. AstraZeneca needs to lose contracts in Europe, anyway.
Play dumb games (with distribution of vaccines), win dumb prizes.
Netherlands Mr_Bramboy
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: [VOC] Bram

Post by Mr_Bramboy »

I called my local GGD (health clinic, basically) and asked if I could be administered the AstraZeneca vaccine since many doses were rotting away as we speak. I offered to sign an exoneration clause (which is legal in The Netherlands, not sure about other jurisdictions) in case of any unforeseen damages but we, unfortunately, couldn't reach an agreement. Such a waste. I also called my GP but she's not allowed to put me on the list so to say, her department just handles the vaccinating itself.
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

My confidence in AZ has actually gone up now that they've released serious data to back up their claim of protection against severe covid.
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

Mr_Bramboy wrote:I called my local GGD (health clinic, basically) and asked if I could be administered the AstraZeneca vaccine since many doses were rotting away as we speak. I offered to sign an exoneration clause (which is legal in The Netherlands, not sure about other jurisdictions) in case of any unforeseen damages but we, unfortunately, couldn't reach an agreement. Such a waste. I also called my GP but she's not allowed to put me on the list so to say, her department just handles the vaccinating itself.
Yes the people have to be protected against themselves and their reckless behavior; This is a dangerous substance we're talking about.
Retired Contributor

There is so much salt in this thread
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

In Romania we have an online platform, a website, through which you can see if there are any available vaccines in every city and if you find an open spot you can make an appointment.
Both for the first shot and the recall (the follow-up vaccine).

I'm checking right now in my county and there's a waiting list for the next batch of vaccines. You can put your name on the waiting list only, right now. Last week, they had thousands of doses, though, I was able to make an appointment for some of my family. They get exhausted fast, though, in just a few hours, so you have to keep an eye on the website.

So, there's no need to call any doctor or phone line, it's all done online. They even send you a text message and sometimes call you before your appointment, to make sure you're coming.
It's actually surprisingly well-organised and it's being developed and improved on the go, which you wouldn't expect of Romania.
Vietnam duckzilla
Jaeger

Post by duckzilla »

The AstraZeneca vaccine is significantly safer than Aspirin. Just read the damn package insert.
Whatever is written above: this is no financial advice.

Beati pauperes spiritu.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Mr_Bramboy wrote:I called my local GGD (health clinic, basically) and asked if I could be administered the AstraZeneca vaccine since many doses were rotting away as we speak. I offered to sign an exoneration clause (which is legal in The Netherlands, not sure about other jurisdictions) in case of any unforeseen damages but we, unfortunately, couldn't reach an agreement. Such a waste. I also called my GP but she's not allowed to put me on the list so to say, her department just handles the vaccinating itself.
This makes you seem like an asshole