COVID-19 / Coronavirus Outbreak

This is for discussions about news, politics, sports, other games, culture, philosophy etc.
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Re: COVID-19 / Coronavirus Outbreak

Post by Dolan »

I can't post the article because Bloomberg now puts all their articles behind a paywall. So I posted just the headline returned by a search.
Latvia harcha
Gendarme
ESO: hatamoto_samurai

Post by harcha »

so whos gonna pay
POC wrote:Also I most likely know a whole lot more than you.
POC wrote:Also as an objective third party, and near 100% accuracy of giving correct information, I would say my opinions are more reliable than yours.
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

wardyb1 wrote:Dolan only posting the headline and not the article. If it is only talking about one shot, it is a pretty dirty headline designed to create misinformation.
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... srael-says
Pfizer Inc.’s Covid-19 vaccine provided a strong shield against hospitalization and more severe disease in cases caused by the contagious delta variant in Israel in recent weeks, even though it was just 39% effective in preventing infections, according to the country’s health ministry.

The vaccine, developed with BioNTech SE, provided 88% protection against hospitalization and 91% against severe illness for an unspecified number of people studied between June 20 and July 17, according to a report Thursday from the health ministry.

The report said that the data could be skewed because of different ways of testing vaccinated groups of people versus those who hadn’t been inoculated. Still, the data are likely to fuel debate over whether booster shots should be given to people who’ve already been vaccinated -- something Pfizer has said it plans to request in the U.S. Israeli authorities said earlier this month they’ll only give a third round of shots to people with weakened immune systems.

The data out of Israel, which had earlier access to vaccines than most anywhere else in the world, contrast with a study out of the U.K. That paper, published this week in the New England Journal of Medicine, found that two doses of the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine offer 88% protection against symptomatic disease caused by the delta variant and 94% against the alpha variant that was first discovered in Britain. Public Health England also previously found that the Pfizer and BioNTech shot was 96% effective against hospitalization.

Pfizer and BioNTech are confident in the protection and safety of the two-dose vaccine, Pfizer said in a statement on Friday. BioNTech is conducting an ongoing review of study data on the vaccine, a spokeswoman said.

Analysis of the companies’ more than 43,000-person clinical trial shows that effectiveness against symptomatic infection dips over time, from 95% in the first two months to the low- to mid-80% range four to six months after the second dose, Pfizer said.

From Alpha to Delta, Why Virus Mutations Cause Alarm: QuickTake

The delta variant first emerged in India and is spreading around the globe as governments race to inoculate people, sometimes infecting those already fully vaccinated against Covid. The mutation has forced some countries to delay or rethink plans to loosen curbs on businesses, activity and travel.

Israel has had one of the world’s most effective inoculation drives, with 57% of the population fully vaccinated, but has seen a recent surge in infections due to delta. Critical cases have also climbed, but remain a fraction of the peak earlier this year.

Prime Minister Naftali Bennett has urged vaccine holdouts -- who number some 1.1 million people -- to get inoculated, calling it the most effective way to defeat the delta strain. The government has also reinstated some restrictions for indoor events and plans to ban flights to several countries with rising infection rates, including the U.K. and Cyprus.
There you go.
Latvia harcha
Gendarme

Post by harcha »

so essentially this
harcha wrote:is dolans post about spreading and ducks about hospitalization?
POC wrote:Also as an objective third party, and near 100% accuracy of giving correct information, I would say my opinions are more reliable than yours.
Kiribati princeofcarthage
Retired Contributor

Post by princeofcarthage »

Get ready peeps, something far worse is coming far too soon.
Fine line to something great is a strange change.
Latvia harcha
Gendarme

Post by harcha »

delta 2: the electric boogaloo coming soon tm
sourced in india???
Retired Contributor

You sound like we intentionally developed the covid variant to fuck with the world and now are sitting on beaches enjoying chaat.
Latvia harcha
Gendarme

Post by harcha »

you sound like you have some inside knowledge. tell me - what is The Model saying?
Retired Contributor

I can't. I signed an NDA with The God when I traded my soul for the inside information. I can only post speculative and indiscriminate warnings of the future.
United States of America XeeleeFlower
Retired Contributor
Xeelee Patron

Post by XeeleeFlower »

Oof

Time is wise and our wounds seem to heal to the rhythm of aging,
But our past is a ghost fading out that at night it’s still haunting.

http://www.galactanet.com/oneoff/theegg_mod.html
Vietnam duckzilla
Jaeger

Post by duckzilla »

Anglo-Saxon intelligence STONK
Whatever is written above: this is no financial advice.

Beati pauperes spiritu.
Argentina Jotunir
Howdah

Post by Jotunir »

princeofcarthage wrote:Get ready peeps, something far worse is coming far too soon.
Si vis pacem, para bellum.
princeofcarthage wrote:I can't. I signed an NDA with The God when I traded my soul for the inside information. I can only post speculative and indiscriminate warnings of the future.
Are you sure it was The God? :devilrazz:
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

rofl

comedy material
Retired Contributor

Only if someone had warned. Oh wait...
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

I did say Biden was unfit, but then 5 years ago I also said both Clinton and Trump were unfit. What can you do if your political system fails to produce real leaders.
I've seen a similar trend in my country too, though, I don't think it only happens in the USA. There must be some kind of social dynamics that make it impossible for people with great leadership skills to rise to the top. Something's blocking this.
Maybe democratisation itself, the rule of the lowest common denominator.
Vietnam duckzilla
Jaeger

Post by duckzilla »

Which political system succeeds to produce real leaders? I think it is easy to bash democracy, but I struggle to find real leaders on the global stage in other political systems, too. The few examples of relatively good leadership, in my eyes, are democracies, e.g. New Zealand. But that's a highly subjective matter, depending on which qualities one thinks make up a real leader. I could imagine that people think some strongmen like Xi/Putin/Assad or whatever are real leaders. In my eyes, they are not.

Beati pauperes spiritu.
Retired Contributor

I think a well educated society consistently produces good leaders. But empires most certainly almost always have reached their peak or golden era under authoritarian system. (Authoritarian doesn't always imply negative though the word has negative connotations.) Authoritarian systems fail cuz overtime the wish to hold onto power never fades and leaders never leave power until it's too late or are removed. Those later 10-30 years of their rules are marred by bad policies and decisions which results in societal decline and most of the time future turns out dystopian due to snowball effect. This is why most empires have lasted 3-5 generations. In that sense UK was quite unique but one could argue it wasn't really a democracy in true sense until late 19th or early 20th century or maybe even till WW 2. Democracy has this weird relation with freedom which results in decline overtime.
United States of America Cometk
Retired Contributor

Post by Cometk »

i mean who could really disagree that a neo-liberal capitalist democracy which refuses to restrict corporate campaign finance would produce a legislature full of plutocratic shitstains
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

duckzilla wrote:Which political system succeeds to produce real leaders? I think it is easy to bash democracy, but I struggle to find real leaders on the global stage in other political systems, too. The few examples of relatively good leadership, in my eyes, are democracies, e.g. New Zealand. But that's a highly subjective matter, depending on which qualities one thinks make up a real leader. I could imagine that people think some strongmen like Xi/Putin/Assad or whatever are real leaders. In my eyes, they are not.
I'm not sure if it's the political system itself that is likely to produce a particular type of leaders. I mean, even in pre-modern monarchical regimes you could identify kings/emperors who had varying degrees of positive and negative impact on society. Napoleon was both a beast of low impulses, a great military killer, but also an impactful law giver. That's why most of continental Europe today uses a Napoleonic code of law, which sets us apart from, say, the Anglo world.

I think it's likely that the social culture plays a bigger role. And democratisation has embedded a certain social culture that makes parties pick leaders based on collective agreement and values, by what impresses the mass of party members. Candidates have learned that they need to adjust their discourse to please this mass, rather than just present their vision. Sometimes party candidates resort to backroom deals with certain financial backers and key figures in the party, there's some degree of compromises being made to gain the support of influential party figures. This also tends to promote at the top people who have no problem selling themselves a bit for that prised position of power, making that pact with the devil just to ascend.

Often great leaders appear despite what the masses want or vote, against the common consensus of the "reasonable middle ground" crowd. Because, you know, great qualities are not that widespread... Otherwise we'd have an Einstein or Newton born every decade, but we don't. We know that this kind people of great insight, who are able to bring about a new way of seeing the world is very rare and appears usually in people with unusual, difficult or even abrasive personalities. So not exactly the people pleasers we see today ingratiating themselves with the media in the hope of winning that popularity contest that would propel them to power.
Retired Contributor

Cometk wrote:i mean who could really disagree that a neo-liberal capitalist democracy which refuses to restrict corporate campaign finance would produce a legislature full of plutocratic shitstains
So you would say that the system itself is flawed? Because any good leader wouldn't get chance, elected and/or finance to reach the top, and without the backing of few lobbyists/groups/corporates it would be impossible to reach the top?
United States of America Cometk
Retired Contributor

Post by Cometk »

princeofcarthage wrote:
Cometk wrote:i mean who could really disagree that a neo-liberal capitalist democracy which refuses to restrict corporate campaign finance would produce a legislature full of plutocratic shitstains
So you would say that the system itself is flawed? Because any good leader wouldn't get chance, elected and/or finance to reach the top, and without the backing of few lobbyists/groups/corporates it would be impossible to reach the top?
what system
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

@duckzilla I'm not gonna discuss de Gaulle's entire political legacy, but for example his position of vetoing Britain's entry into the European Community shows he had a foreboding that such a move would create trouble in the future. And that's what happened, history pretty much confirmed him. That kind of position is a sign of someone with genuine leadership qualities.
Again, not saying that everything he did was equally good, just an example of one action.
Vietnam duckzilla
Jaeger

Post by duckzilla »

Dolan wrote:@duckzilla I'm not gonna discuss de Gaulle's entire political legacy, but for example his position of vetoing Britain's entry into the European Community shows he had a foreboding that such a move would create trouble in the future. And that's what happened, history pretty much confirmed him. That kind of position is a sign of someone with genuine leadership qualities.
Again, not saying that everything he did was equally good, just an example of one action.
I think de Gaulle is a nice example for the problem of defining a great leader. A politician can be great in certain aspects, e.g. de Gaulle with his veto, Brandt with his Ostpolitik or Trump with his aggressive stance against China in trade relations. But on the hand the underlying reasons are difficult to assess in the aftermath (de Gaulle and Brandt might have had a good sense of Realpolitik, while Trump might just hate China or vice versa) and on the other hand the leadership qualities can often be questioned when looking into other contexts (Algerian War or Brandt's fall in the wake of a scandal surrounding a communist spy in his inner circle).

Beati pauperes spiritu.
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

@duckzilla Yeah, exactly. It's the same for Napoleon, he brought a lot of destruction but also set the foundations for a lot of useful things.

Maybe a better example of a great leader is Majorian, one of the last emperors of the Western Roman empire. He was the last one who actually mounted a forceful effort to save the empire.
But the writing was already on the wall, the centre of power was shifting to the east.
No Flag lejend
Jaeger

Post by lejend »

I don't really get the need for "great leaders" in politics. Any problem you have, you should solve it yourself with the help of your family, friends, religious congregation, and other NGOs. The only time the government should get involved is when your problem requires force to be solved, like when someone steals a precious family heirloom and refuses to return it peacefully. But that's not something that demands "great political leaders"; any moderately competent cop can do the job.