COVID-19 / Coronavirus Outbreak

This is for discussions about news, politics, sports, other games, culture, philosophy etc.
Kiribati princeofcarthage
Retired Contributor

Re: COVID-19 / Coronavirus Outbreak

Post by princeofcarthage »

I would rather rot in deepest hole of Guantanamo bay, I would rather get abused by drug lords in mexican prison than to ever marry you.
Fine line to something great is a strange change.
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

princeofcarthage wrote:What does being a first world country has to do with anything? It was mostly a geopolitical term and is mostly outdated now.
As someone from a very rich first world country, it's definitely not. I already feel like I'm in a second world country when I go 300 km south. It's an unreal difference tbh.
Argentina Jotunir
Howdah

Post by Jotunir »

princeofcarthage wrote:I would rather rot in deepest hole of Guantanamo bay, I would rather get abused by drug lords in mexican prison than to ever marry you.
Well, one would certainly find the "deepest hole" there :lol:
Netherlands Mr_Bramboy
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: [VOC] Bram

Post by Mr_Bramboy »

RefluxSemantic wrote:
princeofcarthage wrote:What does being a first world country has to do with anything? It was mostly a geopolitical term and is mostly outdated now.
As someone from a very rich first world country, it's definitely not. I already feel like I'm in a second world country when I go 300 km south. It's an unreal difference tbh.
Everything east of Utrecht is basically Poland to me. In Germany, you can't even pay with card in most places. I would not be surprised if they did not have sewers there, to be honest.
Retired Contributor

RefluxSemantic wrote:
Yeah... maybe read up on it.
Great Britain Riotcoke
Retired Contributor
ECL Reigning ChampsDonator 01
ESO: Riotcoke
Clan: UwU

Post by Riotcoke »

This wouldn't happen in a first world country, that's why.
Attachments
India.jpg

twitch.tv/stangoesdeepTV
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

Mr_Bramboy wrote:Everything east of Utrecht is basically Poland to me. In Germany, you can't even pay with card in most places. I would not be surprised if they did not have sewers there, to be honest.
Wtf. Here I can pay with the card even if I get a pizza delivered at the door. The guy who delivers it has a mobile credit card processor. And that's a small company.
At the grocery store I can pay with the phone too.
Romania superpower 2030 tbh ngl
Great Britain Riotcoke
Retired Contributor
ECL Reigning ChampsDonator 01
ESO: Riotcoke
Clan: UwU

Post by Riotcoke »

Dolan wrote:
Mr_Bramboy wrote:Everything east of Utrecht is basically Poland to me. In Germany, you can't even pay with card in most places. I would not be surprised if they did not have sewers there, to be honest.
Wtf. Here I can pay with the card even if I get a pizza delivered at the door. The guy who delivers it has a mobile credit card processor. And that's a small company.
At the grocery store I can pay with the phone too.
Romania superpower 2030 tbh ngl
Yea cash isn't accepted at a load of places here now either.

twitch.tv/stangoesdeepTV
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

I think it wont be long until paying by card is outdated. I know people that only pay using their phone.

I even know places where you can pay by direct bank transfer
Retired Contributor

Its like we have been paying even street vendors through phone for past 4 or so years. Welcome to third world. And literally used mobile transfers (cashless, cardless) for 10 or so years.
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

princeofcarthage wrote:Its like we have been paying even street vendors through phone for past 4 or so years. Welcome to third world. And literally used mobile transfers (cashless, cardless) for 10 or so years.
How long until we start shitting on the streets?
Retired Contributor

I don't get your obsession with shitting on streets. Its an unfortunate consequence of lack of education something which is rapidly changing. Its not like Europeans never used to shit on streets. Its just that you got educated/developed faster and the cost of it has been lack of the said education or development in Africa, South America, and Asia. Again something which is rapidly changing. 2020 reports estimate that 95% + people in the country now have access to toilets, double from 2016 estimate. So yeah whatever...
Vietnam duckzilla
Jaeger

Post by duckzilla »

Funny, that's pretty much what we say about everything east of the Rhine being essentially the Siberian steppes.
Whatever is written above: this is no financial advice.

Beati pauperes spiritu.
Vietnam duckzilla
Jaeger

Post by duckzilla »

princeofcarthage wrote:I don't get your obsession with shitting on streets. Its an unfortunate consequence of lack of education something which is rapidly changing. Its not like Europeans never used to shit on streets. Its just that you got educated/developed faster and the cost of it has been lack of the said education or development in Africa, South America, and Asia. Again something which is rapidly changing. 2020 reports estimate that 95% + people in the country now have access to toilets, double from 2016 estimate. So yeah whatever...
Show some pity for the British and Dutch. Both apparently need to debase other people to feel better about themselves. For the British that is not very new behavior, in the Dutch case I wonder why.

Beati pauperes spiritu.
Netherlands Mr_Bramboy
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: [VOC] Bram

Post by Mr_Bramboy »

duckzilla wrote:
princeofcarthage wrote:I don't get your obsession with shitting on streets. Its an unfortunate consequence of lack of education something which is rapidly changing. Its not like Europeans never used to shit on streets. Its just that you got educated/developed faster and the cost of it has been lack of the said education or development in Africa, South America, and Asia. Again something which is rapidly changing. 2020 reports estimate that 95% + people in the country now have access to toilets, double from 2016 estimate. So yeah whatever...
Show some pity for the British and Dutch. Both apparently need to debase other people to feel better about themselves. For the British that is not very new behavior, in the Dutch case I wonder why.
I never debased anyone or anything. I just questioned Carthage's doubts about the relevance of the term 'first-world country'. The 'status' of the country correlates with its wealth and allows it to acquire different types and quantities of vaccines. As Pfizer is the Rolls-Royce of the vaccines, it is indeed strange that both Australia and New-Zealand have set their sights on AZ.
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

duckzilla wrote:
I think poop on street jokes are funny. I also feel a slight sense of pride in having some of the best infrastructure in the world.

But seriously, the term first world country is still very much applicable and that's my primary point. When you want to debunk the idea of first world countries by bringing up the fact that 'only' 5% of your country does not have access to toilets, you know that first world countries are still a thing.

In the context of vaccines, it is also very much a thing. For example, India has a GDP per capita of about 2000 USD while the Netherlands has a GDP per capita of 52000 USD. It makes quite the difference in this case, as India would have to spent almost 2% of their total GDP on vaccines if they were to buy an expensive vaccine like Pfizer. For NL, this is not even 0.1%. Astrazeneca is approximately 1/10th the cost, so it would make sense that a country like India would opt for that vaccine instead. NZ is similarly rich, so I don't understand why they would ever go for the budget option.
Great Britain Horsemen
Jaeger

Post by Horsemen »

Mr_Bramboy wrote:
RefluxSemantic wrote:
Everything east of Utrecht is basically Poland to me. In Germany, you can't even pay with card in most places. I would not be surprised if they did not have sewers there, to be honest.
says the swamp german
Great Britain Horsemen
Jaeger

Post by Horsemen »

RefluxSemantic wrote:Gotta say, I had no side-effects from Pfizer other than a bit of a sore arm. No fever, not even tired. Spent the next day doing all sorts of chores, of which the majority required some significant lifting/work and I didn't even feel tired at all. That's why I'm a bit surprised that a first world country like NZ would ever settle for Astrazeneca.

EDIT: given that jotunir decided to like this, I think I need to clarify that I think that Astrazeneca is still a great vaccine. It's just that I'd expect one of the richer countries in the world to go for the best vaccines out there, rather than second best. Similarly, the EU got contracts for additional Pfizer/Moderna up until something like 2023 and basically hasn't ordered anything else afaik.
pfizer gave me a full body rash
Vietnam duckzilla
Jaeger

Post by duckzilla »

Mr_Bramboy wrote:I never debased anyone or anything. I just questioned Carthage's doubts about the relevance of the term 'first-world country'. The 'status' of the country correlates with its wealth and allows it to acquire different types and quantities of vaccines. As Pfizer is the Rolls-Royce of the vaccines, it is indeed strange that both Australia and New-Zealand have set their sights on AZ.
I meant specifically the "shitting in the streets" topic.
RefluxSemantic wrote:I think poop on street jokes are funny.
I guess there is room for improvement regarding your humour's level of sophistication.

Beati pauperes spiritu.
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

Horsemen wrote:pfizer gave me a full body rash
THAT MEANS IT'S WORKING
Retired Contributor

Mr_Bramboy wrote:
duckzilla wrote:
I never debased anyone or anything. I just questioned Carthage's doubts about the relevance of the term 'first-world country'. The 'status' of the country correlates with its wealth and allows it to acquire different types and quantities of vaccines. As Pfizer is the Rolls-Royce of the vaccines, it is indeed strange that both Australia and New-Zealand have set their sights on AZ.
Except term is a geopolitical term often confused with industrialised and developed countries. All countries in US sphere of influence were considered to be first world countries while neutral countries were third world countries. The term lost its significance since the fall of Soviet union. It literally has nothing to do with the wealth of a nation.
Australia wardyb1
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: wardyb1

Post by wardyb1 »

Mr_Bramboy wrote:
duckzilla wrote:
I will add, the reason our government was so keen on AZ to begin with was because of our ability to manufacture it. We don't have anywhere to currently produce mRNA vaccines, and again our useless government hasn't made any real moves to begin that process despite it clearly being the best way out of the pandemic. They pretty much put all our chips on making our own and not relying on global supply chains, which in hindsight has proven to be poor because a lot of the population wants to wait for as you said the "Rolls Royce" of vaccines and is at least understandable.

This was also exacerbated by the constantly changing health advice from ATAGI (our immunisation people) on AZ and a scientifically illiterate population not understanding why the advice was changing. Add in the currently poor rules regarding who gets Pfizer and who gets AZ and you end up with a dogshit vaccine rollout.
“To love the journey is to accept no such end. I have found, through painful experience, that the most important step a person can take is always the next one.”
United States of America occamslightsaber
Retired Contributor
ESO: L1BERTYPR1ME

Post by occamslightsaber »

@wardyb1

Do you accept or do you accept?
The scientific term for China creating free units is Mitoe-sis.

I intend all my puns.
Vietnam duckzilla
Jaeger

Post by duckzilla »

occamslightsaber wrote:@wardyb1
Do you accept or do you accept?
Happy to supply you with the necessary means for further territorial expansion. Yours sincerely, a BioNTech shareholder.

Beati pauperes spiritu.
Retired Contributor

RefluxSemantic wrote:
duckzilla wrote:
I think poop on street jokes are funny. I also feel a slight sense of pride in having some of the best infrastructure in the world.

But seriously, the term first world country is still very much applicable and that's my primary point. When you want to debunk the idea of first world countries by bringing up the fact that 'only' 5% of your country does not have access to toilets, you know that first world countries are still a thing.

In the context of vaccines, it is also very much a thing. For example, India has a GDP per capita of about 2000 USD while the Netherlands has a GDP per capita of 52000 USD. It makes quite the difference in this case, as India would have to spent almost 2% of their total GDP on vaccines if they were to buy an expensive vaccine like Pfizer. For NL, this is not even 0.1%. Astrazeneca is approximately 1/10th the cost, so it would make sense that a country like India would opt for that vaccine instead. NZ is similarly rich, so I don't understand why they would ever go for the budget option.
first world country literally meant only us allied countries. The definition changed drastically post ussr fall and to avoid confusion is mostly dropped now and replaced by terms like developed, underdeveloped, developing, least developed terms. First world country is not a thing anymore and most definitely not decided by wealth of a country. Pre 91 countries like switzerland, Finland, austria were third world countries...