COVID-19 / Coronavirus Outbreak

This is for discussions about news, politics, sports, other games, culture, philosophy etc.
Kiribati princeofcarthage
Retired Contributor

Re: COVID-19 / Coronavirus Outbreak

Post by princeofcarthage »

fightinfrenchman wrote:
princeofcarthage wrote:
Show hidden quotes
You live in toon world if you think you didn't pay for pfizer.
I didn't pay for Pfizer
You did.
Fine line to something great is a strange change.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Post by fightinfrenchman »

princeofcarthage wrote:
fightinfrenchman wrote:
Show hidden quotes
I didn't pay for Pfizer
You did.
How
Dromedary Scone Mix is not Alone Mix
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

princeofcarthage wrote:I do however think he is dedicated to space exploration. Yes, its not like Musk is going to manually build all equipments and fly people to Mars. But which leader does? Even geniuses are stray sheeps without proper leader and its a rare coincidence that Musk is a dedicated leader and brilliant. If anyone from the current generation is capable it is him. Of course lot of other factors also come in play like politics and stuff.
You have a very rosy picture of those people. They're in this for the image, they have a lot of money and they're bored. Beyond a certain level of wealth, you don't even care about getting more wealth, you care about accumulating bragging points. I think I explained the upper classes' mentality before. These people don't care about steering humanity towards [heroic bullshit here], they care about being seen as trailblazers. It's a question of what some sociologists called sign value. It's a new type of prestige, if you will. And they want to buy it with the wealth they accumulated, because obviously they're not smart enough to build those tools themselves, they need to employ actually bright people whose names don't appear in the media.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Dolan wrote:You have a very rosy picture of those people. They're in this for the image,
Exemplified brilliantly by Jeff Bezos getting that horrible botox
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

And Bill Gates who apparently got mixed up with Epstein not for the happy island parties, but because he thought Epstein was well-connected and could have helped Gates get a Noble prize for peace.
Yeah, it was all for personal vanity, the guy has more money than he needs, he wants to buy his "place in history" too now.
Retired Contributor

Dolan wrote:
princeofcarthage wrote:I do however think he is dedicated to space exploration. Yes, its not like Musk is going to manually build all equipments and fly people to Mars. But which leader does? Even geniuses are stray sheeps without proper leader and its a rare coincidence that Musk is a dedicated leader and brilliant. If anyone from the current generation is capable it is him. Of course lot of other factors also come in play like politics and stuff.
You have a very rosy picture of those people. They're in this for the image, they have a lot of money and they're bored. Beyond a certain level of wealth, you don't even care about getting more wealth, you care about accumulating bragging points. I think I explained the upper classes' mentality before. These people don't care about steering humanity towards [heroic bullshit here], they care about being seen as trailblazers. It's a question of what some sociologists called sign value. It's a new type of prestige, if you will. And they want to buy it with the wealth they accumulated, because obviously they're not smart enough to build those tools themselves, they need to employ actually bright people whose names don't appear in the media.
And I don't particularly deny or disagree with your assessment. Whatever the reason maybe, the important thing is that progress is happening. Also Musk literally got accepted into one of the toughest field at Stanford university, so calling him anything less than bright shows your egoistic nature than anything.
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

princeofcarthage wrote:And I don't particularly deny or disagree with your assessment. Whatever the reason maybe, the important thing is that progress is happening. Also Musk literally got accepted into one of the toughest field at Stanford university, so calling him anything less than bright shows your egoistic nature than anything.
Sure, you need to have some brains to build that level of wealth, obviously. It's usually a middle class background and some brains. I don't really know all the background information on how he got accepted at Stanford. I had a work colleague with a similar background as him and he got into a Harvard program just because his parents had the money to pay for it. Again, why do these people do this? Because having such a degree gives you bragging points when you meet your upper class buddies. They're all about bragging about achievements. Growing up in that environment makes you seek those kinds of achievements and use family resources and connections to get there.
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

duckzilla wrote:
princeofcarthage wrote:
Show hidden quotes
Ngl, you are like the elites. You sought to benefit from a global pandemic, feeding on the last savings of poor.
Maybe. But actually I invested into BioNTech, not Pfizer. Mostly due to their promising cancer research. Got lucky with the covid19 vaccine.
Did Pfizer also intens to use the mrna technology for cancer treatment? I read that Modernas plan was to immunize people against their cancer cells, but for that they needed a more adaptable way of vaccinating and thats why they pursued the hyperadaptable mrna technology.

Its quite ingenious tbh. Im sure this will be the future of vaccines in general.
Retired Contributor

He literally said that BioNTech which developed the Pfizer vaccine is focused on cancer research which is also mRNA based.
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

mfw I just realised the reason why fighting :ear: man was so eager to get vaxxed was to save the lives of his favourite demographic, boomers. :hmm:
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

The importance of branding
Latvia harcha
Gendarme
ESO: hatamoto_samurai

Post by harcha »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FHlLEt-vb8
https://www.forbes.com/sites/brucejapse ... 09fb0b47ae
Paycheck reduction for not being vaccinated.

So far in my job I felt like it would have been beneficial to not tell anyone I'm vaccinated, because then I woulda been able to work from home more. However this is a good reason for the contrary. Though I'm mostly interested in how legal this is or would be in Europe.
POC wrote:Also I most likely know a whole lot more than you.
POC wrote:Also as an objective third party, and near 100% accuracy of giving correct information, I would say my opinions are more reliable than yours.
Australia wardyb1
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: wardyb1

Post by wardyb1 »

harcha wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FHlLEt-vb8
https://www.forbes.com/sites/brucejapse ... 09fb0b47ae
Paycheck reduction for not being vaccinated.

So far in my job I felt like it would have been beneficial to not tell anyone I'm vaccinated, because then I woulda been able to work from home more. However this is a good reason for the contrary. Though I'm mostly interested in how legal this is or would be in Europe.
Yes, I don't think this would pass muster in any countries where medical insurance isn't tied to jobs (I think pretty much only the US does that right?). For instance the article mentions the deductions smokers face in some jobs, but I presume that is both a medical insurance thing + lost time at work due to extra smoke breaks.
There is definitely the argument to losing your job for not being vaccinated if you come into contact with literally anybody as it can be argued they are a greater danger to being "safe" at work.
“To love the journey is to accept no such end. I have found, through painful experience, that the most important step a person can take is always the next one.”
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

I kinda want us to just ignore anti-vaxxers. I can't go to parties atm, but wouldn't parties be pretty much safe if you demand a vaccination with pfizer/moderna/possibly AZ (not janssen, thats just not good enough) and then also demand people to get tested? But lawmakers don't want to exclude anti-vaxxers from events, so then nobody gets to enjoy life I suppose.
Latvia harcha
Gendarme

Post by harcha »

IDK if safe is the right word, but the risk would be far lower. If everyone is vaccinated, both the likelyhood (of spread) and the severity (of illness) are reduced, which is how risk is assessed.

We are working from office without masks because everyone is vaccinated. But of course it's still possible to catch covid. My gf felt ill today and co-worker as well. At this rate I shall stop coming to the office very soon.
POC wrote:Also as an objective third party, and near 100% accuracy of giving correct information, I would say my opinions are more reliable than yours.
No Flag howlingwolfpaw
Jaeger

Post by howlingwolfpaw »

THIS IS BIG !!! and short..... Last night, I watched this amazing movie that really everyone should watch, it was called "Flowers for Algernon" Full of deep emotions, I was laughing, tearing up, and everything in between. Just realizing the parallels of taking an experimental procedure, that at first greatly increased his intelligence, but it burned out his brain and eventually became dumber than he was before so much so he had to leave his old life behind. Swap that out for immunological response and what the CDC is saying here is an exact parallel.

Spain Snuden
Jaeger
ESO: Snuden

Post by Snuden »

howlingwolfpaw wrote:THIS IS BIG !!! and short..... Last night, I watched this amazing movie that really everyone should watch, it was called "Flowers for Algernon" Full of deep emotions, I was laughing, tearing up, and everything in between. Just realizing the parallels of taking an experimental procedure, that at first greatly increased his intelligence, but it burned out his brain and eventually became dumber than he was before so much so he had to leave his old life behind. Swap that out for immunological response and what the CDC is saying here is an exact parallel.

Sounds like coke, ngl.
(Posting on behalf of a friend)
[Sith] - Baphomet
No Flag howlingwolfpaw
Jaeger

Post by howlingwolfpaw »

I wouldnt know.
Rainbow Land callentournies
Howdah
ESO: esuck

Post by callentournies »

howlingwolfpaw wrote:THIS IS BIG !!! and short..... Last night, I watched this amazing movie that really everyone should watch, it was called "Flowers for Algernon" Full of deep emotions, I was laughing, tearing up, and everything in between. Just realizing the parallels of taking an experimental procedure, that at first greatly increased his intelligence, but it burned out his brain and eventually became dumber than he was before so much so he had to leave his old life behind. Swap that out for immunological response and what the CDC is saying here is an exact parallel.

the jews are trying to get it banned :O
If I were a petal
And plucked, or moth, plucked
From flowers or pollen froth
To wither on a young child’s
Display. Fetch
Me a ribbon, they, all dead
Things scream.
Latvia harcha
Gendarme

Post by harcha »

except taking the shot is not "experimental procedure"
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

Dutch health institute RIVM just reported that the vaccines have 97% efficacy against ICU admission.

That means that as far as I am concerned, the pandemic is over. The biggest spike we had before vaccinating was in december/beginning of january. At that peak, the RIVM estimates that we had about 165,000 infected people. That resulted in 700 ICU admissions, which is a number that the Netherlands can handle reasonably well. Given that the vaccines reduce the risk of ICU admission by a factor 33, we would need to have ~5.4 million people concurrently infected (out of a total of 17 million inhabitants). The combination of vaccination preventing infection, spread and at that point herd immunity make it impossible for this to happen. If there are too many people claiming ICU beds, its because a large portion of those people are unvaccinated people. The government should announce that in such a scenario, vaccinated people will get priority and call it a day. This shit is done.
No Flag howlingwolfpaw
Jaeger

Post by howlingwolfpaw »

harcha wrote:

except taking the shot is not "experimental procedure"

why do you say that> is that because you think just because the FDA approved it means its safe? they approve fentanyl as a pain medication!
And no one has received the actual "approved" product yet, so even those getting it now are still under experimental rules/laws.

Long term studies are still under way
No Flag howlingwolfpaw
Jaeger

Post by howlingwolfpaw »

RefluxSemantic wrote:Dutch health institute RIVM just reported that the vaccines have 97% efficacy against ICU admission.

That means that as far as I am concerned, the pandemic is over. The biggest spike we had before vaccinating was in december/beginning of january. At that peak, the RIVM estimates that we had about 165,000 infected people. That resulted in 700 ICU admissions, which is a number that the Netherlands can handle reasonably well. Given that the vaccines reduce the risk of ICU admission by a factor 33, we would need to have ~5.4 million people concurrently infected (out of a total of 17 million inhabitants). The combination of vaccination preventing infection, spread and at that point herd immunity make it impossible for this to happen. If there are too many people claiming ICU beds, its because a large portion of those people are unvaccinated people. The government should announce that in such a scenario, vaccinated people will get priority and call it a day. This shit is done.

where does this announcement come from by the CDC then? what do they know that are not telling people, but to expect early on vaccinated to get sicker?

(also note there were so many given out to so many different areas)
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

The fuck are you even talking about
Spain Snuden
Jaeger
ESO: Snuden

Post by Snuden »

A very rare form of word salad.
[Sith] - Baphomet