COVID-19 / Coronavirus Outbreak

This is for discussions about news, politics, sports, other games, culture, philosophy etc.
Latvia harcha
Gendarme
ESO: hatamoto_samurai

Re: COVID-19 / Coronavirus Outbreak

Post by harcha »

50% cure is good, but 80% prevention surely is better
POC wrote:Also I most likely know a whole lot more than you.
POC wrote:Also as an objective third party, and near 100% accuracy of giving correct information, I would say my opinions are more reliable than yours.
Rainbow Land callentournies
Howdah
ESO: esuck

Post by callentournies »

sometimes I think abstractly the real events of the future becoming like cross sections through lumpy ellipsoids -- extant and emergent, in moments. How will things look? Five years from now... happy, married? Working where? Alive? Or will I be down bad, sad. Dead. Liminally thick these musings are uneasy. I worry. I go to ESOC to distract myself. I read a princeofcarthage post. Flash of lining in mind's eye! I'll probably not be reading princeofcarthage posts! Exuberant!
If I were a petal
And plucked, or moth, plucked
From flowers or pollen froth
To wither on a young child’s
Display. Fetch
Me a ribbon, they, all dead
Things scream.
Kiribati princeofcarthage
Retired Contributor

Post by princeofcarthage »

Happy? Are you fucking kidding me? This should have been 12 months ago instead of vaccines. Millions would have been saved. At least moderna made a potent vaccine unlike pfizer which intentionally reduces potency after just 6 months, whose ceo is just interested in counting profits from vaccine and marketed the shot as annual even before the first dose was administered. Even pfizer is the first one to speak of booster shot and lobbied hard for it. So hard that even White House went against expert recommendations. I would be happy when top brass, decision makers, and experts who helped in such a scam are punished and shareholders like @duckzilla who support them.
Fine line to something great is a strange change.
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

Due to the positive results, which sent Merck's shares up more than 9% in early New York trading, the Phase 3 trial is being stopped early at the recommendation of outside monitors.
Phase 3 already. That's great, it might put an end to the pandemic so I won't have to wear the mask anymore
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Post by fightinfrenchman »

princeofcarthage wrote:
Happy? Are you fucking kidding me? This should have been 12 months ago instead of vaccines. Millions would have been saved. At least moderna made a potent vaccine unlike pfizer which intentionally reduces potency after just 6 months, whose ceo is just interested in counting profits from vaccine and marketed the shot as annual even before the first dose was administered. Even pfizer is the first one to speak of booster shot and lobbied hard for it. So hard that even White House went against expert recommendations. I would be happy when top brass, decision makers, and experts who helped in such a scam are punished and shareholders like @duckzilla who support them.
Sounds good
Dromedary Scone Mix is not Alone Mix
Retired Contributor

Well, that's unexpected, you agreeing with me.
United States of America Cometk
Retired Contributor

Post by Cometk »

Mr_Bramboy wrote:Yeah, the guy's on a Russian payroll. Seems like Goodspeed is too. Hope none of you get novichok'd in the future when the regime doesn't require your services anymore.
princeofcarthage wrote:
n0el wrote:
Show hidden quotes
ASk the community team?
I asked. Unfortunately they had no reply to their bigotry. It may have something to do with they being in your pocket or something.
callentournies wrote:sometimes I think abstractly the real events of the future becoming like cross sections through lumpy ellipsoids -- extant and emergent, in moments. How will things look? Five years from now... happy, married? Working where? Alive? Or will I be down bad, sad. Dead. Liminally thick these musings are uneasy. I worry. I go to ESOC to distract myself. I read a princeofcarthage post. Flash of lining in mind's eye! I'll probably not be reading princeofcarthage posts! Exuberant!
excellent string of posts; esoc meta-humor as entertainment, fully satisfying
Retired Contributor

I have more of the esoc meta-humor truth, specifically about the media team fraud, wanna read it?
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

princeofcarthage wrote:Well, that's unexpected, you agreeing with me.
Didn't read your post
Retired Contributor

It is so sad to see that teachers and professors who are suppose to shape students and their future and of country are somehow being so unscientific and challenging mask mandates in US. How come someone who needs an education themselves are allowed to teach?
No Flag howlingwolfpaw
Jaeger

Post by howlingwolfpaw »

n0el wrote:
howlingwolfpaw wrote:
Show hidden quotes

Yes it is edited, some people won't watch 2 minutes of something before dismissing things without learning what they were presenting, so they have to do that for short attention spans.
Troll like i said.

I apologize. I should not jest about such things. Peace be with you.
No Flag lejend
Jaeger

Post by lejend »

Cometk wrote:
Mr_Bramboy wrote:Yeah, the guy's on a Russian payroll. Seems like Goodspeed is too. Hope none of you get novichok'd in the future when the regime doesn't require your services anymore.
princeofcarthage wrote:
Show hidden quotes
I asked. Unfortunately they had no reply to their bigotry. It may have something to do with they being in your pocket or something.
callentournies wrote:sometimes I think abstractly the real events of the future becoming like cross sections through lumpy ellipsoids -- extant and emergent, in moments. How will things look? Five years from now... happy, married? Working where? Alive? Or will I be down bad, sad. Dead. Liminally thick these musings are uneasy. I worry. I go to ESOC to distract myself. I read a princeofcarthage post. Flash of lining in mind's eye! I'll probably not be reading princeofcarthage posts! Exuberant!
excellent string of posts; esoc meta-humor as entertainment, fully satisfying
“But I don’t want to go among mad people,” said the new ESOC member.

“Oh you can’t help that,” said the Ear. “We’re all mad here. I’m mad. You’re mad.”

“How do you know I’m mad?” asked the new member.

“You must be,” said the Ear, “or you wouldn’t have come here.”
Argentina Jotunir
Howdah

Post by Jotunir »

princeofcarthage wrote:
Happy? Are you fucking kidding me? This should have been 12 months ago instead of vaccines. Millions would have been saved.
For once, we agree on something.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Jotunir wrote:
princeofcarthage wrote:
Happy? Are you fucking kidding me? This should have been 12 months ago instead of vaccines. Millions would have been saved.
For once, we agree on something.
I've been vaccinated for like 6 months
Retired Contributor

The amazing thing about cure is that you don't need to administer 16 billion doses and can be done at fraction of a cost of vaccine even if the initial development is slightly expensive. It also costs less to make pills/tablets/syrups considerably less than vaccine. They can also be stored normally. Ball park figure would be 1/10th the cost of vaccine but probably further lower.
Vietnam duckzilla
Jaeger

Post by duckzilla »

They funny thing is that people like prince and jotunir seem to believe that a vaccine is somehow worse to have than a pill that might alleviate some of the symptoms. It is not just that it is, obviously, much better to be protected from infection in the first place (and then even from bad symptoms if you were unlucky) than to contract the illness, potentially spread it to your loved one, and hope to reduce symptoms with a pill. It is also that the vaccine makes use of your own body functions to maximize the antiviral response, something that a pill cannot do. In the end, a pill will always be more risky due to its contents and side effects than a vaccination.
Whatever is written above: this is no financial advice.

Beati pauperes spiritu.
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

It cuts complications and deaths by 50%, but it's no silver bullet
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/10/01/business/merck-covid-pill-molnupiravir.html wrote:Merck said the drug cut the risk of hospitalization or death in half. In the Phase 3 trial, 7% of volunteers in the group that received the drug were hospitalized, and none died. In the group that got a placebo, 14% were hospitalized or died.
The 50% efficacy is lower than monoclonal antibodies, the intravenous cocktail used to treat high-risk people with mild or moderate COVID. Studies have shown that those antibodies reduce hospitalizations and deaths by up to 85% among those patients.
So it's an additional tool in the medical kit to cut down on complications & deaths, but it's no panacea that will replace vaccines or other medicines.
I'm sure once the news about this pill trickle down to the masses, vaccination rate will drop, as holdouts will think nothing bad can happen anymore, worst case they have to take this pill.

Economically tho, having a pill that cures any serious Covid effects would be great, because vaccination campaigns cost a lot more. A pill would be given only to those who develop symptoms, whereas mass vaccination takes more time and logistic efforts to cover everyone (which doesn't even happen)

The vast majority of vaccines is basically wasted since those people won't even develop any serious symptoms. They were done "just in case", because nobody can currently predict who will have a bad case of covid, so it was the best precautionary way to immunise them.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

princeofcarthage wrote:The amazing thing about cure is that you don't need to administer 16 billion doses and can be done at fraction of a cost of vaccine even if the initial development is slightly expensive. It also costs less to make pills/tablets/syrups considerably less than vaccine. They can also be stored normally. Ball park figure would be 1/10th the cost of vaccine but probably further lower.
Are you familiar with the phrase "an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure"
Retired Contributor

Yeah I wasn't specifically replying regarding above drug. It's more of a treatment than cure.
Retired Contributor

fightinfrenchman wrote:
princeofcarthage wrote:The amazing thing about cure is that you don't need to administer 16 billion doses and can be done at fraction of a cost of vaccine even if the initial development is slightly expensive. It also costs less to make pills/tablets/syrups considerably less than vaccine. They can also be stored normally. Ball park figure would be 1/10th the cost of vaccine but probably further lower.
Are you familiar with the phrase "an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure"
Yes, but just because someone said it doesn't make it true. And definitely not in every case. In this case 1) we were already way past prevention, 2) The so called prevention has spiralling cost far greater than cure. So it's more like a ton of prevention is worse than a kg of cure in this case.
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

fightinfrenchman wrote:Are you familiar with the phrase "an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure"
Apparently this pill is very cheap, might be cheaper than vaccines and it doesn't need any mass campaigns
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

princeofcarthage wrote: In this case 1) we were already way past prevention,
The vaccine has been available for months
Retired Contributor

fightinfrenchman wrote:
So what. The first vaccines arrived after 2nd wave was over in many countries.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

princeofcarthage wrote:
fightinfrenchman wrote:
So what. The first vaccines arrived after 2nd wave was over in many countries.
People are still getting sick unnecessarily
Canada Jam
Jaeger
ESO: Hyperactive Jam

Post by Jam »

This new pill will be very helpful when the new variant comes out eventually for which the vaccine doesn't work very well.