COVID-19 / Coronavirus Outbreak

This is for discussions about news, politics, sports, other games, culture, philosophy etc.
United States of America occamslightsaber
Retired Contributor
ESO: L1BERTYPR1ME

Re: COVID-19 / Coronavirus Outbreak

Post by occamslightsaber »

Goodspeed wrote:Is the fact that Americans are commonly (relative to other places) prescribed opioids for pain, and that this is a major cause of the opioid epidemic, actually news to you? Or are you just being contrarian
Pretty sure he is just responding to your question to everyone. He even added a qualifier in the beginning.
harcha wrote:
gibson wrote:Anecdote, through 4 surgeries and numerous ER visits I've never been prescribed opiods, nor am I aware of anyone who has.
wasn't the whole opioid epidemic before your time?
It’s been going on since the 1990s to the present, largely due to Big Pharma BS. We do have a problem with overprescription of opioids, but they are hardly something that Americans “are raised to take” at the slightest discomfort as GS’s unserious post suggested.
The scientific term for China creating free units is Mitoe-sis.

I intend all my puns.
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

Goodspeed wrote:Is the fact that Americans are commonly (relative to other places) prescribed opioids for pain, and that this is a major cause of the opioid epidemic, actually news to you? Or are you just being contrarian
I am not aware that prescription abuse was an issue today.
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

harcha wrote:
gibson wrote:Anecdote, through 4 surgeries and numerous ER visits I've never been prescribed opiods, nor am I aware of anyone who has.
wasn't the whole opioid epidemic before your time?
It's still going on but yeah they are more careful about prescribing opioids nowadays than 20 years ago
Rainbow Land callentournies
Howdah
ESO: esuck

Post by callentournies »

I was prescribed opiates after surgery and didn’t take them healing so I could abuse them healthy. It was a thing kids did in high school. At least two got into legal trouble later for harder drug abuse. And all of my family members have been prescribed them because I’ve stolen them to abuse them ngl
If I were a petal
And plucked, or moth, plucked
From flowers or pollen froth
To wither on a young child’s
Display. Fetch
Me a ribbon, they, all dead
Things scream.
Rainbow Land callentournies
Howdah
ESO: esuck

Post by callentournies »

Different anecdotes I guess
If I were a petal
And plucked, or moth, plucked
From flowers or pollen froth
To wither on a young child’s
Display. Fetch
Me a ribbon, they, all dead
Things scream.
Argentina Jotunir
Howdah

Post by Jotunir »

occamslightsaber wrote:It’s amazing how many America experts are here today. Is it really that hard to check the CVS website and see that painkillers are also sold in 24 counts and 50 counts in the US as well? It would blow your mind to learn that some workplaces have vending machines that sell them in individual packets. Too many ESOC takes about America border on those of Orientalism.
I was talking about my own experience with pain when I suggested meditation, It wasn't about Orientalism at all. Even christians meditate...
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

No Flag lejend
Jaeger

Post by lejend »

Cometk wrote:
Dolan wrote:Image

Merck & Co CEO pay:

Merck & Co CEO estate and house in Wrightstown PA:

no comment
@lejend Thoughtsh?
I don't know enough about the issue to have any thoughts about it. One thing I know: that Guardian article seems intended to incite, not inform.
United States of America Cometk
Retired Contributor

Post by Cometk »

@lejend thoughtsh on inshulin pricesh?
United States of America XeeleeFlower
Retired Contributor
Xeelee Patron

Post by XeeleeFlower »

Americans, compared to the Dutch anyway, do have a problem with just taking drugs at the slightest inconvenience of pain. Doctors prescribe harder drugs easily. Hell, I can't even get nitrous when I go in for dental work here in the Netherlands, while I could easily get it for just routine cleanings in the States. The US has a drug culture. It is expected to take drugs. It's no big deal to do it. When I tore ligaments in my ankle, I was given morphine in the hospital and was prescribed oxy and vicodin. I couldn't probably even get those drugs here unless I was taking them in the hospital. You can't even get pseudoephedrine here (which sucks so much). It's banned. If you have a severe cold or flu, you just have to tough it out and live with the congestion. The doctors will tell you to just rest and take a paracetamol, which does absolutely nothing for a bad cold or flu. I feel that this difference in drug culture is due to Americans being expected to just work through everything whereas if you're sick here, you just say your sick and there are no penalties. If you're sick in America, you lose your pay, you lose those precious vacation days, you can lose your job. Here, none of that applies. Thus, Americans need to medicate in order to power through.
Time is wise and our wounds seem to heal to the rhythm of aging,
But our past is a ghost fading out that at night it’s still haunting.

http://www.galactanet.com/oneoff/theegg_mod.html
Argentina Jotunir
Howdah

Post by Jotunir »

XeeleeFlower wrote:Americans, compared to the Dutch anyway, do have a problem with just taking drugs at the slightest inconvenience of pain. Doctors prescribe harder drugs easily. Hell, I can't even get nitrous when I go in for dental work here in the Netherlands, while I could easily get it for just routine cleanings in the States. The US has a drug culture. It is expected to take drugs. It's no big deal to do it. When I tore ligaments in my ankle, I was given morphine in the hospital and was prescribed oxy and vicodin. I couldn't probably even get those drugs here unless I was taking them in the hospital. You can't even get pseudoephedrine here (which sucks so much). It's banned. If you have a severe cold or flu, you just have to tough it out and live with the congestion. The doctors will tell you to just rest and take a paracetamol, which does absolutely nothing for a bad cold or flu. I feel that this difference in drug culture is due to Americans being expected to just work through everything whereas if you're sick here, you just say your sick and there are no penalties. If you're sick in America, you lose your pay, you lose those precious vacation days, you can lose your job. Here, none of that applies. Thus, Americans need to medicate in order to power through.
Morphine? Are they mad? We only give morphine to dying patients here in Argentina... :ohmy:
Vietnam duckzilla
Jaeger

Post by duckzilla »

The US is a weird country. On the one hand you have these hardcore anti-communist folks arguing against making people anonymous robots in giant state-controlled industries. On the other hand you have the same folks arguing in favor of making people anonymous robots in their own enterprises. It's not about the people. It's really only about for whom they should work.

From my individual outside perspective, the rural US and the average Republican seems to have a lot in common with average Russians. Low trust in political institutions, all media are fakenews, wild conspiracy theories on pretty much every subject, a weird mixture of "religiosity" and a complete lack of understanding of the simpler core messages of christianity (say, altruism), a low willingness to get vaccinated, etc.
Whatever is written above: this is no financial advice.

Beati pauperes spiritu.
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

My colleague was given morphine for his kidney stone but to be fair it was a really bad one and for a few days every small movement had him in agony even with the morphine.
His whole experience made me pretty scared of kidney stones ngl
United States of America XeeleeFlower
Retired Contributor
Xeelee Patron

Post by XeeleeFlower »

The morphine barely touched the pain I had, but it did make me feel all warm. I kept hitting that button though. Do not recommend tearing ligaments. It was so bad that the swelling and bruising went all the way up to my knee.
Time is wise and our wounds seem to heal to the rhythm of aging,
But our past is a ghost fading out that at night it’s still haunting.

http://www.galactanet.com/oneoff/theegg_mod.html
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

When I tore my acl my doctor 'prescribed' me aspirin and a physiotherapist specialized in treating psychosomatic pain.

Great doctor, would recommend.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Post by fightinfrenchman »

RefluxSemantic wrote:When I tore my acl my doctor 'prescribed' me aspirin and a physiotherapist specialized in treating psychosomatic pain.

I can just buy aspirin at the store basically
Dromedary Scone Mix is not Alone Mix
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

fightinfrenchman wrote:
RefluxSemantic wrote:When I tore my acl my doctor 'prescribed' me aspirin and a physiotherapist specialized in treating psychosomatic pain.

I can just buy aspirin at the store basically
So can I. Which is why I used quotation marks.
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

duckzilla wrote:The US is a weird country. On the one hand you have these hardcore anti-communist folks arguing against making people anonymous robots in giant state-controlled industries. On the other hand you have the same folks arguing in favor of making people anonymous robots in their own enterprises. It's not about the people. It's really only about for whom they should work.
It's easier to understand the USA if you think about them not as a unitary country, but as a collection of colonies, that were initially more like separate countries. For them, when the central federal government was created, it was a really big deal, the biggest, as suddenly there was this authority over them that they resented. That explains the part about some Americans' absolute aversion to anything that implies the federal government getting extra powers or setting up some new institution.

The second part is kinda connected to the first point. For colonists, the sense of property ownership must have been much stronger than for people living in non-colonial states. After all, there was nobody else that would take care of them and make sure they can make a living through a system (like it was even during medieval Europe with serfdom). Hence, this obsession with one's own property and this "take it or leave it" attitude that employers have. And since they reject the influence of the state in how they do business, any concerns about their employees must be pretty low on the priority scale. The only thing that seems to change their minds is lawsuits, one of the most popular American sports, after baseball.
From my individual outside perspective, the rural US and the average Republican seems to have a lot in common with average Russians. Low trust in political institutions, all media are fakenews, wild conspiracy theories on pretty much every subject, a weird mixture of "religiosity" and a complete lack of understanding of the simpler core messages of christianity (say, altruism), a low willingness to get vaccinated, etc.
Political orientations are reversed in Europe compared to the USA. The contrast is even bigger between Eastern Europe and USA. The left is conservative, supports a big state, and rejects Western progressive values in Eastern Europe and Russia, while the right is reformist, it supports modernisation and going against traditional values. So basically, the Russian center-right is not conservative, or much less than the left. This might be because Eastern Europe was left behind in terms of industrialisation, so the right feels it's its duty to push for more economic reforms, against an attitude of stagnation supported by traditionalism. The Eastern European right doesn't feel like their countries have reached that stage of development in which big capital owners would want to conserve the status quo. There's just not much to be conservative about.
Latvia harcha
Gendarme
ESO: hatamoto_samurai

Post by harcha »

my country is officially the biggest retards in the europe. well at least i can feel smart among these morons...
POC wrote:Also I most likely know a whole lot more than you.
POC wrote:Also as an objective third party, and near 100% accuracy of giving correct information, I would say my opinions are more reliable than yours.
Argentina Jotunir
Howdah

Post by Jotunir »

XeeleeFlower wrote:The morphine barely touched the pain I had, but it did make me feel all warm. I kept hitting that button though. Do not recommend tearing ligaments. It was so bad that the swelling and bruising went all the way up to my knee.
It happened to me as well, so I know it's an intense pain, I managed to control it with ibuprofen and meditation but barely. Still, I am sorry it happened to you.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Post by fightinfrenchman »

Goodspeed wrote:My colleague was given morphine for his kidney stone but to be fair it was a really bad one and for a few days every small movement had him in agony even with the morphine.
His whole experience made me pretty scared of kidney stones ngl
They should make a kidney stone vaccine
Dromedary Scone Mix is not Alone Mix
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

harcha wrote:my country is officially the biggest retards in the europe. well at least i can feel smart among these morons...
wdym, i thought we and bulgarians held the monopoly on being the biggest retards in europe

Latvia harcha
Gendarme
ESO: hatamoto_samurai

Post by harcha »

you got 10 times the population but only 7 times the case numbers.
POC wrote:Also I most likely know a whole lot more than you.
POC wrote:Also as an objective third party, and near 100% accuracy of giving correct information, I would say my opinions are more reliable than yours.
Vietnam duckzilla
Jaeger

Post by duckzilla »

Wow, Latvia even beats the UK. Impressive.
Whatever is written above: this is no financial advice.

Beati pauperes spiritu.
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

Was writing this in January and been saying it for a while:
Dolan wrote:I think it's doable. Sure it will have some costs and people will have to get used to a world in which tourism is a rare luxury rather than the norm, but stricter border controls are definitely doable.

Business people do not need to travel to another country to have a meeting, when they can just do it online now.
Trading and commodity exchanges can be done by hauliers with some protective gear so viruses don't get spread in ports.
Tourism should mostly disappear, imo. It already has a destructive effect on cities. Lots of people in these cities are already exasperated with the negative effects of tourism on the place they live in. It's time for them to move on and find other ways to get some extra money.

And tbh it's not even a question of whether this will happen, because reality forced this to actually happen in 2020. We've already had this, borders were completely closed for a while, because of the pandemic that started in China.
The world would have handled this so much better if they simply closed borders with China as soon as possible and declared complete lockdown until that initial small spread cleared out.
The reason why we didn't do this was because of neolibrul mentality that we shouldn't do anything that hurts even 1% of the GDP. And we ended up hurting more like 20% and the situation is not even over yet.
Also wrote in another topic that people should travel less by airplane and more by land/water.
Now this kind of ideas have become part of policy recommendations made by the UK government: https://www.bbc.com/news/business-58981505

Too bad they pulled this document out, probably because politicians thought it was too radical and would threaten business interests. Np, they'll get there, in time.