COVID-19 / Coronavirus Outbreak

This is for discussions about news, politics, sports, other games, culture, philosophy etc.
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Re: COVID-19 / Coronavirus Outbreak

Post by RefluxSemantic »

duckzilla wrote:
RefluxSemantic wrote:In terms of deaths these have affected Europe more than other regions because Europe has historically been more advanced and urbanized than other regions. The plague wasn't really a pandemic in te sense of a new virus emerging, but more a matter of being an urbanized society.
No, not really. For most of the last 1500 years, Europe could not be counted among the most advanced and even less among the most urbanized regions. Sure, there was Constantinople which was big for quite a long time or Cordoba, but otherwise urbanization severely lacked behind China, parts of India or even Mexico.

I think for this topic, one should not forget that one huge european advantages has been a relative stability for a good millenium. Yes, there were frequent wars, but there were few fundamental societal changes from one day to the other. Pretty much all modern countries are somewhat recognizable in 1000AD. This is not the case for any other world region, I think. Look at China! One might be tempted to think that "China" has been around for thousands of years with its lots of dynasties. But these dynasties did not represent the same countries. There were drastic societal revolutions between the dynastic changes which often ended up killing vast quantities of people. Just look at the last 100 years. What is left of the, say, 1918 China? Not even the CCP existed at that point.

The many highly urbanized and advanced societies in other parts of the world simply did not survive as good as in Europe, e.g. Siege of Baghdad or Merv or Vijayanagara and the like.
I can't really find a justification for the claim about Mexico being urbanized that much. Could you share some more on that?
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

duckzilla wrote:
princeofcarthage wrote:@duckzilla the first plague occured in Eastern Roman Empire and likely spread from their to other parts of the world. Of course the 2nd and 3rd started in Mongolia, or China but originally they came from Europe. In fact the first one occured in Greece 1000 years before.

Of course India bas many illnesses, no one said otherwise but that doesn't mean they were pandemics. We are talking about pandemics.
No, this is wrong. Just have a a look at the wikipedia article, I linked. Your confusion might arise from the fact that the word "plague" has historically been used to describe different kinds of grave illnesses. But the actual plage is refering to the bubonic plague which is from China. Also to add further: the first recorded plague. I can only recommend to have a look at the book that I linked. It's good.

The very reason for them not becoming pandemics might have been to do with the caste system. However, there is, of course, still pandemics that arose in India, such as cholera.
For the record, the justinian plague and black death were both caused by the same disease. It's pretty much unknown where the bubonic plague actually comes from as far as I can tell.
Kiribati princeofcarthage
Retired Contributor

Post by princeofcarthage »

duckzilla wrote:
princeofcarthage wrote:@duckzilla the first plague occured in Eastern Roman Empire and likely spread from their to other parts of the world. Of course the 2nd and 3rd started in Mongolia, or China but originally they came from Europe. In fact the first one occured in Greece 1000 years before.

Of course India bas many illnesses, no one said otherwise but that doesn't mean they were pandemics. We are talking about pandemics.
No, this is wrong. Just have a a look at the wikipedia article, I linked. Your confusion might arise from the fact that the word "plague" has historically been used to describe different kinds of grave illnesses. But the actual plage is refering to the bubonic plague which is from China. Also to add further: the first recorded plague. I can only recommend to have a look at the book that I linked. It's good.

The very reason for them not becoming pandemics might have been to do with the caste system. However, there is, of course, still pandemics that arose in India, such as cholera.
Yes but that is not the point I am making. I agree that diseases come from all part of world. I agree that pandemics have started all over the world. I am saying that majority seem to have happened/originated from Europe and that the deadliest ones have happened/originated from Europe. For ex. The wikipedia link clearly states that the countless natives and civilisations which perished in Americas as a result of diseases brought by Europeans are not taken into account/list.
Fine line to something great is a strange change.
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

princeofcarthage wrote:
duckzilla wrote:

Yes but that is not the point I am making. I agree that diseases come from all part of world. I agree that pandemics have started all over the world. I am saying that majority seem to have happened/originated from Europe and that the deadliest ones have happened/originated from Europe. For ex. The wikipedia link clearly states that the countless natives and civilisations which perished in Americas as a result of diseases brought by Europeans are not taken into account/list.
But that's not true? The different plagues didn't necessarily originate from Europe, it's unclear where the bubonic plague actually originates from. Covid, HIV and the Spanish flu originate from Asia, Africa and North America.
Latvia harcha
Gendarme
ESO: hatamoto_samurai

Post by harcha »

If we just stop recording covid numbers in europe, then europe will be the first to beat the virus.
POC wrote:Also I most likely know a whole lot more than you.
POC wrote:Also as an objective third party, and near 100% accuracy of giving correct information, I would say my opinions are more reliable than yours.
Retired Contributor

RefluxSemantic wrote:
princeofcarthage wrote:
Show hidden quotes
But that's not true? The different plagues didn't necessarily originate from Europe, it's unclear where the bubonic plague actually originates from. Covid, HIV and the Spanish flu originate from Asia, Africa and North America.
But the bubonic plague aren't the only pandemics. And if say some disease migrated from Europe but became pandemic in americas as has been the case, shouldn't that be counted as originating from Europe?
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

princeofcarthage wrote:
RefluxSemantic wrote:
Show hidden quotes
But the bubonic plague aren't the only pandemics. And if say some disease migrated from Europe but became pandemic in americas as has been the case, shouldn't that be counted as originating from Europe?
No, because that'd be an epidemic rather than a pandemic.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Post by fightinfrenchman »

RefluxSemantic wrote:
princeofcarthage wrote:
Show hidden quotes
I hear it's actually a plandemic
Dromedary Scone Mix is not Alone Mix
United States of America evilcheadar
Gendarme

Post by evilcheadar »

They’re callling it the virus
A post not made is a post given away

A slushie a day keeps the refill thread at bay

Jackson Pollock was the best poster to ever to post on these forums
Retired Contributor

RefluxSemantic wrote:
princeofcarthage wrote:
Show hidden quotes
The wikipedia list you literally saw has the title (top 10 epidemics/pandemics). Conceptually they are same just depending on affected region it is either named epidemic or pandemic. Don't dwell too much on semantics.
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

Its entirely semantics if you want to make the silly point that you're making.
Retired Contributor

Nah, the point is Europe is birth place of many civilization killing diseases which can be backed up by facts.
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

princeofcarthage wrote:facts.
Which facts
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

princeofcarthage wrote:Nah, the point is Europe is birth place of many civilization killing diseases which can be backed up by facts.
I can genuinely not find a source that actually mentions Europe being the birth place of any big disease.

I did find out that India is to blame for Leprosy and smallpox though.
Retired Contributor

RefluxSemantic wrote:
princeofcarthage wrote:Nah, the point is Europe is birth place of many civilization killing diseases which can be backed up by facts.
I can genuinely not find a source that actually mentions Europe being the birth place of any big disease.

I did find out that India is to blame for Leprosy and smallpox though.
"The origin of smallpox is unknown;[14] however, the earliest evidence of the disease dates to the 3rd century BCE in Egyptian mummies.[14] " It has been speculated that Egyptian traders brought smallpox to India during the 1st millennium BCE, where it remained as an endemic human disease for at least 2000 years.

This confirms the spread of the disease along the migration, colonisation, and slave trade routes taken from East Africa to India, West Africa to the New World, and from Africa into Europe and vice versa.[101]
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

So how about a disease that actually originates from Europe?
Retired Contributor

RefluxSemantic wrote:So how about a disease that actually originates from Europe?
What about the countless ones that destroyed entire civilizations in Americas? Europeans brought them to Americas.
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

princeofcarthage wrote:
RefluxSemantic wrote:So how about a disease that actually originates from Europe?
What about the countless ones that destroyed entire civilizations in Americas? Europeans brought them to Americas.
*The English did. And I think they don't identify as European, but something apart.
Retired Contributor

Dolan wrote:
princeofcarthage wrote:
*The English did. And I think they don't identify as European, but something apart.
Spanish, Portuguese? French?
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

Then point to specific nations rather than the whole Europe being to blame. I don't blame the whole of Asia for the corona, only China.
It's crazy how China got away with creating such a crisis without getting internationally ostracised.
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

princeofcarthage wrote:
Which one of those diseases actually originated from Europe?
Retired Contributor

RefluxSemantic wrote:
princeofcarthage wrote:
Which one of those diseases actually originated from Europe?
Pretty much all of them
Retired Contributor

Dolan wrote:Then point to specific nations rather than the whole Europe being to blame. I don't blame the whole of Asia for the corona, only China.
It's crazy how China got away with creating such a crisis without getting internationally ostracized.
Because there is no definitive proof. Research has indicated Sars 2 existed in Europe and US probably since March 2019. Remember the first case identified was in Wuhan doesn't mean it was the first case. Also its not like China intentionally caused the pandemic. There is no point in blaming a certain nation for natural disasters.
Netherlands Mr_Bramboy
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: [VOC] Bram

Post by Mr_Bramboy »

harcha wrote:If we just stop recording covid numbers in europe, then europe will be the first to beat the virus.
This but unironically. If we stop paying those actors, the hospitals would be empty in no time.
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

princeofcarthage wrote:
Dolan wrote:Then point to specific nations rather than the whole Europe being to blame. I don't blame the whole of Asia for the corona, only China.
It's crazy how China got away with creating such a crisis without getting internationally ostracized.
Because there is no definitive proof. Research has indicated Sars 2 existed in Europe and US probably since March 2019. Remember the first case identified was in Wuhan doesn't mean it was the first case. Also its not like China intentionally caused the pandemic. There is no point in blaming a certain nation for natural disasters.
Which research indicated Sars 2 existed in Europe before 2020