COVID-19 / Coronavirus Outbreak

This is for discussions about news, politics, sports, other games, culture, philosophy etc.
Kiribati princeofcarthage
Retired Contributor

Re: COVID-19 / Coronavirus Outbreak

Post by princeofcarthage »

Dolan wrote:
princeofcarthage wrote:
Dolan wrote:Then point to specific nations rather than the whole Europe being to blame. I don't blame the whole of Asia for the corona, only China.
It's crazy how China got away with creating such a crisis without getting internationally ostracized.
Because there is no definitive proof. Research has indicated Sars 2 existed in Europe and US probably since March 2019. Remember the first case identified was in Wuhan doesn't mean it was the first case. Also its not like China intentionally caused the pandemic. There is no point in blaming a certain nation for natural disasters.
Which research indicated Sars 2 existed in Europe before 2020
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-heal ... SKBN23X2HQ

It is likely that when first case was reported in Wuhan the virus was already pretty much all over the world and the actual cases were in thousands if not millions. Normally the growth is exponential in such diseases but as with any exponential graph the initial growth rate is extremely low. It is completely possible that original case identified was in fact a variant and the original spillover might have occurred way earlier even possibly years before.
Fine line to something great is a strange change.
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

Were those results replicated by anyone else? You're making big generalisations based on a single study whose authors say
When it’s just one result, you always want more data, more studies, more samples to confirm it and rule out a laboratory error or a methodological problem
Prof. Gertjan Medema of the KWR Water Research Institute in the Netherlands, whose team began using a coronavirus test on waste water in February, suggested the Barcelona group needs to repeat the tests to confirm it is really the SARS-CoV-2 virus.
Retired Contributor

Well many US states, also reported occurrence before first confirmed case of virus on Jan 20 in US. Italy also conducted a study and found possible existence earlier. Same was found in Brazil. Also how do you have a laboratory error or methodological problem when simply identifying virus. Either the sample is too dilute to reach conclusion or the virus is there. Either the virus is there or not. It is not something labs invent from thin air.
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

princeofcarthage wrote:
RefluxSemantic wrote:
Show hidden quotes
Which one of those diseases actually originated from Europe?
Pretty much all of them
Which one? Also please provide a source. You had sources right?
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Post by fightinfrenchman »

RefluxSemantic wrote:
princeofcarthage wrote:
Show hidden quotes
Pretty much all of them
Literally who cares about this
Dromedary Scone Mix is not Alone Mix
Retired Contributor

fightinfrenchman wrote:
RefluxSemantic wrote:
Show hidden quotes
He cares, he cannot digest the fact that Europe has been the birthing ground of diseases.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

princeofcarthage wrote:
fightinfrenchman wrote:
Show hidden quotes
He cares, he cannot digest the fact that Europe has been the birthing ground of diseases.
Just focus on literally anything else
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

princeofcarthage wrote:
fightinfrenchman wrote:
Show hidden quotes
Provide a source or shut up
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

princeofcarthage wrote:
fightinfrenchman wrote:
Show hidden quotes
Actually there are lots of arguments that point to Asia and Africa being the most likely breeding ground for new viruses.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/5-rea ... 2020-03-09

And it makes sense because both continents have the largest populations and the most rapid population growth (some might say explosive). Coupled with extremely poor living standards and hygene conditions, lots of people who are dependent on using risky sources of water, lack of sewerage, no access to medical services, very low incomes, high proportion of population living on subsistence levels which involves using risky sources of food (such as those found in the Wuhan market), etc, and you get the perfect breeding ground for new viruses that can start a pandemic.
Vietnam duckzilla
Jaeger

Post by duckzilla »

RefluxSemantic wrote:I can't really find a justification for the claim about Mexico being urbanized that much. Could you share some more on that?
There's this article and more about urbanization in the central mexican highlands. But, to be fair, I have difficulties to assess how this compares to urbanization in other world regions. Tenochtitlan itself with its 200k+ inhabitants at least gives a hint that the valle de Mexico was quite densely populated in general.
Whatever is written above: this is no financial advice.

Beati pauperes spiritu.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Both my parents have been boosted
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

My booster shot is planned for sunday. Sucks that the next monday I will probably get infected at work.
Retired Contributor

Only 3 shots? Well boosters for above 60 were just announced but this guy has taken 12 shots apparently.
Latvia harcha
Gendarme
ESO: hatamoto_samurai

Post by harcha »

Covaxin cures arthritis and joint pain. Based.
POC wrote:Also I most likely know a whole lot more than you.
POC wrote:Also as an objective third party, and near 100% accuracy of giving correct information, I would say my opinions are more reliable than yours.
Retired Contributor

Well it's not outside the realm of possibility. Medicines are known to sometimes have unexpected effects. Maybe some component of the vaccine when taken in large quantities or on repeat basis helps improve arthritis? Unlikely but not impossible.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

The person who tweeted this works for Ron DeSantis as his press secretary, and is tweeting this out in sincere agreement rather than pointing out how laughably stupid it is

Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

I mean destantis has proven time and time again to be an idiot. My favorite is when “small government” conservatives cheer as he makes rules about how business can’t have vaccine mandates. It just goes to show the hypocrisy that they aren’t really small government or against government intervention in small business, they only are when it’s about stuff they don’t like.
Retired Contributor

Orange County Deputy DA Kelly Ernby, Who Fought Vaccine Mandates, Dies Of Covid-19

https://flip.it/vyV3ZQ
United States of America Cometk
Retired Contributor

Post by Cometk »

:blush:
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Pezet

Post by pecelot »

so realistically, how likely is it that we'll all get Omicron sooner than we'll all get fully vaccinated?
Latvia harcha
Gendarme
ESO: hatamoto_samurai

Post by harcha »

wdym by fully vaccinated? even if you get 4 shots it won't stop omicron
POC wrote:Also I most likely know a whole lot more than you.
POC wrote:Also as an objective third party, and near 100% accuracy of giving correct information, I would say my opinions are more reliable than yours.
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

I really wonder how things are going to go down. I'd assume that we're basically all going to get it now. Most of us have great protection against it though. Then what happens? I would assume those naturally vulnerable and unvaccinated basically die or get such a heavy case that they are immune and at that point we've run out of people that could potentially end up in the hospital, havent we?

Then what do we do? If the vaccine doesnt really protect against transmission (well it does, but not to the extend that we can stop the spread at all), is it actually worth it to keep boostering young people? What would the exit strategy look like?

In general I badly want my government to present an actual plan for the future and I dont think a good plan would involve continuous lockdowns.
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

Kind of has me wondering if it's even worth it to go get a booster right now, might be better to just quarantine for a month and wait out the wave
Since there's so many people at the vaxx place it seems pretty likely you'll get infected there
Netherlands edeholland
ESOC Community Team
Donator 01
ESO: edeholland
GameRanger ID: 4053888
Clan: ESOC

Post by edeholland »

If you can voluntarily quarantine for a month without becoming depressed as hell, might be worth.

I'm happy I got the booster and can go to friends/work without worrying too much.
Netherlands Mr_Bramboy
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: [VOC] Bram

Post by Mr_Bramboy »

Why don’t we just develop a super infectious and non-lethal strain and spread it around the world to end the pandemic? Rutte wake up