COVID-19 / Coronavirus Outbreak

This is for discussions about news, politics, sports, other games, culture, philosophy etc.
Vietnam duckzilla
Jaeger

Re: COVID-19 / Coronavirus Outbreak

Post by duckzilla »

RefluxSemantic wrote:This is the weirdest time in my life. It's not even that I'm suffering much, but it's just so strange.

It's like this realization that we're experiencing a truly historic event that makes it feel strange. It's like war but instead of dying or killing people I'm fighting it by playing video games.
Remembers me on 9/11. That was just a regular Tuesday and we had project week at school. Came back home, was a bit tired and fell asleep in front of my tv. Then, around ~3pm, I woke up to burning twin towers and thought like... Okay... not cool, but what's the big deal?

Some days later, the USA bombed some desert mountains in Asia.
Whatever is written above: this is no financial advice.

Beati pauperes spiritu.
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

how fucked is it we can't even achieve political unity in a time like this
United States of America evilcheadar
Gendarme

Post by evilcheadar »

Didn’t buy the cheese tonight
A post not made is a post given away

A slushie a day keeps the refill thread at bay

Jackson Pollock was the best poster to ever to post on these forums
Kiribati princeofcarthage
Retired Contributor

Post by princeofcarthage »

At this point I believe India has so less cases due to just lack of testing.
Fine line to something great is a strange change.
Vietnam duckzilla
Jaeger

Post by duckzilla »

princeofcarthage wrote:At this point I believe India has so less cases due to just lack of testing.
I could imagine that this pandemic will be remembered as a catastrophe for Europe/North America while being unremarkable for some parts of the world due to lack of information.

Beati pauperes spiritu.
Kiribati princeofcarthage
Retired Contributor

Post by princeofcarthage »

duckzilla wrote:
princeofcarthage wrote:At this point I believe India has so less cases due to just lack of testing.
I could imagine that this pandemic will be remembered as a catastrophe for Europe/North America while being unremarkable for some parts of the world due to lack of information.
Its a catastrophe for whole world. The numbers might be under-reported, information maybe lacking but lockdown is happening everywhere. China was locked down for 2 months, we are already facing a 21 day lockdown which most likely will extend further. Don't downplay the situation or sacrifices of people in other countries for no fault of theirs except of the government.
Fine line to something great is a strange change.
Vietnam duckzilla
Jaeger

Post by duckzilla »

princeofcarthage wrote:
duckzilla wrote:
Its a catastrophe for whole world. The numbers might be under-reported, information maybe lacking but lockdown is happening everywhere. China was locked down for 2 months, we are already facing a 21 day lockdown which most likely will extend further. Don't downplay the situation or sacrifices of people in other countries for no fault of theirs except of the government.
That's true. Let me rephrase it. The toll on human life of this pandemic (counted in directly related deaths) might by remembered as a catastrophe more specifically for Europe/North America due to the availability of data.

Beati pauperes spiritu.
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player
GameRanger ID: 5529322

Post by Kaiserklein »

Americans literally showing up last second on Chinese airport aprons, buying back (for several times their price) shipments of millions of masks that were about to be sent to France. USA is just so fucking scummy, it's ridiculous. And all these rednecks will vote again for trump because he's gonna handle the corona crisis "well", while shitting all over other countries, lmao.
LoOk_tOm wrote:I have something in particular against Kaisar (GERMANY NOOB mercenary LAMME FOREVER) And the other people (noobs) like suck kaiser ... just this ..
Great Britain oats13
Lancer

Post by oats13 »

Kaiserklein wrote:Americans literally showing up last second on Chinese airport aprons, buying back (for several times their price) shipments of millions of masks that were about to be sent to France. USA is just so fucking scummy, it's ridiculous. And all these rednecks will vote again for trump because he's gonna handle the corona crisis "well", while shitting all over other countries, lmao.
It's happening everywhere to be fair- https://www.reuters.com/article/us-heal ... SKBN20T166
We hold these truths to be self-evident. All men and women created by the you know, you know the thing.
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player
GameRanger ID: 5529322

Post by Kaiserklein »

oats13 wrote:
Kaiserklein wrote:Americans literally showing up last second on Chinese airport aprons, buying back (for several times their price) shipments of millions of masks that were about to be sent to France. USA is just so fucking scummy, it's ridiculous. And all these rednecks will vote again for trump because he's gonna handle the corona crisis "well", while shitting all over other countries, lmao.
It's happening everywhere to be fair- https://www.reuters.com/article/us-heal ... SKBN20T166
This is totally different lol, at least in the case of France (idk about Germany). Here, selling masks is forbidden, because we don't even have enough of them for our health workers and policemen. Doctors are literally given 10 masks, sometimes not even FFP2 ones, for more than a week. And the average person simply cannot buy a mask.
Why would we export masks if we don't even have enough to give some to our people?? It makes absolutely no sense and I have no idea why EU even wanted that.

I'm not sure what that has to do with some dudes showing up in an airport to basically steal our supplies of masks. Like what the fuck?
LoOk_tOm wrote:I have something in particular against Kaisar (GERMANY NOOB mercenary LAMME FOREVER) And the other people (noobs) like suck kaiser ... just this ..
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

Theres some good news though. Dutch researchers found sterilization methods that allow you to reuse the same mask up to five times.
Great Britain oats13
Lancer

Post by oats13 »

Kaiserklein wrote:
oats13 wrote:
This is totally different lol, at least in the case of France (idk about Germany). Here, selling masks is forbidden, because we don't even have enough of them for our health workers and policemen. Doctors are literally given 10 masks, sometimes not even FFP2 ones, for more than a week. And the average person simply cannot buy a mask.
Why would we export masks if we don't even have enough to give some to our people?? It makes absolutely no sense and I have no idea why EU even wanted that.

I'm not sure what that has to do with some dudes showing up in an airport to basically steal our supplies of masks. Like what the fuck?
Just showing that it isn't just America reacting in that way - https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... export-ban

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... itain.html
We hold these truths to be self-evident. All men and women created by the you know, you know the thing.
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

Whats confusing to me is the conflicting messaging on when this is over. Ive been reading about events cancelled that were supposed to happen as late as september, and then I read that organisers of events in july say that they assume it will be fine by then.

The way I see it this will be a thing for at least half a year and probably longer. I wish people like the WHO or the Dutch version of the CDC would come out and just tell us what they expect. But they probably arent doing that because they dont want people to panick.
Great Britain oats13
Lancer

Post by oats13 »

RefluxSemantic wrote:Whats confusing to me is the conflicting messaging on when this is over. Ive been reading about events cancelled that were supposed to happen as late as september, and then I read that organisers of events in july say that they assume it will be fine by then.

The way I see it this will be a thing for at least half a year and probably longer. I wish people like the WHO or the Dutch version of the CDC would come out and just tell us what they expect. But they probably arent doing that because they dont want people to panick.
WHO is conflicted over this-

https://www.cfr.org/blog/who-and-china-dereliction-duty
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

Did you link the wrong article?
United States of America XeeleeFlower
Retired Contributor
Xeelee Patron

Post by XeeleeFlower »

Time is wise and our wounds seem to heal to the rhythm of aging,
But our past is a ghost fading out that at night it’s still haunting.

http://www.galactanet.com/oneoff/theegg_mod.html
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

I read about that mid february and looked into freezing in my semen. Turns out you need specialized equipment for that and it costs roughly 8000€ so I figured kids are not that important to me.
Netherlands Mr_Bramboy
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: [VOC] Bram

Post by Mr_Bramboy »

RefluxSemantic wrote:Whats confusing to me is the conflicting messaging on when this is over. Ive been reading about events cancelled that were supposed to happen as late as september, and then I read that organisers of events in july say that they assume it will be fine by then.
This has a legal reason. Paaspop 2020 was supposed to happen from 10 to 12 April 2020. The Dutch measures included an event ban until the 6th of April. This was only recently extended to the end of April. This meant that before the extension, Paaspop did not have a legal reason to cancel the festival. If they had canceled the festival before the extension, they would've likely gotten trouble with the insurance company and other contractors who would still like to get paid. Now that there has been an extension, Paaspop can safely and legally cancel their festival.
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

Mr_Bramboy wrote:
This has a legal reason. Paaspop 2020 was supposed to happen from 10 to 12 April 2020. The Dutch measures included an event ban until the 6th of April. This was only recently extended to the end of April. This meant that before the extension, Paaspop did not have a legal reason to cancel the festival. If they had canceled the festival before the extension, they would've likely gotten trouble with the insurance company and other contractors who would still like to get paid. Now that there has been an extension, Paaspop can safely and legally cancel their festival.
Well, a 50plus event in the jaarbeurs in Utrecht planned for september was cancelled. They cancelled the climate meeting later this year. But then the mayor of Nijmegen said he thinks the Nijmeegse vierdaagse (a big event planned for the end of june) will go on and the uefa thinks we can finish the football competitions in the summer. These are conflicting messages, none of which seem to be based on legal grounds.
Great Britain oats13
Lancer

Post by oats13 »

RefluxSemantic wrote:Did you link the wrong article?
No, WHO is conflicted because it is allegedly very China influenced particularly its leader who was accused of covering up three different cholera epidemics when health minister of Ethiopia, a country that receives a lot of Chinese aid.
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

I dont see the connection to my post at all, sorry.
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

Great Britain oats13
Lancer

Post by oats13 »

You said

"I wish people like the WHO or the Dutch version of the CDC would come out and just tell us what they expect. But they probably arent doing that because they dont want people to panick."

The article plus the context offer possible alternative reasons.
Netherlands Mr_Bramboy
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: [VOC] Bram

Post by Mr_Bramboy »

RefluxSemantic wrote:
Mr_Bramboy wrote:
Well, a 50plus event in the jaarbeurs in Utrecht planned for september was cancelled. They cancelled the climate meeting later this year. But then the mayor of Nijmegen said he thinks the Nijmeegse vierdaagse (a big event planned for the end of june) will go on and the uefa thinks we can finish the football competitions in the summer. These are conflicting messages, none of which seem to be based on legal grounds.
It is possible that the 50plus event had a different contract with their insurance company. People aged 50+ are more susceptible to the coronavirus so it's entirely possible that the organisation of the 50plus event added a pandemic/epidemic clause that the organisation of Paaspop might not have found necessary.

The climate meeting is one of the biggest UN events of the year and it takes months of preparation. Besides, the national governments and the UN can afford to cancel the event now. They are not the same as an organisation that is trying to make money.

I suppose the mayor of Nijmegen just wants to see the vierdaagse continue because it is a big event that puts Nijmegen in the spotlight. I doubt it will actually continue.