A question for the mathematicians on this site

This is for discussions about news, politics, sports, other games, culture, philosophy etc.
France iNcog
Ninja

Re: A question for the mathematicians on this site

Post by iNcog »

-- deleted post --

Reason: on request (off-topic bulk delete)
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/incog_aoe
Garja wrote:
20 Mar 2020, 21:46
I just hope DE is not going to implement all of the EP changes. Right now it is a big clusterfuck.
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

harcha wrote:
gibson wrote:Just because an event has 0 probability doesn't mean its impossible. For example if you spin a wheel that has every real number on it(so an infinite amount of numbers) there's 0 chance for it to land on any individual number, and yet it still lands on a number.
no, the chance would be 1/infinity which is more than 0
1/infinity isnt anything so no its not more than 0 anymore than 1/egg is greater than 0. Edit: also go back and look at the link jerom posted that I just noticed.
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

-- deleted post --

Garja wrote:
I just hope DE is not going to implement all of the EP changes. Right now it is a big clusterfuck.
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

iNcog wrote:
gibson wrote:
Show hidden quotes
1/infinity isnt anything so no its not more than 0 anymore than 1/egg is greater than 0.
infinity isn't real but eggs are though! gotta be careful. math is absolutely unforgiving. 1/egg could be real
But is 1/egg>0 :hmm: :hmm:
Canada Jam
Jaeger
ESO: Hyperactive Jam

Post by Jam »

You can't because the bar will close first before you reach infinity.
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

or you will die from alcohol poisoning
Latvia harcha
Gendarme
ESO: hatamoto_samurai

Post by harcha »

1/infinity is still greater than 0/infinity @gibson
POC wrote:Also I most likely know a whole lot more than you.
POC wrote:Also as an objective third party, and near 100% accuracy of giving correct information, I would say my opinions are more reliable than yours.
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player
GameRanger ID: 5529322

Post by Kaiserklein »

I didn't read much in this thread. But anyway, you can't divide by zero, but if you could, the result would be infinity. Just like you can't divide by "infinity" (so here, 1/whatever^n, where n is the infinite amount of times) but the result would be 0. So in terms of maths it doesn't work because you can't calculate with these numbers anyway. But it does tend towards 0 as n grows bigger obviously.

It's more about common sense. Is it possible to repeat the experiment an infinite amount of times? I guess that would mean you could also do it one more time than the infinity, which makes no sense, so no you can't. And anyway if you somehow "could", the probability would be 0 I guess.

However, there is a probability you win any amount of shots, no matter how large
LoOk_tOm wrote:I have something in particular against Kaisar (GERMANY NOOB mercenary LAMME FOREVER) And the other people (noobs) like suck kaiser ... just this ..
Latvia harcha
Gendarme

Post by harcha »

@Kaiserklein no, there is probabilty that you win any number times 4 shots
POC wrote:Also as an objective third party, and near 100% accuracy of giving correct information, I would say my opinions are more reliable than yours.
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player

Post by Kaiserklein »

gibson wrote:Just because an event has 0 probability doesn't mean its impossible. For example if you spin a wheel that has every real number on it(so an infinite amount of numbers) there's 0 chance for it to land on any individual number, and yet it still lands on a number.
But that wheel cannot exist because it can't contain an infinity of numbers. Again back to the point that infinity just isn't a number, it doesn't "exist" in maths, you can only tend towards it.
LoOk_tOm wrote:I have something in particular against Kaisar (GERMANY NOOB mercenary LAMME FOREVER) And the other people (noobs) like suck kaiser ... just this ..
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player

Post by Kaiserklein »

harcha wrote:@Kaiserklein no, there is probabilty that you win any number times 4 shots
I knew someone would nitpick about that but I couldn't bother as it's an irrelevant point
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player

Post by Kaiserklein »

RefluxSemantic wrote:Yes. In maths 1/infinite is 0.
That's not 0, but undefined. You're taking a shortcut, we're not allowed to divide by infinity in maths. Or to use infinity in any calculus for that matter. There's a reason why we bother writing "1/n tends towards 0 as n tends towards infinity" or whatever.
Italy gamevideo113
Howdah
ESO: gamevideo113

Post by gamevideo113 »

This thread got ugly real quick
[Some people aspire to be pr30+, some people aspire to have fun, and some people aspire to play 3v3 Deccan.] - vividlyplain - 2019 Who (nationality) rape ?
stupid logic. noob players can say op?
toxic, Insult, Racism ?
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Post by fightinfrenchman »

gamevideo113 wrote:This thread got ugly real quick
And people say my threads are bad
Dromedary Scone Mix is not Alone Mix
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

Kaiserklein wrote:
But that wheel cannot exist because it can't contain an infinity of numbers. Again back to the point that infinity just isn't a number, it doesn't "exist" in maths, you can only tend towards it.
Yea but the assumption in this thread is that infinity is actually something achievable( even though it's obviously not) otherwise there's no point to the entire thread.
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

harcha wrote:1/infinity is still greater than 0/infinity @gibson
that statement is absurd
No Flag Djigit
Howdah

Post by Djigit »

Kaiserklein wrote:
RefluxSemantic wrote:Yes. In maths 1/infinite is 0.
That's not 0, but undefined. You're taking a shortcut, we're not allowed to divide by infinity in maths. Or to use infinity in any calculus for that matter. There's a reason why we bother writing "1/n tends towards 0 as n tends towards infinity" or whatever.
Exactly!
edeholland wrote:If you calculate 1/16 * 1/16 * 1/16 * 1/16 ..... doesn't that equal 0? Doesn't that mean there is a chance of 0 to actually win an infinite amount of shots
As Princeofcarthage, harcha and Kaiser said, what we have here is a horizontal asymptote. The function tends towards 0 but never reaches 0 when x is infinitely large. However, the limit of the function does reach 0.
That's precisely what that guy in the quora link says as well.

In English this translates into: "it's near impossible to get an infinite number of successive shots."
Great Britain oats13
Lancer

Post by oats13 »

People get hung up on these things because they go down separate paths without realising that different answers can exist in parenthesis until another event happens.

Obviously every time you re-spin you have 1/16, at the time of the spin so in that 'practical path' you have a probability tending towards infinity, if you place your theoretical position before the events have happened then in the 'theoretical path' then- lim n->inf (1/16^n) = 0.

Both these approaches are true in parenthesis until the event occurs which ends the series i.e. you don't spin the desired outcome and the bubbles burst and you have a greasy puddle of real numbers left over.
We hold these truths to be self-evident. All men and women created by the you know, you know the thing.
United States of America evilcheadar
Gendarme

Post by evilcheadar »

1/infinity—>0
A post not made is a post given away

A slushie a day keeps the refill thread at bay

Jackson Pollock was the best poster to ever to post on these forums
Latvia harcha
Gendarme

Post by harcha »

gibson wrote:
that statement is absurd
it is completely logical
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

You start using infinity in calculations you're going to run into paradoxes. That's why it isn't a number and you can't treat it as such.
Kiribati princeofcarthage
Retired Contributor

Post by princeofcarthage »

Infinity is a concept, something larger than defined. Of course if you take literal meaning none of the above discussion makes sense, but if you take it practically as in can I get 4 shots + re-spin endless times till time itself ends? or can a dice every time roll 1? It would probably be more practical and logical
Fine line to something great is a strange change.
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

harcha wrote:
gibson wrote:
that statement is absurd
it is completely logical
Yes cause saying that a number divided by a non number is greater than another number divided by a non number is always completely logical. It makes absolutely 0 sense to say 0/infinity in the first place, just say 0 lol.
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

-- deleted post --

Garja wrote:
Canada Jam
Jaeger
ESO: Hyperactive Jam

Post by Jam »

0/infinity = nothing/more than everything

:uglylol: