Official Best Movies Thread

This is for discussions about news, politics, sports, other games, culture, philosophy etc.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Re: Official Best Movies Thread

Post by fightinfrenchman »

pecelot wrote:
fightinfrenchman wrote:I would hate to be a famous film critic. Sometimes when I make a post about a movie being bad I think about the people who made it and proud they probably were when it was finished and I feel like an asshole
well, there are movies that are objectively bad, done by people with bad vision and by people who just don't really care that much; my anxiety in turn would be to actually confront XXXX number of movies made since, say, 2010, out of which only like a 5% would probably be worthwhile
Idk movies are so collaborative that even soulless cash grabs that are awful probably still had a good number of people working on them that put in a lot of effort
Dromedary Scone Mix is not Alone Mix
No Flag Djigit
Howdah

Post by Djigit »

pecelot wrote:it's far from it, though: by “modern art museums” I assume you mean postmodernism, abstract expressionism and whatnot, which openly define the settled norm (if there even are any), and which hinge on revolution; Wes Anderson's films, however, still fit into the structure of common storytelling (tools like build-up, pay-off, comic relief) and filmmaking (characters being, you know, inside the frame); I see it more as an evolution — not necessarily staring in awe at a toilet in a museum for 5 hours to contemplate what it actually represent, but rather writing a history essay on how horses were treated during XVII-century wars :flowers:
You're right. For some reason, that movie reminded me of the early silent movies; so it was not fully novel.

@fightinfrenchman why would a makeup artist or a sound editor feel bad about poor reviews? It's the director, the actor, the producer or the screenwriter that are the ones who should feel bad.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Djigit wrote:
@fightinfrenchman why would a makeup artist or a sound editor feel bad about poor reviews? It's the director, the actor, the producer or the screenwriter that are the ones who should feel bad.
Well if you worked on the makeup on a film and you did a really good job but the movie sucked, you'll probably be less likely to show it to people
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Pezet

Post by pecelot »

Djigit wrote:
pecelot wrote:it's far from it, though: by “modern art museums” I assume you mean postmodernism, abstract expressionism and whatnot, which openly define the settled norm (if there even are any), and which hinge on revolution; Wes Anderson's films, however, still fit into the structure of common storytelling (tools like build-up, pay-off, comic relief) and filmmaking (characters being, you know, inside the frame); I see it more as an evolution — not necessarily staring in awe at a toilet in a museum for 5 hours to contemplate what it actually represent, but rather writing a history essay on how horses were treated during XVII-century wars :flowers:
You're right. For some reason, that movie reminded me of the early silent movies; so it was not fully novel.
At least some of such a characterisation must have been intended. The prison scenes were mostly black-and-white, for instance. It was hard for me to judge the screen resolution as I didn't have the best seat at the cinema, but with that “square” framing you could see where the director was going. General desire and directness of the characters may also remind you of the higher-than-real tempo of silent movies.
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03

Post by pecelot »

fightinfrenchman wrote:
pecelot wrote:
fightinfrenchman wrote:I would hate to be a famous film critic. Sometimes when I make a post about a movie being bad I think about the people who made it and proud they probably were when it was finished and I feel like an asshole
well, there are movies that are objectively bad, done by people with bad vision and by people who just don't really care that much; my anxiety in turn would be to actually confront XXXX number of movies made since, say, 2010, out of which only like a 5% would probably be worthwhile
Idk movies are so collaborative that even soulless cash grabs that are awful probably still had a good number of people working on them that put in a lot of effort
I guess that's what makes good films so good — everything clicks, every department is on point.
fightinfrenchman wrote:
Djigit wrote:
Well if you worked on the makeup on a film and you did a really good job but the movie sucked, you'll probably be less likely to show it to people
There are numerous films in which only certain parts are well made, blockbusters being the prime example. Dialogues might be off, plot might be far-fetched and not make too much sense, the entire movie can be way too long, but all your attention is caught by state-of-the-art special effects. Vide: “Pearl Harbour” (amazing “siege”, compare that with 2019 “Midway” to see how well it has aged), “Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom” (a frustratingly silly cash grab, but one still admires the technical side of it), etc. etc.
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03

Post by pecelot »

Just seen “Don't Look Up”. Mega. Balanced (comedy—drama, character development and their choices), a quite telling commentary of the society and with a valuable lesson, although not an entirely optimistic one. Adam McKay seems to just be so aware of today's world, I dig his POV.
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03

Post by pecelot »

I have one problem with the film, though
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

@princeofcarthage What do you think about the movies "83" and "RRR"
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Disclosure starring Michael Douglas @starbursts
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

pecelot wrote:Just seen “Don't Look Up”. Mega. Balanced (comedy—drama, character development and their choices), a quite telling commentary of the society and with a valuable lesson, although not an entirely optimistic one. Adam McKay seems to just be so aware of today's world, I dig his POV.
I couldn't watch beyond 22 minutes. The scenario is so trash and DeCaprio's acting so obvious, it felt like the movie was made in one day, with a couple of coffee breaks in between. To my surprise, J Lawrence was the only one that acted somewhat better. But the characters, the lines, the scenes are so rushed and cheap, that I couldn't justify wasting more time finishing it.
2/10 just for image quality.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Dolan wrote:I couldn't watch beyond 22 minutes. The scenario is so trash
May I suggest watching SpongeBob. Perhaps more your speed
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

fightinfrenchman wrote:
Dolan wrote:I couldn't watch beyond 22 minutes. The scenario is so trash
May I suggest watching SpongeBob. Perhaps more your speed
It's possible the movie got better later, but after watching most of the scene when they meet the Meryl Streep potus, it looked so much like a cheaper version of Idiocracy, but with a classic impact disaster scenario (of the Armageddon, These Final Hours type) that it became way too cringe to finish.
SpongeBob is fine for what it is, tho idk, I wouldn't spend time watching kids' cartoons
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03

Post by pecelot »

I still think I enjoyed it, but I thought some more about the film after writing that post and I noticed it wasn't as great as I had imagined
IMO if you go past those moments and are willing to suspend your disbelief, it plays out ok; the first 22 minutes may give you the idea that it's a poor and corny disguise of the climate change debate, but it touches on a couple of subjects, and I find it does so well
No Flag Djigit
Howdah

Post by Djigit »

I felt the same at the beginning of the movie. Thing is they had to exaggerate a lot especially in that TMZ-like TV show, because what has been normalized, well appears normal to the eyes of many.

The role of a semi-loser didn't fit DiCaprio. He's definitely one of the very best actors, but maybe he's not able play this kind of role. Besides, I think there were 2-3 moments I found funny, and none involved Jonah Hill. This mofo plays the same role in every movie like Ryan Reynolds.

I somewhat enjoyed watching the movie. A solid 6.8/10
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Djigit wrote:Thing is they had to exaggerate a lot especially in that TMZ-like TV show, because what has been normalized, well appears normal to the eyes of many.
This is the problem with criticizing movies for characters acting irrationally. People irl are dumb as rocks
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

The way Streep played the potus as a dumb bitch giggling like a high school girl because she was 'pretending to be embarrassed' by being caught smoking was what made me just close the player.
Like wtf was that lol. I get it, they're ridiculing Washington DC as a snake pit of shady characters that got there not through merit but connections, but this was just way over the top.
At least the potus from Idiocracy was funny.
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03

Post by pecelot »

yeah, there's the signature Leo move of angrily screaming at the top of his lungs, but I quite enjoyed his part as a family man and an insecure PhD

I guess I don't watch too much of Jonah Hill, I unironically liked “Jump Street 21” and “... 22”. Some of his stuff was hilarious (some jabs at JenLaw), some not (the prayer to preserve the cool stuff)

I think the TV show (with Cate Blanchett) was actually the centrepiece of the film, depicting contemporary “modest” attention spans, click-bait galore and intellectual shallowness; it sounds plain, but IMO it was well done
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03

Post by pecelot »

Dolan wrote:The way Streep played the potus as a dumb bitch giggling like a high school girl because she was 'pretending to be embarrassed' by being caught smoking was what made me just close the player.
Like wtf was that lol. I get it, they're ridiculing Washington DC as a snake pit of shady characters that got there not through merit but connections, but this was just way over the top.
At least the potus from Idiocracy was funny.
maybe they tried to establish her character as being in over her head, not the sharpest tool in the shed — can you imagine Joe Biden's reaction to such stuff? the fact that POTUS's administration behaved in the way the did was rather appalling and pretty laughable, but I already talked about that above
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

They tried to project this image of "look who is potus now, some uppity lean-in broad, that treats every subject and interlocutor in transactional terms, like <<what's in it for me and my career if I bring this catastrophic news>>, while planting her arms on her hips".
It's just not the kind of authority that a president of a country projects, maybe the role just didn't fit Meryl Streep at all.
Caricature and all, but not a believable rendition imo.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Dolan wrote:They tried to project this image of "look who is potus now, some uppity lean-in broad, that treats every subject and interlocutor in transactional terms, like <<what's in it for me and my career if I bring this catastrophic news>>, while planting her arms on her hips".
It's just not the kind of authority that a president of a country projects
So unrealistic for a president to behave in that way
Attachments
DsPE08yWkAIkl6-.jpg
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

O, and I thought she was supposed to play a potential Hillary as potus, given that she had framed pictures on her desk with her hugging Bill Clinton
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Dolan wrote:O, and I thought she was supposed to play a potential Hillary as potus, given that she had framed pictures on her desk with her hugging Bill Clinton
Idk if this is actually in the movie or a joke, but one of the writers worked on Bernie's campaign so I wouldn't be surprised
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

fightinfrenchman wrote:
Dolan wrote:O, and I thought she was supposed to play a potential Hillary as potus, given that she had framed pictures on her desk with her hugging Bill Clinton
Idk if this is actually in the movie or a joke, but one of the writers worked on Bernie's campaign so I wouldn't be surprised
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

Don't look up = cringe
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03

Post by pecelot »

fightinfrenchman wrote:
Idk if this is actually in the movie or a joke
same
I thought that her purpose was a not-so-subtle critique of the last two presidents; if you're not into it, then Jonah Hill probably won't help, he goes in deep with his “spoilt personality”