Official "Complain about your job" thread

This is for discussions about news, politics, sports, other games, culture, philosophy etc.
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Re: Official "Complain about your job" thread

Post by Dolan »

Goodspeed wrote:
Dolan wrote:
Show hidden quotes
There are backends even running on fucking ruby or some other slow joke, so, sure, why not.
Right, other people are doing dumb shit so why not us? :lol:
Why would it be dumb shit? I think you're talking based on memes. Most of the people who have this attitude, from what I've noticed, they just repeat stuff they heard elsewhere.
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

Dolan wrote:
Goodspeed wrote:
Dolan wrote:Well, keep laughing, because eventually you're going to have to learn it. :lol:
I already did have to. But I stay away from it as much as possible, which has helped my peace of mind greatly :lol:
Why, is it like too difficult for you or what's the problem?
It's a bad language :lol:
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

Dolan wrote:
Goodspeed wrote:
Show hidden quotes
Right, other people are doing dumb shit so why not us? :lol:
Why would it be dumb shit? I think you're talking based on memes. Most of the people who have this attitude, from what I've noticed, they just repeat stuff they heard elsewhere.
I'm not interested in a discussion about why js is bad. If you don't agree, that's okay :lol:
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

Goodspeed wrote:
Dolan wrote:
Show hidden quotes
Why, is it like too difficult for you or what's the problem?
It's a bad language :lol:
"It's a bad language, I heard it on the internet, but I can't explain." - the argument.
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

I often have to work with it. We have a dev team of 3 and a bunch of websites to maintain. I'm aware that "JS is bad" is a popular position on the internet.. Sometimes the internet is right. It's also right about PHP.
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

Well ok then you probably have your own opinion on it and can explain it.
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

Indeed. It's a common topic of discussion in our team, which contains 1 guy who actually likes js despite complaining about it almost daily.
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

I'm neither a big fan of JS nor a big hater of it. I kinda learned not to be surprised by anything when it comes to whatever choice of tools people make.
So if some ppl like to use PHP, whatever. Same for JS, Ruby, Go or whatever floats their boat. It's just a means to an end, I wouldn't obsess much over what language I'd use to build something.
India Ashvin
Retired Contributor
ESO: Octanium

Post by Ashvin »

What Dolan said ^^. i dont think any dev should hate any tool. You can have your preference but negative bias is never healthy
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

Dolan wrote:I'm neither a big fan of JS nor a big hater of it. I kinda learned not to be surprised by anything when it comes to whatever choice of tools people make.
So if some ppl like to use PHP, whatever. Same for JS, Ruby, Go or whatever floats their boat. It's just a means to an end, I wouldn't obsess much over what language I'd use to build something.
Surely, having worked in this field, you know how impactful choices like this can be.

We used to have a php backend. It was your average legacy php code base that makes you want to rm -rf which, I know in the end it's up to the programmer but php does absolutely nothing to stop you from writing horrible code. Despite most of our team being more experienced with php, we switched to c# and over time it has drastically improved our time to market, code quality and flexibility.
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

Ashvin wrote:What Dolan said ^^. i dont think any dev should hate any tool. You can have your preference but negative bias is never healthy
It's unhealthy to have an opinion on a programming language, and to avoid working with it because you don't enjoy it?
India Ashvin
Retired Contributor

Post by Ashvin »

Goodspeed wrote:
Ashvin wrote:What Dolan said ^^. i dont think any dev should hate any tool. You can have your preference but negative bias is never healthy
It's unhealthy to have an opinion on a programming language, and to avoid working with it because you don't enjoy it?
It is not wise to have an opinion on sth just because you dont enjoy a tech or because people dont like it. Avoid it by all means, but avoiding is one thing and flat out critizing it on some personal bias is another.
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

Ashvin wrote:
Goodspeed wrote:
It is not wise to have an opinion on just because you dont enjoy a tech or because people dont like it.
And why are you assuming that's the basis for my opinion?
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

JS has some really humble roots, but recently it has improved a lot, especially after ES5. It's growing into a language with some modern features. I still think it has some way to go before reaching a decent level. Those legacy parts that usually ppl make fun of won't be removed, but new features will be brought that will greatly improve it. For example, there will be some form of typed objects at some point. They already introduced support for native integers with BigInt. So as these new features will be introduced, it will gradually offset those legacy inconsistencies.
India Ashvin
Retired Contributor

Post by Ashvin »

evident from the thread, you haven't mentioned one good reason which would say otherwise
India Ashvin
Retired Contributor

Post by Ashvin »

Not saying I love js, in fact i'd prefer working with another language if there is so much as slightest chance. But I'd never shoot the idea of working with it if it does the job better than anything out there.
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

Ashvin wrote:evident from the thread, you haven't mentioned one good reason which would say otherwise
In my xp, discussions about programming languages can get really long and tedious and it's not something I'm interested in. But I don't think js is bad just because I don't enjoy working with it. You can choose not to believe that if it makes you feel better.
Ashvin wrote:Not saying I love js, in fact i'd prefer working with another language if there is so much as slightest chance. But I'd never shoot the idea of working with it if it does the job better than anything out there.
Neither would I. It seems you're making a lot of wrong assumptions about my opinion on the matter.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Post by fightinfrenchman »

Goodspeed wrote:In my xp,
Very nerdy abbreviation ngl
Dromedary Scone Mix is not Alone Mix
Czech Republic EAGLEMUT
ESOC Dev Team
Donator 05
ESO: EAGLEMUT
Clan: WPact

Post by EAGLEMUT »

Goodspeed wrote:
Dolan wrote:I'm neither a big fan of JS nor a big hater of it. I kinda learned not to be surprised by anything when it comes to whatever choice of tools people make.
Surely, having worked in this field, you know how impactful choices like this can be.

We used to have a php backend. It was your average legacy php code base that makes you want to rm -rf which, I know in the end it's up to the programmer but php does absolutely nothing to stop you from writing horrible code. Despite most of our team being more experienced with php, we switched to c# and over time it has drastically improved our time to market, code quality and flexibility.
Sounds like rewriting it in modern php with your team's experience would probably have had the same end effect, with the transition being easier.
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

Debating a meme response like "that may have been true if php wasn't such a piece of shit" or a boring response like "agree to disagree".

Take your pick I guess
India Ashvin
Retired Contributor

Post by Ashvin »

Goodspeed wrote:
Ashvin wrote:evident from the thread, you haven't mentioned one good reason which would say otherwise
In my xp, discussions about programming languages can get really long and tedious and it's not something I'm interested in. But I don't think js is bad just because I don't enjoy working with it. You can choose not to believe that if it makes you feel better.
I don't think me believing in anything related to your opinion is gonna do anything, you are entitled to have an opinion regardless of what it is.
Ashvin wrote:Not saying I love js, in fact i'd prefer working with another language if there is so much as slightest chance. But I'd never shoot the idea of working with it if it does the job better than anything out there.
Neither would I. It seems you're making a lot of wrong assumptions about my opinion on the matter.
I am just using the information i got from the thread. No bias.
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

You aren't just using the info in the thread, because I don't state anywhere that I think js is bad just because I don't enjoy it. I also don't state anywhere that I would shoot the idea of using it if it's the best tool for the job. I'm not going to sit here and pretend it isn't currently the best intermediary between backend and browser. That doesn't make it a good language, though.

When I say I try to avoid js I mean that whenever there is a task that involves working with it, if at all possible I will leave it to someone else. And generally I tend to stay away from projects that involve a lot of frontend web development.
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

Boomer
Great Britain chris1089
Retired Contributor
ESO: chris1089

Post by chris1089 »

Dolan wrote:Boomer
Brilliant refutation.
India Ashvin
Retired Contributor

Post by Ashvin »

Goodspeed wrote:You aren't just using the info in the thread, because I don't state anywhere that I think js is bad just because I don't enjoy it. I also don't state anywhere that I would shoot the idea of using it if it's the best tool for the job. I'm not going to sit here and pretend it isn't currently the best intermediary between backend and browser. That doesn't make it a good language, though.

When I say I try to avoid js I mean that whenever there is a task that involves working with it, if at all possible I will leave it to someone else. And generally I tend to stay away from projects that involve a lot of frontend web development.
chill, its okay :chinese: