Political Compass

This is for discussions about news, politics, sports, other games, culture, philosophy etc.
New Zealand zoom
Gendarme
ESO: Funnu

Political Compass

Post by zoom »

https://www.politicalcompass.org/test

I think that a few of the questions are unfortunately worded, but the result should be representative enough. It might be interesting to share results and see others' rating, who don't mind sharing, themselves:

https://www.politicalcompass.org/yourpo ... &soc=-5.74
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Re: Political Compass

Post by gibson »

Pretty sure theres already a thread for this, but I was almost the same as you

https://www.politicalcompass.org/yourpo ... &soc=-5.03
Great Britain I_HaRRiiSoN_I
Retired Contributor

Post by I_HaRRiiSoN_I »

I got essentially a zero/zero score. Not sure how the religion section should affect the results. I think I would actually sit around 30% right up 50% up
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

Found another one, not sure if it's granular enough to capture the diversity of people's political orientations. Not even sure if it's valid, I mean why should environmentalism or accelerationism be leftwing? Christian-democracy, center-left? Uhm, looking questionable, ngl. Christian-dems have been typically conservative-minded, at least in Europe.
Still, maybe someone finds this listing useful.

No Flag lejend
Jaeger

Post by lejend »

zoom wrote:https://www.politicalcompass.org/test

I think that a few of the questions are unfortunately worded, but the result should be representative enough. It might be interesting to share results and see others' rating, who don't mind sharing, themselves:
That test is notoriously flawed. I don't think they understand what the term libertarian means.
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

As for the test, I must say I'm sorry, I'm unable to answer such tests. Because if you're a politician who gets in a position of power, you're never faced with questions like:

"If economic globalisation is inevitable, it should primarily serve humanity rather than the interests of trans-national corporations. "

There are also medium-sized transnational firms, small transnational firms, and corporations are not necessarily outside the scope of humanity. So, yeah the wording is quite unfortunate.
Today there are also lots of people working remotely, so globalisation or trans-nationalisation of labour has also created new jobs. There isn't necessarily only a destructive antagonism between global and local economies.
New Zealand zoom
Gendarme
ESO: Funnu

Post by zoom »

It's about values, not policy, though. Try to focus on your reaction instead of overanalyzing things.

Your quote of choice's more significant flaw, to me, is that it's a very leading question, in juxtaposing the two alternatives; I imagine that most respondents were inclined to favor serving humanity.
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

Well, you see, that's the problem with such tests: in trying to pigeonhole someone, they tend to oversimplify political dilemmas to almost cartoonish levels. It's like the Myers-Briggs of political orientations.
Germany blackout
Dragoon

Post by blackout »

https://www.politicalcompass.org/yourpo ... &soc=-7.54

Seems like we are all in the same gang 8-)
Netherlands edeholland
ESOC Community Team
Donator 01
ESO: edeholland
GameRanger ID: 4053888
Clan: ESOC

Post by edeholland »

No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

I see two big flaws:
1. Why cant I be neutral on things?
2. The big state vs small state is hardly discussed.
Great Britain Riotcoke
Retired Contributor
ECL Reigning ChampsDonator 01
ESO: Riotcoke
Clan: UwU

Post by Riotcoke »

The test is heavily flawed with not being able to be neutral. But here i'm purple.

twitch.tv/stangoesdeepTV
United States of America occamslightsaber
Retired Contributor
ESO: L1BERTYPR1ME

Post by occamslightsaber »

This chart just called me a filthy leftie!

The scientific term for China creating free units is Mitoe-sis.

I intend all my puns.
Australia wardyb1
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: wardyb1

Post by wardyb1 »

It would be worthwhile posting some of the questions and seeing how we all argued/interpreted them.
“To love the journey is to accept no such end. I have found, through painful experience, that the most important step a person can take is always the next one.”
Kiribati princeofcarthage
Retired Contributor

Post by princeofcarthage »

Fine line to something great is a strange change.
Retired Contributor

I think I answered a couple other than what I intended but pretty close I guess
Retired Contributor

@Dolan instead of overanalyzing stuff and trying to act smart just fucking answer, it's about what you think and where you are inclined, ofc politicians aren't faced with most of the questions in the quiz but the answers to them indicate your likely policy on issue.
Vietnam duckzilla
Jaeger

Post by duckzilla »

I always knew it: I am Ghandi.
Somewhere close to -5.5/-5.5.

Neutral answers would have been nice.
Whatever is written above: this is no financial advice.

Beati pauperes spiritu.
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

IMG_6761.PNG
Of course you're not going to get perfect questions. Also, "it doesn't really matter."

If I recall, last time I took this I complained about the wording - a lot of these are phrased as negatives, and so double negatives arise in the answers which is unnecessarily complicated.
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

zoom wrote:It's about values, not policy, though. Try to focus on your reaction instead of overanalyzing things.
Politics is not so much about values, as it's about policies. You don't govern to make a point about values, you govern and administer things to get certain results.

Sure, you can raise the objection that how policy priorities are set can reflect underlying values, but in real politics that's rarely the case. Most of the time, even "leftwing" parties or presidents can make decisions that run against their typical and traditional stance on issues, such as Obama bailing out banks and saving big capital with public money. Or Trump handing out free money to Americans during the corona crisis, despite him being a "rightwing" president. They do this because they think that's the practical policy that is needed in that context, they don't just sit back and think "hm, I wonder if this policy sits well with my values". No, they are prompted by a certain context to react with policy that works.

So really, policy and politics don't lend themselves much to simplifications. Just think about how tens of millions of people with tens of millions of different values may vote for the same candidate and that candidate, if he gets in power, he has to govern in a way that reconciles views among his voters that can be very wide apart. And the way in which you do this is by setting priorities, based on the most common and pressing issues supported by your voters. Which again, may be all over the political spectrum, people don't necessarily have leftwing, rightwing, libertarian or authoritarian life problems, they have problems with not having good enough infrastructure, health services, retirement plans, housing policies, green spaces, etc.

What is more, it's quite possible that your voters' "values" might be simply the result of political illusions. So they might want to live in a society that is both communist and that affords everyone with a high level of material wealth. But if they implement communism, they might discover that it tends to make everyone poorer, albeit keeping wealth inequalities lower. That's why I'm not a big fan of political discourse that emphasises values too much, because government is about what works, not about what we'd all wish to happen, under ideal conditions.
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

@deleted_user4
Welp, I'm probably one of the few ppl here who actually worked with the government and politicians and had to create policy. It's been like just 2-3 years immediately after I finished uni, but very intense ones. I even participated in some trade unions negotiations once. It's tougher than you see on TV, those people really know a lot about very concrete stuff, like different components of income, wages, deductions, etc. I've never met policies that were purely leftwing/rightwing/authoritarian/libertarian. (In fact, "libertarian government policies" is a bit of a contradiction in terms.)
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

Huh I had no idea you actually worked with the government and politicians to create policy.
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

Yeah and I'm glad I got out of it. Doing actual politics sucks.
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

Will someone be able to beat my leftism highscore?