US riots

This is for discussions about news, politics, sports, other games, culture, philosophy etc.
United States of America vardar
Lancer
ESO: VardarB98/DemonDeacs

Re: Minneapolis riots

Post by vardar »

But he didn’t die from that. You legally can’t charge someone for murder by choking/asphyxiation when in reality he wasn’t joked to death. They can charge for other crimes but, if I’m not mistaken, legally he did not murder him by choking. I’m not defending the fact that George died and the officer went rogue in his procedures, but laws are still to be followed in this case. The officer could still be charged because the way his knee was on his neck could have caused a shock in George’s body that led to his eventual death. If the prosecutors can argue this case well enough but idk how much they will be able to prove intent to kill. Some sort of involuntary or voluntary manslaughter route could be taken.

If someone is familiar/practiced with how the laws work on this sort of case they should chime in.
c0ns!
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

@007Salt
Well, if we go by these autopsy results, then at most, there might have been an indirect influence (caused by the police) on what triggered his death. That is, he had a shock because he got caught and his pre-existing heart condition and drug usage aggravated this shock.
What could the police do, first ask a suspect if they have all their medical tests up to date and any known health issue, before telling them they're being arrested?
Italy gamevideo113
Howdah
ESO: gamevideo113

Post by gamevideo113 »

@Dolan Do you think the 3 (4) officers would not have been able to restrain a handcuffed man on the ground if one of them didn't have a knee on his neck (which can also be the cause of a circulatory shock, since as you say it can induce respiratory symptoms)? Do you think it was necessary to keep the knee on the guy's neck even after he passed out? It's clear that there was an excessive use of force and that alone provides ground for protesting, regardless of the exact cause of death.
[Some people aspire to be pr30+, some people aspire to have fun, and some people aspire to play 3v3 Deccan.] - vividlyplain - 2019 Who (nationality) rape ?
stupid logic. noob players can say op?
toxic, Insult, Racism ?
Lancer

Post by vardar »

@Dolan the department released a statement that the officers procedure was not taught in training. Pretty sure that is not endorsed my majority of departments nationwide.
c0ns!
Italy gamevideo113
Howdah
ESO: gamevideo113

Post by gamevideo113 »

Dolan wrote:@007Salt
Well, if we go by these autopsy results, then at most, there might have been an indirect influence (caused by the police) on what triggered his death. That is, he had a shock because he got caught and his pre-existing heart condition and drug usage aggravated this shock.
What could the police do, first ask a suspect if they have all their medical tests up to date and any known health issue, before telling them they're being arrested?
So basically it's nobody's fault, he died because he wasn't healthy enough to be strangled just a little bit?
At the very least lifting the infamous knee when solicited to do so (since the situation was totally under control) would have made the situation look a whole lot different.
[Some people aspire to be pr30+, some people aspire to have fun, and some people aspire to play 3v3 Deccan.] - vividlyplain - 2019 Who (nationality) rape ?
stupid logic. noob players can say op?
toxic, Insult, Racism ?
Kiribati princeofcarthage
Retired Contributor

Post by princeofcarthage »

gamevideo113 wrote:
princeofcarthage wrote:
Show hidden quotes
Nice try, this 1470's reverse burn tries won't work on me :hmm: :love:
Nice try, this "i can start insulting you but i am immune to your insults" won't work on me ^_^ :blush: Attaboy
:sad:
Well for one I wasn't insulting you.
Fine line to something great is a strange change.
United States of America n0el
ESOC Business Team
ESO: jezabob
Clan: 팀 하우스

Post by n0el »

If he isn't found guilty of murder, the entire country will burn.
mad cuz bad
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

n0el wrote:
So it seems the law should only apply to police officers when it works against them now? That's quite the ironic twist.
Netherlands Mr_Bramboy
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: [VOC] Bram

Post by Mr_Bramboy »

fightinfrenchman wrote:
Dolan wrote:Not sure if anyone paid attention, but considering that the official results of Floyd's autopsy revealed that he did not die of asphyxiation, doesn't this turn the whole debate on its head? If it's proven in court that his death was not due to police maltreatment, will these riots not be seen as simply triggered by a perception of events that would eventually prove to be false?
It's not really relevant because he was saying he couldn't breathe and the cop continued kneeling on his neck until he died. The intent is the issue
Because the police officer received adequate training and knew the signals of asphyxiation.
Sweden martinspjuth
Dragoon
ESO: martinspjuth

Post by martinspjuth »

You should be able to sing about whatever you want in whichever way you want. That doesn’t mean it should be played on the radio.
If the song promotes or glorifies criminality it should be banned from radio and have an age restriction on music streaming services, just like videogames have an age restriction and just like Youtube has nsfw warnings.
@n0el @vardar @Goodspeed

Edit: Apparently it is already in place. Sorry for not checking that before.
ESOC Business Team

Post by n0el »

@RefluxSemantic sorry, you have no concept of how the US justice system works.
mad cuz bad
ESOC Business Team

Post by n0el »

martinspjuth wrote:You should be able to sing about whatever you want in whichever way you want. That doesn’t mean it should be played on the radio.
If the song promotes or glorifies criminality it should be banned from radio and have an age restriction on music streaming services, just like videogames have an age restriction and just like Youtube has nsfw warnings.
@n0el @vardar @Goodspeed
We have that
mad cuz bad
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

gamevideo113 wrote:@Dolan Do you think the 3 (4) officers would not have been able to restrain a handcuffed man on the ground if one of them didn't have a knee on his neck (which can also be the cause of a circulatory shock, since as you say it can induce respiratory symptoms)? Do you think it was necessary to keep the knee on the guy's neck even after he passed out? It's clear that there was an excessive use of force and that alone provides ground for protesting, regardless of the exact cause of death.
It was reported when this whole thing started that this procedure is allowed as long as it doesn't obstruct the airway:
Speaking to US media on Tuesday, Chief Arradondo said the force's policies "regarding placing someone under control" will be reviewed as part of the probe.
According to the Associated Press news agency, Minneapolis police officers are allowed under the department's use-of-force policy to kneel on a suspect's neck as long as they do not obstruct the airway.
Tbh, this "neck restraint" procedure seems to have a pretty bad record. There are tens of cases of people losing consciousness because of it. And there have been experts over the years raising issues with how dangerous this could be, especially in cases of people with pre-existing health conditions.
gamevideo113 wrote:So basically it's nobody's fault, he died because he wasn't healthy enough to be strangled just a little bit?
At the very least lifting the infamous knee when solicited to do so (since the situation was totally under control) would have made the situation look a whole lot different.
I don't know, I don't establish guilt, that's for the judiciary to establish, I was just curious why people keep talking as if the police officer actually caused his death, even though there's no public evidence yet that this is the case. Maybe everyone should just calm down and wait for the investigation to be completed. I agree, though, that this "neck restraint" procedure is not 100% safe, in fact it has a pretty high rate of causing suspects to lose consciousness (tens of such cases).
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

n0el wrote:
What if Floyd actually died of a stroke caused by strong emotions, on a backdrop of drugs and heart disease? He could have got this shock from anything, like getting caught up in a shooting.
I don't get your statement, why should the country burn if the police are found to not have caused his death through their actions.
ESOC Business Team

Post by n0el »

He died because of the officer using excessive force. It doesn't matter if he had pre-existing conditions.
mad cuz bad
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

martinspjuth wrote:You should be able to sing about whatever you want in whichever way you want. That doesn’t mean it should be played on the radio.
@n0el @vardar @Goodspeed
That's a thing. But songs often get "R" ratings for the wrong reasons. Like we can't have people saying the word fuck but glorifying obsessive behavior or sexualizing children is a-ok.
Sweden martinspjuth
Dragoon
ESO: martinspjuth

Post by martinspjuth »

Goodspeed wrote:
@n0el @vardar @Goodspeed
That's a thing. But songs often get "R" ratings for the wrong reasons. Like we can't have people saying the word fuck but glorifying obsessive behavior or sexualizing children is a-ok.
Then that's what need to change. :biggrin:
ESOC Business Team

Post by n0el »

Need some advanced AI then
mad cuz bad
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

n0el wrote:He died because of the officer using excessive force. It doesn't matter if he had pre-existing conditions.
This is not what the autopsy implies at all though
ESOC Business Team

Post by n0el »

@RefluxSemantic It is what the independent autopsy implies.
mad cuz bad
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

I'm actually curious what the court will decide on this.
Vietnam duckzilla
Jaeger

Post by duckzilla »

So... If I burn someone's house while he is inside and he dies because of a heart attack out of stress (pre-existing heart condition!) instead of burning alive...
Then I did not actually murder him, right? Because he had a heart condition and did not die directly due to the fire.
Whatever is written above: this is no financial advice.

Beati pauperes spiritu.
Lancer

Post by vardar »

I’m not saying their music should be legally banned. I’m saying it should not be glorified and listened to. It’s a part of the problem and it glorifies terrible acts. Why would someone want to listen to music like that? It perpetuates and numbs the seriousness of the situation. People listen to it on their way to school or coming home from work. They sing along to it. Does anyone not question the twisted conscious and actions of Melly and artists of the like?

There could be a whole semester class on music and it’s effects on society. Youre trying to deflect the problem by saying there’s other genres that are bad. I’m not talking about those instances because that is not the subject we are talking about. If we want to talk about how toxic country music plays a role on white country folk then we can have that and I will condone it. I don’t give a shit about Mellys race I care about the fact that he raps how violent and dangerous he is. He is a part of the problem no differently than any violent offender is. Problem is, his voice reaches millions.
c0ns!
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

duckzilla wrote:So... If I burn someone's house while he is inside and he dies because of a heart attack out of stress (pre-existing heart condition!) instead of burning alive...
Then I did not actually murder him, right? Because he had a heart condition and did not die directly due to the fire.
A fire will eventually kill someone. It's an inevitable and inescapable outcome, unless they manage to get out of it.
A neck restraint procedure does not necessarily and inescapably kill someone, there's no inevitable outcome in such a case. Although this procedure does have a bad track record of tens of people losing consciousness because of it, so in some cases it might be dangerous to use.
Lancer

Post by vardar »

duckzilla wrote:So... If I burn someone's house while he is inside and he dies because of a heart attack out of stress (pre-existing heart condition!) instead of burning alive...
Justice system differentiates between instances of crime and it’s unhealthy to make comparisons like that. It’s more complicated than that.

Officer can still get charged with George’s death but it is not a one size fits all situation and nor should it be. You guys are trying to dumb down the situation into very simple terms.
c0ns!