US riots

This is for discussions about news, politics, sports, other games, culture, philosophy etc.
Australia wardyb1
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: wardyb1

Re: Minneapolis riots

Post by wardyb1 »

Fucking chemical warfare. This would a literal war crime if it was against anyone but their own civilians.
“To love the journey is to accept no such end. I have found, through painful experience, that the most important step a person can take is always the next one.”
United States of America vardar
Lancer
ESO: VardarB98/DemonDeacs

Post by vardar »

@wardyb1 no, I think you have 10 bad cops not 1010. How is this different than if you had a population of 1000 people and 10 of them were rule breakers. The 10 should be taken care of. Agreed, bad officers should not be allowed to go to other cities and do the same they were doing before.

Don’t make good cops’ jobs harder because of the bad ones. It’s already a toxic environment and now it’s worse. Now if you propose the majority of cops are bad, then we have a different situation. Same with if you think the whole system is corrupt.

And these riots and protests are out of control. Can’t really compare these instances to that of day to day police operations. These are riot squads and national guards units, not city police or even state troopers or DEA agents. Some bad situations from these videos. Was never really arguing about the actions of national guard and riot squad units in times like these.

Just drove by a state trooper that had someone pulled over. Stupid pig.
c0ns!
Kiribati princeofcarthage
Retired Contributor

Post by princeofcarthage »

Should just charge all of the officers involved, declare them guilty and be done with it.
Fine line to something great is a strange change.
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

vardar wrote:@wardyb1 no, I think you have 10 bad cops not 1010. How is this different than if you had a population of 1000 people and 10 of them were rule breakers.
Because citizens aren't all given immense judicial exercise to end someone's life, and aren't ever in a position to prevent it when it's being done by authorities. The police are sworn in to protect and serve. They inhabit a position of incredible authority and are the only other persons that exist as the only equal of that power to prevent their coworker's abuse of that power, in real time.

Whether you take this thought experiment as literal or not, something should be done to prevent abuse. And other cops are the only persons that can challenge that before irreversible consequences occur.

I advocate for increased training for all personnel involved in areas as important as a person's life, which is naturally at stake with a knee on their neck for 8 minutes because they were selling cigarettes for $1 when the victim repeatedly exclaimed they can't breathe and two other police were onlookers. I advocate for no reprehension if another authority figure steps in.

Being a cop is hard. It should be hard. You get to decide if someone lives or not. It should be a hard job to keep. Chauvin had 18 filed complaints on his record. His onlooking partner had been previously sued for excessive force.
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

Mr_Brightside wrote:I think you could do all three, but then state those three things. The protests that have been in my city, at least, have simply said they are "Black Lives Matter protests" or that they want "black voices to be heard", which are sentiments I agree with, but I feel like the lack of a clear objective makes actual concrete change less likely to result from them. I am also of the opinion that asking for less may make lawmakers more willing to listen; for example, if a group in my city organize an event showing solidarity for Amash's bill, I believe that type of focussed approach has a stronger message than the protests that have occurred thus far, at least in my city. I just think having a practical goal, like targeting a certain piece of legislation, is the more effective measure.
I think black lives matter protests are silly. They contribute basically nothing to a solution. Its an obvious message to those that agree and I feel like people that dont agree will use this stuff to justify their views. Its basically symbolism that isnt going to make things better.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Post by fightinfrenchman »

RefluxSemantic wrote:
Mr_Brightside wrote:I think you could do all three, but then state those three things. The protests that have been in my city, at least, have simply said they are "Black Lives Matter protests" or that they want "black voices to be heard", which are sentiments I agree with, but I feel like the lack of a clear objective makes actual concrete change less likely to result from them. I am also of the opinion that asking for less may make lawmakers more willing to listen; for example, if a group in my city organize an event showing solidarity for Amash's bill, I believe that type of focussed approach has a stronger message than the protests that have occurred thus far, at least in my city. I just think having a practical goal, like targeting a certain piece of legislation, is the more effective measure.
I think black lives matter protests are silly. They contribute basically nothing to a solution. Its an obvious message to those that agree and I feel like people that dont agree will use this stuff to justify their views. Its basically symbolism that isnt going to make things better.
What would you recommend people do instead, guy who says people in the US should literally revolt?
Dromedary Scone Mix is not Alone Mix
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

-- deleted post --

Reason: on request (off-topic bulk delete)
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/incog_aoe
Garja wrote:
20 Mar 2020, 21:46
I just hope DE is not going to implement all of the EP changes. Right now it is a big clusterfuck.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Post by fightinfrenchman »

iNcog wrote:
deleted_user wrote:
vardar wrote:@wardyb1 no, I think you have 10 bad cops not 1010. How is this different than if you had a population of 1000 people and 10 of them were rule breakers.
Because citizens aren't all given immense judicial exercise to end someone's life, and aren't ever in a position to prevent it when it's being done by authorities. The police are sworn in to protect and serve. They inhabit a position of incredible authority and are the only other persons that exist as the only equal of that power to prevent their coworker's abuse of that power, in real time.

Whether you take this thought experiment as literal or not, something should be done to prevent abuse. And other cops are the only persons that can challenge that before irreversible consequences occur.

I advocate for increased training for all personnel involved in areas as important as a person's life, which is naturally at stake with a knee on their neck for 8 minutes because they were selling cigarettes for $1 when the victim repeatedly exclaimed they can't breathe and two other police were onlookers. I advocate for no reprehension if another authority figure steps in.

Being a cop is hard. It should be hard. You get to decide if someone lives or not. It should be a hard job to keep. Chauvin had 18 filed complaints on his record. His onlooking partner had been previously sued for excessive force.
well floyd was possibly breaking the law thus he had it coming to him. if he had just stayed on being possibly on the good side of the law, he would have possibly lived.

white silence is Complicity lol
Don't forget that he also may have had a pre-existing medical condition, thus doubling how badly he deserved to die
Dromedary Scone Mix is not Alone Mix
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

-- deleted post --

Garja wrote:
I just hope DE is not going to implement all of the EP changes. Right now it is a big clusterfuck.
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

deleted_user wrote:It's not just "talking fast." It's speaking in line with a beat, with lyrics that were written and edited.
If speaking in line with a beat is music, then those drumroll public announcements are music.
Basil Bunting wanted all of his poetry to be spoken out loud. Poetry is strong with beat, syllables, stressed and unstressed, and stresses in between. No one sings poetry because poetry is sans music. Poetry is art, with musical attributes. A lot of lyrics have poetic attributes.
Here's your poetry, bro:
Milking this shit, pregnant bitch titties
Bringing home the bacon, I’m fucking Miss Piggy
Loaded like a semi, send me naked pictures
She knows my dick, she call that nigga Richard
Prior to me cumming, I had to stick my thumb in
Her ass one time, smell my finger, make you vomit
But it's not this. There is rhythm, melody, and harmony (Ben). But most of all, it is emotionally effective, which makes it effective art, within the musical genre.
It's primitive and it demeans any qualitative meaning of music. It's a sad reflection of these times when we have to define music based on statistical, quantitative terms, like does it include X, does it include Y. And this is also the result of "American culture" influence, this statistical mindset.
This relativistic concept of art (art is whatever I call art) is Marcel Duchamp's destructive legacy that has pretty much nuked any meaningful way of talking about art. Once you can't challenge another artistic product on qualitative terms, it's pretty much conceptual anarchy, in which anything goes and nobody's vision is qualitatively better than another's.
We can simplify this debate by just agreeing you have a very limited definition of music as art. Tons of music with lyrics, which is art, doesn't "sing" outside of the rap genre. Art is art if it's emotionally effective. If it's not emotionally effective for you, that doesn't make it not art, it makes it not something you enjoy. You aren't the arbiter of music.
Yeah, I don't have an issue only with rap/hh. The 20th century has rendered everything in art so relative that any noise qualifies as music, even silence. What is the outcome? Complete dissolution of values and people calling street thuggery hooting art and music. Yeah, we're at a really low point in humanity's odyssey.
Dolan wrote:And anyway, rap "songs" almost always revolve around the same emotions: me > you, me have bitches and hoes and gold chains and expensive cars, me and mah homies will wreck your shit. It's like the most primitive tribal shit you could come up with.
Terrible generalization.
This is where statistics would be useful. I'm willing to bet 80% of rap is all about bitches, guns, drugs, gold chains, me and the gang in a car, homies etc etc. Really deep stuff. The poetry of me and mah gang gesticulating with gang signs, while talking fast on a beat and jumping around with pants pulled down to the knees.
Try build a civilisation on that.
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

RefluxSemantic wrote:I think black lives matter protests are silly. They contribute basically nothing to a solution. Its an obvious message to those that agree and I feel like people that dont agree will use this stuff to justify their views. Its basically symbolism that isnt going to make things better.
Yeah, tbh, this gave Trump the opportunity to come out and posture as the guy who wants to re-establish order, in contrast to the elected Democrats in those states where looting and destruction took place. He probably was advised to leave things unfold like this for a while, to make protesters and Democrats look like agents of social unrest and property destruction. So he could later come out and pretend he wants to set things right. It's almost like protesters were baited into this.
Vietnam duckzilla
Jaeger

Post by duckzilla »

lol, Trump tear gassing peaceful protesters in front of the white house to cross the street, make some bible selfies with church in background, and then go back.
Whatever is written above: this is no financial advice.

Beati pauperes spiritu.
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

It's becoming important that the US has economic competitors. The rest of the world needs leverage to be able to stop it from committing war crimes against its own citizens and to stop it from sliding further towards authoritarianism.
Such a bad time to Brexit..
Australia wardyb1
Retired Contributor
Donator 01

Post by wardyb1 »

Yep, just a few bad apples folks. Nothing to see here. Nothing to worry about all.
“To love the journey is to accept no such end. I have found, through painful experience, that the most important step a person can take is always the next one.”
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

If the US police had trouble recruiting until now, imagine how it's going to be from now on. Basically nobody will want to join. Solution? Lower entry conditions even more.
Great Britain chris1089
Retired Contributor
ESO: chris1089

Post by chris1089 »

fightinfrenchman wrote:
What on earth? Is there any basis whatsoever for this? Is there some context that I am not aware of?

On rap music, I dislike the majority of it because I find it very vulgar. However the good stuff is like poetry onsteroids, and it's very good. @Dolan it does invoke emotion. Recommendations: NF and if you're into Christian stuff then beautiful eulogy, Shai Linne and Lecrae.
Italy gamevideo113
Howdah
ESO: gamevideo113

Post by gamevideo113 »

At this point there's probably 1h+ of footage of american cops using excessive violence in the last few days... imagine what wasn't caught on camera
[Some people aspire to be pr30+, some people aspire to have fun, and some people aspire to play 3v3 Deccan.] - vividlyplain - 2019 Who (nationality) rape ?
stupid logic. noob players can say op?
toxic, Insult, Racism ?
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

-- deleted post --

Garja wrote:
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

-- deleted post --

Garja wrote:
Sweden martinspjuth
Dragoon
ESO: martinspjuth

Post by martinspjuth »

Goodspeed wrote:It's becoming important that the US has economic competitors. The rest of the world needs leverage to be able to stop it from committing war crimes against its own citizens and to stop it from sliding further towards authoritarianism.
Such a bad time to Brexit..
What competitors, China? Yeah, because they care sooo much for human rights and are not authoritarian at all, right?

EU? An extremely inefficient organization of countries who can't agree on anything more significant than a ban on vacuum cleaners over a certain wattage. EU can't get along with how to distribute refugees, have countries who clearly go towards authoritarianism and move their headquarters to the cost of over 100 million euros and lots of pollution, just to satisfy the ego of one of its member states.
Honestly, Britain could have done a good thing by leaving EU. Most (all?) good things about EU is possible with separate treaties without the need for a level of authority above the government level.
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

Nice rant. I never said that it's currently realistic for the world to use leverage to get the US in line, just that it's becoming important.
Australia wardyb1
Retired Contributor
Donator 01

Post by wardyb1 »

Just in case anyone here still doesn't get it.
Sweden martinspjuth
Dragoon
ESO: martinspjuth

Post by martinspjuth »

Goodspeed wrote:Nice rant. I never said that it's currently realistic for the world to use leverage to get the US in line, just that it's becoming important.
You said it was a bad time for Brexit, in the context of US needing economic competitors who can put pressure on the US to do the right thing. If you don’t think it is realistic for the world to use leverage to get US in line, then there is no point bringing up Brexit and saying it was a bad time.
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

martinspjuth wrote:
Goodspeed wrote:Nice rant. I never said that it's currently realistic for the world to use leverage to get the US in line, just that it's becoming important.
You said it was a bad time for Brexit, in the context of US needing economic competitors who can put pressure on the US to do the right thing. If you don’t think it is realistic for the world to use leverage to get US in line, then there is no point bringing up Brexit and saying it was a bad time.
Why does it imply I think it's currently realistic? It's potentially realistic in the future, slightly less so due to Brexit. Anyway I'm not interested in a discussion about Brexit and since you obviously feel strongly, feel free to disregard my comment. It was just a thought.
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

Even with the UK still in the EU, not sure the EU would have played a more prominent role in the world right now. There's so much wavering and hesitation at the EU to play a more assertive role in the world and most of that is due to the fact that the EU is not really a supranational entity. The strongest power agents in the EU are still sovereign states, they have the last word on everything. And this has been really visible during the Covid crisis when everyone defaulted on just managing the crisis within their own borders, without paying much attention to what happened in other EU countries.

Despite this, Eurosceptics continue to believe that the EU is some kind of supranational monster, when it's really far from that. The reason why it's so ineffective and lacks assertiveness on the world stage is precisely because most of the power is in the hands of national governments. So they constantly have to check back with each head of state and government and try to negotiate a common position on everything.