US riots

This is for discussions about news, politics, sports, other games, culture, philosophy etc.
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Re: Minneapolis riots

Post by Dolan »

fightinfrenchman wrote:Nobody is forced to be a police officer. If they'd rather sit in their cars and eat donuts they could quit their jobs and do something productive with their lives. Instead, they are choosing to escalate protests into violence
Yeah, I hope that too. I hope they all quit their jobs and go work on a farm or something.
United States of America XeeleeFlower
Retired Contributor
Xeelee Patron

Post by XeeleeFlower »

@duckzilla I feel it's important to not just watch clips, but to watch entire streams and videos. Context is so important. Yes, in many instances of these protests and riots, cops were definitely in the wrong. However, we don't see in a 30 second clip how people are pushed to their breaking point. Cops are humans who are imperfect. I am not making excuses for them. I am simply trying to empathize and to get others to do the same. When police brutality clips get thrown up everywhere and people are inundated with it, they lash out even more. It's a vicious cycle. There are videos showing cops respecting protesters, but those don't get as much attention. People want to be angry and stay angry. Do we have a right to feel that way? Of course we do! But there is absolutely no excuse for people to loot, vandalize, antagonize, etc.
Some positive police vids
fightinfrenchman wrote:Police are the ones escalating these protests into violence
If you watched the video I linked above, maybe you would think differently. I even went through and timestamped the links for it to be easier so you don't have to watch the entire broadcast (though you really should).
Dolan wrote:From those vids, it looks like it's antifa activists who are escalating.
It's certainly possible. It's also possible that it's other groups (namely white racists) posing as antifa. It could also be accelerationists of differing political leanings, just angry people, government employees, combinations of all the above, who the fuck knows. I've read too many things on too many different forums that I've decided to just look at them as simply instigators and I don't really give a fuck as to who they really are. Whoever they are, they are wielding immense power due to the reactions that are and will be given by the government. Fuck man, Trump wants to use military force. What happens when members of the military choose to protect and serve the citizens instead of the government?

Between these violent riots and COVID, everything is a fucking mess and I'm so worried for the States.
Time is wise and our wounds seem to heal to the rhythm of aging,
But our past is a ghost fading out that at night it’s still haunting.

http://www.galactanet.com/oneoff/theegg_mod.html
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Post by fightinfrenchman »

Yes, there are instigators on every "side." But I'm more concerned about the instigators who essentially have a license to kill
Dromedary Scone Mix is not Alone Mix
Sweden martinspjuth
Dragoon
ESO: martinspjuth

Post by martinspjuth »

I've heard a couple of times now that people think there might be white racist posing as antifa, or that the police have members joining the protestors to throw things and purposely escalate the protests into violence. Especially the last part with the police I find very hard to believe. Have there been any case of such a thing where it has been proven that's what happened (in these protests or earlier)?
United States of America n0el
ESOC Business Team
ESO: jezabob
Clan: 팀 하우스

Post by n0el »

martinspjuth wrote:I've heard a couple of times now that people think there might be white racist posing as antifa, or that the police have members joining the protestors to throw things and purposely escalate the protests into violence. Especially the last part with the police I find very hard to believe. Have there been any case of such a thing where it has been proven that's what happened (in these protests or earlier)?
There's videos going around of police stacking bricks near the protest sites, and there's videos of "protesters" throwing police grade flash bangs and smoke grenades at police.
mad cuz bad
Sweden martinspjuth
Dragoon

Post by martinspjuth »

I've heard that there were stacks of bricks appearing near protest sites, but not that it would be the police stacking them. Can you link any of the videos of this?
As for police grade flash bangs and smoke grenades being used, is that so strange (if it isn't a considerable number of them) considering police cars, and in at least one case a police station, has been taken over by the rioters?
Retired Contributor
Xeelee Patron

Post by XeeleeFlower »

Retired Contributor
Xeelee Patron

Post by XeeleeFlower »

Well fuck:
In addition, officials said that soldiers from Fort Bragg, North Carolina, and Fort Drum, New York, were heading to D.C. and would be based outside the city in case they are needed. They would be prepared to respond, but the officials said they are hopeful those troops will not be needed. If they are sent in, they are not expected to be conducting any law enforcement. The officials declined to say how many active-duty troops were en route.

In addition, members of the Army’s 3rd Infantry Regiment, an active-duty unit known as the Old Guard and most visible as the unit that stands at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier, have been called up to protect Fort Myer, Virginia, the U.S. Army post adjacent to Arlington National Cemetery.

The officials said some of the National Guard in D.C. will be armed and others will not. The officials spoke on condition of anonymity to discuss ongoing military deployments.
https://apnews.com/47135c2d08f7fddef0ddda9d321ba2ea

Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

If the context is missing, it could be anything you want to see.
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

Finally that defense budget is being put to good use. I bet the American people are feeling pretty defended right about now.
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

Those in the suburbs surely don't care much. Or those from cities in which there weren't any incidents.
Kiribati princeofcarthage
Retired Contributor

Post by princeofcarthage »

Goodspeed wrote:Finally that defense budget is being put to good use. I bet the American people are feeling pretty defended right about now.
The army is there to protect the common majority public who is neither protesting nor rioting such as innocent business who are facing the loss. I bet they are ().
Fine line to something great is a strange change.
Sweden martinspjuth
Dragoon

Post by martinspjuth »

I really hope what Dolan posted is the truth. If it isn’t and police really are placing bricks around for rioters to use, this is really sick. I mean they are not killing or beating up people in this video, but this is not done in the heat of the moment. It would be planned. That would truly make me sick.
Hopefully what Dolan posted is the truth and then the people posting this as proof of police placing bricks for rioters to use are participating in spreading misinformation and escalating things.
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

That's the most reasonable explanation. I fail to see how the police planting bricks would help them do their jobs better, if those bricks were hurled at them. And since they're unloading them in the back of the police station, it seems more likely this is the case.

People who misinterpret these things are either doing it on purpose because they're trying to escalate things (which is antifa's usual approach, they want to bait the police) or because they fill in the blanks of missing information with hyperbolic explanations. Kinda how some people see all sorts of grand conspiracies behind whatever the government is doing.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

More reports of looting. Time to start shooting?

https://www.propublica.org/article/this ... his-family
Sweden martinspjuth
Dragoon

Post by martinspjuth »

Planting bricks would not help in police work. But if the police (or members of the police) wanted to escalate things, planting bricks for rioters to use would make sense
I do find your explanation very reasonable, for police to take away bricks from the streets do make sense. I do not however see how you can know they are unloading in the back of a police station, at least I cannot see that on the video.
ESOC Business Team

Post by n0el »

@martinspjuth

examples of right wing instigators

mad cuz bad
ESOC Business Team

Post by n0el »

Police also shot and killed another black man at the Louisville protests, and guess what?? they all had their body cameras turned off. What a coincidence...

mad cuz bad
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

n0el wrote:

examples of right wing instigators
An easier example of right wing instigators is all the cops
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

martinspjuth wrote:Planting bricks would not help in police work. But if the police (or members of the police) wanted to escalate things, planting bricks for rioters to use would make sense
I do find your explanation very reasonable, for police to take away bricks from the streets do make sense. I do not however see how you can know they are unloading in the back of a police station, at least I cannot see that on the video.
It's in a back alley, why would the police unload bricks in such an isolated place, where there are no protesters and no open spaces where they could be used? What I don't get though is how did these two behind the camera manage to get there.
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

fightinfrenchman wrote:
n0el wrote: examples of right wing instigators
An easier example of right wing instigators is all the cops
Where is the deep state when you need it...
ESOC Business Team

Post by n0el »

On the surface
mad cuz bad
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

fightinfrenchman wrote:If you think the police are there to "control" the protests, then you should be very mad at them because they're doing a terrible job at that
I tried to explain to you that this is in part because this is a rather special occasion where the police needs to manage a riot that is targetted against them. Normally when they intervene it doesn't fuel the fire so much, but now any sort of police intervention is just going to make people extra angry. I feel like it is hardly possible to actually do a good job here.
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

n0el wrote:Police also shot and killed another black man at the Louisville protests, and guess what?? they all had their body cameras turned off. What a coincidence...

https://twitter.com/tejalrao/status/1267839764205457414
This should be put into context: USA Today reports this:
Police say that shortly after midnight Monday, someone shot at officers from a parking lot at 26th and Broadway where a large number of people were gathered. LMPD and National Guard troops returned fire, killing McAtee, who ran a popular barbecue stand nearby.

Police have said they don't know if McAtee was the person who had fired at police.
https://eu.usatoday.com/story/news/nati ... 316236002/

There doesn't seem to be any evidence he was specifically targeted. Though, it is weird that the police would simply return fire into a crowd from which fire came. Like what's the point if you don't know who is actually shooting.
ESOC Business Team

Post by n0el »

RefluxSemantic wrote:
fightinfrenchman wrote:If you think the police are there to "control" the protests, then you should be very mad at them because they're doing a terrible job at that
I tried to explain to you that this is in part because this is a rather special occasion where the police needs to manage a riot that is targetted against them. Normally when they intervene it doesn't fuel the fire so much, but now any sort of police intervention is just going to make people extra angry. I feel like it is hardly possible to actually do a good job here.
Well, i went to my local protest yesterday, and the police did a fine job. They had cars in front of and behind the protesters in the road to prevent any traffic issues, and didn't wear riot gear or take an aggressive response. The protest ended peacefully and is resuming today.
mad cuz bad