City of Atlantis found!

This is for discussions about news, politics, sports, other games, culture, philosophy etc.
No Flag howlingwolfpaw
Jaeger

City of Atlantis found!

Post by howlingwolfpaw »

Well nothing is definitive as it has not really ever been excavated and is located in a harsh and remote desert of Mauritania. But based on Platos explanation this is the best and likely site for the enigmatic ancient city once completely destroyed by a tsunami like event... For those aware of the eye of the Sahara this surely would help explain some of the mystery of what that site once was.

This guy was so convinced we actually went there!

Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Re: City of Atlantis found!

Post by gibson »

No
No Flag howlingwolfpaw
Jaeger

Post by howlingwolfpaw »

I doubt you watched it all, but care to explain why?
Vietnam duckzilla
Jaeger

Post by duckzilla »

Don't get me wrong, it would be nice if it were true.
But this is simply a wild theory without any actual proof. It seems to be some random Jimmy from youtube who was bored of making another conspiracy theory video.
Whatever is written above: this is no financial advice.

Beati pauperes spiritu.
No Flag howlingwolfpaw
Jaeger

Post by howlingwolfpaw »

If platos description is correct then I would be hard pressed to find another site anywhere that would match the description better than this site. Not much is going to remain from 9,000 years ago and liekly the best and heaviest stones sunk in the mud,

No one is going to be right on everything but Jimmy has one of the best channels for Ancient civilizations

more non-conclusive evidence of ancient foundations...

Vietnam duckzilla
Jaeger

Post by duckzilla »

The problem with Plato's description is that he writes it down around 400BC but states that Atlantis sank in 9600BC. He describes an event that did not just happen 9000 years before he was born, but which happened in a time that did not yield any significant findings for something close to being a city anywhere in the world. It is highly unlikely that Plato could have had any better knowledge on the existence of an Atlantis than we have today, given that his sources (looking 9k years into his past) are far worse than ours are today (looking 11k years into the past).

The problem is not really that not much remains after 9000 years (or 11600 years taking the current time). Archaelogical sites in the near east and Turkey or even Stonehenge show that there is a good probability to find at least something (e.g. Göbekli Tepe).

Beati pauperes spiritu.
No Flag howlingwolfpaw
Jaeger

Post by howlingwolfpaw »

I think that is why Platos story was discounted for so long, as myth just like the City of Troy. People back then told stories. And passed them down, the destruction of such a city would have had lasting impacts on generations of people once remembering its greatness.

Now we have found a site that actually matches his description

Gobekli tepe stands today because it is made of monolithic structures. Plano described it being simple and made of 3 color of stones, which locals still build like that today. A giant tsunami like event would have totally washed it all way and left piles of rubble like stone that is seen. Any monolithic stones would have sunk in the mud (as seen surrounding area) Its destruction might even have been a lesson to history to build with monolithic stones.
Also no one has really ever done any major excavation to this site

I do believe we have a pre-history full of mystery and ancient cultures of high technology. I have a hard time believing a tribe of nomadic wanders decided to build the city of Petra and instantly became monolithic builders. I think they found it and took it over. Same with the Giza Plateau... so much is being hidden to support the Biblical narrative that civilization started around 6-5000 b.c.
There are thousands of unexplained ruins and ancient site across the world to support this.
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

-- deleted post --

Reason: on request (off-topic bulk delete)
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/incog_aoe
Garja wrote:
20 Mar 2020, 21:46
I just hope DE is not going to implement all of the EP changes. Right now it is a big clusterfuck.
Austria knusch
Pro Player
EWTDonator 01

Post by knusch »

howlingwolfpaw wrote:so much is being hidden to support the Biblical narrative that civilization started around 6-5000 b.c.
biblical narrative refers to creation itself rather than occurrence civilization, i'd say. if this is the case generally science does a pretty bad job of protecting it.
Great Britain Riotcoke
Retired Contributor
ECL Reigning ChampsDonator 01
ESO: Riotcoke
Clan: UwU

Post by Riotcoke »

Way down below the ocean
Where I wanna be, she may be
Way down below the ocean
Way down below the ocean

twitch.tv/stangoesdeepTV
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

Most likely Plato's fiction.
No Flag howlingwolfpaw
Jaeger

Post by howlingwolfpaw »

I think people are so programmed to want to find mote pyramids or a giant star gate and monolithic type structures that something more simple and realistic would challenge that to want to prefer it to remain a mystery.
Great Britain Horsemen
Jaeger

Post by Horsemen »

VERY cool find!
Vietnam duckzilla
Jaeger

Post by duckzilla »

howlingwolfpaw wrote:I think that is why Platos story was discounted for so long, as myth just like the City of Troy. People back then told stories. And passed them down, the destruction of such a city would have had lasting impacts on generations of people once remembering its greatness.
The comparison to Troy is difficult. Firstly, Troy has never been consistently seen as a myth. Secondly, the modern dating of the Iliad taking place estimates the time period 1260–1180 BC. It is difficult to put a proper date to Homer writing the Iliad, but Herodotus placed Homer roughly 400 years before his own time, which results in the time around 850 BC. Hence, the Iliad can be considered a story on an event that happened ~400 years before the author's birth. To compare this with the 9,000 years between the end of Atlantis and the birth of Plato is ridiculous. Over the course of 9,000 years even things like language change dramatically.

It is extremely unlikely that a story with clear descriptions such as Plato's version of Atlantis can survive such a large time span. This is exacerbated by the question of how the information on Atlantis could have found its way to Greece in the first place. There is not much evidence for longer trade routes in 9,000 BC, which means that information travels very slowly with many intermediaries.

A further note is the lack of writing in 9,000 BC. The earliest known writing is from Mesopotamia (between 3400 and 3100 BC), again making a comparison between Homer's Iliad (there could have been pre-written versions!) with the myth of Atlantis fruitless.
howlingwolfpaw wrote:Now we have found a site that actually matches his description

Gobekli tepe stands today because it is made of monolithic structures. Plano described it being simple and made of 3 color of stones, which locals still build like that today. A giant tsunami like event would have totally washed it all way and left piles of rubble like stone that is seen. Any monolithic stones would have sunk in the mud (as seen surrounding area) Its destruction might even have been a lesson to history to build with monolithic stones.

I do believe we have a pre-history full of mystery and ancient cultures of high technology. I have a hard time believing a tribe of nomadic wanders decided to build the city of Petra and instantly became monolithic builders. I think they found it and took it over. Same with the Giza Plateau... so much is being hidden to support the Biblical narrative that civilization started around 6-5000 b.c.
There are thousands of unexplained ruins and ancient site across the world to support this.
You are free to belief whatever you want. But don't mix it up with science and archaeology. The City of Atlantis has not been found and is unlikely to exist. There is just a small-scale religion of people who believe that it exists.

However, there might still be a true core to the story of Atlantis. Just not what everyone might have in mind when reading Plato's descriptions. The general story of a city or region sinking due to rising sea levels, tsunamis and comparable events is widespread in the Mediterranean (Flood myth). The story of Atlantis could be another derivative of whatever has influence the biblical deluge myth. It could be a remnant of a potential deluge that (hypothetically) took place in the Black Sea when it (hypothetically) was not yet connected to the Mediterranean. It could also have to do with the Volcano eruption of Thera/Santorin in around 1600 BCE, which led to Tsunami waves all around the Mediterranean.

Beati pauperes spiritu.
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

Another possibility is that Plato heard some myths about a sunken region or settlement from ancient times, which had circular structures. Doggerland used to be a land bridge which connected Europe to the British isles more than 8000 years ago, until it was flooded and submerged under the water permanently.

It's a well-known fact that there are lots of circular structures from prehistoric times in the British isles (like the Stonehenge, but even older). There is a site in Aberdeen (Scotland) called Warren Field, that was built 8000 years ago, some kind of circular calendar made from pits in the ground that replicate the moon's phases.

The British isles have lots of such prehistoric circular structures and sites, some of them built many thousands of years before the first civilisations appeared in Mesopotamia. It is conceivable that some such circular structures also existed in the Doggerland region, which at some point was hit by tsunami waves and completely buried under water.

If a Greek geographer was able to write about Celts, who lived in current-day France, in the 5th century BCE, then ancient Greeks were able to find out about people and events from the other side of Europe. It is possible that if they found out about Celts, they could have also heard stories and myths from that area which back then were still recollecting the catastrophic flooding of Doggerland, what must have been one of the most shocking events that happened in prehistoric times.

Plato probably just drew on some ancient flood myth (like the Mesopotamian flood myth) and maybe some stories he heard about some civilisation from the other side of Europe, that used to build circular structures and was flooded and completely destroyed (inhabitants of Doggerland, some of whom survived and continued to build circular calendars and monuments, like the Stonehenge).
Denmark voigt1240
Lancer
ESO: voigt

Post by voigt1240 »

Atlantis was an inside job.
Great Britain Horsemen
Jaeger

Post by Horsemen »

duckzilla wrote:
howlingwolfpaw wrote:I think that is why Platos story was discounted for so long, as myth just like the City of Troy. People back then told stories. And passed them down, the destruction of such a city would have had lasting impacts on generations of people once remembering its greatness.
The comparison to Troy is difficult. Firstly, Troy has never been consistently seen as a myth. Secondly, the modern dating of the Iliad taking place estimates the time period 1260–1180 BC. It is difficult to put a proper date to Homer writing the Iliad, but Herodotus placed Homer roughly 400 years before his own time, which results in the time around 850 BC. Hence, the Iliad can be considered a story on an event that happened ~400 years before the author's birth. To compare this with the 9,000 years between the end of Atlantis and the birth of Plato is ridiculous. Over the course of 9,000 years even things like language change dramatically.

It is extremely unlikely that a story with clear descriptions such as Plato's version of Atlantis can survive such a large time span. This is exacerbated by the question of how the information on Atlantis could have found its way to Greece in the first place. There is not much evidence for longer trade routes in 9,000 BC, which means that information travels very slowly with many intermediaries.

A further note is the lack of writing in 9,000 BC. The earliest known writing is from Mesopotamia (between 3400 and 3100 BC), again making a comparison between Homer's Iliad (there could have been pre-written versions!) with the myth of Atlantis fruitless.
howlingwolfpaw wrote:Now we have found a site that actually matches his description

You are free to belief whatever you want. But don't mix it up with science and archaeology. The City of Atlantis has not been found and is unlikely to exist. There is just a small-scale religion of people who believe that it exists.

However, there might still be a true core to the story of Atlantis. Just not what everyone might have in mind when reading Plato's descriptions. The general story of a city or region sinking due to rising sea levels, tsunamis and comparable events is widespread in the Mediterranean (Flood myth). The story of Atlantis could be another derivative of whatever has influence the biblical deluge myth. It could be a remnant of a potential deluge that (hypothetically) took place in the Black Sea when it (hypothetically) was not yet connected to the Mediterranean. It could also have to do with the Volcano eruption of Thera/Santorin in around 1600 BCE, which led to Tsunami waves all around the Mediterranean.
Atlantis is real. FACT.
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

Epstein had an island in Atlantis. They had to sink it, too many elite boomers involved in secret blood-gurgling rituals.