On the subject of race

This is for discussions about news, politics, sports, other games, culture, philosophy etc.
United States of America vardar
Lancer
ESO: VardarB98/DemonDeacs

Re: ESOC and Racism

Post by vardar »

I haven’t even read the thread that this all started in but I’m not sure if ones nationality (guessing Pakistani?) is a race and telling one to go back to their country is particularly racist. Quite rude, but racist? Idk... I’d have to read the thread

From what I’ve read before in good ol ivans posts, he sounds like a rather unpleasant person in general.

I’ll read the thread sometime later today if it’s still around.
c0ns!
United States of America 007Salt
Dragoon

Post by 007Salt »

Just tell the offender to fuck off and die of cancer. This seems like the most rational solution to the problem.
Lancer

Post by vardar »

007Salt wrote:Just tell the offender to fuck off and die of cancer. This seems like the most rational solution to the problem.
Really gets nowhere and probably makes him even more resentful/hateful. There’s better ways to go around it.

Also, cancer is not something to joke about like that. Really no different than telling someone to go kill themselves. Let’s be productive
c0ns!
Great Britain chris1089
Retired Contributor
ESO: chris1089

Post by chris1089 »

Conservative estimates would be 60 million died due to Mao and 40 million due to stalin/lenin. Makes Hitler look mild.
No Flag JaguarProwlerKnoob
Musketeer
ESO: JaimePasTaFace

Post by JaguarProwlerKnoob »

chris1089 wrote:Conservative estimates would be 60 million died due to Mao and 40 million due to stalin/lenin. Makes Hitler look mild.
One major reason the soviets don't get as bad a repuation as the Nazis is because they helped the Allies defeat Hitler.
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

JaguarProwlerKnoob wrote:I leave you with the wise words of Dietrich Bonhoeffer @gibson @fightinfrenchman @iNcog @comradecommissar - “Stupidity is a more dangerous enemy of the good than malice. One may protest against evil; it can be exposed and, if need be, prevented by use of force. Evil always carries within itself the germ of its own subversion in that it leaves behind in human beings at least a sense of unease. Against stupidity we are defenseless. Neither protests nor the use of force accomplish anything here; reasons fall on deaf ears; facts that contradict one’s prejudgment simply need not be believed – in such moments the stupid person even becomes critical – and when facts are irrefutable they are just pushed aside as inconsequential, as incidental. In all this the stupid person, in contrast to the malicious one, is utterly self satisfied and, being easily irritated, becomes dangerous by going on the attack. For that reason, greater caution is called for when dealing with a stupid person than with a malicious one. Never again will we try to persuade the stupid person with reasons, for it is senseless and dangerous.”
United States of America Cometk
Retired Contributor

Post by Cometk »

vardar wrote:I haven’t even read the thread that this all started in but I’m not sure if telling one to go back to their country is particularly racist. Quite rude, but racist? Idk... I’d have to read the thread
how could it not be racist? it is most often said in response to delegitimize someone's grievances with racism etc.
Lancer

Post by vardar »

Cometk wrote:
vardar wrote:I haven’t even read the thread that this all started in but I’m not sure if telling one to go back to their country is particularly racist. Quite rude, but racist? Idk... I’d have to read the thread
how could it not be racist? it is most often said in response to delegitimize someone's grievances with racism etc.
Because being from Pakistan isn’t a race. It’s being insensitive to ones nationality, ya. I def think it’s wrong to call someone a Paki, like cmon, you know what you’re doing saying that. He doesn’t deserve to be called that, it’s belittling.

Same with “japs” and sometimes I see people call Americans “mericans” to point fun at your stereotypical redneck or of the like.

Honestly I really agree with you, the subtle difference doesn’t matter. Either way it’s wrong to say things like that, so I concede. He was stupid for saying that. If he wants to be taken serious he should use more respectful words
c0ns!
Canada Mitoe
Advanced Theory Craftsman
ESO: Mitoe
GameRanger ID: 346407

Post by Mitoe »

Starting to feel like this thread should be locked
No Flag Astaroth
Howdah

Post by Astaroth »

I always wonder where people get the time and energy from to discuss stuff like this on a gaming forum on the internet (it's not like this is a politics forum where people are really interested and provide lots of thought provoking, in-depth answers).

I realize I'm posting here, too, but this is just a short throw-away post in 30 secs anyway.
Great Britain Riotcoke
Retired Contributor
ECL Reigning ChampsDonator 01
ESO: Riotcoke
Clan: UwU

Post by Riotcoke »

Because people like to feel superior about their political opinions, when in fact they don't matter in the slightest.

twitch.tv/stangoesdeepTV
India rsy
Jaeger
Donator 01

Post by rsy »

SoldieR wrote:The handful of you guys really need to exchange phone numbers and discuss this.
This. Please.
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

Riotcoke wrote:Because people like to feel superior about their political opinions, when in fact they don't matter in the slightest.
!vitamins
Ireland Snow Lynx
Musketeer

Post by Snow Lynx »

Santa: Well what gift do you want?
Me: A dragon
Santa: don’t be silly dragons don’t exist
Me: Okay then, an ESOC forum that just talks about AOE
Santa: what colour of dragon do you want
How do you write a signature?
United States of America fedjahnson
Skirmisher
ESO: gewitter_

Post by fedjahnson »

The earth is hollow-Sircallen
United States of America 007Salt
Dragoon

Post by 007Salt »

vardar wrote:
007Salt wrote:Just tell the offender to fuck off and die of cancer. This seems like the most rational solution to the problem.
Really gets nowhere and probably makes him even more resentful/hateful. There’s better ways to go around it.

Also, cancer is not something to joke about like that. Really no different than telling someone to go kill themselves. Let’s be productive
rofl you gotta learn how to laugh at life

France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

-- deleted post --

Reason: on request (off-topic bulk delete)
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/incog_aoe
Garja wrote:
20 Mar 2020, 21:46
I just hope DE is not going to implement all of the EP changes. Right now it is a big clusterfuck.
France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold
ESO: diarouga

Post by [Armag] diarouga »

iNcog wrote:
rsy wrote:
SoldieR wrote:The handful of you guys really need to exchange phone numbers and discuss this.
This. Please.
It's sort of like being a dick to someone in what is considered to be a legitimate issue these days and asking them to take it on the chin. I don't agree.

ESOC is a platform where REAL people gather and we have a genuine social connection with one another. In my social circles I don't want racism nor do I want my peers to be subject to that. It's not hard.

This thread is important because it's an important topic. idk what else to say
Idfk if it's that important tbh. I'm not going to convince comrad that the shitstorm, although it was offensive, was mostly a consquence of his previous messages and he's not going to convince me that the community is racist, and even less that removing the mining mechanic is a good idea.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Post by fightinfrenchman »

[Armag] diarouga wrote:even less that removing the mining mechanic is a good idea.
This has nothing to do with racism. Why do people keep saying this
Dromedary Scone Mix is not Alone Mix
France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold

fightinfrenchman wrote:
[Armag] diarouga wrote:even less that removing the mining mechanic is a good idea.
Because that's how all of this started ? With some people like me saying that it is a bad change, and some others (like comrad), claiming that we have to pay respect to the natives because there is too much racism.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

[Armag] diarouga wrote:
fightinfrenchman wrote:
Because that's how all of this started ? With some people like me saying that it is a bad change, and some others (like comrad), claiming that we have to pay respect to the natives because there is too much racism.
The developers didn't say anything about racism. And do you even know how the change actually works
France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold

fightinfrenchman wrote:
[Armag] diarouga wrote:
Show hidden quotes
The developers didn't say anything about racism. And do you even know how the change actually works
I'm not talking about DE here, I'm talking about ESOC and this thread. And you can easily see the link between mining and the "racism" drama.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

[Armag] diarouga wrote:
fightinfrenchman wrote:
Show hidden quotes
I'm not talking about DE here, I'm talking about ESOC and this thread. And you can easily see the link between mining and the "racism" drama.
The link is that, after the devs said they wanted to be more historically accurate, people on here starting complaining that the changes were political, then everyone got pissed. For some reason this lie just keeps getting repeated and believed
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

-- deleted post --

Reason: on request (off-topic bulk delete)
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/incog_aoe
Garja wrote:
20 Mar 2020, 21:46
I just hope DE is not going to implement all of the EP changes. Right now it is a big clusterfuck.
France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold

fightinfrenchman wrote:
[Armag] diarouga wrote:
Show hidden quotes
The link is that, after the devs said they wanted to be more historically accurate, people on here starting complaining that the changes were political, then everyone got pissed. For some reason this lie just keeps getting repeated and believed
What makes you think it's a lie ?