On the subject of race

This is for discussions about news, politics, sports, other games, culture, philosophy etc.
Denmark voigt1240
Lancer
ESO: voigt

Re: ESOC and Racism

Post by voigt1240 »

God and every duck under the sky is a racist according to you, i don' get it. How is comrades last comment any better than the french guys comment?
France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold
ESO: diarouga

Post by [Armag] diarouga »

iNcog wrote:
[Armag] diarouga wrote:
welcome to real life
This is an aoe3 forum.
This coming from someone who went to and won the last LAN. lol. I'll leave it at that.
Yes, what ?
I went to the last LAN to compete in a major aoe3 tournament, and although I'm less talented than the other top players, I practiced hard, prepared strategies and played my best.
I didn't go to the LAN to hear about victims of racism.
France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold

iNcog wrote:
[Armag] diarouga wrote:I don't want to hear people complain about being the victim of racism.
tl,dr diarouga is racist.
That doesn't make sense.
If you don't want to hear about battered women, does it mean that you beat your wife ?
If you don't want to hear about victims of violence in the street, does it mean that you kill people in the street ?
If you don't want to watch a movie about jew extermination, does it mean you're nazi ?
I'm tired with your sophisms.
Netherlands don_artie
Dragoon
ESO: don artie

Post by don_artie »

next time there is a major tournament please let me know, i'm basically always 29-31 pr so I fit right in
Holy See Imperial Noob
Lancer

Post by Imperial Noob »

comradecommissar wrote:@iNcog I was just going to tell you to give up. Explaining racism to people here is kind of pointless. White people don't get it. Thats it. I stand by that.
Imagine this: an eastern European works in customer service in western Europe, and is asked by a customer face to face what is he doing there and why did he come to this country at all. "Are there no jobs in your country?"

Personal experience.

On a theoretical level, do you wish to discuss models of racism perhaps? Be my guest. I had them as a topic in a university psychology class.

Next time don't cry wolf when you yourself are one. And ask admins to change your nick into one that is not offensive. Otherwise you are full of shit.
United States of America Cometk
Retired Contributor

Post by Cometk »

don_artie wrote:next time there is a major tournament please let me know, i'm basically always 29-31 pr so I fit right in
there's an event specifically for Captains and Majors that just finished, there should be another iteration hosted soon. might be just what you're looking for! :smile:
Sweden Hawk_Girl
Dragoon
Donator 01

Post by Hawk_Girl »

Everyone here just wants to solidify their own sides and their own pre-held opinions. Some of you say how impossible it is for a white person to understand the experiences of a non-white person. And some other persons say how stupid the other group is for saying that, while at the same time claiming it's not personal for them while obviously being offended.

Neither one here seems to be interested in actually having a conversation where you listen to each other and actually learn from each other. And even if there were people interested in that, doing so over a forum like this isn't the best media to do so.
United States of America 007Salt
Dragoon

Post by 007Salt »

@Diarouga It's only okay to be racist towards your own race so lets hear some French people jokes.

Whiteflagger is one of my favorite ones

http://www.rsdb.org/race/french
Netherlands Mr_Bramboy
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: [VOC] Bram

Post by Mr_Bramboy »

007Salt wrote:
[Armag] diarouga wrote:
[Armag] diarouga wrote:As I've explained previously, Ivan's reaction was wrong, but Comrade asked for trouble by being extremely agressive and taking real life examples on the internet.
But the Dutchie explained better than me why his behaviour is inappropriate.
I hope Dutch people don't feel offended because I called the Dutch guy a Dutchie btw.
The correct term for dutch people is "wooden shoe"
It’s actually swamp germans.
Denmark voigt1240
Lancer

Post by voigt1240 »

Agreed we Are All idiots here Who Are biased. We ought to be more openminded as you point out and put emotions aside, this discussion is neither insightful or helpful in the slightest. The thing that tips over my chimney is when People resort to name calling and are convinced only one side is completely right in said argument.
France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold

007Salt wrote:@Diarouga It's only okay to be racist towards your own race so lets hear some French people jokes.

Whiteflagger is one of my favorite ones

http://www.rsdb.org/race/french
I didn't know about 60% of these xD.
Netherlands don_artie
Dragoon
ESO: don artie

Post by don_artie »

Cometk wrote:
don_artie wrote:next time there is a major tournament please let me know, i'm basically always 29-31 pr so I fit right in
there's an event specifically for Captains and Majors that just finished, there should be another iteration hosted soon. might be just what you're looking for! :smile:
haha thanks for letting me know, but i'm a terrible 1v1 player. it was meant to be a wordplay joke with the 'major'
Finland princeofkabul
Pro Player
NWC LAN Top 8EPL Reigning Champs
ESO: Princeofkabul

Post by princeofkabul »

I think don_artie's post was spot on.
Chairman of Washed Up clan
Leader of the Shady Swedes
Team Manager of the Blockhouse Boomers
Austria knusch
Pro Player
EWTDonator 01

Post by knusch »

Hawk_Girl wrote:Neither one here seems to be interested in actually having a conversation where you listen to each other and actually learn from each other.
i'd be curious how you'd go about it? coz as far as i can tell there is literally no point to...

person a: u are racist
person b: i am not because...
person a: u dont know what racism is because you r white. than claim some monopoly on truth since it reflects personal experience. denying or marginalizing my voice is part of racism blablabla you part of the problem blablabla do better!

it is always the same circular argument again and again. no point in arguing anything the same way one shouldnt argue with religious ppl about god.
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

Its funny that youre doing the exact same thing Hawk girl is talking about here xD
Austria knusch
Pro Player
EWTDonator 01

Post by knusch »

gibson wrote:Its funny that youre doing the exact same thing Hawk girl is talking about here xD
i asked how hawk would go about it and shared how i see these convos going every single time.

glad you found something funny tho
Sweden Hawk_Girl
Dragoon
Donator 01

Post by Hawk_Girl »

knusch wrote:
Hawk_Girl wrote:Neither one here seems to be interested in actually having a conversation where you listen to each other and actually learn from each other.
i'd be curious how you'd go about it? coz as far as i can tell there is literally no point to...

person a: u dont know what racism is because you r white. than claim some monopoly on truth since it reflects personal experience. denying or marginalizing my voice is part of racism blablabla you part of the problem blablabla do better!

it is always the same circular argument again and again. no point in arguing anything the same way one shouldnt argue with religious ppl about god.
Well for example if someone tell you that you are racist, then if you answer "i am not because..." you already lost the opportunity to have a conversation about it. You should answer something like "oh really, i wouldn't consider myself racist, how come you say that? maybe I missed something". The first answer creates polarization and the second starts a conversation. It's hard though, since what it takes is to control your ego which most people don't do.

But either way I still think online over a forum is a hard place to have these conversations.
United States of America 007Salt
Dragoon

Post by 007Salt »

Austria knusch
Pro Player
EWTDonator 01

Post by knusch »

Hawk_Girl wrote:
knusch wrote:

Well for example if someone tell you that you are racist, then if you answer "i am not because..." you already lost the opportunity to have a conversation about it. You should answer something like "oh really, i wouldn't consider myself racist, how come you say that? maybe I missed something". The first answer creates polarization and the second starts a conversation. It's hard though, since what it takes is to control your ego which most people don't do.

But either way I still think online over a forum is a hard place to have these conversations.
indeed a more polite and curious entry and yet if u disagree u gonna end up exactly at the same place ;)
France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold

Well for example if someone tell you that you are racist, then if you answer "i am not because..." you already lost the opportunity to have a conversation about it.
I don't want to have a conversation about it. Calling someone racist is insulting and an attack to his honor, and I'm not interested in discussing with someone who insults me, I want to defend myself.
You should answer something like "oh really, i wouldn't consider myself racist, how come you say that? maybe I missed something".
Double standard again. Would you say to comrade that he needs to answer "oh really, do you think I'm a dick and I should go back to my country, how come you say that ? Maybe I missed something" when he gets flamed by Ivan ?
Obviously not, so why am I supposed to answer nicely when I'm insulted ?
It's hard though, since what it takes is to control your ego which most people don't do.
Again, you could reverse the argument and say that to someone who's really victim of racism. "I understand it's hard, but just control your ego.".
I guess you simply don't understand that getting called racist is an insult.
Finland fungu
Musketeer
ESO: vati

Post by fungu »

comradecommissar wrote:@iNcog I was just going to tell you to give up. Explaining racism to people here is kind of pointless. White people don't get it. Thats it. I stand by that.
A group of African immigrants once shouted at me when I was passing by "Oooo, vampire, please don't suck my blood" because of my mid-winter, pale Finnish skin.

I really urge you to consider your views on this matter. Black people are people, brown people are people and people occasionally do shitty things to other people.
Denmark voigt1240
Lancer

Post by voigt1240 »

Perkele
Canada dansil92
Retired Contributor
ESO: dansil92

Post by dansil92 »

Like all discussions on racism it always devolves into "all white people are racist" or "it doesnt count as racist when i make blanket statements about everyone with a certain amount of melanin in their skin"
Good to see the topic go from specific discussion on real issues to namecalling, strawman arguments and changing definitions of words to exclude their own identical behavior
United States of America n0el
ESOC Business Team
ESO: jezabob
Clan: 팀 하우스

Post by n0el »

It always was bound to, which is why it shouldn’t ever be discussed
mad cuz bad
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

-- deleted post --

Reason: on request (off-topic bulk delete)
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/incog_aoe
Garja wrote:
20 Mar 2020, 21:46
I just hope DE is not going to implement all of the EP changes. Right now it is a big clusterfuck.