Official F1 thread

This is for discussions about news, politics, sports, other games, culture, philosophy etc.
Greece BrookG
Retired Contributor
ESO: BrookG

Official F1 thread

Post by BrookG »

It's about time we had an F1 (or motorsport related) thread. Needless to say, we are having a blast this year. Definitely worth the delayed start of the season. Three italian Grand Prix!!!! And the last couple of races were AMAZING!

I want to see who are your favourite drivers, my top 3 are Leclerc, Norris and Ricciardo.
Correlation doesn't mean causation.
http://www.tylervigen.com/spurious-correlations

"mr.brookg go buy jeans and goto the club with somppuli" - Princeofkabul, July 2018
Great Britain oats13
Lancer

Re: Official F1 thread

Post by oats13 »

Seems like no-one can touch Hamilton but watching the battles for the other podium spots has been good.

Most entertaining drivers IMO- Hamilton, Verstappen, Le Clerc.
We hold these truths to be self-evident. All men and women created by the you know, you know the thing.
Australia wardyb1
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: wardyb1

Post by wardyb1 »

Ahh good thread time. Verstappen, Ricciardo (gotta support by fellow countryman, helps he is a bloody legend too), and Russell. In all honesty though, all the young ones are bringing a lot to the sport with great social media presences and heaps of personality.
Both Italian races have been brilliant so far. Love seeing new tracks or old tracks reintroduced.
Bit disappointed the 2021 regulation changes have been pushed to 2022 because they are desperately needed but it is understandable. Also really looking forward to the spending caps to be introduced because Mercedes is the biggest bore-fest in existence. Wouldn't be so bad if Bottas could compete/was allowed to compete with Hamilton but it really shouldn't be necessary to rely on Max to have a competitive race.
“To love the journey is to accept no such end. I have found, through painful experience, that the most important step a person can take is always the next one.”
Greece BrookG
Retired Contributor

Post by BrookG »

The new gen of drivers is really talented. Same feeling about new rules. #pray4ferrari I was so sad see the car being unable to keep up with the speed/strength of others on a straight line. At least Leclerc is fighting to catch up to that, Vettel feels like he gave up long ago.

"mr.brookg go buy jeans and goto the club with somppuli" - Princeofkabul, July 2018
Australia wardyb1
Retired Contributor
Donator 01

Post by wardyb1 »

Yeah kinda wish Ferrari were still allowed to cheat until the new regulations just so we got something competitive. Obviously can't be done, but as a fan of "racing" it would be nice.
“To love the journey is to accept no such end. I have found, through painful experience, that the most important step a person can take is always the next one.”
Great Britain Riotcoke
Retired Contributor
ECL Reigning ChampsDonator 01
ESO: Riotcoke
Clan: UwU

Post by Riotcoke »

Mercedes honestly makes it dull

twitch.tv/stangoesdeepTV
Germany aligator92
Howdah
ESO: aligator92

Post by aligator92 »

My favourites would be Ricciardo (duh), Verstappen (for being a breeze of fresh air and the only one to challenge the mercs) and Albon (not sure why, but I just really like him)

What about last favourite though? Magnussen for being a maniac, Grosjean for stealing a seat from more talented people and well Hamilton for being too dominant and feeling like this overproduced robot with no genuine emotions
Netherlands Mr_Bramboy
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: [VOC] Bram

Post by Mr_Bramboy »

cars go vrrrrrrrrr
United States of America n0el
ESOC Business Team
ESO: jezabob
Clan: 팀 하우스

Post by n0el »

race cars only go around a track and turn left, everyone knows that
mad cuz bad
Germany aligator92
Howdah

Post by aligator92 »

n0el wrote:race cars only go around a track and turn left, everyone knows that
Couldn't they at least make them go clockwise on one of these?
Greece BrookG
Retired Contributor

Post by BrookG »

There was a discussion of doing Monza backwards

India Ashvin
Retired Contributor
ESO: Octanium

Post by Ashvin »

Only a fan of engines, not the actual races. I wanna start following F1 but I'm too lazy.
United States of America n0el
ESOC Business Team
ESO: jezabob
Clan: 팀 하우스

Post by n0el »

I can only manage 1 Euro sport at a time, and its difficult to do that when the two i care about are happening simultaneously
mad cuz bad
Germany aligator92
Howdah

Post by aligator92 »

Ashvin wrote:Only a fan of engines, not the actual races. I wanna start following F1 but I'm too lazy.
If you have no real attachment to the current F1 drivers, I recommend you to actually watch F2 instead of F1 because everybody has the same car and there is much more on track competition. If you subscribe to the FORMULA 1 youtube channel, you can watch all F2 races.
Netherlands Mr_Bramboy
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: [VOC] Bram

Post by Mr_Bramboy »

this is now also the official f1 memesh thread
Australia wardyb1
Retired Contributor
Donator 01

Post by wardyb1 »

aligator92 wrote:
Ashvin wrote:Only a fan of engines, not the actual races. I wanna start following F1 but I'm too lazy.
If you have no real attachment to the current F1 drivers, I recommend you to actually watch F2 instead of F1 because everybody has the same car and there is much more on track competition. If you subscribe to the FORMULA 1 youtube channel, you can watch all F2 races.
Probably even the Formula 3 is better again to jump into. They have absolutely no fear in flinging those things into each other. You get way more action in the F2 and F3 series, just with a bit less of the flashiness.
Great Britain chris1089
Retired Contributor
ESO: chris1089

Post by chris1089 »

Could someone explain how it is possible for someone to overtake around the outside of a bend with the same car as the other team?
Australia wardyb1
Retired Contributor
Donator 01

Post by wardyb1 »

chris1089 wrote:Could someone explain how it is possible for someone to overtake around the outside of a bend with the same car as the other team?
Depends on the situation really. Is this in reference to a few of the overtakes at turn 1 in Mugello?
Great Britain chris1089
Retired Contributor

Post by chris1089 »

It's a reference to this @wardyb1
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

I bought a steering wheel for use with Dirt Rally 2 recently and am considering trying circuit racing games as well. Does anyone play F1 games and would they recommend? (I don't follow the sport irl)
Great Britain chris1089
Retired Contributor

Post by chris1089 »

Goodspeed wrote:I bought a steering wheel for use with Dirt Rally 2 recently and am considering trying circuit racing games as well. Does anyone play F1 games and would they recommend?
Not a racing game so you wouldn't use your wheel but I am enjoying Motorsport manager.
Australia wardyb1
Retired Contributor
Donator 01

Post by wardyb1 »

Goodspeed wrote:I bought a steering wheel for use with Dirt Rally 2 recently and am considering trying circuit racing games as well. Does anyone play F1 games and would they recommend? (I don't follow the sport irl)
Yeah F1 games are pretty good imo. Got the new one and its been pretty fun.
Australia wardyb1
Retired Contributor
Donator 01

Post by wardyb1 »

chris1089 wrote:Could someone explain how it is possible for someone to overtake around the outside of a bend with the same car as the other team?
Ok, so there are a couple of key things with what's happening there at Turn 1 Mugello. They are coming off an extremely long straight where being behind someone can result in up to a 20km/h speed advantage at the end of the straight because the front car is punching a massive hole in the air, resulting in much less drag on the 2nd car. They also know that by being on the outside of turn 1 means you will be on the inside of turn 2, so all you've got to do is pull level with the car you are overtaking to actually win the position. This results in cars being able to carry that 20km/h speed difference into turn 1, brake later (as the outside of the corner is obviously longer than the inside), carry the speed through the corner and win the position by turn 2.

The other key note and special thing with turn 1 at Mugello is there is a camber to the corner which allows cars to do what they are doing much more efficiently than they would on a flat track. You'll note that even the inside car isn't normally hitting the inside curbing/apex of the corner because the camber means a slightly deeper, wider line is quicker.
Germany aligator92
Howdah

Post by aligator92 »

speaking of memes. Dou you guys follow Sim Dane's channel? His stuff is brilliant. Sample:
Australia wardyb1
Retired Contributor
Donator 01

Post by wardyb1 »

Get ready to tune in for probably the only exciting part of the race, the start. Lights out in 5min