Sim racing

This is for discussions about news, politics, sports, other games, culture, philosophy etc.
Italy MaxMagous
Skirmisher
ESO: MaxMagous

Re: Sim racing

Post by MaxMagous »

I own a Logitech G29 set. At some point I was getting kinda competitive at gt sport, really looking forward to gt7.
If it's for you, sim racing can be extremely fun and totally worth the investment on the setup. Honestly, not even comparable with the controller experience
look wrote:
01 Jul 2022, 08:55
Kaiserklein wrote:
01 Jul 2022, 07:42
Well nvm, none of these dates work for me
who care? unfortunately, one must decide to be an aoe3 pro or not
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

MaxMagous wrote:I own a Logitech G29 set. At some point I was getting kinda competitive at gt sport, really looking forward to gt7.
If it's for you, sim racing can be extremely fun and totally worth the investment on the setup. Honestly, not even comparable with the controller experience
Why the focus on specifically Gran Turismo?
Italy MaxMagous
Skirmisher
ESO: MaxMagous

Post by MaxMagous »

I've grown super super fond of it, started from the OG GT on ps1 when I was like 4, then GT4 is one of my favourite games of all time and all the way through ps3 and ps4 I've never missed out on a title, despite arguably a drop in quality. I don't necessarily think it's the best sim racing game out there but for a number of reasons I think it's the one that suits me the most. It's kind of the best compromise overall between quantity/quality aswell as the right balance between casual gaming experience and hardcore e-sport-like sim.
Doesn't mean I won't pick up a different franchise at some point in the future, but I consider (sim) racing more of a side itch so one is kind of enough
look wrote:
01 Jul 2022, 08:55
Kaiserklein wrote:
01 Jul 2022, 07:42
Well nvm, none of these dates work for me
who care? unfortunately, one must decide to be an aoe3 pro or not
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

Fair enough. I've played most of the Dirt series, most of which is pretty arcady, and had a lot of fun with it over the years
Netherlands Mr_Bramboy
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: [VOC] Bram

Post by Mr_Bramboy »

I think I'll skip for now. I play racing games casually and I'm pretty okay on a controller as it stands. I would just be sticking to F1 2020 anyway and although a wheel sounds fun it doesn't seem worth the money.
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

:hmm: That game is unplayable without a wheel imo. I guess you have to play with ABS and TC enabled? Would take all the fun out of it for me
Netherlands Mr_Bramboy
Retired Contributor
Donator 01

Post by Mr_Bramboy »

I play without any assists. The controller is hard to get used to but you have control in the amount you move the control stick to steer more accurately and how hard you press the trigger to control the throttle. I always used a controller so I just learned it over time I suppose.
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

I feel like no wheel kinda defeats the point
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

Mr_Bramboy wrote:I play without any assists. The controller is hard to get used to but you have control in the amount you move the control stick to steer more accurately and how hard you press the trigger to control the throttle. I always used a controller so I just learned it over time I suppose.
Hmm yeah it's technically analog so with enough practice you could get used to it. I guess it would be very hard to be fast though. Would still not be fun for me but you do you
Netherlands Mr_Bramboy
Retired Contributor
Donator 01

Post by Mr_Bramboy »

So I decided I want to buy a wheel after all and I have my sights on the Thrustmaster TMX Pro, but it's literally sold out everywhere online. Coolblue, Amazon (NL/DE), Mediamarkt, etc etc. Did everyone get a sim racing wheel for Christmas?
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

Mr_Bramboy wrote:So I decided I want to buy a wheel after all and I have my sights on the Thrustmaster TMX Pro, but it's literally sold out everywhere online. Coolblue, Amazon (NL/DE), Mediamarkt, etc etc. Did everyone get a sim racing wheel for Christmas?
It's the Max Verstappen effect
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

Lol that and covid I guess.
I do see a lot of Dutch people on iRacing
Netherlands edeholland
ESOC Community Team
Donator 01
ESO: edeholland
GameRanger ID: 4053888
Clan: ESOC

Post by edeholland »

Mr_Bramboy wrote:So I decided I want to buy a wheel after all and I have my sights on the Thrustmaster TMX Pro, but it's literally sold out everywhere online. Coolblue, Amazon (NL/DE), Mediamarkt, etc etc. Did everyone get a sim racing wheel for Christmas?
https://www.alternate.nl/html/product/1 ... rm=1324602
Netherlands Mr_Bramboy
Retired Contributor
Donator 01

Post by Mr_Bramboy »

edeholland wrote:
https://www.alternate.nl/html/product/1 ... rm=1324602
That one doesn't have it either though, it says they'll have it in stock in two days after ordering. Which I doubt, since no store has it in stock at the moment. I guess it's a good alternative since they claim two days and no other stores have an ETA, so thanks for that.

edit: nevermind, as expected their terms of services state that the (in this case) two days can be ignored under any circumstances :)
Latvia harcha
Gendarme
ESO: hatamoto_samurai

Post by harcha »

That's the case with most stores though... (talking about estimates being non-binding)

Lately I've had good experiences with their estimates, it's mostly about finding an online store whose estimates you can trust.

But that one time when I was looking for something that was sold out everywhere, the only 2 places that had optimistic estimates were bullshitting.
POC wrote:Also I most likely know a whole lot more than you.
POC wrote:Also as an objective third party, and near 100% accuracy of giving correct information, I would say my opinions are more reliable than yours.
Netherlands Mr_Bramboy
Retired Contributor
Donator 01

Post by Mr_Bramboy »

harcha wrote:That's the case with most stores though... (talking about estimates being non-binding)
Sure, but in this case the estimate is less reliable since the product has vanished into thin air :hmm: I ordered it anyway, we'll see what happens. No physical big electronics store has it in stock either lol.
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

Mr_Bramboy wrote:
13 Jan 2022, 10:01
harcha wrote:That's the case with most stores though... (talking about estimates being non-binding)
Sure, but in this case the estimate is less reliable since the product has vanished into thin air :hmm: I ordered it anyway, we'll see what happens. No physical big electronics store has it in stock either lol.
How did this go
Latvia harcha
Gendarme
ESO: hatamoto_samurai

Post by harcha »

I see people trying to sell their used G29s on facebook marketplace for 75%-95% of the price.
POC wrote:Also I most likely know a whole lot more than you.
POC wrote:Also as an objective third party, and near 100% accuracy of giving correct information, I would say my opinions are more reliable than yours.
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Pezet

Post by pecelot »

I got into F1 and it's sort of my obsession to one day experience the feeling of driving an F1 car, which the F1 games are probably closest to
but I'm not sure I want to fulfil it, maybe it should wait
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

pecelot wrote:
17 Feb 2022, 20:23
I got into F1 and it's sort of my obsession to one day experience the feeling of driving an F1 car, which the F1 games are probably closest to
Other games come closer for sure but you can't replicate g-forces in a sim. If you really want to experience that, best get filthy rich
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Post by fightinfrenchman »

I'm sure there are places where you can pay to experience it without actually being a racer
Dromedary Scone Mix is not Alone Mix
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Pezet

Post by pecelot »

pressure overload is the least of my concerns; I guess I'd just like to race from the comfort of my home sort of in real time — a 90-minute endeavour with all its ups and downs, but yeah, I probably shouldn't commit money and above all time to achieve it just now; and perhaps it's indeed more advisable to start with sim racing games that are less expensive
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

fightinfrenchman wrote:
17 Feb 2022, 21:06
I'm sure there are places where you can pay to experience it without actually being a racer
You can drive older cars for a few minutes for like 10k I think. But I doubt just anyone can sign up for that. It's a single-seat car so there's no space for a co-driver. These cars are very fast and easy to crash. It would be like letting someone fly a plane for the first time, alone. Surely you'd need some experience driving other fast cars around a circuit.
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

pecelot wrote:
17 Feb 2022, 20:23
but I'm not sure I want to fulfil it, maybe it should wait
You can go to a karting club
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

pecelot wrote:
18 Feb 2022, 09:01
pressure overload is the least of my concerns; I guess I'd just like to race from the comfort of my home sort of in real time — a 90-minute endeavour with all its ups and downs, but yeah, I probably shouldn't commit money and above all time to achieve it just now; and perhaps it's indeed more advisable to start with sim racing games that are less expensive
The main expense would be the wheel anyway, so I wouldn't worry about game prices unless it's IRacing. Which game to get depends on what you're looking for:
- F1 2021 for the single player career mode ($$)
- Modded assetto corsa for realistic driving without it costing too much ($)
- IRacing for realistic driving and good multiplayer racing ($$$)

With the caveat that for IRacing multiplayer you won't be able to participate in the F1 series unless you're in the highest safety rating category (A license), which may take some time to get to (it doesn't have to if you're clean) and you will have to do so driving slower cars. MP in the official games is a cesspool.