Warning to twitch streamers.

This is for discussions about news, politics, sports, other games, culture, philosophy etc.
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Warning to twitch streamers.

Post by gibson »

Received this today. If you care about not getting banned I would recommend not playing copyrighted music.
Attachments
dmca.PNG
United States of America musketeer925
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: musketeer925

Re: Warning to twitch streamers.

Post by musketeer925 »

If you care about not getting banned I would recommend not playing copyrighted music.
Or if you, you know, care about following the law.
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

Fuck copyright laws in this particular context.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Post by fightinfrenchman »

musketeer925 wrote:
If you care about not getting banned I would recommend not playing copyrighted music.
Or if you, you know, care about following the law.
Nerd
Dromedary Scone Mix is not Alone Mix
United States of America musketeer925
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: musketeer925

Post by musketeer925 »

deleted_user wrote:Fuck copyright laws in this particular context.
Why should you be allowed to stream music you don't have the rights to as part of your Twitch content?
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Post by fightinfrenchman »

musketeer925 wrote:
Why should you be allowed to stream music you don't have the rights to as part of your Twitch content?
Do you work for a record company?
Dromedary Scone Mix is not Alone Mix
Australia wardyb1
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: wardyb1

Post by wardyb1 »

#fuckdisney
“To love the journey is to accept no such end. I have found, through painful experience, that the most important step a person can take is always the next one.”
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

ngl I just want to consume art and socialize.
Canada forgrin
Howdah
ESO: Forgrin

Post by forgrin »

I don't get the logic behind these kinds of takedowns. Nobody is listening to twitch streams for music (unless it's those weird COVID edm streams on the front-page). It's literally just free advertising for the record companies.
https://www.twitch.tv/forgin14

"WTF WHERE ARE MY 10 FALCS" - AraGun_OP
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player
GameRanger ID: 5529322

Post by Kaiserklein »

musketeer925 wrote:
I mean, you can find that music everywhere on the internet for free. I just don't understand what's wrong with playing it on stream, especially when it's just in the background, with game sounds and your voice on top. People aren't watching your stream to listen to free music, in fact if anything I'd say it advertises that music and people may want to listen to it somewhere else later.

Anyway, one easy way for streamers to avoid this problem is to just have their mic a bit louder, or maybe game sounds is even enough. Iirc my twitch videos don't get muted when I'm talking.
LoOk_tOm wrote:I have something in particular against Kaisar (GERMANY NOOB mercenary LAMME FOREVER) And the other people (noobs) like suck kaiser ... just this ..
Australia wardyb1
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: wardyb1

Post by wardyb1 »

The problem is that copyright law is so so so outdated, and controlled by huge companies that will never allow for any change to the law. And although some companies see the benefits to letting their property be used more liberally than others, in the end the $$$ figure that comes from that is harder to perceive compared to the one that pops up straight away from claiming copyright on vods.

Edit: On the plus side is that if it ever got so bad on Youtube and Twitch, that if push came to shove, Google and Amazon might actually start lobbying for copyright reform. However no change will come until huge companies start pushing back against archaic copyright law.
“To love the journey is to accept no such end. I have found, through painful experience, that the most important step a person can take is always the next one.”
Pakistan comradecommissar
Dragoon
ESO: ComradeCommissar

Post by comradecommissar »

Yeah I don't think twitch wants to be taking this kind of action. It ruins their content and earns them nothing. They're just obligated by law to do it, and unless the law changes or record companies stop trying to enforce it this will keep happening.
United States of America Squamiger
Howdah
ESO: Squamiger

Post by Squamiger »

or in any context tbh. ngl art science and music are the inheritance of humanity
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

Let me put on my lawyer suit.
This is because by having copyrighted content owned by someone else on your stream, you are effectively re-streaming someone else's property.
When you buy a song or album, you don't get rights to rebroadcast that anywhere in the public. Because if you do that, the rights owner can consider you're undermining his/her sales.
You are using a product in a way for which you have no rights. You are redistributing the product which makes it unnecessary for others to buy it, if they can get it for free.

Also, you could use their copyrighted music to get subs. Imagine someone who gets leaked new albums or who just is the first to buy any new release and then streams it exclusively to his subscribers.

Yeah, it's a bullshit reason, but it is what it is. If you buy someone else's copyrighted work, you can't just do anything you want with it, like resell it for a profit or re-broadcast it on your own channel. You have a right to use a copy of that content only for your own private ends, not for public redistribution.
Though, realistically, you're way too insignificant to have such an impact. But what if you were a top streamer and you played some artist's new music on your stream every day; maybe some would decide not to buy that music, since they could listen to it for free anyway. They could listen to it on Youtube too, yeah, but the copyrights owner couldn't monetise their music on your stream, like they could on youtube. They can't predict which music you're going to play or ask you for a cut from your subs later.
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

Why is this in the legacy subforum tho
Brazil look
Howdah
ESO: LoOk_tOm

Post by look »

why the hell does anyone play listening music?
I turn off even the music of age
to maximize concentration
Kaiser sucks
Garja Noob
grunt the best
Kickass God
BSOP OP
France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold
ESO: diarouga

Post by [Armag] diarouga »

look wrote:why the hell does anyone play listening music?
I turn off even the music of age
to maximize concentration
I used to do that too. I've actually played like that for like 6 years, but it gets boring.
Netherlands edeholland
ESOC Community Team
Donator 01
ESO: edeholland
GameRanger ID: 4053888
Clan: ESOC

Post by edeholland »

We had to stop playing AoE3 music on ESOCTV because parts of the stream would get automatically muted in the VOD.
Netherlands Mr_Bramboy
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: [VOC] Bram

Post by Mr_Bramboy »

Dolan speaks the truth from a legal point of view. If you're hosting a middle school soccer competition and you want to blast some music over the speakers you will need to obtain the rights to this music too. Many people think they can just use Spotify for this purpose because they already paid for Spotify, but since you're re-streaming the music you need a separate license. Unfortunately, these laws are a bit outdated and were definitely not designed for Twitch and Youtube. Theoretically, you cannot even stream Spotify in your workplace/while working without a separate license!

This warning is unfortunate but I wouldn't look into it too much. Twitch doesn't want to be policing background music; they are just occasionally forced to by these DMCA notices.
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

On the flipside, there is the more interesting case mentioned by Kaiser here, when the streamer is the one advertising that music, since he's more famous than the band whose content he's playing on stream. Most of what I said still applies, because it doesn't matter how popular the streamer or the band is and which would benefit most, if the effect is the same: viewers get access to some content/property for which they haven't paid.
There probably are cases in which the artist can specifically allow a streamer to premiere a song exclusively. In this case, what happens is that their legal representative (records label, agent, whatever) will not raise a DMCA issue with Twitch, so you'll be able to re-stream copyrighted content without any restraints.
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

Btw, if you guys need legal representation, my rate is €600/hour.
Brazil macacoalbino
Howdah
ESO: MacacoAlbino
Clan: 3Huss

Post by macacoalbino »

They just want twitch to pay for the royalties. And twitch would rather ban every single streamer than pay it

Australia Hazza54321
Pro Player
Winter Champion 2020 x2Donator 01
ESO: PrinceofBabu

Post by Hazza54321 »

I play music loud af banging them out like a madman. Twitch cant silence me!
Great Britain Horsemen
Jaeger

Post by Horsemen »

Just use music with copyright expired, there is plenty out there