Rhode Island hoops

This is for discussions about news, politics, sports, other games, culture, philosophy etc.
Great Britain chris1089
Retired Contributor
ESO: chris1089

Re: Rhode Island hoops

Post by chris1089 »

How come both teams score so many points? Is it very hard to defend in basketball?
Suriname kaister
Lancer
ECL Reigning Champs
ESO: I Date My Cousin

Post by kaister »

https://www.espn.com/womens-college-bas ... =401257651 AWFUL SHOWING, TERRIBLE TERRIBLE DEFENSE.
United States of America Sensei
Skirmisher

Post by Sensei »

chris1089 wrote:How come both teams score so many points? Is it very hard to defend in basketball?
Because in America we score point points unlike you European's playing kickball
Suriname kaister
Lancer
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by kaister »

Sensei wrote:
chris1089 wrote:How come both teams score so many points? Is it very hard to defend in basketball?

TIES ARE FOR PUSSIES!!!!!! EUROTRASH
Great Britain chris1089
Retired Contributor

Post by chris1089 »

Sensei wrote:
I'm not talking about the aggregate score, but rather the ratio. Why aren't the scores 80-20?
Skirmisher

Post by Sensei »

chris1089 wrote:
Sensei wrote:
I'm not talking about the aggregate score, but rather the ratio. Why aren't the scores 80-20?
Maybe watch a couple games idk
Great Britain chris1089
Retired Contributor

Post by chris1089 »

Sensei wrote:
chris1089 wrote:
Show hidden quotes
Maybe watch a couple games idk
They on YouTube?
Great Britain chris1089
Retired Contributor

Post by chris1089 »

Test
Suriname kaister
Lancer
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by kaister »

@chris1089 theres a nice video shared in this thread. Should give you a good idea of the game.

viewtopic.php?f=315&t=13834&p=292949&hi ... ck#p292949
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

kaister wrote:https://www.espn.com/womens-college-bas ... =401257651 AWFUL SHOWING, TERRIBLE TERRIBLE DEFENSE.
Stop the count!
Germany Rohbrot
Howdah
ECL Reigning Champs
ESO: Rohbrot

Post by Rohbrot »

@chris1089 , NBA has 4x12 periods while in europe its 4x10 periods (euroleague,eurocup) thats why.
Spain pain train is real
Skirmisher

Post by Sensei »

College hoops is 2x20 min halves. Americans are just better at scoring than Europeans.
Great Britain Riotcoke
Retired Contributor
ECL Reigning ChampsDonator 01
ESO: Riotcoke
Clan: UwU

Post by Riotcoke »

Fucking terrible showing against the bears. The woman's side really needs to get serious.

twitch.tv/stangoesdeepTV
Germany Rohbrot
Howdah
ECL Reigning Champs
ESO: Rohbrot

Post by Rohbrot »

Sensei wrote:College hoops is 2x20 min halves. Americans are just better at scoring than Europeans.
Or worse in defence ;)
Spain pain train is real
Netherlands Mr_Bramboy
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: [VOC] Bram

Post by Mr_Bramboy »

I think it’s also that Kyrie has always been talented enough to not really be held accountable and skate simply on his basketball talent. It feels like before playing with Lebron, he never had to defer to anybody and was the only ego needed to be satisfied His faux-intellectualism reminds of somebody who was never checked when they were younger.
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

Mr_Bramboy wrote:I think it’s also that Kyrie has always been talented enough to not really be held accountable and skate simply on his basketball talent. It feels like before playing with Lebron, he never had to defer to anybody and was the only ego needed to be satisfied His faux-intellectualism reminds of somebody who was never checked when they were younger.
This isnt about the NBA, IDIOT
United States of America minimoult21
Dragoon
ESO: minimoult21

Post by minimoult21 »

After suffering a disappointing defeat to an extraordinary squad, the Rhody Rams are looking to stand tall vs again another extraordinary opponent in the Western Kentucky Hilltoppers.

The Rams have a solid opportunity due to the fact that Hilltopper Charles Bassey (C) will be out due to a season ending injury. Charles had been averaging a double-double with 17 PPG and almost 12 boards. Luckily, the Rams will not have to have this behemoth of a human to interfere with their path to victory. Fired up, the BBs and the Rams will dismantle the hilltopper's defense by attacking the net and drawing many fouls. One of the keys to victory, will be from the foul line. The Rams have been clutch at the line and continue to find success when they are able to get to the line at least 20 times a game.

It's very clear that the Rhody Rams will have their work cut out for them, but will win a close game until the Ram pull away at the end. 81-75 with big boy J. Remy Shepp leading the way with 19 points.
minimoult21 represents a relative unknown.
Suriname kaister
Lancer
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by kaister »

STINGING LOSS for the Rams as they fall to Western Kentucky 68-65. Postgame Reaction to come
United States of America n0el
ESOC Business Team
ESO: jezabob
Clan: 팀 하우스

Post by n0el »

called it
mad cuz bad
Skirmisher

Post by Sensei »

Fittingly the Rams were cheated out of a win in the Diddle Arena today.
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

BOWLING GREEN, Ky. -- — Josh Anderson scored 15 points and Taveion made two free throws with five seconds left and Western Kentucky held off Rhode Island 68-65 on Sunday.

Rhode Island trailed by 11 with 12:51 to play but went on a 15-3 run to take a 52-51 lead with 7:21 to go. Western Kentucky was up five with 1 1/2 minutes remaining but Fatts Russell made three free throws and a layup to tie the game with 47 seconds to go.

Charles Bassey put the Hilltoppers back on top with a layup and after Jalen Carey made just one of two free throws, Hollingsworth sealed it. The Rams couldn't get off a final shot.

Hollingsworth had 14 points and seven rebounds for Western Kentucky (5-2) and Bassey added 13 points, nine rebounds and five blocks.

D.J. Johnson had 16 points for the Rams (3-4) and Russell added 14 points.
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

Expected more from Fatts this game tbh
Skirmisher

Post by Sensei »

Western Kentucky made the final winning play of the afternoon on Sunday, and it came from one of the premier big men in all of college basketball.

Charles Bassey’s putback with 20.1 seconds left put the Hilltoppers ahead to stay against the University of Rhode Island at Diddle Arena in Bowling Green, Kentucky. This matchup between a pair of mid-majors with NCAA Tournament aspirations went to the hosts in dramatic fashion.

Western Kentucky sealed a 68-65 win when Fatts Russell missed the front end of his 1-and-1 chance at the foul line with 1.9 seconds left. The Rams needed a make and then some magic on a second try that would have been intentionally fired off the backboard or side of the rim.

Bassey fumbled an entry pass to the left block and a scramble ensued for a loose ball. Jordan Rawls left a floater on the front rim and Bassey rushed hard to the hoop, tipping the miss back off the glass. That gave the Hilltoppers a 66-64 lead, one they never relinquished.

“I thought we had a chance to dive on it,” URI coach David Cox said. “Unfortunately, Bassey came up with it and ended up scoring a bucket there. That ended up being basically the game.”

Jalen Carey went hard to the lane and was fouled by Bassey with 5.1 seconds left, but his first free throw came up short. Taveion Hollingsworth knocked down a pair at the other end with 4.3 seconds to play and Western Kentucky intentionally fouled Russell to protect its three-point lead. URI never managed another real chance to pull even.

“Disappointed in the loss, obviously,” Cox said. “I thought our guys battled. That’s a very, very good team.”

The Rams tied it for the last time when Makhel Mitchell blocked a short jumper from Rawls in the lane and Russell zipped free on the break. His reverse layup with the left hand made it a 64-64 game with 50.9 seconds left. URI would have earned a chance to take the last shot with one final defensive stop.

The Hilltoppers looked for the knockout midway through the second half, building their largest lead with 12:52 to play. Bassey connected on a pair of free throws to give Western Kentucky a 48-37 cushion, and the Rams immediately went to work. Ishmael Leggett’s hard slash across the lane put URI in front for the first time in more than 16 minutes of play.

“We picked up our pace,” Cox said. “I thought we started getting downhill and touching the paint a little bit more, whether it was dribble-drive or throwing the ball inside.”

The Rams (3-4) went through three distinct stretches in the first half, and only one of them was enjoyable. URI broke the ice to go 8-for-11 from the field and take their first lead with 6:17 left on a steal and runout from Carey. Antwan Walker’s offensive rebound and putback with 3:59 to play matched the largest advantage for the Rams at 24-22.

The start and finish of the opening 20 minutes were both brutal. URI opened 1-for-10 from the field and committed five turnovers, as Western Kentucky (5-2) enjoyed a 9-0 lead after two Josh Anderson free throws. The Rams went 2-for-9 over the final 5:11 and allowed the Hilltoppers to hold a 33-27 cushion at the break.

“I think Bassey might have spooked our guys a little bit early,” Cox said. “He’s a tremendous, tremendous presence in that paint.”

Bassey finished with 13 points, nine rebounds and five blocked shots for Western Kentucky, one of four players in double figures. Anderson led the way with 15 points and the Hilltoppers was 21-for-26 at the line. DJ Johnson came off the bench to pace URI with 16 points while Russell chipped in with 14.
Skirmisher

Post by Sensei »

He’s been following in the footsteps of Jeff Dowtin for years.

He’s now under the wing of Fatts Russell.

And he scored more points through his first five games than any University of Rhode Island freshman since Jared Terrell.

If he’s URI’s next great guard, Ishmael Leggett is already keeping good company.

“He’s just a winner, in every aspect of his person,” URI coach David Cox said. “He’s just an absolute winner.”

A solid start to his first season in Kingston has featured back-to-back games in double figures and an impression that’s been bolder than the statistics. Leggett was named the Atlantic 10’s Rookie of the Week for the week of Nov. 30 after giving the Rams a lift in their win over Seton Hall, and he's averaging 6.9 points in about 16 minutes per game for Rhody (3-4).

On a team with talent, depth and experience, the freshman from Washington, D.C., is demonstrating he belongs.

“It means a lot to me,” Leggett said of the A-10 award. “Going into the season, this was definitely one of my goals. I’m just happy to achieve it so early in the season. I hope to continue to get better as the season goes on.”

Leggett committed to the Rams last fall, an early fixture in a class of newcomers that would grow significantly in the months that followed. By the time he arrived on campus, he was joined by five transfers and two other freshmen. Even as part of that cast, Leggett was touted in the preseason.

Cox has been a fan for years. With his roots and recruiting footprint in the D.C. area, he had Leggett on his radar back when he was a URI assistant.

“He’s an elite competitor, first and foremost,” Cox said. “It doesn’t matter what his matchup is or who we’re playing — he’s going to play at the highest level. He plays with supreme confidence. He’s got a tremendous motor. He plays to win. There’s nothing selfish about him. And he will sacrifice his body. You’ve seen him get down there and rebound with big dogs. You’ve seen him dive on the floor. You’ve seen him make selfless play after selfless play, which is why he was such a prized recruit for us.”

Leggett starred in the top-notch D.C. hoops ranks at St. John’s College High School, the alma mater of both Cox and Dowtin, the former Rams star. Dowtin’s success at URI — starting on two NCAA Tournament teams, earning third-team all-conference last season, departing at No. 22 on the school’s all-time scoring list — naturally caught Leggett’s eye as he took the torch from Dowtin at St. John’s.

“That was a huge factor to why I committed to Rhode Island,” Leggett said. “Jeff’s success from freshman to senior year, his development coming out of high school. Each year, I just saw that he got better. I’m trying to do the same thing — each year getting better, having guys around me that push me and having coaches that push me each day.”

Cox sees similarities that go beyond the shared roots.

“I think I said this before when Ish arrived here, he’s Jeff Dowtin 2.0,” Cox said. “I meant that in regards not only to his his abilities and production on the floor, but the person he is off the floor. We’re fortunate to have him here. ... I bet if I asked [him] to play the four or five for me, he would run out there. He would probably throw on some extra elbow pads but he would handle that without a second thought. In this day and age, this generation of player, that’s atypical.”

Since Leggett's arrival on campus, Cox has observed common traits with another URI star. Russell is back for his senior season after earning first-team all-conference honors last year. In summer workouts, he was greeted by a youngster bent on taking Kingston by storm much as he did four years ago.

“I remember the first day that Ish was on the floor playing against Fatts,” Cox said. “I think he probably disturbed Fatts a little bit with how hard he was playing in a regular pickup game. But not very long after that they became almost inseparable because of the respect that Ish earned from Fatts. Fatts is a high-level baller and a high-level competitor. He likes to play around other confident, high-level guys. Ish has those similar qualities. As an older player, you’ve got to respect that.”

Leggett scored 11 points each in back-to-back wins over San Francisco (Nov. 29) and Seton Hall (Dec. 2). His contributions were crucial against the Pirates, with fellow newcomer Jalen Carey sidelined. Leggett played a career-high 25 minutes and was on the court down the stretch as the Rams pulled away for the win.

Sunday, he had seven points, three assists and two steals, but the Rams suffered their second straight loss, 68-65 to Western Kentucky. They open their Atlantic-10 season on Friday, hosting Davidson (3-2).

“My coaches trust me and I believe in myself,” Leggett said. “I think a lot of it is confidence. Once I get on the court, I feel like I’m just another college basketball player. Age is just a number to me. I just have to go out there and prove myself each and every time I’m on the court.”

The A-10 honor checks a box on Leggett’s list of goals for this season. Asked to name some other objectives, Leggett mentioned all-rookie honors.

But that wasn’t the first thing he talked about.

“As a team, definitely just keep winning,” he said.
United States of America minimoult21
Dragoon
ESO: minimoult21

Post by minimoult21 »

Friday's game against Davidson is the 16th meeting between the schools. The Wildcats hold a slight 8-7 edge in the series. Rhode Island is 4-2 all time against Davidson in the Ryan Center, including a 69-58 victory last season. Davidson has won five of the last six games in the series, including a 77-75 overtime win at home against the Rams last Feb. 22. This is the conference opener for both teams. Rhode Island enters the game looking to snap a two-game losing streak, while Davidson is coming off a loss to Charlotte on Tuesday. Davidson leads the Atlantic 10 in free throw percentage, shooting 76.8 percent as a team. Sophomore swingman Hyunjung Lee is 16-for-16 at the line, while senior guard Carter Collins is 19-of-21. Rhode Island is looking to win its conference opener for the first time since the 2017-18 season. Rhody fell to Richmond in the league opener last season and to Saint Louis the year before that.

Head coach David Cox is 19-6 in his last 25 games against Atlantic 10. At 13-5 in A-10 play last season, Cox tied the third-most conference wins in a season in URI history. After dropping the league opener against Richmond last season, Cox and the Rams won 10 consecutive games in conference play. Head coach David Cox is 42-28 through his first two seasons, giving him a .600 winning percentage.

With four assists Sunday at Western Kentucky, senior Fatts Russell moved into a tie for 10th place in program history. Russell tied Parfait Bitee, who had 331 from 2004-08. Next on Rhode Island's all-time list are Stan Wright (333 from 1975-78) and Jiggy Williamson (346 from 1975-78). Over the course of his career, Russell has assisted on baskets by 24 different teammates. Former forward Cyril Langevine was the most frequent recipient, scoring 81 times off of passes from Russell. Between his 1,365 career points and 331 career assists, Russell has directly contributed to 2,120 points so far in his career.

With a 7:02 p.m. tip time, ESPNU will have the broadcast of Friday's game (Dec. 18th 2020). The talent will be on site, with Jon Meterparel handling play-by-play and Tim Welsh providing the color. Steve McDonald and Don Kaull have the radio call on B101.
minimoult21 represents a relative unknown.