Rhode Island hoops

This is for discussions about news, politics, sports, other games, culture, philosophy etc.
United States of America Sensei
Skirmisher

Re: Rhode Island hoops

Post by Sensei »

It’s time to see what the University of Rhode Island has learned.

The Rams opted for some stiff nonconference tests and now they’ll attempt to apply some of those lessons to the meat of their schedule. That challenge begins Friday night at the Ryan Center.

URI hosts Davidson in a nationally televised tip to begin Atlantic 10 play. The Rams find themselves below .500 overall, but a pair of those defeats came against top-20 opponents in Arizona State and Wisconsin. Neither of those programs were on the original schedule, but URI opted to take its chances at bolstering what it hopes will be an NCAA Tournament resumé by the time March arrives.

“That’s kind of why we shot for the stars there,” URI coach David Cox said. “We can learn so much more about ourselves in tough, hard-fought games — even losses — than we can in blowout victories. Those are kind of for the parents, for the fans, for the families, for the guys to feel good.

“Without the luxury of having a 12- or 13-game nonconference, we felt it was much more important to play meaningful games, even with the possibility of losing, so we could grow as a team.”

The basics remain the same. The Rams were victorious in their three best offensive games in terms of efficiency. They held five of their opponents to less than a point per possession.

What’s new is the breadth of the URI rotation. Transfers Jalen Carey and Makhel Mitchell look to be key pieces moving forward in 2020-21. Junior college forward D.J. Johnson has shown signs of developing into a worthwhile bench contributor after redshirting last season. The Rams will need those reinforcements ready to go with Fatts Russell (right heel) ailing and Makhi Mitchell (left knee) out for the season.

“I’ve learned as a group we can play with just about anybody in the country if we come in and play disciplined, hard-nosed basketball — particularly on the defensive end,” Cox said. “I’ve also figured out if our defense isn’t there that we’re not nearly as good of a team, even though we have some offensive talent.”

Mitchel suffered his injury over the weekend in a 68-65 loss at Western Kentucky. He left the game midway through the first half and didn’t return, watching the final 20 minutes while wearing a brace. Mitchell averaged 5.9 points and 4.9 rebounds through seven games, ranking second on the team in boards.

“I think Makhi was just starting to hit his stride,” Cox said. “His size, he’s talented, he’s athletic, he provides both depth and experience — it's a loss, definitely.”

URI (3-4, 0-0) is likely to feature smaller lineups going forward, and those will include Towson transfer Allen Betrand. The junior guard was set to sit out the season until Wednesday’s blanket ruling by the NCAA granting immediate eligibility to all transfers. Betrand is a wing guard who averaged 13.6 points and shot 38.7% from 3-point range for the Tigers last season.

“He’s a true kind of North Philly kid,” Cox said. “He brings attitude, energy — he's been one of our most dynamic leaders-coaches for the last two months.”

The Wildcats (3-3, 0-0) suffered through some rare offensive futility in a 63-52 loss to Charlotte on Tuesday. Davidson closed just 9-for-34 from 3-point range and never led by more than four throughout a gruesome 40 minutes. The Wildcats dealt the Rams a body blow down the stretch last season in a 77-75 home victory, earning a split of the 2019-20 series.

“They’ve got some weapons — tremendous, tremendous weapons,” Cox said. “We’re going to have to be locked in defensively at a high level tomorrow.”
Australia Hazza54321
Pro Player
Winter Champion 2020 x2Donator 01
ESO: PrinceofBabu

Post by Hazza54321 »

Rhode Island trailed by 11 with 12:51 to play but went on a 15-3 run to take a 52-51 lead with 7:21 to go. Western Kentucky was up five with 1 1/2 minutes remaining but Fatts Russell made three free throws and a layup to tie the game with 47 seconds to go.
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

Another disappointing showing from Fatts tbh
Skirmisher

Post by Sensei »

For the first time in 28 days, the University of Rhode Island has that winning feeling.

An extended layoff around the holidays had plenty to do with prolonging the wait. But it was still way back on Dec. 2 when the Rams appeared to build some momentum by downing Seton Hall at the Ryan Center.

Wednesday afternoon will help change the mood in Kingston after a three-game losing streak. URI showed some mental toughness in the second half while taking care of St. Bonaventure, 63-57, for its first Atlantic 10 triumph of the season.

Jeremy Sheppard bounced back from a scoreless outing against Davidson with a game-high 17 points. Antwan Walker notched his second career double-double with 11 points and 10 rebounds. The Rams squandered a double-digit lead but finished with a 16-10 advantage over the final 5:24.

“You’ll take any win,” URI coach David Cox said. “It’s been four weeks since I’ve been able to smile.”

Makhel Mitchell’s dunk in transition snapped the 10th and final tie of the game at 47-47. Walker followed with a 3-pointer from out high and URI stretched the lead to two possessions. Fatts Russell and Sheppard went a combined 6-for-6 at the line inside the final minute as the Rams steadily opened up a 61-53 margin.

“Just keep playing as a team,” Walker said. “Keep rebounding. Keep doing what we do. Everybody play their roles and everything will come.”

URI roared out of the locker room on a 13-0 run to start the second half. St. Bonaventure was scoreless for the first 5:28 and the Rams pushed their lead to double digits when Sheppard knocked down a transition 3-pointer on the left wing. URI used some energy plays to get started, as Jermaine Harris spun on the right baseline for a slam and Malik Martin tossed in an overhead layup in the lane to start a three-point play.

The Bonnies wasted no time hitting back, mounting a 13-2 charge of their own keyed by to a trapping 1-3-1 zone. The Rams endured a 5:09 stretch without scoring and Alejandro Vasquez knocked down the tying 3-pointer from the left wing. It was a 42-42 game with 8:29 to play, and both teams sprinted for the finish.

“In any game there’s going to be adversity,” Cox said. “It can happen at the beginning, the middle or the end. It just so happened for us it happened at the end of the half and then toward the tail end of the game when they tied it up.”

URI (4-5, 1-1 A-10) kept a lid on the top two options for St. Bonaventure, particularly in the second half. Kyle Lofton hit for just two of his team-high 13 points over the final 20 minutes. Osun Osunniyi fouled out with 3:47 to play after totaling just eight points, four rebounds and four blocked shots. Dominick Welch missed each of his first six shots and closed 2-for-9 from the field.

“I thought we were locked in,” Cox said. “I’ve got to give [assistant coach] Austin Carroll a lot of credit. It was a great scout, so we were really well-prepared for this.”

The Rams spent most of the opening 20 minutes hurting themselves. URI committed 13 turnovers, eclipsing their total in 18 of their 30 full games last season. Lofton’s driving layup at the horn gave the Bonnies (2-1, 0-1) a 29-27 lead into halftime.

“We just had to really get back to our roles,” Walker said. “We prepared for it the whole time we were on break. Nothing changed.”
Skirmisher

Post by Sensei »

He can’t be credited with the win alone, but Fatts Russell certainly earned the save on Sunday afternoon.

The University of Rhode Island was on the verge of what would have been a brutal Atlantic 10 defeat against staggering Saint Joseph’s. But the senior guard turned up just in time to prevent disaster at the Ryan Center.

Russell knocked down three free throws with 4.7 seconds to play in regulation and extended his surge into overtime as the Rams escaped with an 85-77 triumph.

Russell had just seven points entering the final 2:42 of regulation. He finished with a team-high 20 and is just one shy of 1,400 in his URI career — only 22 players have reached that mark with the Rams. Russell also went 10-for-10 at the line while adding eight rebounds, eight assists and five steals.

“Some people are alphas,” URI coach David Cox said. “Some people have the ‘it’ factor. He’s an alpha with the ‘it’ factor.”

Rhode Island's Makhel Mitchell elevates for a layup on Sunday afternoon against St. Joseph's at the Ryan Center. The Rams won in overtime.
The Hawks entered Sunday's contest winless in six games and put on a late demonstration of why they’ve been unable to break through thus far. Russell was fouled by Myles Douglas while rushing up the right wing late in regulation and squeezed off a 3-pointer in the process. His ensuing foul shots took care of a 70-67 deficit, and Jordan Hall missed a prayer at the horn to force an extra five minutes.

“I know, when I’m coming down with a full head of steam, people normally touch me to control me,” Russell said. “I was waiting for (Douglas) to touch my body. As soon as he touched my body I just went up for the 3.”

Russell heard a familiar voice prior to his first free throw as he cradled the ball. His former Philadelphia high school teammate at Imhotep Charter, Saint Joseph's guard Dahmir Bishop, was talking some good-natured trash in an attempt to provide a distraction. Russell found a healthy portion of the rim while rattling home his first shot and nailed the next two.

“I’ve been struggling all year — it's not a secret,” Russell said. “My confidence hasn’t gone anywhere, though.”

The Hawks left the door open down the stretch after Taylor Funk’s three-point play in the lane gave the visitors a 67-65 lead. Hall’s pair of free throws with 19.2 seconds left made it a two-possession game, but Jalen Carey’s jumper from the left elbow cut the deficit in half and Cameron Brown missed the first of two free throws with 8.8 seconds to play. URI inbounded to rush up the floor still holding an outside chance to manage a tie.

“As soon as he felt contact he went up into a real shot, which I thought was the right call,” Cox said. “Then for him to go to the line and make those three clutch free throws, that’s what you expect out of your senior captain.”

The Rams (5-5, 2-1 A-10) never trailed in the overtime after buckets by Carey and Russell in the opening minute. D.J. Johnson’s 3-pointer from the corner with 17.4 seconds left doubled what was an 80-77 advantage, and Russell knocked down his final two free throws in the final two seconds.

It was URI’s fifth straight victory against Saint Joseph's and the seventh in the last eight meetings.

“Honestly, I just wanted to win for my team,” Russell said. “This is one step closer to our goal, which is a regular-season championship. That was my main focus.”

The Hawks (0-7, 0-1 A-10) came within seconds of dealing the Rams what could have been a crippling early blow. Funk hit for a career-high 29 points on 11-for-21 shooting, including 5-for-11 from 3-point range. Brown entered with just 12 points in his three games this season and finished with 21 on 8-for-15 shooting.

Saint Joseph's rode a hot start to its largest lead inside the opening eight minutes. The Hawks were on their way to 12-for-18 from the field when Brown drove hard off the left wing for a slashing layup. URI went more than 11 minutes midway through the first half without pulling in front until a 3-pointer from Allen Betrand with 5:29 left.

Makhel Mitchell finished with 15 points and eight rebounds for the Rams, the only other starter to join Russell in double figures. Johnson had 11 points off the bench, as the URI reserves enjoyed a 30-12 advantage.
Great Britain chris1089
Retired Contributor
ESO: chris1089

Post by chris1089 »

Copypasta from where?
United States of America n0el
ESOC Business Team
ESO: jezabob
Clan: 팀 하우스

Post by n0el »

mad cuz bad
Suriname kaister
Lancer
ECL Reigning Champs
ESO: I Date My Cousin

Post by kaister »

Attachments
renderTimingPixel.png
pxusr.gif
pxext.gif
communityIcon_qxmuft7l9xp51.jpg
Suriname kaister
Lancer
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by kaister »

Rhode island vs Richmond about to tip. Expecting a great defensive outing from Fatts and the boys, and of course a win. GO RHODY
Suriname kaister
Lancer
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by kaister »

72-59 Rams
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

on the rhode to victory, 115
United States of America theonlybaus
Advanced Player
ESO: theonlybaus

Post by theonlybaus »

Tonight’s game between Richmond (7-3, 1-1) and Rhode Island (5-5, 2-1) is one that feels like a must win for both teams. The Spiders are coming off a heartbreaking loss to the Bonnies and Rhode Island is looking to build on their 2 game A10 winning streak. With the recent NET rankings leaving the Spiders within striking distance, another loss at home is something that needs to be avoided at all costs. The Spiders defeated the Rams last season at the Ryan Center 69-61 behind Nathan Cayo’s 19 points and 11 rebounds.

All eyes will be on the matchup between 2 of the best guards in the conference in Jacob Gilyard and Fatts Russell. For the Rams, Fatts has led the team in scoring in 5 of their 10 games this season, winning 4 of them. What does that tell us? Limit his scoring. When looking at Jacob Gilyard, we know that he can do whatever is needed on any given night. If he needs to score, he will drop 15 on you. If he needs to focus on defense in a high scoring game? He gets you 5 steals. Whatever the Spiders need, this guy will give it to you, so he will be key in tonight’s game. Grant Golden will also play a major role in this one. This Richmond offense flows much better when he gets touches. The offense needs to be facilitated through him tonight, where I believe he can have a monster game. One thing the Spiders haven’t done well as of late is getting the deep ball to fall. In their most recent loss to St. Bonaventure, Richmond went 6-24 from long range.

My prediction for this one will be a narrow victory for the Spiders. The team will shoot the ball much better than they did last Saturday, and Grant Golden will have a big game down low, as well as in the assist category. Tyler Burton puts someone on a poster, and the Spiders are in a much better position than they were last week. Final score prediction: Richmond 74 – Rhode Island 68. See you tonight Spider Nation!
United States of America minimoult21
Dragoon
ESO: minimoult21

Post by minimoult21 »

The BBs came in so hot tonight. They out scored the Richmond's bench, 21-1. An astounding +20 point differential! However it proved not enough for the Rhodey Rams. As URI fell to Richmond by a scored of 80-73.

It really was a heartbreaker. There were many points where the Rams were in this game. They had the lead by 2 points just a few seconds after the 2nd half starting buzzer went off. That lead disappeared after just a short 43 seconds, and would not be regained for the remainder of the night.

If the Rams plan on bouncing back, their starters are going to need to do a better job of taking care of the ball! A team that wants to go dancing in March cannot be committing 19 turnovers on 71 possessions. That is an absurd 27% turnover rate.

Another thing, the Rams need to be better at the line. As a team that goes to the line often and usually capitalizes at the line, tonight was a bit off. The Rams only converted on 56% of their free throws, which is down significantly from their season average of 67%

The Rhodey Rams will have a chance to get back on track as they stay in Virginia and play VCU on Saturday, 1/9/21. It will be an exciting game verses a very beatable squad.

We expect big things from our Rams and will settle for nothing less....than a W!

This has been minimoult21's post game analysis, signing off from SC.
minimoult21 represents a relative unknown.
Suriname kaister
Lancer
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by kaister »

RICHMOND, Va. -- — Jacob Gilyard had a season-high 22 points as Richmond defeated Rhode Island 80-73 on Wednesday night.

Grant Golden had 17 points, nine rebounds and five assists for Richmond (8-3, 2-1 Atlantic 10 Conference). Blake Francis added 15 points and Nathan Cayo had 14. Gilyard made 6 of 8 3-pointers and had five steals.

Fatts Russell had 18 points and six rebounds for the Rams (5-6, 2-2). Antwan Walker added 12 points and eight rebounds. Jeremy Sheppard had 11 points.
Skirmisher

Post by Sensei »

Senior Fatts Russell led Rhode Island with 18 points along with six rebounds, four assists and two steals.
With his first point of the night, Russell reached 1,400 for his career. By the end of the game, he had passed former teammate Jeff Dowtin for 22nd place in program history. Dowtin had 1,410. Russell is up to 1,417.
Redshirt junior Antwan Walker had 12 points on 6-of-7 shooting and added eight rebounds.
The third Ram in double digits was senior Jeremy Sheppard with 11 points. He was 3-of-5 from 3-point range.
The rest of the team combined to go 3-of-10 from the perimeter.
Redshirt sophomore Jalen Carey led the Rhody bench with eight points and five rebounds.
The URI bench outscored Richmond's bench, 21-1.
Despite the turnovers, Rhode Island continues to be efficient with its overall shooting. The Rams as a team shot 52.7 percent from the floor, the sixth time in 11 games they have shot at a clip of .450 or better.
Rhode Island had nine turnovers in the first half, but Richmond only managed six points off the miscues. The 10 second-half turnovers led to 14 points.
Suriname kaister
Lancer
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by kaister »

HUGE WIN FOR THE RAMS TODAY!!! RHODE ISLAND DEFEATS VCU 83-68! MORE REACTION TO COME
Skirmisher

Post by Sensei »

Game was tied at 40-40 half time but the Rhody Rams had a strong defensive showing in the second half holding the VCU Rams to only 28 points. Fatts Russell and Jeremy Shepp provided the majority of the offence with 23 and 20 points, respectively while playing 31 minutes each.
Suriname kaister
Lancer
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by kaister »

Fatts Russell had 23 points, tying his season high, as Rhode Island got past VCU 83-68 on Saturday.

The 5-foot-10 Russell grabbed nine rebounds and shot 13 for 14 from the foul line. Jeremy Sheppard added 20 points and seven rebounds for Rhode Island.

Allen Betrand had 13 points for Rhode Island (6-6, 3-2 Atlantic 10 Conference).

Nah'Shon Hyland had 24 points for VCU (9-3, 2-1), whose seven-game win streak ended with the loss. KeShawn Curry added 11 points and Hason Ward had four blocks.

Vince Williams Jr., who was second on VCU in scoring entering the contest with 11 points per game, missed eight of his shot attempts.

Rhode Island leaves Richmond after splitting the 2 games against A10 Competition with a 3-2 record in the conference. Up next is a trip to UMass. go Rams
Skirmisher

Post by Sensei »

Much like the two meetings last season, Wednesday night’s University of Rhode Island-Massachusetts grudge match went down to the wire.

The only change was the result, and that left the Rams with a disappointing bus ride home from Amherst.

Antwan Walker missed what would have been the tying layup at the overtime horn. The Minutemen survived in an 80-78 squeaker at Mullins Center, one they didn’t have secured until the game’s final shot rimmed out.

Fatts Russell gathered on the right wing and fed a pass into the paint to a cutting Walker. He evaded a token challenge from Tre Mitchell and appeared caught between whether to dunk the ball or just lay it up. Something in between those two options was the conclusion and Walker’s shot bounced out as time expired.

“Tough loss,” URI coach David Cox said. “Hard-fought loss. I don’t know what else to say.”

URI's Fatts Russell gets a shot off just beyond the reach of UMass' Noah Fernandes during Wednesday night's game in Amherst, Mass.
Carl Pierre connected on just the second of his two free throws to keep the door open for URI. Jeremy Sheppard’s turnover on the previous possession — his fifth on the night and the 20th for the Rams — spoiled what looked to be a final chance to steal a win. UMass refused to make it easy but ultimately snapped its three-game Atlantic 10 losing streak against URI.

“We’re having difficulty just passing the ball in general,” Cox said. “It’s a fundamental flaw. We’ve got to get better at that.”

The Minutemen had two chances to win it in regulation after Allen Betrand drilled the tying 3-pointer from the left wing. Noah Fernandes was short on a 3-pointer from the top of the key and Mitchell’s put-back rattled out as time expired. It was a 72-72 game and neither team managed a point through the first 3:03 in the extra session.

The Rams were staring at a 62-47 deficit with 9:35 left before rallying to force five extra minutes. Mitchell picked up a fourth personal foul and went to the bench with 7:54 to play, giving the Rams the spark they required to mount an 11-0 run. Russell’s pair of free throws with 4:05 left cut the gap to one possession for the first time in 12 minutes.

UMass' Carl Pierre pushes the ball up the floor with URI's Fatts Russell on his hip during the first half Wednesday night in Amherst. Mass.
“We threw them off their rhythm a little bit and protected our big, who was playing his tail off,” Cox said. “It gave us a chance to win.”

The man referenced by Cox was Makhel Mitchell, who hit for a career-high 23 points and added six rebounds before fouling out with 25.4 seconds left in overtime. Mitchell fired down three dunks while URI dug out of its 15-point hole. He closed 10-for-13 from the field but was just 3-for-9 from the foul line, as the Rams ended a painful 11-for-21 at the stripe.

“I thought he posted hard,” Cox said. “He made real post moves. I thought he played as well as he could on Tre.”

The Rams (6-7, 3-3 A-10) took their final lead with 42.6 seconds left in overtime when D.J. Johnson nailed a 3-pointer from the right corner. He closed with 11 points off the bench, one of four URI players in double figures. Russell managed 12 points on just 3-for-13 shooting while Sheppard’s team-high seven assists were weighed down by his giveaways and a 3-for-8 effort from the floor.

Ronnie DeGray III posted a career-high 21 points for UMass (4-3, 3-1), which is off to its best league start since the 2013-14 season. The freshman finished 7-for-9 from the field and benefited from a Rams defensive game plan geared to stop Tre Mitchell and shut off the perimeter. The Minutemen bricked their way to 6-for-30 from 3-point range and still found enough answers to pull it out.

“He definitely took advantage of that,” Cox said. “He had a lot of space.”
Suriname kaister
Lancer
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by kaister »

AMHERST, Mass. -- — R onnie DeGray III scored a career-high 21 points and Tre Mitchell made the go-ahead free throws with 33 seconds left in overtime as UMass beat Rhode Island 80-78 on Wednesday night.

D.J. Johnson put the Rmas up 78-77 with a 3-pointer with 42 seconds left. Mitchell was fouled on the ensuing possession and made a pair of free throws with 25 seconds to go.

Carl Pierre then came up with a steal and was fouled with six seconds left. He only made the second of two free throws but Rhode Island couldn't tie it up at the buzzer.

Mitchell had 16 points and four assists for UMass (4-3, 3-1 Atlantic 10 Conference). CPierre added 15 points. Noah Fernandes had 10 points and eight rebounds.

Makhel Mitchell scored a career-high 23 points for the Rams (6-7, 3-3). Fatts Russell added 12 points and seven rebounds. Allen Betrand had 11 points.
Suriname kaister
Lancer
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by kaister »

a bit off topic, but on my way back to Providence after the last Rams game saw something strange. I live in Providence and fish the rivers around here all the time from shore. The amount of poaching I see is unbelievable. This spring I was chucking some soft plastics down by the hurricane barrier and a young Hispanic guy shows me his bucket with half a dozen 8in blackfish like it was some success. Today, I rode my bike down around the barrier and there was a whole Asian family (3 lines in the water) pulling up snapper bluefish one after another. Each had a bucket with 12+ snapper blues in it. I talked to the folks and told them the new 2020 regs (3 per person, no size limit) and they were respectful and packed up. I've seen shit like this happen more times than I can count and I'm truly sick of it. I love that people are here enjoying the water and getting tight on some fish. I understand for some of these folks this might be a legit protein source. But I can't just sit and watch as one of our beloved gamefish (love or hate um, they tug) gets poached right before my eyes knowing the population is suffering bigtime. I even told them if they targeted scup they could keep way more for the table!

Have any of you seen behavior like this? Please be good stewards and protect what fisheries we have left.

I called the RI DEM afterwards and they told me next time to stay put and report the crime while its happening, so officers can respond. Person to tag for reporting is @bwinner
Netherlands don_artie
Dragoon
ESO: don artie

Post by don_artie »

kaister wrote:a bit off topic, but on my way back to Providence after the last Rams game saw something strange. I live in Providence and fish the rivers around here all the time from shore. The amount of poaching I see is unbelievable. This spring I was chucking some soft plastics down by the hurricane barrier and a young Hispanic guy shows me his bucket with half a dozen 8in blackfish like it was some success. Today, I rode my bike down around the barrier and there was a whole Asian family (3 lines in the water) pulling up snapper bluefish one after another. Each had a bucket with 12+ snapper blues in it. I talked to the folks and told them the new 2020 regs (3 per person, no size limit) and they were respectful and packed up. I've seen shit like this happen more times than I can count and I'm truly sick of it. I love that people are here enjoying the water and getting tight on some fish. I understand for some of these folks this might be a legit protein source. But I can't just sit and watch as one of our beloved gamefish (love or hate um, they tug) gets poached right before my eyes knowing the population is suffering bigtime. I even told them if they targeted scup they could keep way more for the table!

Have any of you seen behavior like this? Please be good stewards and protect what fisheries we have left.

I called the RI DEM afterwards and they told me next time to stay put and report the crime while its happening, so officers can respond. Person to tag for reporting is @bwinner

is rams game and ram ranch related at all? I would be interested to follow it then
Suriname kaister
Lancer
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by kaister »

@don_artie this should give you a general idea
Netherlands don_artie
Dragoon
ESO: don artie

Post by don_artie »