Rhode Island hoops

This is for discussions about news, politics, sports, other games, culture, philosophy etc.
Suriname kaister
Lancer
ECL Reigning Champs
ESO: I Date My Cousin

Re: Rhode Island hoops

Post by kaister »

@don_artie the wyoming backetball team has some of the best showers, according to @bwinner
United States of America Sensei
Skirmisher

Post by Sensei »

Suriname kaister
Lancer
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by kaister »

France bwinner
Howdah
Donator 01
ESO: bwinner

Post by bwinner »

kaister wrote:@don_artie the wyoming backetball team has some of the best showers, according to @bwinner
I gotta say I am a bit lost :lol:
What is this thread all about and what am I doing here?
Skirmisher

Post by Sensei »

Two things can be true while assessing the University of Rhode Island’s loss at Massachusetts on Wednesday.

The Rams quite literally gave the game away as much as the Minutemen won it. URI committed 20 turnovers in the 80-78 overtime defeat, the final one coming from Jeremy Sheppard with 6.4 seconds left. The Rams wound up with one last possession and Antwan Walker missed a layup at the horn.

URI has racked up 98 turnovers in its last five games, and the majority of those have come from players listed on the roster as guards. The Rams give the ball away on 21.0% of their possessions this season, which would be their worst mark since the 2006-07 campaign. URI hasn’t been above 17.8% in any of the last five seasons.

“Obviously it’s coming from all over the place,” URI coach David Cox said. “We’re having difficulty just passing the ball in general. It’s a fundamental flaw. We’ve got to get better at that.”

Saturday's game represents the next opportunity the Rams will get to cure what ails them. George Mason visits for a 2 p.m. tip at the Ryan Center, the same group of Patriots that dealt URI a surprising loss at this venue early in the 2018-19 season. The Rams need a victory not to keep pace with the Atlantic 10 elite, but to avoid an extended stay among the mediocre pack of programs in the middle.

URI (6-7, 3-3 A-10) found itself in a 15-point hole midway through the second half at Mullins Center before making its run. The Rams scored 25 of the game’s final 35 points to force the extra session, including the tying 3-pointer from the left wing by Allen Betrand. It was another Betrand jumper and an ensuing timeout earlier in the half that convinced Cox his team might be able to make one last run.

“We had some solid, positive voices during that timeout I took after (Betrand) hit the 3,” Cox said. “I think guys locked in. They played well enough down the stretch to get the victory. We just didn’t make enough plays.”

Makhel Mitchell hit for a game-high 23 points on 10-for-13 shooting, winning his matchup with Minutemen frontcourt standout Tre Mitchell. But the weakest spot in the URI big man’s game was exposed at the most inopportune time — Mitchell finished just 3-for-9 at the foul line. URI went 11-for-21 overall while UMass was a tidy 20-for-24.

“I thought we battled back,” Cox said. “We showed some toughness, some fight, some resiliency. We got to the overtime.”

George Mason (6-5, 2-3) snapped a three-game losing streak with a 75-42 destruction of La Salle on Wednesday. The Patriots were picked 10th in the league's preseason poll, with a pair of seniors — guard Javon Greene and forward AJ Wilson — selected to the all-conference third team. Wilson was also named to the preseason all-defensive team after blocking 92 shots in 2019-20.

Cumberland native Tyler Kolek has been one of the early standouts for George Mason. A former star at Cumberland High and St. George’s, Kolek selected the Patriots from a final list that also included Elon, Northeastern, Holy Cross and Vermont. Kolek prepped with the Dragons for one season after finishing his Interscholastic League career in Kingston, dropping a boys state tournament semifinal against Bishop Hendricken.
Skirmisher

Post by Sensei »

SOUTH KINGSTOWN — Wins and losses aside, it’s been an ongoing search for the finer details at the University of Rhode Island.

The Rams endured a five-game stretch of carelessness with the ball that included 98 turnovers, committing 20 more in Wednesday’s overtime defeat at Massachusetts. Saturday afternoon’s first half against George Mason at the Ryan Center appeared no different.

Then the final 20 minutes commenced and URI flashed the raw ability and cohesiveness that took down Seton Hall and ran away from VCU earlier this season. The Patriots were hopeless in an 80-60 drubbing, one that pushed the Rams back to the .500 mark overall and above that line in the Atlantic 10 standings.

URI gave the ball away just three times in the second half and shot a season-high 52.8% from the field. Fatts Russell led three in double figures with 18 points and was turnover-free in 34 minutes. Makhel Mitchell’s second career double-double came courtesy of 14 points and 10 rebounds.

“We played the same guys,” URI coach David Cox said. “We played the same style. There was no real difference there. They made up their minds that they were going to be locked into the game plan and they were going to be locked into taking care of the ball and executing at a high level at the offensive end.”

This was a 51-48 game with 13:13 left after a 3-pointer by Jamal Hartwell II cut the George Mason deficit in half. The Rams crushed the Patriots from there, mounting runs of 7-2 and 11-2. Russell’s stepback 3-pointer from the left wing beat the shot clock and made it a 75-58 romp with 2:33 to play.

“We have a lot of talented guards,” Russell said. “We all can go, create our own play and be playmakers. Sometimes we do too much.”

URI was efficient overall to the tune of 1.25 points per possession. Russell went 6-for-12 from the field and Antwan Walker finished just shy of a double-double with 17 points and nine boards. Mitchell was 8-for-9 from the foul line in the second half after missing four attempts in the first.

“We’ve got a lot of firepower,” Cox said. “It’s a shame that we give up so many opportunities by not even getting a shot off because we’re turning the ball over.”

The Rams (7-7, 4-3 A-10) used just nine scholarship players in this one, and walk-ons Umberto Brusadin and Brandon Borde made their first appearances of the season with 59.5 seconds left. Jermaine Harris (coach’s decision) was sidelined and the URI bench still enjoyed a 16-9 advantage. The Rams also controlled the paint by a count of 34-20.

“Every day it might be somebody different on this team,” Russell said. “We’re very talented. We’re very deep, too.”

George Mason (6-6, 3-3 A-10) matched its largest lead with 8:43 left in the first half. Cumberland native Tyler Kolek drained a 3-pointer from the left corner and the Patriots enjoyed a 26-15 cushion thanks to a 10-2 run. Kolek reached double figures for the sixth time in his freshman season and finished with 13 points.

URI clamped down over the final 4:58, blitzing to a 34-34 halftime tie thanks to a 12-3 push. Ishmael Leggett hit the first of two free throws to give the Rams their first lead at the 2:18 mark and Walker’s hard drive inside the final seven seconds forced the tie. URI finished at an even 52.0% from the field, including 11-for-17 from 2-point range.

Sloppy play has led to some uncomfortable film sessions for the Rams over the last two weeks. URI entered Saturday turning the ball over on 21.0% of possessions this season, its worst team mark since the 2006-07 campaign. Those constant visuals can now be replaced by how the Rams hope to look the rest of the way.

“I’ve tried negative reinforcement for the last couple of weeks — making them watch all the turnovers and what it’s led to,” Cox said. “Maybe now I can switch to some positive reinforcement and show them on film what it looks like when we play the right way and take care of the ball.”
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

i love the rams so so much. sometimes i get so overwhelmed with life, the rams are all i have. getting my first rhody ram tat this afternoon, wish me luck!
Skirmisher

Post by Sensei »

The final 20 minutes against George Mason on Saturday are what allow the University of Rhode Island to keep the faith.

This was the Rams at their best. The Patriots were powerless to stop a team that features playmakers at guard and athletic options in the frontcourt. URI ran away for an 80-60 victory at the Ryan Center, committing just 12 turnovers in the process.

This was the same team that gave the ball away 98 times in its previous five games. The Rams are hoping that that careless group missed the flight to Pittsburgh for a Wednesday matchup against Duquesne. It’s the focused, detail-oriented product URI hopes to put on the floor when it tips off against the reeling Dukes.

“It’s a big difference,” URI coach David Cox said. “Sometimes it’s a two- or four- or five-point turnaround. I hope the guys were able to see what we’re capable of when we take care of the ball like we’re supposed to.”

Cox promised a lighter film session in the following days leading up to the latest Atlantic 10 matchup for the Rams. The previous two weeks included examples that needed correcting instead of those that could use repeating. Fatts Russell finished with a pair of team-highs — 18 points and four assists — in 34 turnover-free minutes.

“It’s been hard just, in general, trying to find chemistry with each other,” Russell said. “It’s a lot of new guys. We didn’t really know each other at first — where we want the ball and things like that.

“It seems like it’s coming together now. We’re getting a feel for each other. I feel like guys are getting a feel for Coach Cox. It’s time to start getting this thing rolling.”

URI (7-7, 4-3 A-10) shot a season-high 52.8% against George Mason, the fourth time this season the Rams have eclipsed the 50% mark. They’re just 2-2 in those games, and it’s no coincidence the victories came in the two games in which URI took better care of the ball. The Rams committed a combined 23 turnovers against the Patriots and South Florida while giving the ball away 36 times in losses to Richmond and Arizona State.

“You turn the ball over, it’s worse than a missed shot actually,” Cox said. “You don’t even get the shot attempt. It’s deflating to a certain degree. It does affect you at the defensive end, unfortunately.”

Duquesne (3-5, 2-4) is dealing with a different set of difficulties, losing four of its last five games and shedding three rotation regulars since its season opener against Little Rock on Nov. 30. Sincere Carry, Maceo Austin and Lamar Norman Jr. are all away from the team and likely to transfer. Carry was a preseason all-conference selection along with wing standout Marcus Weathers.

The Dukes have failed to crack 50 points in three of their last four games, including a 62-48 loss at St. Bonaventure on Friday. Michael Hughes finished with 14 points while Weathers chipped in with 12 points and nine rebounds. Tavian Dunn-Martin dished out seven assists but went just 2-for-10 from the field.
France Guigs
Tournament Admin
ESO: Guigs

Post by Guigs »

Disapointing loss for the team vs Duquesne (69-71)... After leading in the 1st half by quite a big margin (44-31 ht) our boys felt asleep in the second half.
A few stats to point out :
- After a solid defensive first half, RI defense felt off, leading to Duquesne being more and more accurate behind the 3pt line (83.3% conversion in the 2nd half compared to 25% in the first). A Duquesne team getting carried by their player Chad Baker with a clean 5/5 3pts.
- A disapointing performance from the golden boy Fatts Russell having a hard time finding his rythm in this game (3/14 fg, 1/6 3pts). We expect more from this young talent in the future.
- Mitchell Makhel being as solid as usual, 7/13 fg ; 11 reb

Next event on Wednesday January the 27th against La Salle (the game vs George Washington on the 24th has been postponed unfortunately).

@bwinner Any thoughts on this incoming clash ?
Suriname kaister
Lancer
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by kaister »

@Guigs A few points to make in addition to yours: Michael Hughes recorded 15 points and 10 rebounds to lift Duquesne to a 71-69 win over Rhode Island on Wednesday night. Giving up a double double to Hughes is not the interior defense the rams and coach David Cox were hoping for.

Makhel Mitchell had a dunk with 5:05 remaining to give Rhode Island a 67-66 lead but it was the final field goal for the Rams, who led by 17 points late in the first half. Tavian Dunn-Martin made 1 of 2 free throws for Duquesne with 17 seconds remaining and D.J. Johnson was off on a 3-pointers at the other end as time expired. At this point in his career, the junior has to knock down that shot.

Chad Baker had 19 points (including the 5 threes tete mentioned) and five assists for Duquesne (4-5, 3-4 Atlantic 10 Conference). Marcus Weathers added 12 points.

Mitchell had 16 points, 11 rebounds and three blocks for the Rams (7-8, 4-4). Fatts Russell added 13 points and six assists, and Antwan Walker had 10 points. Rhode Island lost despite having a 28-4 advantage on the offensive glass.
Skirmisher

Post by Sensei »

All it took was one critical run for the University of Rhode Island to take care of Fordham on Sunday afternoon.

The latest Atlantic 10 battle between two sets of Rams was settled late in the second half at the Ryan Center. URI controlled the final 7:11 and wiped out a thin deficit to avoid what would have been a crushing conference defeat.

Jeremy Sheppard and Ishmael Leggett powered URI from the backcourt to a 52-42 victory. The winning Rams enjoyed a 13-2 sprint to the finish after Fordham moved in front for the last time.

Sheppard closed with 16 points, nine rebounds and a lone turnover in 35 minutes. That one giveaway came on an offensive foul with 1:05 to play, and the issue was already decided. Leggett celebrated his first college start with 10 of his 12 points and six of his seven rebounds in the second half, helping URI erase what was an eight-point deficit.

“I thought we played elite defense most of the game – particularly in the second half,” URI coach David Cox said. “That was the difference in the game as we kind of found our way offensively.”

Fordham went scoreless over a 4:23 span after Jalen Cobb’s putback on the break gave the visitors a 40-39 edge. Back-to-back 3-pointers by Allen Betrand and Leggett sparked the hosts and Sheppard’s lob to Antwan Walker for a hammer dunk provided the exclamation point. Fordham connected on just one of its last nine shots while URI closed on a 5-for-7 stretch.

“We were letting them speed us up and we weren’t knocking down shots,” Sheppard said. “As long as we defended to stay in the game we knew our shots were going to come along later in the game.”

The visitors enjoyed their largest lead early in the second half. Joel Soriano tipped out a miss for an offensive rebound and Josh Navarro drained a 3-pointer from the top of the key to make it a 31-23 game. It was one of just two makes from deep for Fordham over the final 20 minutes, and the visiting Rams closed 6-for-25 overall.

“You don’t come in thinking blowout,” Cox said. “You come in thinking win. This was a team that beat Dayton and was just in a war with Davidson and has improved throughout the season. We don’t underestimate anyone.”

URI slowly began to claw its way back from there. The Rams tied things up for a second time in the half when Jermaine Harris connected on a jumper from the right elbow to make it 35-35. Leggett’s pair of free throws after a hard drive on the fast break nosed URI in front for the first time in more than 21 minutes of game action.

“He’s a freshman, but he’s not scared of anybody,” Sheppard said. “He kind of reminds me of myself when I was a freshman.”

URI (8-8, 5-4 A-10) was fresh off a disappointing loss at Duquesne on Wednesday and received another blow later in the week when Fatts Russell (core muscle injury) was ruled out. That opened the door for Leggett to make his first career start, but early foul trouble had him on the bench as Fordham maintained its lead. The visitors took a 28-23 advantage into the locker room while the hosts connected at just 9-for-28 from the field.

“That’s probably the biggest issue we had today – just running our offense fluidly,” Cox said. “We have a lot of sets and a lot of different nuances.

“(Russell has) played in my system now – this is his third season. Nobody else has had that luxury.”

Only in its Dec. 9 matchup at No. 11 Wisconsin had URI managed fewer points in a half. The Rams netted just 16 through the opening 20 minutes, and to say the Badgers and Fordham (1-7, 1-7) operate in different college basketball galaxies would be an understatement. Cobb was the only player to reach double figures for the visitors with 11 points.

@bwinner thoughts?
Great Britain Riotcoke
Retired Contributor
ECL Reigning ChampsDonator 01
ESO: Riotcoke
Clan: UwU

Post by Riotcoke »

@bwinner Thouhgts on why Fatts is shooting at 32% FG and 23% 3P this season?

twitch.tv/stangoesdeepTV
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

Jeremy Sheppard posted 16 points and nine rebounds as Rhode Island topped Fordham 52-42 on Sunday.

Ishmael Leggett had 12 points and seven rebounds for Rhode Island (8-8, 5-4 Atlantic 10 Conference), which earned its fourth consecutive home victory. Makhel Mitchell added nine rebounds and four blocks.

Jalen Cobb had 11 points and six rebounds for Fordham (1-7, 1-7), whose losing streak stretched to five games. Joel Soriano added seven rebounds.

@bwinner Fatts sat this one out, do you think the rams are better without him?
Suriname kaister
Lancer
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by kaister »

not posting my full thoughts until i see what @bwinner has to say but some things I noticed:

Jeremy Sheppard posted 16 points and nine rebounds as Rhode Island topped Fordham 52-42 on Sunday.

Ishmael Leggett had 12 points and seven rebounds for Rhode Island (8-8, 5-4 Atlantic 10 Conference), which earned its fourth consecutive home victory. Makhel Mitchell added nine rebounds and four blocks.

Jalen Cobb had 11 points and six rebounds for Fordham (1-7, 1-7), whose losing streak stretched to five games. Joel Soriano added seven rebounds.
Great Britain Riotcoke
Retired Contributor

Post by Riotcoke »

BOWLING GREEN, Ky. -- — Josh Anderson scored 15 points and Taveion made two free throws with five seconds left and Western Kentucky held off Rhode Island 68-65 on Sunday.

Rhode Island trailed by 11 with 12:51 to play but went on a 15-3 run to take a 52-51 lead with 7:21 to go. Western Kentucky was up five with 1 1/2 minutes remaining but Fatts Russell made three free throws and a layup to tie the game with 47 seconds to go.

Charles Bassey put the Hilltoppers back on top with a layup and after Jalen Carey made just one of two free throws, Hollingsworth sealed it. The Rams couldn't get off a final shot.

Hollingsworth had 14 points and seven rebounds for Western Kentucky (5-2) and Bassey added 13 points, nine rebounds and five blocks.

D.J. Johnson had 16 points for the Rams (3-4) and Russell added 14 points.

@bwinner Thoughts on the rams this season?

twitch.tv/stangoesdeepTV
Australia Hazza54321
Pro Player
Winter Champion 2020 x2Donator 01
ESO: PrinceofBabu

Post by Hazza54321 »

Im also interested on your thoughts of the performance of the patriots this season @bwinner

And the giants
France bwinner
Howdah
Donator 01
ESO: bwinner

Post by bwinner »

That's wrong
Australia Kawapasaka
ESOC Pro Team

Post by Kawapasaka »

thoughts? @bwinner
Suriname kaister
Lancer
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by kaister »

DAYTON, Ohio -- — Ibi Watson had 22 points as Dayton topped Rhode Island 67-56 on Saturday.

Jalen Crutcher had 15 points for Dayton (10-4, 6-3 Atlantic 10 Conference). Mustapha Amzil added 11 points and seven rebounds. Jordy Tshimanga had 11 points.

Watson hit back-to-back 3-pointers during a 15-0 run to start the second half as Dayton came from trailing 32-29 at the break. The Flyers held Rhode Island to a season-low 24 points in the second half.

Jeremy Sheppard had 16 points and six rebounds for the Rams (9-9, 6-5). Makhel Mitchell added 12 points. Rhode Island was held to 31% shooting in the second half (8 of 26).

Fatts Russell, the Rams' leading scorer at 15 points per game, was held to four points on 1 of 6 shooting. @bwinner
Suriname kaister
Lancer
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by kaister »

If Fatts played aoe, I feel like hed spam only japan since hes such a damn disappointment
Great Britain Riotcoke
Retired Contributor

Post by Riotcoke »

@giveuanxiety Thoughts on fatts this season?

twitch.tv/stangoesdeepTV
Great Britain Riotcoke
Retired Contributor

Post by Riotcoke »

@I_HaRRiiSoN_I Thoughts on rhody statistics going into 21/22 season?

twitch.tv/stangoesdeepTV
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

@Diarouga any idea on how fatts can break out of this slump?
United States of America GiBthedurrty
Lancer
Donator 01
Clan: YumiW

Post by GiBthedurrty »

Soccer is the biggest and most important sport on Planet Earth. Soccer is the WORLD GAME and is massive in over 240 countries. Every nation on Earth loves Soccer. Basketball is only big in less than 40 countries. Soccer more popular than basketball in every country except the Philippines, Lithuania and US. I tell you this my brothers soccer will be the number 1 sport in the United States of America by the year 2070 A.D. Soccer will be the most popular sport in every country on earth by 2100 A.D usgfw