Rhode Island hoops

This is for discussions about news, politics, sports, other games, culture, philosophy etc.
Suriname kaister
Lancer
ECL Reigning Champs
ESO: I Date My Cousin

Re: Rhode Island hoops

Post by kaister »

OOOOO SHIT ITS A10 TOURNEY TIME @bwinner. After getting a first round bye, the Rams (10th seed) play the 7th seeded Dayton Flyers. Should be excellent guard play between Fatts Russell and Jalen Crutcher. Tip is in 10 minutes from Richmond! My prediction: Rams 64 Flyers 57 @bwinner prediction: Fatts Drops 30+
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

kaister wrote:OOOOO SHIT ITS A10 TOURNEY TIME @bwinner. After getting a first round bye, the Rams (10th seed) play the 7th seeded Dayton Flyers. Should be excellent guard play between Fatts Russell and Jalen Crutcher. Tip is in 10 minutes from Richmond! My prediction: Rams 64 Flyers 57 @bwinner prediction: Fatts Drops 30+
ive got money on fatts going for 35 on 75/60/100 shooting splits. Based off his excellent season it should be ez money. @Diarouga thoughts?
United States of America n0el
ESOC Business Team
ESO: jezabob
Clan: 팀 하우스

Post by n0el »

mad cuz bad
Suriname kaister
Lancer
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by kaister »

@n0el @bwinner Fatts Russell is taking his talents to college park. can we get this thread renamed to Maryland Hoops Thread? @admin
United States of America Sensei
Skirmisher

Post by Sensei »

Former Rhode Island senior guard Daron “Fatts” Russell is transferring to the Maryland men’s basketball team, he announced Saturday, giving the Terps a proven playmaker at the point guard position for the 2021-22 season.

It’s the second high-profile get in the transfer portal for coach Mark Turgeon and his staff after former Georgetown center Qudus Wahab announced Saturday morning that he was joining the Terps.

Russell, who has twice been selected to the All-Atlantic 10 team and conference all-defensive team, will have one year of eligibility remaining as the NCAA extended an extra year for winter sports athletes as a response to the coronavirus pandemic.

Russell, a Philadelphia native who played high school basketball at Imhotep Charter with Maryland sophomore forward Donta Scott, averaged 14.7 points and 4.5 assists this past season as he was named third-team All-Atlantic 10.

Russell’s arrival should allow sophomore guard Hakim Hart, who played out of position and split point-guard duties with junior guard Eric Ayala in 2020, to move off-ball while also taking pressure off Ayala to facilitate the offense.

Maryland, which will also welcome Baltimore signees Julian Reese and Ike Cornish next season, has no remaining open scholarships for the upcoming season but more could become available as a result of transfers or players leaving early for the NBA draft.
ESOC Business Team

Post by n0el »

Fatts and Turgeon giveua115
mad cuz bad
Skirmisher

Post by Sensei »

Despite early November’s mild temperatures in New England, college basketball season is upon us. David Cox’s Rhode Island Rams men’s basketball team will begin its regular season Tuesday night at the Ryan Center against Patriot League favorite Boston University. Tip is scheduled for 7pm.

It’s an important year for the Rams as they look to bounce back after an unpredictable and uneven 2020-21 season. It’s now Cox’s team from top-to-bottom with no holdovers from the previous era. Blend that reality with increased experience and continuity across the roster – and a pandemic that appears to be softening – and there’s room for optimism in Kingston.

I caught up with Cox to touch on a variety of topics related to the program in advance of Tuesday’s tilt.

Chris DiSano: For those who may not be familiar, can you walk through the newcomers you welcome to the program?

David Cox: Let’s start with Ishmael El-Amin.

Ishmael El-Amin
I think he’s a terrific college guard. Has a great understanding of the game. He got gradually better and better throughout his Ball State career and ended his career there as an all-conference player averaging about 16 points per game. He shot the cover off the ball that year. He gives us added value as another ball handler, a guy who can shoot it, a guy with experience, and he has two traits that come directly from his father (former UConn national champion Khalid El-Amin).

He has a competitive spirit and he’s a great leader. He doesn’t mince words and is at the point in his life where he wants to win, pursue a professional career, and he knows how important it is for guys to be on the same page. He’s been a breath of fresh air in that regard.

Sebastian Thomas is a local kid we brought in with the intent of redshirting him. But he’s played so well since he’s arrived here on campus that we’re not going to go that route. It started in the summer and he has grown and grown. He has a tremendous work ethic, is a great competitor and a true point guard. I told him when I recruited him that he reminded me a lot of Jeff (Dowtin) given the pace he plays, he’s cerebral, a pass-first kid and guys like playing with him… and that has been the case. He’s advanced faster than we thought he would and it’s a good problem to have.

Abdou Samb is getting acclimated to the college game. He has a wonderful work ethic, is skilled. He missed last season which has slowed his overall development a little bit, but he’s getting good work against the twins (Makhi & Makhel Mitchell) and Antwan (Walker) on a daily basis. We are going to redshirt him this year.

Finally, while not new faces — our two, redshirt freshman – Tres Berry has been a little banged up after rolling his ankle again, but we expect him back soon. He’s a dog, a glue guy and big-time defender and competitor. He can knock down perimeter jumpers, particularly corner jumpers, he has a great lefty wingspan and a ferocious competitor spirit. He can give us value off the bench being a defensive guy and an energy guy.

The same with Ileri Ayo-Faleye… he’s tall and long and a tremendous athlete. We’re going to expect energy, high motors, and defense from both of those guys.

CDD: New addition, assistant coach Todd Bozeman, commented about the respect he has for your basketball mind in a recent interview. What does it mean to have a guy like this – with his 20+ years of experience and acumen – on your staff, and to hear those comments… it must be gratifying.

DC: Absolutely. And it was a huge pickup for this program and for me, specifically. He was a great get for us. We talk about “gets” in recruiting but he is an important add for us because of the things you mention. The experience he brings, his ability to effectively communicate with players and staff. He’s a fun guy to be around, he’s a basketball guy who loves the game… and we have some connections back to the DC area in coaching AAU together. I was supposed to take my first college job for him when he was at Morgan State and ended up going to Pittsburgh instead. I have a tremendous amount of respect for him and always have.

When I was young, he was the youngest black coach that I had ever seen in my lifetime to coach at that high level, so you can imagine when I was 18, 20 years old how he was one of the guys I looked up to. I got to meet him and we crossed paths, started working together and have been in touch since. It made sense. We know each other and I know he has my back. And I get to bring him back home to Rhody and that gives him an even extra boost of energy. It’s been great.

CD: Many coaches talk about how it helps teams when they can play for a senior. Do you subscribe to that notion and, when you have a guy like Jeremy Sheppard, do you see the guys coalescing around him? It might be only his second year playing but his third year with the program and he’s a massive part of the mix.

DC: Yes, he’s a great talent so when we talk about the fact that he’s been in school – we kind of refer to him as Uncle Shep sometimes (laughs) – he’s an older, young man who has had a lot of different experiences from ECU to JUCO to here… and he’s a super talent who guys enjoy playing with as well. He has a very efficient game. His leadership now has had to grow because he’s a very tough competitor but a quiet young man. We’ve talked about it over the last year or so and he’s worked on that and begun to come out of his shell – and guys are responding to him the right way.

CD: Do you see him being more vocal across the board – on the floor, in the huddle, in other areas? Where do you see it coming out?

DC: Yes, he’s coming out everywhere and I’m glad you asked that question. First it started to trickle out on the floor, then in post practice huddles, then the film room, weight room – and when we hit lulls in practice he has not been shy about trying to motivate the guys; it’s coming out in spurts now.

CD: Let’s talk about a guy who made some great strides last year. It’s huge that Makhi is healthy again and primed to be a big contributor – but Makhel was a guy who was a bit of an enigma when he arrived. He ended up having a terrific year last year. How gratifying was that for you and the staff from a player development perspective and what do you expect this year, beginning against BU?

DC: He’ll assume an even bigger role because we now know what he’s capable of… and he continued to work throughout the summer. It’s good for him, his confidence – he’s played a lot of second fiddle and been injured quite a bit, so for him to have the opportunity to play… I’m sure he looked forward to playing with Makhi as he does this year… but he had the opportunity to be out there on his own and he grew and matured. His game continued to develop. He’s coming into the year this year with a lot of confidence.

CD: From a continuity standpoint, what gains do you see with a more traditional offseason and greater experience – to a man – within the program itself?

DC: The system that I run, this hybrid Princeton-like system, it takes a while to figure out the pattern and then once you figure that out, you have to start using your brain and making reads. That usually takes more than a year and it’s hard to bring in a whole bunch of new pieces. And you have to have buy-in. Last year, perfect storm… we probably had too many new players, probably didn’t have the buy-in that I needed to make it work, from all players on the floor at all times. It’s much different now. We have buy-in, belief in the system, comfort in the system, and now they’re picking it apart and finding tweaks to it on their own. That’s been rewarding to see.

CD: Let’s shift to defense. I know you spoke on the recent Coach’s Show that you’d like to press more this year. You think to past VCU teams that pressed to turn over other teams. We also know there are other reasons to press be it tempo, etc. Is there a signature to the press identity this year?

DC: In general – and this goes back to the tremendous amount of success we had a few years back – we’d go man-to-man, pressure defense 94 feet and it wasn’t to steal the ball but it was to wear teams down. Yes, you could be disruptive and possibly force some turnovers, but more than anything the constant pressure wears teams down. It takes them out of their rhythm. What we noticed was even the teams that shot the ball well, once they got the open look as the game progressed, their legs weren’t underneath them. I want to get back to that. We have guards who are more than capable of wearing teams, eating a little clock, dictating pace, and turnovers would be the icing. We’ll probably mix in a ¾ zone press as well to add a little wrinkle.

CD: Now that you’ve been a head coach in the A-10 for a few years, what perhaps is something you’ve developed a greater appreciation for by being in that chair?

DC: I’ve gained a whole different level of respect for the level of coaching – even as an assistant coach, but now that I’m out there as the head coach and seeing the in-game adjustments… a lot of little tweaks here and there. Those nuances and matching them… the coaching is at such a high level. There are a number of guys who can coach anywhere.

CD: What do you want to see carried into the regular season after having one scrimmage and one exhibition to date?

DC: Offensive execution and particularly the sharing of the basketball. That’s been refreshing to see throughout the preseason. We’re actively trying to share the ball and get the best shot in each possession. They’re trusting and embracing the offense even more. With that being said, I have to point out that we need to get a hold of the turnover issue. We’ve got to tighten up on that.

CD: Let’s end on the Ryan Center atmosphere… you were in there last year hearing only sneakers squeak… what’s it going to be like?

DC: I’m so excited. Our whole team is excited and it’s like Christmas Eve here for our guys. The fan base brings energy and enthusiasm and we missed them. It’ll be great to have them back.
Skirmisher

Post by Sensei »

What is everyone's prediction for tonight's game? @bwinnner @Diarouga
Attachments
rhodyrhodyrhodyramsramsrams.PNG
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

Interesting to see what's gonna happen without Fatts. Anyway I'm taking the Rhodes at -35.5.
Suriname kaister
Lancer
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by kaister »

The University of Rhode Island Rams tipoff the upcoming 2021-22 season Tuesday night against the Boston University Terriers. The Rams are looking to rebound (ooooh, a basketball pun @diarouga72 ) after a disastrous 10-15 season the previous year. As David Cox stated after Thursday night’s exhibition win over JWU, “We are reclaiming our culture.” To reclaim their culture, they will need to get the win against regional foe (& the Projo’s Bill Koch’s alma mater) Boston University. This is the first time in ten years that they have faced off against one another. The Terriers, who are the preseason pick to win their conference, are led by Joe Jones, who enters his 11th season at the helm. The key to stopping this team will be shutting down Javante McCoy. This 6’5” guard is the Patriot League preseason player of the year who averaged 16.1 points, 4.6 rebounds, 2.2 assists & shot almost 50% from the field. Along with McCoy, they have another preseason all-league player in Walter Whyte. This 6’6” G/F put up numbers (13.5 points & 6.8 rebounds per game) that would make even Heisenberg proud. As will be the case with most of this out of conference schedule, Rhody’s size down low with the Mitchell twins & Antwan Walker should be too much for most teams. Throw in freshman forward Ileri Ayo-Faleye (if he plays), they should have an advantage in the frontcourt. Hopefully Sheppard gets his shot back in this game as he shot quite poorly in URI’s exhibition game. I am looking forward to what the 2 Ishmaels do in this game & how much time will they spend on the court together. My prediction is that this will be a double-digit win for URI but not quite as exorbitant as their win more than a century ago over BU in February of 1909 when they won 80-8( @bwinner 's grandfather started this game for URI). After playing a tight first half, Rhody pulls away & wins this one 73-61. Go Rhody!
Suriname kaister
Lancer
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by kaister »

@[Armag] diarouga just sent me his prediction, 81-73 Rams
Skirmisher

Post by Sensei »

SOUTH KINGSTOWN — There was a path to an in-state stunner Friday night, and Bryant was very much on it.

Until Rhode Island blocked it.

After the Bulldogs hit nine 3-pointers in the opening half and took a lead early in the second half, the University of Rhode Island men's basketball team clamped down on its neighbors to the north and pulled away for an 83-64 victory at the Ryan Center.

A nearly nine-minute field goal drought by Bryant paved the way for the Rams to take control midway through the second half. They outscored the Bulldogs 24-4 in that span and were never threatened once they got the lead.

“I told them at halftime that team was extremely confident and they were going to come out here with a plan to beat us, and it was a good thing,” URI coach David Cox said. “We were going to have to respond. It was a good early test, playing against a confident team like that. I thought the team played together. I thought they trusted each other, particularly at the defensive end.”

The game was a home-site matchup in the Sunshine Slam event, which will take both teams to Daytona Beach, Florida, Nov. 20-21. It doubled as a fun Ocean State matchup, the second between URI and Bryant in the last four seasons. (In 2018 — debuts for both Cox and Bryant coach Jared Grasso — the Rams won 97-63.)

Much has changed for the Bulldogs in the years since, and Friday night there was never a doubt that they belonged on the same court with the Rams, even though the game ultimately slipped away. Bryant put up the fight with two of its top players, Peter Kiss (violation of team policy) and Greg Calixte (flu), sidelined.

“We ran out of gas a little bit,” Grasso said. “We struggled shooting the ball late. I thought my guys competed hard. We were a little undermanned today. I would have loved to play this game with a full team. Unfortunately, we had what we had and a lot of times we were really small. But credit to URI. They kind of physically out-toughed us in the second half. They dug in and guarded.”

URI’s defense exerted control again, just as it did in the season-opening win over Boston University. Bryant made only two shots from inside the arc in the first half but hit on 9 of 25 3-pointers, taking advantage of an active URI defense to find open shots off drives and offensive rebounds. The Bulldogs tallied an assist on each of their 11 first-half buckets.

The second half featured far fewer open looks. Bryant shot just 23% from the field after halftime and made only 3 of 14 3-pointers, as URI put the emphasis on sticking with shooters.

“We wanted to stay home on the shooters a little more, stay in those gaps. We had to stay in front of the basketball, couldn’t over-help as much,” Cox said. “We felt like if we just stayed with it and kept the pressure up — didn’t give them clean looks — we would eventually wear them down. I think you’ve got to give these guards a lot of credit for putting the pressure on and the big guys for defending the paint.”

Charles Pride scored a game-high 25 points for Bryant and carried his team early in the second half, scoring its first 12 points. Ishmael Leggett kept URI afloat during that stretch with two 3-pointers.

Pride’s 3-pointer with 15:10 left put the Bulldogs up 49-46. It would be their last field goal until the 6:20 mark. They missed 15 consecutive shots.

A driving layup by Sebastian Thomas started a 6-0 burst, which also included a runner by Leggett that gave URI the lead and a jumper in the lane by Malik Martin. Ishmael El-Amin scored on the break, Thomas hit a 3-pointer and Makhel Mitchell drilled a jumper from the elbow as the Rams began to pull away. A 3-pointer by Jeremy Sheppard bumped the lead into double digits, where it remained for the rest of the night.

“The first half, they punched us in the mouth,” Leggett said. “The main thing we talked about at halftime was setting the tone. At first, it didn’t go our way. After those few minutes went by, we settled into the game and made the punch we needed.”

Makhel Mitchell led four Rams in double figures with 17 points. Makhi Mitchell had a double-double with 13 points and 18 rebounds despite foul trouble. Leggett added 13 points, and Sheppard finished with 10. Antwan Walker and Malik Martin both had nine off the bench. In his second game as a Ram, Thomas scored seven and impressed the coaching staff with his defensive pressure.

Turnovers loomed on the negative side again. The Rams finished with 19 giveaways after losing 17 in the season opener, though they did up their assist total to 15. They also shot 50% from the field, while hitting 5 of 13 from 3-point range.

“I thought we shared the ball really well at the offensive end. We didn’t force many shots tonight,” Cox said. “Too many turnovers, but we do play with a lot of freedom. I let the guys play with a lot of freedom and that usually bodes well for their confidence. We’ll address the turnover issues, but I thought they shared the ball well, stepped into shots confidently and had a great team effort that second half, on both ends of the floor.”

For Bryant, Adham Eleeda scored 11 points, and Chris Childs finished with 10.

The tests get tougher for Bryant, with a trip to Clemson coming next.

“My kids played hard,” Grasso said. “We’re going to be fine. It’s November 12th. We have a long ways to go. We’re going to get a lot better. I’d like to play this game again in March, when we have a full team and we have five months with these guys. We’re still evolving. We’re nowhere near where we’re going to be. We’ve had guys in and out — couple of suspensions, couple of injuries, couple of guys sick. We’re still finding ourselves in a lot of ways, but I like this group. They’re tough. They competed.”

URI hosts Boston College next Wednesday, and will head into its toughest matchup yet with a 2-0 record.

“This is a really great team effort, a great battle,” Cox said. “I’ve got to give Jared and Bryant a ton of credit. They are a tough team to play against because of the pace and the many 3s that they shoot. I thought we showed up in the second half in a big-time way and came out of here with the really solid victory.”
ESOC Business Team

Post by n0el »

What about Fatts?
mad cuz bad
ESOC Business Team

Post by n0el »

College Park, Md. — Eric Ayala and Fatts Russell each scored 22 points, and No. 21 Maryland rallied Saturday to defeat Vermont 68-57.

Ben Shungu scored a career-high 27 points and Isaiah Powell added 14 points and 11 rebounds for the Catamounts (1-1), who have not defeated a Big Ten team since 1977.

Maryland forward Julian Reese (10) goes to the basket for a layup against Vermont guard Kameron Gibson.

Maryland is off to a 3-0 start for the eighth consecutive season after allowing just eight points in the final 8:57.

“I’ve been doing this a long time, and that last 10 minutes was as good as one of my teams has ever played defensively,” Maryland coach Mark Turgeon said. “I’ve had a lot of good defensive teams, and that was something else.”

The Terrapins trailed by nine in the first half and 39-32 early in the second before Ian Martinez’s 3-pointer finished a 12-2 run that gave them the lead for good with 12:48 left.

Maryland struggled to fully put away Vermont until late. Ayala and Russell combined for nine points during a 10-0 run in the final minutes to push the lead to 13.

Shungu scored 20 points in the first half, including a pair of 3-pointers in the final minute to give the Catamounts a 36-32 lead at the break.

“He got going in the first half,” Ayala said. “I came in at halftime and was telling the guys, ‘If we stop him, we win the game.’ He had most of their points in the first half and I think he got tired. In the second half, we were wearing him down.”

Maryland also went with a somewhat smaller lineup, as center Qudus Wahab played only eight scoreless minutes after the break.

That had a trickle-down effect of allowing the Terps to repeatedly switch defenders on to Shungu.

“They were really building a wall in transition against Benny, and even in the halfcourt they had guys one pass away that were really squeezed in on him and made everything difficult for him,” Vermont coach John Becker said.

Vermont forward Ryan Davis had eight points on 3-of-12 shooting. Davis was last season’s America East player of the year but missed the Catamounts’ opening victory Thursday at Northern Iowa.
mad cuz bad
Skirmisher

Post by Sensei »

Fatts may be one of the most intriguing prospects in the 2022 NBA draft
Skirmisher

Post by Sensei »

A strong offensive performance in the first half followed by a lockdown defensive showing in the second half paved the way for Rhode Island to beat Boston College 57-49 Wednesday.

The Rams (3-0) were 15-of-27 (55.6 percent) in the first 20 minutes, including 5-for-11 from 3-point range. With Makhi Mitchell shooting a perfect 4-for-4 from the floor, Ishmael El-Amin added seven points and Jeremy Sheppard scoring six, Rhode Island built a nine-point lead by halftime.

The second half played differently, as the Rams relied on its defense. With Makhel Mitchell serving as the rim-protecting anchor, Rhode Island blocked eight shots after halftime. Boston College (3-1) was just 5-for-27 from the floor in the second half. Despite shooting 4-for-16 itself, Rhode Island never relinquished its lead.
Suriname kaister
Lancer
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by kaister »

https://gorhody.com/news/2021/11/16/men ... eston.aspx

Sad day for the Rhody hoops program, as former Ram Ryan Preston has passed. RIP <3.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Post by fightinfrenchman »

kaister wrote:https://gorhody.com/news/2021/11/16/men ... eston.aspx

Sad day for the Rhody hoops program, as former Ram Ryan Preston has passed. RIP <3.
Cringe double post
Dromedary Scone Mix is not Alone Mix
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Post by fightinfrenchman »

You can delete the double post but I still saw it
Dromedary Scone Mix is not Alone Mix
United States of America minimoult21
Dragoon
ESO: minimoult21

Post by minimoult21 »

Where it all began....It's unfortunate timing or else I'd be there to help the legacy live on.
Attachments
URI HOops.JPG
minimoult21 represents a relative unknown.
Skirmisher

Post by Sensei »

For the second time in a week, the Eagles faced off against the URI Rhodys in the “Losers Bracket” in the Sunshine Slam tournament in Daytona Beach. Needless to say, the trip down south did not fair well for the Eagles as they dropped both of their matchups with the second one coming today at the hands of the URI.

The first half seemed very deja vu to the first game of the season the Eagles played against URI where BC’s offense was completely stuffed by a sturdy Rhody’s defense. The Eagles simply could not find any offensive production and were consistently turning the ball over finishing with 10 turnovers in the first half. Passing was sloppy as the Eagles were not playing team ball with them only recording 3 assists in the entire half. They were also unsuccessful at closing out the perimeter as URI’s Antwan Walker came off the bench going 100% from the field including two momentum sealing threes.

As mentioned, it was frustrating not seeing any BC player step up on the offensive end and take control as Demarr Langford was the only one who could seem to get going early but finished as the leading scorer for the Eagles in the first with seven points. All-in-all, things were shaping up to be a similar to the contest earlier in the week as the Eagles were only able to score 24 first half points. Fortunately, the Eagles were able to keep the game in reach with their defense holding URI to 34 points going to the locker room.

The second half saw a little more of urgency coming from the Eagles. James Karnik was the first one to get things going for the Eagles as he was able to muscle his way into the paint for some solid put-backs as well draining a clutch three from the perimeter. Unfortunately for the Eagles, every time the team could sniff out an opportunity to take the lead URI was able to answer with a few clutch shots of their own. BC was able to close the gap down to as little as 5 points before URI’s Ishmael El-Amin and Jeremy Sheppard were able to get hot from deep and drain some momentum stalling three pointer. I will give credit to the Eagles as they did try to claw their way back even when things looked bleak with Jaeden Zackery responding to URI’s fight to close with a few threes of his own on his way to a team high 19 points. Nonetheless, it was little to late as URI had built a nice cushion throughout the game to be able to escape out of the stadium with a win.
Suriname kaister
Lancer
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by kaister »

fightinfrenchman wrote:You can delete the double post but I still saw it
did you see this?!?!?!? For the second time in less than a week, Rhode Island defeated Boston College, this time taking down the Eagles 71-65 in the final game of the Sunshine Slam.

The Rams shot a season-high 51.2 percent from the floor and connected at a 52.4 percent clip from three-point territory, hitting 11-of-21 from beyond the perimeter. Four different players scored in double figures for the third time this season as Jeremy Sheppard and Antwan Walker each registered 15 points while Ishmael El-Amin and Malik Martin finished with 11 each.

Boston College jumped out to an early lead, but a 3-pointer by Antwan Walker put Rhody ahead 7-6 and the Rams never trailed again. Another trey by Walker gave URI its largest lead of the half (13 points; 34-21) with just over a minute remaining in the period, but BC got a three of its own to cut Rhody's lead to 10 heading into the break.

The Rams led by as many as 15 (44-29) early in the second half, but BC outscored URI 14-2 over the next five minutes to make it a one-possession game at 46-43. That was as close as it got though, as Rhody pushed the lead back to nine points and kept the Eagles at arm's length the rest of the way.