Architecture thread

This is for discussions about news, politics, sports, other games, culture, philosophy etc.
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Architecture thread

Post by Dolan »

Post pics of architecture you like/dislike and comment why you like/dislike.

Notre Dame du Haut, a chapel designed by Le Corbusier and built in 1955, in France. Normally, I don't like modernism in architecture and I think Le Corbu's influence in architecture was terrible. To give you an idea how terrible, his ideas on building the city like "a machine for living" had a major influence on Communist architecture, which spawned those grey and ugly concrete apartment buildings that are so common in Eastern Europe.
However, I think this work by Le Corbu is one of the few times when modernism got it right.

Exterior

Interior

Seasonal lighting intake

What I like about this building:
- despite being a borderline modernist building, it avoids the typical boxy shapes
- it has a slight prehistoric, monolithic appearance
- the windows pattern, which seem random, but Le Corbu claimed were calculated based on the Golden Ratio
- it looks like the product of some alien metaphysical cult, but it's actually a Catholic chapel

What I dislike:
- the tower structure which looks like an industrial silo

Anyway, post pics of architecture you found living or eyeworthy.
No Flag Djigit
Howdah

Re: Architecture thread

Post by Djigit »

Interesting thread.
It looks indeed like a dolmen. Still an absolute eyesore to my conservative taste, like all his works.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Post by fightinfrenchman »

Dromedary Scone Mix is not Alone Mix
Denmark voigt1240
Lancer
ESO: voigt

Post by voigt1240 »

I have always been a little warm on this old local halftimbered brickhouse.

What really sells it for me is the handcrafted wooden pieces that each represents a different craft.

Half stone bond with scraped joints.

Might be a little dull in the colors, but it is a well crafted building with some beautiful details.
Attachments
svendborg-2494072_1920.jpg
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

@Djigit
Yesh, le Corbu's works are mostly horrible, soulless industrial boxes, sometimes with a few panes of colour thrown in there to make the building look like it's not really a decommissioned prison.

I mean

There is an explanation for this, thou. All these modernistic architects were coming after centuries, or even two millennia, of nonstop curvy, sculptured architecture overloaded with embellishments, sometimes to the point of stomach sickness.
Is there anything that classical architects didn't put on a building as ornament: stone grapes, stone mermaids, stone flowers, stone angels, stone men and women, stone geometrical patterns, everything that was in nature was set in stone on a moffo classical building.
It was reaching weeb levels of qtness and fantasy. Eventually, they said: fug this, we've had it with the fruits and all that tinsel crap on buildings, let's kill all ornament and create a new style, that reduces everything down to geometrical planes, something that reflects this new age of science and machines and blablablah.
And that's how Corbu and the other master of minimalistic boredom, Mies van der Rohe, came up with these boxes. They thought "less is more", if we build the simplest forms, this means we are saying more than it shows.

But what happened is that, like any past trend, eventually it was adopted by less talented mainstream normies and became a parody and a recipe for building Commie neighbourhoods, because it was cheaper.

@fightinfrenchman lul

@voigt1240
Yeh, half-timbered buildings are an old European tradition, especially in Germanic countries, but it goes way back even to ancient Rome. They found some of them even in Pompeii, that used timber logs to uphold the structure.
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

Maison Heler Metz, by Philippe Starck
Basically an Alsatian rustic house plopped on top of a 14-floor tower building.
Some sort of metaphor for uprooted roots elevated on top of a modernist glass-and-steel box.

The view from that top mansion must be pretty good ngl.

I kinda liked the idea of building a castle-like house on top of a platform, like a fortress. But the elevation of the base should have stopped at 2 storeys.
This is a hotel project, it needed to make more money per constructed footprint, so it went with a taller structure.
Which makes the outome more cringe than interesting. It should have stopped right at what the first pic shows.
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

bruhhh
al wakrah stadium in qatar
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Post by fightinfrenchman »

Looks like shit
Dromedary Scone Mix is not Alone Mix
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

Yeah
Latvia harcha
Gendarme
ESO: hatamoto_samurai

Post by harcha »

bruh are the people supposed to cross that mile of asphalt by foot in a summers day?
POC wrote:Also I most likely know a whole lot more than you.
POC wrote:Also as an objective third party, and near 100% accuracy of giving correct information, I would say my opinions are more reliable than yours.
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

harcha wrote:bruh are the people supposed to cross that mile of asphalt by foot in a summers day?
Yea, teams are getting their warm-up by just walking up to the stadium.
No Flag Djigit
Howdah

Post by Djigit »

tight
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

Architect's eye-popping 688ft-tall New York space-age skyscraper

More terrible mammoth glass and steel structures.
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

these things never get built

doesn't look like it's commissioned, just an architect doing online marketing

also, I can't imagine a more complicated curtain wall ngl
No Flag lejend
Jaeger

Post by lejend »

Imagine trying to fly a plane into that building and accidentally flying through it instead
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

deleted_user wrote:I can't imagine a more complicated curtain wall ngl
Maybe a Calabi–Yau manifold.

But this kind of shapes is completely impractical for habitation.
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

lejend wrote:Imagine trying to fly a plane into that building and accidentally flying through it instead
I was wondering the same, about the implications of trying to see if fuel can melt steel beams in such a shape.
Kiribati princeofcarthage
Retired Contributor

Post by princeofcarthage »

This
Attachments
This not only looks awesome but is designed to avoid flooding and hurricanes. It has survived 2 high intensity hurricanes
This not only looks awesome but is designed to avoid flooding and hurricanes. It has survived 2 high intensity hurricanes
Fine line to something great is a strange change.
Retired Contributor

What is impressive is that this building is supposedly in North Korea
Attachments
ato.jpeg
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

princeofcarthage wrote:This
Normally, I think any structure made of reinforced concrete with proper pillars should withstand a hurricane without any serious structural damage.
Having an aerodynamic shape would reduce the force of the wind mass that would collide against the house, though.
Canada Jam
Jaeger
ESO: Hyperactive Jam

Post by Jam »

Dolan wrote:Architect's eye-popping 688ft-tall New York space-age skyscraper

More terrible mammoth glass and steel structures.
Why would you deliberately decrease the square footage of an office building.
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

@Jam
Dunno, maybe those who have the money to invest in such a project (if it gets built, it might be just a demo) think that having an eye-catching building design gives your company prestige and it promotes the brand. The more striking and unique the design, the more it would be likely for people to take selfies with it, for the media to feature it as a defining landmark in a city, etc. Eventually it would create mindshare among the public, everyone would know "yeah, that's company X's headquarters" or they could even use it as a meeting venue.

This could have a pull effect on local rent prices and the owners could charge more for office space that previously was cheaper in the same area.
Latvia harcha
Gendarme
ESO: hatamoto_samurai

Post by harcha »

I feel like that melting building would create lenses and melt things. Also that ruff is completely unrealistic as it is not accessible and doesn't house any lightning drain structures.
POC wrote:Also I most likely know a whole lot more than you.
POC wrote:Also as an objective third party, and near 100% accuracy of giving correct information, I would say my opinions are more reliable than yours.
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

harcha wrote:I feel like that melting building would create lenses and melt things. Also that ruff is completely unrealistic as it is not accessible and doesn't house any lightning drain structures.
To this day this is my favorite bit of architecture trivia. How can one forget to consider that the glass building might function as a giant lens that will literally burn cars and shit.
Retired Contributor

RefluxSemantic wrote:
harcha wrote:I feel like that melting building would create lenses and melt things. Also that ruff is completely unrealistic as it is not accessible and doesn't house any lightning drain structures.
To this day this is my favorite bit of architecture trivia. How can one forget to consider that the glass building might function as a giant lens that will literally burn cars and shit.
Cuz things like that had never happened before. It is easier to say in hindsight but you also would have likely made the same mistake if you were in his shoes.