European Super League

This is for discussions about news, politics, sports, other games, culture, philosophy etc.
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Re: European Super League

Post by RefluxSemantic »

Wait, are you saying that its good that top teams get to be favored and get to buy all the best players? If thats your point then you really dont understand the football culture.

And you are then also completely oblivious of the current state of football, where top teams already buy all the best players.
Great Britain InsectPoison
Lancer

Post by InsectPoison »

ITT: People who don't have a clue about football culture in Europe and what it's about
Great Britain Riotcoke
Retired Contributor
ECL Reigning ChampsDonator 01
ESO: Riotcoke
Clan: UwU

Post by Riotcoke »

Who would have thought that the shitters who have no clue about football think this isn't a bad idea.

twitch.tv/stangoesdeepTV
Austria knusch
Pro Player
EWTDonator 01

Post by knusch »

gibson wrote:
RefluxSemantic wrote:
gibson wrote:Also, super league is a great idea and I’m not sure why it’s taken so long for something like this to happen.
It already exists.. but in a form where you actually get to qualify for it rather than just giving 15 priviledged teams tickets. Thats why it took so long for this to happen, because a better implementation already exists.
The difference is now if you have some small market team who’s usually pretty shitty, but happens to actually build a good team, instead of being able to move up, a super league team will now just poach their best players. So players will move up instead of teams, which is better overall unless you happen to live in a tiny town with a shit team that starts to get good.
how is this better overall?

the sole purpose of it is the self interest of a selected few clubs to monopolize their standing forever eliminating any risk and possibility of losing money due to lack of success in a sports competition.
selected not by merit in terms of achievments in their respective leagues but simply coz they "brands"
Kiribati princeofcarthage
Retired Contributor

Post by princeofcarthage »

RefluxSemantic wrote:Why not though? Why are you not allowed to set your own criteria that make people eligible to be in your tournament?
Because UEFA and FIFA are using their market position to block competition. Imagine google which has a dominant position in mail now saying that you can't use anything other than GMail or you will lose access to your mail. They may get away with abusing their market position because people won't have immediate options but people are gonna leave sooner or later. Similarly smaller clubs might favor these decisions as these help them today but tomorrow when they will be in similar position as MU or FCB? Now the whole world knows what kind of organizations UEFA and FIFA are. They really are the disgrace to football.
Fine line to something great is a strange change.
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

If Uefa is trying to block competition, then arent those other teams doing that but worse?
Retired Contributor

How so? They are not pulling out of champions league or world cup. They are not threatening to ban players. They are simply creating more content for people cuz they believe there is still space in market for that to happen. It is a win-win for fans and clubs. Fans get to watch more of their favourite teams and players and clubs get an alternate source of revenue, something which is already dwindling due to no in-person attendance. Not to mention potential of thousands of corresponding jobs it will create. They are not blocking other clubs from creating their own tournament or playing their own games. It isn't their fault if there is no market or interest in content of these other clubs.
Austria knusch
Pro Player
EWTDonator 01

Post by knusch »

princeofcarthage wrote:How so? They are not pulling out of champions league or world cup. They are not threatening to ban players. They are simply creating more content for people cuz they believe there is still space in market for that to happen. It is a win-win for fans and clubs. Fans get to watch more of their favourite teams and players and clubs get an alternate source of revenue, something which is already dwindling due to no in-person attendance. Not to mention potential of thousands of corresponding jobs it will create. They are not blocking other clubs from creating their own tournament or playing their own games. It isn't their fault if there is no market or interest in content of these other clubs.
they r pulling out of the champions league. they wont play domestic league + cups, championsleague and on top of that a european superleague duh....

all they wont is a bigger piece of the pie for themselfes.
Retired Contributor

I dont think they ever said they would be pulling out of those tournaments. That would be stupidity and outrage will follow. They know it.
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

princeofcarthage wrote:I dont think they ever said they would be pulling out of those tournaments. That would be stupidity and outrage will follow. They know it.
But they did. I explained this already, but let me say it again: there is no room for another tournament. The calendar is full. They can only physically play 2 games per week and the club I support has been doing so the entire year (one game was postponed due to snow and it was really hard to even find a time to play it, I believe they still havent).

Its instead of the champions league. You are right though, it is stupidity and an outrage does follow - all people who know their shit in this thread are outraged and the Uefa is outraged. So I suppose now that you are actually up to date you agree with the rest of us.
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

I just read rumours that they are removing Real Madrid, Chelsea and Man City from the CL this season.
https://www.voetbalzone.nl/doc.asp?uid=387262

Sorry for dutch link, hopefully google translate does a decent job
Retired Contributor

RefluxSemantic wrote:
princeofcarthage wrote:I dont think they ever said they would be pulling out of those tournaments. That would be stupidity and outrage will follow. They know it.
But they did. I explained this already, but let me say it again: there is no room for another tournament. The calendar is full. They can only physically play 2 games per week and the club I support has been doing so the entire year (one game was postponed due to snow and it was really hard to even find a time to play it, I believe they still havent).

Its instead of the champions league. You are right though, it is stupidity and an outrage does follow - all people who know their shit in this thread are outraged and the Uefa is outraged. So I suppose now that you are actually up to date you agree with the rest of us.
Not really. Even if it were true that those clubs pulled out of CL, it is their choice whether to play or not. Just cuz UEFA doesn't want its prized stallion to leave, doesn't mean it can infringe upon its choices and will.
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

It doesnt really infringe on choices though. Its just choosing to not bother giving out prize money to clubs and players actively undermining the integrity of the sport. Because thats what it is ultimately all about.
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

I like how you state that they arent pulling out of the champions league because it would be stupid and people would be outraged, and then when someone points out that that is what they are doing and that people are outraged, you suddenly conclude that its just their choice so whatever.
Retired Contributor

I said "Even if" cuz it is based on your assumption and not factual statement. Regardless of what you think it is their choice. Do you think it would be fair if as a player you were forced to play for certain club that you don't want and have no obligation too?
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

Its not a what if. You cant physically be both in the champions lesgue and this european super league. Its not possible.

Unlike you I actually know my shit. I actually follow football news on a daily basis. I feel like it'd be appropriate for you to realize that you're just talking out of your ass and to just shut up. Ofc thats not really your style, is it?
Great Britain InsectPoison
Lancer

Post by InsectPoison »

princeofcarthage wrote:I said "Even if" cuz it is based on your assumption and not factual statement. Regardless of what you think it is their choice. Do you think it would be fair if as a player you were forced to play for certain club that you don't want and have no obligation too?
You clearly don't know shit about football. its not possible for them to play in the champions league if they make a super league because both are mid-week games. Do you just argue for the sake of argueing?
Vietnam duckzilla
Jaeger

Post by duckzilla »

princeofcarthage wrote:
RefluxSemantic wrote:

Not really. Even if it were true that those clubs pulled out of CL, it is their choice whether to play or not. Just cuz UEFA doesn't want its prized stallion to leave, doesn't mean it can infringe upon its choices and will.
Taking these two comments of yours, I see that you share our opinion. You simply say: this is an outrageous choice. We share your sentiment and do not want a Super League to happen. Thanks for the discussion.
Whatever is written above: this is no financial advice.

Beati pauperes spiritu.
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

InsectPoison wrote:
princeofcarthage wrote:I said "Even if" cuz it is based on your assumption and not factual statement. Regardless of what you think it is their choice. Do you think it would be fair if as a player you were forced to play for certain club that you don't want and have no obligation too?
You clearly don't know shit about football. its not possible for them to play in the champions league if they make a super league because both are mid-week games. Do you just argue for the sake of argueing?
I just checked, and if you include international games my club Ajax (active in league, cup and Europa league - though unfortunately knocked out now) played 27 games in 2021, and had one cancelled game so 28 total. With 2 games per week, they could have played max 30 games. 2 games per week is simply the maximum. And this isn't even the same as for the BPL which has 20 teams instead of the 18 teams in the Dutch competition. The entire schedule is full, you simply can't participate in both the EPL and the CL. It's not possible. It's not even legal as the UEFA requires at least 2 days of rest between matches.
Retired Contributor

duckzilla wrote:
princeofcarthage wrote:
Show hidden quotes
Taking these two comments of yours, I see that you share our opinion. You simply say: this is an outrageous choice. We share your sentiment and do not want a Super League to happen. Thanks for the discussion.
You are forcing it to not happen, there is a difference.
Germany blackout
Dragoon

Post by blackout »

A lot of good points already made why this superleague is complete bullshit.

Another point is that a closed super league with a fixed number of teams which cant be relegated is just against the principle of sport itself.
Sure in the championsleague as it is or was they were most of the times the same big and rich clubs playing in the last rounds but in theory even my team (mainz 05) could qualify for the competition if they would have a good season.
That's the basic thing in sport. When u are good and doing a good job u can get to the very top. Thats not possible anymore with a superleague and if u dont have some rich guy from katar or a hedgefond from the usa in your back.
There is and was also alot of things wrong in the current state of european football which is complex af. The way how the teams who were doing good in championsleague for a couple of years in a row like real, bayern juve etc. were just getting so much more money then the rest of the teams from their leagues for example or that certain countries got 4 starting places while other smaller countries needed to play qualifiers. But these problems could have been fixed in the championsleague/europaleague system imo
Retired Contributor

But that's the thing though. Super league isn't much different that what currently exists except that it doesn't fall under unified governing agency. Take Europa cup for ex. It is also a closed a competition limited to only European clubs. Asian or American clubs can never participate. The outrage is simply due to traditional way of doing things is being changed and that certain pockets are getting lighter. I don't expect UEFA or FiFa to win in court.
Great Britain Riotcoke
Retired Contributor

Post by Riotcoke »

princeofcarthage wrote:But that's the thing though. Super league isn't much different that what currently exists except that it doesn't fall under unified governing agency. Take Europa cup for ex. It is also a closed a competition limited to only European clubs. Asian or American clubs can never participate. The outrage is simply due to traditional way of doing things is being changed and that certain pockets are getting lighter. I don't expect UEFA or FiFa to win in court.
Seriously I've never seen a post by you that's actually useful. You obviously don't understand football in the slightest.

twitch.tv/stangoesdeepTV
Retired Contributor

Maybe, maybe you are right but we are not talking about football are we. This is politics in football plain and simple and nothing to do with an actual game of football.
Great Britain Riotcoke
Retired Contributor

Post by Riotcoke »

We are talking about football.

twitch.tv/stangoesdeepTV