European Super League

This is for discussions about news, politics, sports, other games, culture, philosophy etc.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Re: European Super League

Post by fightinfrenchman »

RefluxSemantic wrote:You seriously don't understand what football means to the people here. I'm sorry.
I don't actually have an opinion on anything of this but this post has strong Euro energy, in a cringe way
Dromedary Scone Mix is not Alone Mix
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

Its just really hard to explain the significance of football in European culture.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

RefluxSemantic wrote:Its just really hard to explain the significance of football in European culture.
Brits liking this post genuinely makes me laugh out loud
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

TIL the British are not Europeans
Great Britain InsectPoison
Lancer

Post by InsectPoison »

fightinfrenchman wrote:
RefluxSemantic wrote:Its just really hard to explain the significance of football in European culture.
Why does it make you laugh out loud? You wanna know what makes me laugh out loud? Uninformed Americans bringing in their shitty useless opinions on matters involving Europe.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

RefluxSemantic wrote:TIL the British are not Europeans
It was really just a joke about this vote that happened a few years ago. They called it "Brexit"
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

InsectPoison wrote:
fightinfrenchman wrote:
Why does it make you laugh out loud? You wanna know what makes me laugh out loud? Uninformed Americans bringing in their shitty useless opinions on matters involving Europe.
You don't sound like you're laughing tbh. You sound pissed
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

There are places in the United States where people are insanely obsessed with even high school level (American) football. They love it genuinely, which is fine, but that doesn't make it not cringe to other people
Kiribati princeofcarthage
Retired Contributor

Post by princeofcarthage »

fightinfrenchman wrote:
It was really just a joke about this vote that happened a few years ago. They called it "Brexit"
They are still Europeans though
Fine line to something great is a strange change.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

princeofcarthage wrote:
fightinfrenchman wrote:
They are still Europeans though
It was just a joke
Retired Contributor

InsectPoison wrote:I'm convinced this princeofcarthage has some mental health problems or something.
People usually resort to name calling and insults when they don't have something of credibility and matter to speak. You can't refute that's why you insult.
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

princeofcarthage wrote:
InsectPoison wrote:I'm convinced this princeofcarthage has some mental health problems or something.
People usually resort to name calling and insults when they don't have something of credibility and matter to speak. You can't refute that's why you insult.
Im pretty sure your comments in this thread show that your hypothesis is wrong
Retired Contributor

RefluxSemantic wrote:
princeofcarthage wrote:
Im pretty sure your comments in this thread show that your hypothesis is wrong
Its not hypothesis, its psychology 101. Anyways where did I anyone insult in this thread?
Germany blackout
Dragoon

Post by blackout »

Well americans just have a different approach on professional sport in general @gibson and thats fair enough. I mean the franchise system in the usa is working as it's supposed to i guess and in that way ur argument makes sense of course but thats not how sport should be "organized" imo. Just a different approach and if ure only used to and grew up with a system like that u just can't relate to the european football in general
Austria knusch
Pro Player
EWTDonator 01

Post by knusch »

difference between culture and a plastic product - first one u cant buy.
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

The idea of the best players at the best clubs makes some sense. But thats already the case. My team is close to the top 20 atm and not a single player is of comparable quality to the players at the top teams. The current financial system already forces the top players towards the top teams. Only reason sometimes top players are not at top teams are because they are young up and coming players (ie Haaland, de Jong or de Ligt).
Great Britain Riotcoke
Retired Contributor
ECL Reigning ChampsDonator 01
ESO: Riotcoke
Clan: UwU

Post by Riotcoke »

Americans just don't understand what it's like to go and watch your league 2 side, with only 5,000 people in the terraces each week, for decades with the hope that your small side can one day make into the premier league and play on a global platform. European football is less about watching excellence than the connection to your club, and the community around it, honestly things like liverpool having YNWA as their song exemplify this.

I might go watch Yeovil town lose constantly, but there's still that glimer of hope that they'll make it some day.

In a way it could be argued that the British lack of class mobility compared to the 'American dream' of climbing the social ladder is why football is so important to Brits, instead of thinking you can make it on your own you believe in your team's chance to climb that very same ladder. Comparatively American sports are just closed leagues where you seem to pick a side who's popular.

twitch.tv/stangoesdeepTV
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Riotcoke wrote:In a way it could be argued that the British lack of class mobility compared to the 'American dream' of climbing the social ladder is why football is so important to Brits, instead of thinking you can make it on your own you believe in your team's chance to climb that very same ladder.
This is one of the most depressing things I've ever read
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Europeans making assumptions about Americans in this thread is the most ridiculous shit lol
Vietnam duckzilla
Jaeger

Post by duckzilla »

fightinfrenchman wrote:
Riotcoke wrote:In a way it could be argued that the British lack of class mobility compared to the 'American dream' of climbing the social ladder is why football is so important to Brits, instead of thinking you can make it on your own you believe in your team's chance to climb that very same ladder.
This is one of the most depressing things I've ever read
It's true. An example from Germany would be Schalke 04, which is a club from the most poverty-stricken part of the Ruhr Area. Schalke is a district of the city of Gelsenkirchen, which suffers from the decline in coal mining and heavy industries. While there was an adequate level of prosperity in the 1950s, the decades since then saw a steady increase in unemployment, increasing neglect, and severe lack of perspectives for young people over multiple generations. The football club Schalke 04 is pretty much all that is left from the good days and the only source of identity formation that offers hope of success for many people. There is a reason why the club is the sixth largest sports club in the world with >150k members.

Unfortunately, its performance is bad and they will be relegated to the 2. Bundesliga.
Whatever is written above: this is no financial advice.

Beati pauperes spiritu.
Germany blackout
Dragoon

Post by blackout »

Bit emotional but sums it up pretty well
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

This has been long in the works. I've heard of this idea a few years ago when they were talking about creating a new Super-Champions League competition in which only the mega-clubs would participate, a closed-circuit competition.
Ofc UEFA would be against this, because they couldn't milk any money out of it.
Retired Contributor

Yeah UeFa is a monopolistic disgrace to the world of football. It has been in works since 1992. There was similar opposition to creation of champions league and English Premier league also btw.
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

The UEFA isnt great but that doesnt make this plan any less ridiculous.

Its like if the top football nations came together and made a world cup event that is supposed to take place during normal world cups and instead of being an open tournament they just seed the 12 biggest football countries permanently for the rest of history. The fact that FIFA is a shit organization doesnt make that a good idea.
Retired Contributor

So this comes down to semantics. Top football body which ideally should be a co-operative body between all 200 nations should be the only one legally allowed to hold world cup. If top 12 nations don't want to participate, that's fine, they won't be world champions, they would be champions of their own tournament they have hosted. What is the issue?