European Super League

This is for discussions about news, politics, sports, other games, culture, philosophy etc.
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Re: European Super League

Post by RefluxSemantic »

princeofcarthage wrote:So this comes down to semantics. Top football body which ideally should be a co-operative body between all 200 nations should be the only one legally allowed to hold world cup. If top 12 nations don't want to participate, that's fine, they won't be world champions, they would be champions of their own tournament they have hosted. What is the issue?
It doesnt come down to semantics. This specific discussion actually comes down to knowing what you are talking about.

The issue is that the super league will simply replace the champions league, because it is true that the tournament with the highest level of play has the most appeal (ie compare champions league to europa league). It will have to be at the same time (explicitly said to be a midweek competition and the schedule is too full otherwise). So what this means is that the CL is replaced by the inferior super league. Thats the problem, the better and fairer version of the super league already exists. This move is a giant middle finger to football supporters, and the things I have read from actual football supporters are impressively unanimous. Almost all people are against this change, except for apperantly some Indian dude that probably doesnt hasnt ever played a game of football in his life.
Kiribati princeofcarthage
Retired Contributor

Post by princeofcarthage »

So again you come to attack me personally without even knowing me lol. Yeah I don't see why some fans should even have a say in this. Are they funding the club? You should actually read the interview of F.Perez as to what lead the creation of super league. You know top clubs have only enough funds till 2024, even less. That means situation is even worse for lower clubs. If the top clubs collapse the football as you know will cease to exist anyhow. Times change and everything has to change. Football viewership is declining, there are no ticket sales, media rights are decreasing and clubs are in hundreds of millions of debts. You can't be like "Oh my competitor is making a new product that will break my monopoly or new product is launching which threatens mine. So I should abuse my position and stop it in its tracks". If anything UEFA should try to make champions league more appealing and revenue generating so that these clubs should not have to make new in the first place. There is no math here. Clubs get 100m for participation in super league while winner prize is what 150m in champions league?
Fine line to something great is a strange change.
Great Britain Riotcoke
Retired Contributor
ECL Reigning ChampsDonator 01
ESO: Riotcoke
Clan: UwU

Post by Riotcoke »

@princeofcarthage Are you actually mentally ill or are you pretending?

twitch.tv/stangoesdeepTV
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

RefluxSemantic wrote:Its just really hard to explain the significance of football in European culture.
Ive thought about how to put this for a while amd I think I can explain some things.

Football is actually a very cultural phenomenon, and supporters tend to be fans of teams in the first place and fans of the sport in the second place. The support for smaller teams is very impressive. People dont just rally behind the big teams (although these do have more supporters), they seem to support local teams. Every reasonably sized city has a football club that has plenty of supporters. There are clubs in the 2nd Dutch league that fill stadiums, despite those clubs hardly managing to pay their players a living wage.

In principle I understand why you'd want all the top teams with all the best players in one competition and just ignore the rest of football, but in practice football is a big part of the culture and people choose to support these clubs in huge numbers. While on average more people are fan of the big clubs, those numbers really pale in comparison to the total number of football fans in the world. The clubs in every domestic competition have tons of supporters that watch every single game and follow these clubs and competitions. This is what football culture is. I feel like you'd have to experience the actual rivalry between local teams and how these supporters truly experience the games to understand.

Im a fan of a mid tier club and I watch all their games. I dont care about the big clubs, and a good match in the CL is fun but I dont actively watch those. When my club plays big matches I am nervous and excited, I shiver from the tension and my heartbeat goes through the roof. When they score I scream so loudly that my throat is sore the next day, when they lose my evening is ruined. I experience their games with the purest form of passion that no other clubs could ever bring about. Some of the best memories of the game that I have were those of the 2018 season when my small club got to the semifinals of the CL. It was a total fluke and it was amazing. When they were knocked out I was devastated, but ultimately them getting so far and playing so well made me proud to be a fan.

Thats what football is about. I dont care that they will usually get knocked out and lose in these competitions, I care for those rare moments that are memorable to me. For bigger clubs its winning the entire thing, for smaller clubs it might simply be qualifying for the CL, doing well in the EL or winning the domestic league. Who didnt love the story of Leiceister winning the BPL? For even smaller teams its about winning the domestic cup or even avoiding relegation. The football pyramid as it is gives all fans things to cheer for, games that bring about pure passion and emotion.

This super league intends to take a bit of that football pyramid and ruin it. No more Ajax, Atalanta or Leipzig going for a miracle run, no Porto barely beating the big Juventus. Those are the things that make the sport beautiful, and the ESL is trying to take that away from us. It goes against the culture of football, the way people experience the sport. This league needs to be stopped.
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

@princeofcarthage have you actually played football before?
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

princeofcarthage wrote:If the top clubs collapse the football as you know will cease to exist anyhow.
Good riddance. It's become too much of a merc show.
Retired Contributor

RefluxSemantic wrote:@princeofcarthage have you actually played football before?
Yes, I played football in school, college and for some time in university, I watch EPL, and La Liga, World Cup, what does this have to do with anything though?
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

I just miss the times when football was about talent and having fun playing the ball. Now it's too much of a business, with gladiators hired as mercs to entertain the masses, too much bullshit superstar melodrama and pretentious cunts driving Ferraris.
The fun is dead, it's businessified.
Great Britain Riotcoke
Retired Contributor
ECL Reigning ChampsDonator 01
ESO: Riotcoke
Clan: UwU

Post by Riotcoke »

It's amazing when you have a topic so obvious in it's negativity that you have Dolan not arguing with anyone but you still have Princeofcarthage being a retard.

twitch.tv/stangoesdeepTV
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

Imagine thinking that being a big fan of a sports team is something unique to European soccer lmao
Retired Contributor

If I get to watch more of RM, FCB, MU, Juventus playing more against each other every year, there is no reason to dislike the idea. Sucks Bayern, PSG are not playing. There is clearly appetite in me for more of specific football matches which I assume is in many such people. This is the market exactly what super league is trying to monetize. CL fails to do it. Honestly if outside of La Liga RM and FCB decide to host even friendly El Classico's thrice a year I would watch it. That is the revenue these clubs are missing. To be fair there is no such market for clubs like Burnley, Real Valladoid, or Ajax. It was less of an issue when garden was green. But now that its drying up.... Honestly if you manage to remove your emotions you would see it too.
No Flag Djigit
Howdah

Post by Djigit »

I think people are too invested in this. If this project succeeds, I will watch the ESL games like everybody. It's not like I'm paying, excluding indirect funding via taxes of course.

It's also funny how JP Morgan always manages to be involved in profitable projects...
Austria knusch
Pro Player
EWTDonator 01

Post by knusch »

seems like the project is dead on arrival, rightfully so.
Germany blackout
Dragoon

Post by blackout »

So seems like chelsea is stepping out of it already. Bayern and dortmund both said today in a statement that they definitely wont join.

So i guess in the end the clubs just pushed this through to get pressure on the uefa to get the reforms for the championsleague that they want.
Retired Contributor

Also in another news Spanish court blocks uefa and fifa from blocking super league.
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

Damn, Europeans just weren’t ready for their only sport to be brought to the highest level of competition. Long life the shitty small market teams who beat a good team once every 10 years.
Austria knusch
Pro Player
EWTDonator 01

Post by knusch »

the only global sport for a reason.
Germany blackout
Dragoon

Post by blackout »

Feeling sorry for u @gibson
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

knusch wrote:the only global sport for a reason.
Yea ur right, all the small shitty teams are the ones bringing in global fans, not Barcelona, Real Madrid, man u etc.
Great Britain Horsemen
Jaeger

Post by Horsemen »

Football is the last sport I would want my children to play
Austria knusch
Pro Player
EWTDonator 01

Post by knusch »

every club once started out small. part of this culture around football clubs referred to in this thread is whats apparently hard for u to understand. we dont simply slap a lable on it and call it a day.
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

Yea ur right, it’s impossible for a non European to understand what it’s like to be a sports fan of a local team
Germany blackout
Dragoon

Post by blackout »

Well u act like u dont or being ignorant on purpose
Netherlands Mr_Bramboy
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: [VOC] Bram

Post by Mr_Bramboy »

@princeofcarthage how does it feel to be objectively wrong? RIP ESL
Great Britain I_HaRRiiSoN_I
Retired Contributor

Post by I_HaRRiiSoN_I »

Anybody who thought the Euro Super League was a good idea is a muppet. end of.
Attachments
stoke.jpg