PC Building - general topic

This is for discussions about news, politics, sports, other games, culture, philosophy etc.
Kiribati princeofcarthage
Retired Contributor

Re: PC Building - general topic

Post by princeofcarthage »

Looks good tbh
Fine line to something great is a strange change.
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

Yeah, it's great for content viewing and creation, but not so great for gaming. Gaming on a large 32 inch 4k screen just sucks. Will have to switch to a 2nd monitor for that
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

Dolan wrote:
21 Mar 2022, 17:57
Got a Lenovo 32" 4k monitor to replace the AOC pile of plastic.
Mediocre panel, no gamma controls, one dead pixel, 500 bucks display. :|

Like, subscribe and share :food:
My 41 inch 4k tv was about 300 bucks. Why is your monitor that expensive?
Kiribati princeofcarthage
Retired Contributor

Post by princeofcarthage »

RefluxSemantic wrote:
27 Mar 2022, 21:40
Dolan wrote:

It depends on brand. I can get a 32 inch 4k for 200$ here but that is pretty cheap ass cheap quality tv. Also TV's aren't usually optimized for gaming. For that 0.5 or 1 ms response time, and as u go for higher frequencies the cost of monitors go up.
Fine line to something great is a strange change.
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

RefluxSemantic wrote:
27 Mar 2022, 21:40
Dolan wrote:

Good question. Yeah, before I decided to get a new monitor, I was thinking of getting a 4K TV to use as a monitor. But the cheapest 4k TVs are some no-name ones like Finlux, Schneider, Wellington, which is a waste of money, because they have bad brightness, colours, no features. It's better to go with a brand that has more experience in building TVs, like Sony, Samsung, etc. The cheapest 4k TVs from these brands go over 500 bucks. And you can't find TVs under 40-something inches from these brands, if you want something more humane to use, because anything above that is too large to use as a monitor. So I had to go back to looking at monitors.
I got used to working with at least 32" as a main monitor, anything under seems too small to me (only as a 2nd monitor).
And after trying that Lenovo and seeing how shit it was, I decided to go a bit over the 500 bucks budget and get an LG with a good panel.

So why are these so expensive? Well if you look at 32 inch monitors below 500, they're usually VA panels which have terrible colour accuracy and viewing angles. I thought that viewing angles are just a meme but they're not, if you don't look at the panel at a 90° angle, the colours will shift badly, like reds could go into purple at the edge. So I had to get an IPS panel which has great viewing angles and colour accuracy.
The cheapest IPS monitors at 32" are still around 500, but you're getting the bottom of the barrel with crap colour spectrum coverage and IPS glow. Also I really wanted to get a monitor with an external power supply because all my previous monitors that got fried had internal PSU and they always got very hot. Not sure if that's what caused them to get fried but I saw a pattern there, so I decided to go with a monitor with an external plug-in supply.
After checking out reviews, I narrowed it down to this LG, which everyone said has great colours. And it does.
It's the best monitor I've ever used, tbh, I never seen such colour coverage and brightness in a monitor. There's so much colour and brightness that I have to dial it down a bit and it still looks very bright with vibrant colours.
And for pros this is considered low-end cheap shit. The decent panels for pros start at beyond 700 bucks, so it gets a lot crazier than this.
But overall, idk if this is worth 530 bucks, it's definitely a great monitor and I guess that's the market price. I just hope it's gonna last me enough to recoup the investment.
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

Im def not going to ever bother with a luxurious monitor. As long as you dont get used to luxury, you'll be happy with stuff at half the price.

@poc 1ms response time is irrelevant.
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

Wait I think I understand. Its a bit paradoxical, but smaller screens are actually more expensive in a way: you need a much higher pixel density for a 32 inch 4k screen than for a 41 inch 4k screen. So the actual screen for 32" 4k is more sophisticated and thus presumably more expensive. The image will also be sharper.
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

RefluxSemantic wrote:
27 Mar 2022, 23:35
Wait I think I understand. Its a bit paradoxical, but smaller screens are actually more expensive in a way: you need a much higher pixel density for a 32 inch 4k screen than for a 41 inch 4k screen. So the actual screen for 32" 4k is more sophisticated and thus presumably more expensive.
No. Tv's are just always cheaper than monitors because monitors have higher refresh rates/faster response screens, and less accurate colors.
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

gibson wrote:
27 Mar 2022, 23:36
RefluxSemantic wrote:
Wait I think I understand. Its a bit paradoxical, but smaller screens are actually more expensive in a way: you need a much higher pixel density for a 32 inch 4k screen than for a 41 inch 4k screen. So the actual screen for 32" 4k is more sophisticated and thus presumably more expensive.
No.
Yeah on second thought it doesnt quite make sense. It still seems super overpriced then.
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

RefluxSemantic wrote:Im def not going to ever bother with a luxurious monitor. As long as you dont get used to luxury, you'll be happy with stuff at half the price.
That's how I picked the previous AOC monitor. And it crapped itself exactly 1 month after the warranty expired. I went with that logic "why spend so much on a monitor if this cheap shit can get the job done?"
It turned out that cheap shit had worse components and heat isolation inside the panel so components got fried faster just because it has an internal PSU. Even brands like AOC put throwaway components in their cheapest products.
I lost respect for AOC after this.
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

RefluxSemantic wrote:
27 Mar 2022, 23:37
gibson wrote:
27 Mar 2022, 23:36
RefluxSemantic wrote:
No.
It still seems super overpriced then.
No, cheaper TVs just have lower refresh rates, slower response rates, worse color reproduction, lower quality panels etc.
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

gibson wrote:
27 Mar 2022, 23:39
RefluxSemantic wrote:
27 Mar 2022, 23:37
Show hidden quotes
It still seems super overpriced then.
No, cheaper TVs just have lower refresh rates, slower response rates, worse color reproduction, lower quality panels etc.
What does 'slower response rate' actually mean? I think refresh rates are generally 60 fps for both.
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

RefluxSemantic wrote:
27 Mar 2022, 23:45
gibson wrote:
27 Mar 2022, 23:39
Show hidden quotes
What does 'slower response rate' actually mean? I think refresh rates are generally 60 fps for both.
Tbh 1ms response time is a meme if you play in PvP and your ping is 50ms
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

1 ms response time is a meme if there's more than 10 ms betweem each frame.
Latvia harcha
Gendarme
ESO: hatamoto_samurai

Post by harcha »

RefluxSemantic wrote:
Wait I think I understand. Its a bit paradoxical, but smaller screens are actually more expensive in a way: you need a much higher pixel density for a 32 inch 4k screen than for a 41 inch 4k screen. So the actual screen for 32" 4k is more sophisticated and thus presumably more expensive. The image will also be sharper.
It's more about the economy of scale, cheap TVs is a much larger market than 4K monitors.
Dolan wrote:
27 Mar 2022, 23:52
RefluxSemantic wrote:
27 Mar 2022, 23:45
Show hidden quotes
Tbh 1ms response time is a meme if you play in PvP and your ping is 50ms
1) It takes some ms for the color to fully change from one to the other. 2) Then there is how fast the electronics process the signal (often TVs need to be put into game mode or this part is too large for any gaming, like 200ms delay and shit due to electronics that try to improve low quality analog TV signal). 3) Then there is the Hertz number, which can be deceiving if the other metrics are bad.
1 ms gray-to-gray time is a bit of a meme, because you usually have to set options that make the picture worse (too aggressive overdrive) to actually get 1 ms color response time on a gaming monitor.
POC wrote:Also I most likely know a whole lot more than you.
POC wrote:Also as an objective third party, and near 100% accuracy of giving correct information, I would say my opinions are more reliable than yours.
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

As my wired Logitech G302 started 2x-ing its clicks, I've been looking for a new mouse. I bought a Razer Orochi v2, the reviewers' favourite after the Logitech G ProX Superlight, which is more than double the price.
After trying it out for half a day, I realised it's unusable because my hands are too large. Didn't realise until now that hand size is such a big factor with mice.
Welp, Ig I'll just replace the switches on the G302 until I find a large enough wireless mouse that fits the bill
India rsy
Jaeger
Donator 01

Post by rsy »

Dolan wrote:
14 Jul 2022, 05:52
After trying it out for half a day, I realised it's unusable because my hands are too large.
Big hand energy ^^
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

I finally bought a new GPU at MSRP. Quite a good upgrade.
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/incog_aoe
Garja wrote:
20 Mar 2020, 21:46
I just hope DE is not going to implement all of the EP changes. Right now it is a big clusterfuck.
Great Britain Horsemen
Jaeger

Post by Horsemen »

PCs are so expensive now omg
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

ImageImage
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

harcha wrote:
21 Mar 2022, 18:59
not a recommendation but there is this option LG 32UN500-W @ 320 EUR
what i can recommend is a monitor arm to clean up your desk and gain +++ space

you can also buy a TV for 210 EUR - Xiaomi Mi TV P1 :biggrin: \
not sure how good these are
Tbh your recommendation led me to check out LG models back then and that's how I found the 32UN650 I'm currently using and which is a beast of a monitor.
Just hope it'll last. Kudos for that rec
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

gibson wrote:
02 Sep 2021, 20:29
When I worked at bestbuy the MX was pretty popular, many seemed to like it.
And an update on the Logi MX Keys I got like 1 year and a few months ago.
The rubber dome on the Shifts probably broke and it glitches like hell. Didn't even last 2 years of normal use.
Lesson learned: never buy a rubber dome keyboard ever again, especially not an expensive one. Gonna go with ones I can fully repair from now on, so mechanical it will be
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

Dolan wrote:
14 Jul 2022, 05:52
As my wired Logitech G302 started 2x-ing its clicks, I've been looking for a new mouse. I bought a Razer Orochi v2, the reviewers' favourite after the Logitech G ProX Superlight, which is more than double the price.
After trying it out for half a day, I realised it's unusable because my hands are too large. Didn't realise until now that hand size is such a big factor with mice.
Welp, Ig I'll just replace the switches on the G302 until I find a large enough wireless mouse that fits the bill
I also lost my G203 to the double click issue lol. Stupid that they cheap out on the switches.

I ended up getting Steelseries Rival 3 since apparently the switches in that one last longer.
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/incog_aoe
Garja wrote:
20 Mar 2020, 21:46
I just hope DE is not going to implement all of the EP changes. Right now it is a big clusterfuck.
Latvia harcha
Gendarme
ESO: hatamoto_samurai

Post by harcha »

i had my 12+ year old razer abyssus double click. it wasn't the switch, it was the plastic peg that is connected to the mouse button which pushes on the switch which was worn out (had a switch-sized groove). i filed it flat and it worked again. i am still using this mouse as of now. kinda unbelievable how they still haven't solved simple issues like this, or maybe that's just an intended end-of-life mechanism
POC wrote:Also I most likely know a whole lot more than you.
POC wrote:Also as an objective third party, and near 100% accuracy of giving correct information, I would say my opinions are more reliable than yours.
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

A switch in a mouse is a basic mechanical assembly, it has a flexible metal blade inside with some notches in it. When you press on the switch button, it bends the blade and the end of it gets lowered, breaking a circuit which gets translated as an impulse by a sensor. It's like this:

So this thing after millions of clicks eventually loses its flex and that end fails to move far enough for the sensor to register a break in the circuit. That's how you get a click that keeps transmitting an impulse even after you released the button.
Some people are crazy enough to disassemble the switch and rebend the blades back into shape.
I just bought new switches and used a desoldering gun to remove the old ones and solder the new ones in place. And it worked but the last bunch of switches only lasted like 6 months.

So yeah, you never know what you buy, companies tend to put the most silent switches in the mice they put on the market because that makes the product more attractive, but those seem to wear off the quickest.
To some degree it's planned obsolescence, for sure. They know the vast majority of people will never bother with replacing switches, they'll just buy a new mouse.