PC Building - general topic

This is for discussions about news, politics, sports, other games, culture, philosophy etc.
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

PC Building - general topic

Post by Dolan »

Because there isn't a general topic on this (or I couldn't find one) and I'm going to build a system soon.
Post here questions, answers, whatever concerns you about building a new personal computer.
Case form factors
Mobo form factors
Core components:

Tools:
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/ (US) or https://de.pcpartpicker.com/list/ (EU)
https://www.newegg.com/tools/power-supply-calculator/
Kiribati princeofcarthage
Retired Contributor

Re: PC Building - general topic

Post by princeofcarthage »

Here we go again
Fine line to something great is a strange change.
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

princeofcarthage wrote:Here we go again
And it's that time again
Latvia harcha
Gendarme
ESO: hatamoto_samurai

Post by harcha »

I worry that my constant fiddling with my computer will cause the GPU to die and I will be screwed without a GPU during this shortage.
POC wrote:Also I most likely know a whole lot more than you.
POC wrote:Also as an objective third party, and near 100% accuracy of giving correct information, I would say my opinions are more reliable than yours.
Retired Contributor

Dolan wrote:
princeofcarthage wrote:Here we go again
And it's that time again
I mean this thread is gonna devolve into this brand is better, they have better service blah blah blah, just like the last thread did. Camp gigabyte vs Camp MSI. Camp Custom PC vs Camp Premade Pc.
Latvia harcha
Gendarme

Post by harcha »

The service of each brand varies a lot depending on your region.
POC wrote:Also as an objective third party, and near 100% accuracy of giving correct information, I would say my opinions are more reliable than yours.
Retired Contributor

Yeah, I have seen lots of people complain about Gigabyte and their poor service, while in my region also MSI gets all the praise. But honestly in past 4 years I had a pc I had only one problem and it was solved with couple days quickly.
Great Britain Riotcoke
Retired Contributor
ECL Reigning ChampsDonator 01
ESO: Riotcoke
Clan: UwU

Post by Riotcoke »

Tip for anyone, don't go for a dual CPU system. It sounds cool, but it's just shit. Even if I have 128gb of ram and it cost me ÂŁ160

twitch.tv/stangoesdeepTV
Retired Contributor

Do people even buy dual cpu systems for personal/gaming use?
Latvia harcha
Gendarme

Post by harcha »

Looking for previous gen server parts is something that people do, and it can be great bang for the buck. (those people being techy nerds like riot)
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

harcha wrote:I worry that my constant fiddling with my computer will cause the GPU to die and I will be screwed without a GPU during this shortage.
Which GPU and what kind of fiddling.

In other news, I just bought a GTX 1650 OC (I suppose it might be the Super edition) and I paid 100 bucks more than its MSRP.
Cryptofags ovens when.

Anyway, as much as I dislike having done that, I did it because based on how GPU stocks and prices are going right now, this overpricing/scalping trend is going to get worse, going forward, and we're going to see even more basic and older GPU prices rising, as those who want to build a new PC will simply not find any GPUs to buy.
I've seen the same GPU I've just bought going on Amazon US for $487.00 and on Amazon DE for 408€. So the price I paid is lower than the going price on Amazon right now. Which means it must have been some older unsold stock.
Latvia harcha
Gendarme

Post by harcha »

I have a 1080ti in my PC and 1050ti in my sisters PC. Mine is SFF and replacing the drives requires disturbing a bunch of wires and the GPU too, and recently I upgraded my sisters motherboard/CPU which also required disassembly because the wire routing became completely different. So every time I work on a PC I get nervous as to not ruin the GPU because that mistake could be very painful.

On the other hand I recently freed up some old AMD videocard which doesn't have any gaming value but is at least a placeholder video adapter. Thinking if I should sell this one or no.
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

Just upgraded my entire PC but had to keep my old 1080ti as its impossible to get a graphics card now. It still does well generally, but I don't get 144 fps in warzone and newer AAA games
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

They call it the GPU pandemic

Many casualties.
Germany blackout
Dragoon

Post by blackout »

Why u cant buy graphic cards rn?
Retired Contributor

Chip shortage
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

Chip shortage + bitcoin price increase.

My 3060ti can make ~100 dollars a month profit through mining. Investors are willing to pay 100+ for such a card because it will simply pay off within the year.
Czech Republic EAGLEMUT
ESOC Dev Team
Donator 05
ESO: EAGLEMUT
Clan: WPact

Post by EAGLEMUT »

Yeah PC Building is literally dead now. Just get a prebuilt for less money and less effort, that's the conclusion I came to.
momuuu wrote: ↑theres no way eaglemut is truly a top player
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

EAGLEMUT wrote:Yeah PC Building is literally dead now. Just get a prebuilt for less money and less effort, that's the conclusion I came to.
My prebuilt agrees. Effectively paid 300 for everything but the GPU (including assembly) and thats relatively high end (good cpu, 1 TB ssd) and also a surprisingly large number of things that will add up (case, motherboard, psu, fans, RAM). Theres no way to construct my pc for 300 sans GPU.
Netherlands Mr_Bramboy
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: [VOC] Bram

Post by Mr_Bramboy »

RefluxSemantic wrote:Chip shortage + bitcoin price increase.

My 3060ti can make ~100 dollars a month profit through mining. Investors are willing to pay 100+ for such a card because it will simply pay off within the year.
How do I mine, I have a 3060ti. Won't that cause a lot of wear to the card though?
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

Mr_Bramboy wrote:

How do I mine, I have a 3060ti. Won't that cause a lot of wear to the card though?
I dont know. I think step one is to throw morals and principles and your conscience out of the window so that you can knowingly fuck up the climate. Struggling with that step so far.
Retired Contributor

RefluxSemantic wrote:
EAGLEMUT wrote:Yeah PC Building is literally dead now. Just get a prebuilt for less money and less effort, that's the conclusion I came to.
My prebuilt agrees. Effectively paid 300 for everything but the GPU (including assembly) and thats relatively high end (good cpu, 1 TB ssd) and also a surprisingly large number of things that will add up (case, motherboard, psu, fans, RAM). Theres no way to construct my pc for 300 sans GPU.
what cpu do you have, what type of ssd u have, which case, which mobo, ram? Theres no way 300$ pc is a high end, its budget tier or premium budget at the best.
Netherlands Mr_Bramboy
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: [VOC] Bram

Post by Mr_Bramboy »

RefluxSemantic wrote:
Mr_Bramboy wrote:

I dont know. I think step one is to throw morals and principles and your conscience out of the window so that you can knowingly fuck up the climate. Struggling with that step so far.
I study law, I'm several steps ahead of that.
Latvia harcha
Gendarme

Post by harcha »

princeofcarthage wrote:
RefluxSemantic wrote:
what cpu do you have, what type of ssd u have, which case, which mobo, ram? Theres no way 300$ pc is a high end, its budget tier or premium budget at the best.
The 300 came by taking the GPU scalped price away from the prebuilt price as I understand. In fact the system integrator didn't actually pay that price for GPU so the rest of the PC actually cost much more than 300.
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

princeofcarthage wrote:
RefluxSemantic wrote:
Thats the point. I paid €1500 for a PC that comes with a 3060ti, which is being sold for roughly 1200 right now. So the rest of the PC including assembly effectively came for €300. There's no way to get the rest of the pc for that kind of money indeed. Which shows that PC building is more expensive than just getting a prebuilt. Imo right now PC building is for the hobbyists that have plenty of money to spare and like to customize every single bit. It used to be something you could do to save money, but right now that seems really hard to do.