PC Building - general topic

This is for discussions about news, politics, sports, other games, culture, philosophy etc.
Latvia harcha
Gendarme
ESO: hatamoto_samurai

Re: PC Building - general topic

Post by harcha »

A new one is 750 here. As I said availability for new stuff has returned making used market more competitive, and I bought used.
POC wrote:Also I most likely know a whole lot more than you.
POC wrote:Also as an objective third party, and near 100% accuracy of giving correct information, I would say my opinions are more reliable than yours.
Kiribati princeofcarthage
Retired Contributor

Post by princeofcarthage »

Surge pricing should be banned. It makes no sense. It takes same to manufacture, transport and sell.
Fine line to something great is a strange change.
Latvia harcha
Gendarme

Post by harcha »

It takes more to manufacture and transport, but it's like a 25% increase at most, not 150%...

And it's not even a huge problem at retailer level, as in many places that segment is competitive. My guess is that it's mostly at the nvidia/amd level, they are reaping the majority of profits, and then what is left is taken by board partners.

Related video:
POC wrote:Also as an objective third party, and near 100% accuracy of giving correct information, I would say my opinions are more reliable than yours.
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

My AOC 32" monitor kicked the bucket, the power source is probably kaput and needs replacement.
So I'm using a 4K TV as a monitor with a diagonal of 1.23 meters.
Big one
Latvia harcha
Gendarme

Post by harcha »

That's such a European way of saying it because no-one in tech understands diagonals in metric units. You could probably save that monitor by replacing the power unit, I think it's one of the few repairs that is economically feasible.
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

@harcha Yeah I just wanted to give an idea of how big this thing is that I'm now using until I get the monitor fixed.
That's what I suspect, it must be the source, because it quickly powers up then the backlighting turns off. I can still see pixels forming an image on the black screen but there's no backlighting.
Just realised that TVs have a way better image quality compared to PC monitors. I got this Sony for like €500 a few years ago and it's 4K @ 49". It would cost at least double for a monitor same specs and image quality wouldn't be better.
Retired Contributor

TV's often lack the latency of monitors though. I agree tvs have much better image quality than monitors. Does your monitor have different modes, try theater or movie mode.
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

harcha wrote:
04 Mar 2022, 07:09
That's such a European way of saying it because no-one in tech understands diagonals in metric units.
I'm in tech and I understood it better that way. When you get to TV sizes I have no intuitive sense of how large for example 50" is, whereas I can easily imagine 127 cm. (In fact if he had put it in inches I would have just done the x2.5 to get to the cm). But yeah, other way around for Americans I'm sure
Latvia harcha
Gendarme

Post by harcha »

All the model numbers and model names are in inches and everyone sells them as such. For me it is much easier to understand how large is a 22 vs 24 vs 27 vs 32 inch monitor or a 48 vs 50 vs 55 vs 65 inch TV, than some number of centimeters. I get that centimeter is a more relatable unit generally, but in certain industries other units are used for tradition or other good reasons.
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

I get that it's easier for you; I was disagreeing specifically with your statement that no one in tech understands diagonals in metric units. I understand Dolan's tendency to switch to metric with the larger sizes because many people, like me, would have a better intuitive sense of the size that way.
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

harcha wrote:
04 Mar 2022, 10:27
All the model numbers and model names are in inches and everyone sells them as such. For me it is much easier to understand how large is a 22 vs 24 vs 27 vs 32 inch monitor or a 48 vs 50 vs 55 vs 65 inch TV, than some number of centimeters. I get that centimeter is a more relatable unit generally, but in certain industries other units are used for tradition or other good reasons.
I think you're right, but that's for monitors. I think everyone by now got used to imperial units when talking about monitors, because it became like an intuitive mental guide: when you think of 24" diagonal, you already have a visual idea of how it looks like.
But TVs are another matter, because they are much larger, so at least for us in Europe using metric for larger stuff makes more sense. You don't have an intuitive idea of what 53" means, but you get how large 1.3m could be.
Latvia harcha
Gendarme

Post by harcha »

I have an intuitive idea of what a 50 or a 55" TV looks like and I've only bought a TV once in my life. Not to mention I don't use a TV daily. Not really an argument, because at the end of the day it's more about "feelings".
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

I never use a TV either, but I bought one when there was a good unit on sale. It can be useful if you want to watch movies on a large 4K screen.
Latvia harcha
Gendarme

Post by harcha »

I don't really have a good place to put a TV, but I'm thinking about a projector. Have to wait out some uncertainties about related to rental apartment and job security, and then I could fulfill this wish.
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

Got a Lenovo 32" 4k monitor to replace the AOC pile of plastic.
Mediocre panel, no gamma controls, one dead pixel, 500 bucks display. :|
It's going back
Retired Contributor

You can return or replace if it is new. They normally have zero dead pixel warranty for some months or years. If you ordered on amazon you can straight up replace pr return
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

princeofcarthage wrote:
21 Mar 2022, 18:32
You can return or replace if it is new. They normally have zero dead pixel warranty for some months or years. If you ordered on amazon you can straight up replace pr return
Recommend me a 32" monitor of about 500 bucks
Latvia harcha
Gendarme

Post by harcha »

not a recommendation but there is this option LG 32UN500-W @ 320 EUR
what i can recommend is a monitor arm to clean up your desk and gain +++ space

you can also buy a TV for 210 EUR - Xiaomi Mi TV P1 :biggrin: \
not sure how good these are
Retired Contributor

Dolan wrote:
21 Mar 2022, 18:49
princeofcarthage wrote:
Idk maybe go for some samsung or lg or Acer, those are pretty good. Gigabyte and Msi also have some monitors which are good. Not sure if they are available in Romania tho
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

harcha wrote:
21 Mar 2022, 18:59
not a recommendation but there is this option LG 32UN500-W @ 320 EUR
what i can recommend is a monitor arm to clean up your desk and gain +++ space

you can also buy a TV for 210 EUR - Xiaomi Mi TV P1 :biggrin: \
Yea I was checking that LG out and its bigger bro UN650W, which some reviewer says has good panel.
Idk, I try not to buy from Chinese brands, but I been using a TV of 49" as a monitor and damn I been spoiled. So much space :wood:
So a TV is actually pretty good as a monitor, if it's 4K.
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

princeofcarthage wrote:
21 Mar 2022, 19:02
Dolan wrote:
21 Mar 2022, 18:49
princeofcarthage wrote:
Idk maybe go for some samsung or lg or Acer, those are pretty good. Gigabyte and Msi also have some monitors which are good. Not sure if they are available in Romania tho
All are available, it's the EU, big market. I'll probly try an LG, I heard they got good panels
Latvia harcha
Gendarme

Post by harcha »

harcha wrote:
21 Mar 2022, 18:59
you can also buy a TV for 210 EUR - Xiaomi Mi TV P1 :biggrin:
the listings were false, this is not a 4K panel.
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

Got this and it's awesome

Retired Contributor

So you took my advice afterall
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

Idk, I just watched a review and when I got to this part, I realised that's the monitor I needed to buy