PC Building - general topic

This is for discussions about news, politics, sports, other games, culture, philosophy etc.
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Re: PC Building - general topic

Post by RefluxSemantic »

I prefer to trust science on topics that I dont have a lot of expertise in.

https://repository.tudelft.nl/islandora ... 249c0c3868

This article from 2019 specifically states that "as far as known to the authors, there does not exist any estimation of power consumption of Proof of Stake networks". The article that estimates >75% energy reduction is from 2020, but I cant find anything else. Its interesting that a group of scientists claim this estimation does not exist if its that easy to calculate.

Again I like basing my opinion on trustworthy sources. With a subject where I dont fully know all the details, I find it hard to form an opinion based on reddit comments and such.
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

Goodspeed wrote:https://www.statista.com/statistics/881 ... ison-visa/

BTC apparently uses about 600000 times more energy per transaction than VISA. The ADA network currently uses 30000 times less energy than BTC, so it's safe to say ADA would use significantly more energy than a credit card company (between 10-100x the amount), but definitely not even close to 1 MW more. One thing to note as well is that as the network grows in size, it gets more energy-efficient.

It is true that any decentralized platform will always use more energy than a centralized one. After all, transactions need to be validated by the network and that necessitates trust between the network nodes. In a centralized platform like VISA, any VISA transaction is inherently trustworthy because we trust the company.
The creation and maintenance of trust between network nodes will always cost some energy. However it can be an effectively negligible amount, and there are significant benefits to decentralization as well.
Btw a mW is a milliwatt, 1/1000th of a watt amd 1/360000th of a Wh, gotta run the numbers myself but Id estimate ADA is wasting multiple watts compared to credit card transactions

Edit: removed some stuff because I misread. Do you have a source for the 30000 number?
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

RefluxSemantic wrote:
Goodspeed wrote:https://www.statista.com/statistics/881 ... ison-visa/

BTC apparently uses about 600000 times more energy per transaction than VISA. The ADA network currently uses 30000 times less energy than BTC, so it's safe to say ADA would use significantly more energy than a credit card company (between 10-100x the amount), but definitely not even close to 1 MW more. One thing to note as well is that as the network grows in size, it gets more energy-efficient.

It is true that any decentralized platform will always use more energy than a centralized one. After all, transactions need to be validated by the network and that necessitates trust between the network nodes. In a centralized platform like VISA, any VISA transaction is inherently trustworthy because we trust the company.
The creation and maintenance of trust between network nodes will always cost some energy. However it can be an effectively negligible amount, and there are significant benefits to decentralization as well.
So ADA is 95% more energy efficient than bitcoin? Big oof.
Where'd you get that number? It uses 30k times less energy atm, whatever percentage that is.
(Btw a mW is a milliwatt, 1/1000th of a watt amd 1/360000th of a Wh, gotta run the numbers myself but Id estimate ADA is wasting multiple watts compared to credit card transactions)
Ah I interpreted it as Mega but it was a small m.
1 mW more than a CC company would be negligible. I wouldn't consider that an issue, and again there are benefits to decentralization as well.

For example, overseas transactions are still significantly more expensive and inefficient than CC transactions, and that problem could be solved by a crypto bridge currency. Decentralization makes it more trustworthy in such scenarios.
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

See my edit. Curious about the 30,000 source.
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

There are currently 1672 stake pools running on the ADA network. Going by this guide we can assume you need about 3 servers per pool, and per server you'd probably be using about 100W. 1672 * 3 * 100 = 501600W which is about 4.4 million KWh per year. Side note: A household in the US uses about 4500 KWh per year so the entire ADA network is using the equivalent of 1000 US households of energy.

BTC on the other hand uses 130 TWh per year. 4 400 000 / 130 000 000 000 =~ 0.000034.

So theory aside, real-world data tells us the ADA network uses around 0.0034% of the energy used by the BTC network.
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

Is that the reddit thread again? Im sorry but its just not good enough for me, I have no way to verify the credibility of that.
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

No that's my post

If you're doubting the 1672 number: https://adapools.org/
The source of the amount of computing power needed per pool is that guide I linked to.

BTC consumption I just plucked from the internet, 130 TWh per year seems like a generally accepted estimate.
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

Yeah, you dont have any credibility in my book. Sorry.
Latvia harcha
Gendarme
ESO: hatamoto_samurai

Post by harcha »

RefluxSemantic wrote:Btw a mW is a milliwatt, 1/1000th of a watt amd 1/360000th of a Wh
I think this is the main take-away from this discussion. :export: :salt:
POC wrote:Also I most likely know a whole lot more than you.
POC wrote:Also as an objective third party, and near 100% accuracy of giving correct information, I would say my opinions are more reliable than yours.
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

RefluxSemantic wrote:Yeah, you dont have any credibility in my book. Sorry.
Do the maths yourself then it's really not hard? If you don't understand this enough to even do that, we should probably just leave it here.
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

harcha wrote:
RefluxSemantic wrote:Btw a mW is a milliwatt, 1/1000th of a watt amd 1/360000th of a Wh
The takeaway is BTC bad, crypto not necessarily bad
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

harcha wrote:
Its also wrong. I missed a zero :)
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

Goodspeed wrote:
There are currently 1672 stake pools running on the ADA network. Going by this guide we can assume you need about 3 servers per pool, and per server you'd probably be using about 100W. 1672 * 3 * 100 = 501600W which is about 4.4 million KWh per year. Side note: A household in the US uses about 4500 KWh per year so the entire ADA network is using the equivalent of 1000 US households of energy.

BTC on the other hand uses 130 TWh per year. 4 400 000 / 130 000 000 000 =~ 0.000034.

So theory aside, real-world data tells us the ADA network uses around 0.0034% of the energy used by the BTC network.
Isnt your calculation of the energy consumption completely wrong? 501 kW comes down to 1.57*10^13 kWh, or ~16 TWh. ADA has about a tenth of the number of daily transactions, so by your estimates it should be less energy efficient?
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

RefluxSemantic wrote:
Goodspeed wrote:

Isnt your calculation of the energy consumption completely wrong? 501 kW comes down to 1.57*10^13 kWh, or ~16 TWh. ADA has about a tenth of the number of daily transactions, so by your estimates it should be less energy efficient?
Looks like you think watt is energy/hour. Its energy/second buddy. This is why I try not to trust random people posting crap on forums.
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

This is really embarrassing for you tbh
Latvia harcha
Gendarme

Post by harcha »

RefluxSemantic wrote:Looks like you think watt is energy/hour. Its energy/second buddy. This is why I try not to trust random people posting crap on forums.
Oh buddy!
POC wrote:Also as an objective third party, and near 100% accuracy of giving correct information, I would say my opinions are more reliable than yours.
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

Goodspeed wrote:This is really embarrassing for you tbh
? Watt is joule/s??
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

If my PC is using 100W then after 1 hour it has used 100 Wh, after 2 hours 200 Wh etc. Apply that to above calculation
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

Goodspeed wrote:If my PC is usuing 100W then after 1 hour it has used 100 Wh, after 2 hours 200 Wh etc. Apply that to above calculation
My bad, you are right. This is why we dont trust random strangers on the internet :)
Latvia harcha
Gendarme

Post by harcha »

Basically you can't equate watts to watt hours (or joules) because they are measures of two different things.
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

harcha wrote:Basically you can't equate watts to watt hours (or joules) because they are measures of two different things.
Yes stupid mistake by me.
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

The problem I have with your post is that I have no way of verifying what a 'stake' is in relation to the entire network. It seems like you host a stake and others participate? What is their energy consumption then? I dont really know and there's no material provided to verify the reasoning.
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

https://www.researchgate.net/publicatio ... onsumption

Finally found another source. The final graph is nice but not a lot of explanation
Kiribati princeofcarthage
Retired Contributor

Post by princeofcarthage »

You are trying so hard. It almost seems as if you want convince yourself.
Fine line to something great is a strange change.
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

princeofcarthage wrote:You are trying so hard. It almost seems as if you want convince yourself.
Yes, I tried really hard to find another article about PoS energy consumption. I found one and it shows significant reduction in energy consumption so I shared it. Looks like PoS is pretty nice possibly (still one article against the other, but its somewhat more reasonable to believe now).

Contrary to what people on this forum might think, Im actually pretty open minded. But the arguments need to be of a certain quality and on esoc you generally dont see that happen a lot.