International Day of the World’s Indigenous Peoples

This is for discussions about news, politics, sports, other games, culture, philosophy etc.
European Union aaryngend
Howdah
Clan: N3O

International Day of the World’s Indigenous Peoples

Post by aaryngend »

People are hating on the OP units of the new african civilizations... so this be the time for posting something positive about them :smile:
International Day of the World’s Indigenous Peoples was created to commemorate and shine a light on the thousands of Indigenous cultures around the world sharing a common problem: their unique ways of life, traditions, and languages are under threat; and sometimes extinction.

Two years ago, the World’s Edge team realized that we needed to more accurately depict Indigenous North American civilizations shown in Age of Empires III: Definitive Edition. To guide us on this journey, we partnered with SMEs (Subject Matter Experts) from the tribes represented in the game. These men and women ranged from a young First Nations linguist devoted to keeping his people’s language alive, to a respected Native American tribal elder who has spent a lifetime preserving and practicing the art and traditions of his culture.

The World’s Edge team learned much on this journey, and many changes were implemented, from art, to in-game voices, storylines, and game mechanics. We corrected the names of the Indigenous North American civilizations in the game to the names the tribes call themselves; not the ones given to them by European invaders. Therefore the Sioux (“snakes”) are now the Lakota (“friend, ally”), and the Iroquois (“real adders/snakes”) are the Haudenosaunee (“People of the longhouse” Phonetic pronunciation: “Ha-di-no-shoe-knee” ).

Our lead cultural consultant, Anthony Brave, reviewed the gameplay and campaigns in which Indigenous North Americans were portrayed. Based on his feedback we removed magical properties from Indigenous units because these portrayals dehumanize Native Peoples. We also requested Mr.Brave to rewrite a particularly painful campaign, so that instead depicts the point of view of a Native American. This new storyline involves a Lakota tribal elder, voice acted by Tokala Black Elk, who also brought his own background and heritage into this depiction.

Thomas Deer, a Mohawk cultural expert (as well as a comic book artist), wrote up a detailed analysis of the Haudenosaunee Home City with fixes for art, artifacts, and regalia. He asked us to remove the Shaman character from this tableau, not only because the personage was incorrectly named, but because depicting a Holy Person or Medicine Man is disrespectful to their culture. This also prompted the removal of this character from the Lakota Home City after the same request from our Lakota SMEs. Ro’nikonhkátste Norton, an Iroquoian language expert, rewrote the Haudenosaunee dialogue and voiced the in-game Haudenosaunee male villager.

The Lakota elder Cedric Good House told us many fascinating details about his culture and history, as well as stories about the stark reality of life on the reservation. He also provided our artists with photographs of personal artifacts so that we could accurately depict his people’s heritage: a grinding stone that is an heirloom of Cedric’s family and a Thunderbird drum that he made and hand-painted are both recreated as digital artifacts in the Lakota Home City. Cedric wanted his grandchildren to be able to play this game and see a realistic portrayal of his people and their ways—the beauty and dignity of their ancient culture.

There is so much more for the team at World’s Edge to learn as we continue representing civilizations in the Age of Empires franchise, especially when depicting Indigenous or marginalized civilizations who have had their voices diminished by dominant cultures, or their stories systematically erased from history. It is our great honor and joy to work with cultural experts from around the world to accurately and respectfully celebrate Indigenous Peoples, and we will continue this exciting journey into the future of Age.

If you would like to learn more about our amazing SMEs, or find out other ways you can contribute to Internation Day of the World’s Indigenous Peoples, please view the following blogs and websites below. Special thanks once again to Anothony Brave, Cedric Goodhouse, Ro’nikonhkátste Norton, Tokala Black Elk, and Thomas Deer for all your knowledge, information, and guidance!
—The Age of Empires Team
By Noble Smith—Franchise Narrative Director
Netherlands Mr_Bramboy
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: [VOC] Bram

Re: International Day of the World’s Indigenous Peoples

Post by Mr_Bramboy »

I am willing to cooperate with World's Edge in order to more accurately depict the Dutch civilization and the Dutch people within Age of Empires 3 and perhaps Age of Empires 4 as well. There are several ways in which the Dutch people are not properly represented within the game and ways in which the Dutch civilization's history is not properly depicted. These injustices must stop.

For starters, "Dutch" is a name given to us by our enemies, the Deutschlanders. Our native name is "Nederlands" as adjective, or "De Nederlanders" as a noun. These grave injustices must be addressed.
Kiribati princeofcarthage
Retired Contributor

Post by princeofcarthage »

Holland.
Fine line to something great is a strange change.
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

Mr_Bramboy wrote:I am willing to cooperate with World's Edge in order to more accurately depict the Dutch civilization and the Dutch people within Age of Empires 3 and perhaps Age of Empires 4 as well. There are several ways in which the Dutch people are not properly represented within the game and ways in which the Dutch civilization's history is not properly depicted. These injustices must stop.

For starters, "Dutch" is a name given to us by our enemies, the Deutschlanders. Our native name is "Nederlands" as adjective, or "De Nederlanders" as a noun. These grave injustices must be addressed.
lol
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/incog_aoe
Garja wrote:
20 Mar 2020, 21:46
I just hope DE is not going to implement all of the EP changes. Right now it is a big clusterfuck.
European Union aaryngend
Howdah

Post by aaryngend »

Mr_Bramboy wrote:For starters, "Dutch" is a name given to us by our enemies, the Deutschlanders. Our native name is "Nederlands" as adjective, or "De Nederlanders" as a noun. These grave injustices must be addressed.
Sausages are your enemies? I knew dutchies were funny folks but this is even better :lol:

Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02
ESO: Garja

Post by Garja »

dicke :hehe:
Image Image Image
Netherlands Mr_Bramboy
Retired Contributor
Donator 01

Post by Mr_Bramboy »

princeofcarthage wrote:Holland.
I'll settle for Dutch/Holland/them pronouns.
European Union scarm
Howdah
ESO: Malebranche

Post by scarm »

aaryngend wrote:
Mr_Bramboy wrote:For starters, "Dutch" is a name given to us by our enemies, the Deutschlanders. Our native name is "Nederlands" as adjective, or "De Nederlanders" as a noun. These grave injustices must be addressed.
Sausages are your enemies? I knew dutchies were funny folks but this is even better :lol:

Life as a dutchie must be scary, don't judge

edit: i also demand that when a player using the dutch civilization wins, all units start saying Hup Holland Hup, but the volume autoadjusts beforehand to the max.
Netherlands Mr_Bramboy
Retired Contributor
Donator 01

Post by Mr_Bramboy »

scarm wrote:
aaryngend wrote:

Life as a dutchie must be scary, don't judge

edit: i also demand that when a player using the dutch civilization wins, all units start saying Hup Holland Hup, but the volume autoadjusts beforehand to the max.
I agree but
Retired Contributor

Mr_Bramboy wrote:
princeofcarthage wrote:Holland.
I'll settle for Dutch/Holland/them pronouns.
Netherlands.
European Union scarm
Howdah
ESO: Malebranche

Post by scarm »

Mr_Bramboy wrote: I agree but
Idk what they are singing but the chorus sounds like "You're fucking hoe" and it's hilarious
edit: apparently it is written as "jowfuckingho"

Also:
Vietnam duckzilla
Jaeger

Post by duckzilla »

Lol, why would Germans call people from the Netherlands "Dutch", which is a derivative of the endonym "Deutsch" that Germans use for themselves? You got the "Dutch" from your best frenemies on the other side of the canal. Although one has to clarify that for a long time the word was also in use by "Nederlanders" themselves in its local version of "duutsch", since that was simply what they were: Deutsche wie andere Rheinländer, Sachsen, Bayern, Schwaben, Österreicher und Westfalen auch. Sadly, this old bond has been largely cut. Thanks, Habsburgs.
Whatever is written above: this is no financial advice.

Beati pauperes spiritu.
Netherlands Mr_Bramboy
Retired Contributor
Donator 01

Post by Mr_Bramboy »

@scarm It's from the Dutch F1 commentator when Max won his first F1 race.

Netherlands Mr_Bramboy
Retired Contributor
Donator 01

Post by Mr_Bramboy »

duckzilla wrote:
Lol, why would Germans call people from the Netherlands "Dutch", which is a derivative of the endonym "Deutsch" that Germans use for themselves? You got the "Dutch" from your best frenemies on the other side of the canal. Although one has to clarify that for a long time the word was also in use by "Nederlanders" themselves in its local version of "duutsch", since that was simply what they were: Deutsche wie andere Rheinländer, Sachsen, Bayern, Schwaben, Österreicher und Westfalen auch. Sadly, this old bond has been largely cut. Thanks, Habsburgs.
I suppose the Nederlanders have oppression by the British in common with the natives then. An even better argument for my proposed name change. Thanks duckzilla!
European Union aaryngend
Howdah

Post by aaryngend »

TIL that the De Nederlanders are indigenous people too!!
Netherlands Mr_Bramboy
Retired Contributor
Donator 01

Post by Mr_Bramboy »

aaryngend wrote:TIL that the De Nederlanders are indigenous people too!!
Well, yes, most peoples are indigenous. Only the Americans aren't. De Nederlanders have lived here for thousands of years.
European Union aaryngend
Howdah

Post by aaryngend »

Mr_Bramboy wrote:
Well, yes, most peoples are indigenous. Only the Americans aren't. De Nederlanders have lived here for thousands of years.
I mean indigenous people of North & South America!
Netherlands Mr_Bramboy
Retired Contributor
Donator 01

Post by Mr_Bramboy »

aaryngend wrote:
Mr_Bramboy wrote:
I mean indigenous people of North & South America!
Classic American Imperialist attitude. What about De Nederlanders?
Retired Contributor

Mr_Bramboy wrote:
Are you sure English are?
Rainbow Land callentournies
Howdah
ESO: esuck

Post by callentournies »

“Why don’t you write an anti-glacier book instead?”
If I were a petal
And plucked, or moth, plucked
From flowers or pollen froth
To wither on a young child’s
Display. Fetch
Me a ribbon, they, all dead
Things scream.
No Flag orukitan
Crossbow

Post by orukitan »

we everyone assimilation and get material wealth
disjointed small groups have so many toxic side always

I have grateful really, we can eat American hamburger by cheap cost
coke is so delicious, pizza too, and we can know and mimic your country's good values

severance by different language is so sadness for me
globalization and capitalism have toxic side too, but this problem is so smaller
material abundance help us to run away unreasonable violence and old values

of course, cultures without external influence are very interesting and should be saved. I understand
they always give us so many impression

I just want to say that some people think all native's have just beautiful side and they are innocence, but it is illusion and lie
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

Nobody is saying many indigenous peoples weren't cruel and barbaric, but that doesn't justify the way imperialism treated them in most cases.
Retired Contributor

A single species, across single planet and people think different languages and cultures are justified. That's more absurd and nobody seems to realize that. Do you think cats are different in Asia than in NA? 100% Cohesion is inevitable. In time Earth will have single country, single language, single culture. It is just inevitable.
Retired Contributor

The sad thing is no one will remember I said this first and that I was right all along cuz I posted this on some shitty forums with 10 people.
Vietnam duckzilla
Jaeger

Post by duckzilla »

Mr_Bramboy wrote:Well, yes, most peoples are indigenous. Only the Americans aren't. De Nederlanders have lived here for thousands of years.
The Nederlanders and their direct ancestors, also known as the Franks, are the prime evil of Europe tbh. Feasting on the decaying Roman Empire by cutting their piece out. Conquering all lands of the true Christendom belonging to the church of the pontifex maximus in Rome. Slaying and converting their fellow germanics such as the Saxons. Frequently clashing with themselves, thereby creating what would become France and the Holy Roman Empire. Adopting Reformation after being the driving factor in uniting Europe under the catholic faith in the first place, once again cutting their piece out of a Roman Empire. Changing their business model to genocide in Indonesia. Again splitting into two countries with questionable right of existence. All the while pretending to be a tiny innocent country.
Whatever is written above: this is no financial advice.

Beati pauperes spiritu.