Poker

This is for discussions about news, politics, sports, other games, culture, philosophy etc.
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Re: Poker

Post by Goodspeed »

Pokertracker
Netherlands Mr_Bramboy
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: [VOC] Bram

Post by Mr_Bramboy »

Goodspeed wrote:What did you have though

No flaming.
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

Haha what are you doing opening J3o you filthy fish?!
Netherlands Mr_Bramboy
Retired Contributor
Donator 01

Post by Mr_Bramboy »

Goodspeed wrote:Haha what are you doing opening J3o you filthy fish?!
I always raise from the button or cutoff if no one else has called or raise before me to steal the pot. It’s a 3BB investment to steal 1.5BB meaning it breaks even easily. If someone calls then I have positional advantage postflop and I can cbet. As I said I am quite aggressive. Here I’m raising with 9BB more to win a pot of 6.5BB. It’s an overbet, but since you only checked you probably missed the flop. If not, then I lose 12BB, no big deal.

My NL2 opponents are a lot more passive than you would expect.
Great Britain chris1089
Retired Contributor
ESO: chris1089

Post by chris1089 »

Mr_Bramboy wrote:
I always raise from the button or cutoff if no one else has called or raise before me to steal the pot. It’s a 3BB investment to steal 1.5BB meaning it breaks even easily. If someone calls then I have positional advantage postflop and I can cbet. As I said I am quite aggressive. Here I’m raising with 9BB more to win a pot of 6.5BB. It’s an overbet, but since you only checked you probably missed the flop. If not, then I lose 12BB, no big deal.

Why do you raise with 3BB and not 2BB? or somewhere closer to 2BB? (from the button this is.)
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

Mr_Bramboy wrote:
I always raise from the button or cutoff if no one else has called or raise before me to steal the pot. It’s a 3BB investment to steal 1.5BB meaning it breaks even easily. If someone calls then I have positional advantage postflop and I can cbet.
Why didn't you?
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

chris1089 wrote:
Mr_Bramboy wrote:

Why do you raise with 3BB and not 2BB? or somewhere closer to 2BB? (from the button this is.)
Typically if players use dynamic sizing pre-flop it means they open bigger from the later positions and smaller from early positions.
I've been doing 2x UTG, 2.5x in HJ and CO, 3.5x on button and SB
Great Britain chris1089
Retired Contributor

Post by chris1089 »

Goodspeed wrote:
chris1089 wrote:
Show hidden quotes
Typically if players use dynamic sizing pre-flop it means they open bigger from the later positions and smaller from early positions.
I've been doing 2x UTG, 2.5x in HJ and CO, 3.5x on button and SB
Even though your fold equity goes up when you are closer to the button?
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

I think the point is you want to give the BB bad pot odds to call because you're opening very wide. You're less worried about that UTG because your open range is so much tighter and you probably have them dominated anyway, so you don't mind a call as much. Idk if that's a reason but it makes sense intuitively. From what I read, the meta kind of switched around on this but it's currently pretty much accepted that opening big late and small early is optimal.
Netherlands Mr_Bramboy
Retired Contributor
Donator 01

Post by Mr_Bramboy »

Goodspeed wrote:
Mr_Bramboy wrote:
I always raise from the button or cutoff if no one else has called or raise before me to steal the pot. It’s a 3BB investment to steal 1.5BB meaning it breaks even easily. If someone calls then I have positional advantage postflop and I can cbet.
Why didn't you?
Because I knew it was you and I figured you knew I was aggressive. Decided to anyway when you checked it back.
Netherlands Mr_Bramboy
Retired Contributor
Donator 01

Post by Mr_Bramboy »

Goodspeed wrote:Why do you think your style is too aggressive? Do you have any stats?
In my dataset your VPIP is 44 and 3-bet % is 20 with a sample of 9. Too small of a sample obviously but those are big numbers

I got the stats!

My short-term goal is definitely to decrease my ranges and decrease my aggression pre- and post-flop.
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

Haha mine is at 2.79
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

Netherlands Mr_Bramboy
Retired Contributor
Donator 01

Post by Mr_Bramboy »

Wow those stats are supposed to be perfect but you mentioned you were still on negative BB right?
Netherlands Mr_Bramboy
Retired Contributor
Donator 01

Post by Mr_Bramboy »

Kinda unfortunate when your full house is beaten but with this board, it was to be expected. Probably shouldn't have jammed lol.
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

I'm negative in 5NL, like -7 BB/100 after 10k hands so I went back to 2NL where I'm around +10 bb/100. In this new 2NL session though, after the initial gains I started multi-tabling which turned out to be a huge -EV decision, so I'm only slightly above break even after 15k hands.
I really underestimated how much thinking actually goes into a hand. I thought I would still win playing on autopilot in 2NL but nope. Also you don't learn as much because you don't have time to reflect on the hand you just played. It was an interesting experiment but I don't recommend multi-tabling as a beginner.
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

Mr_Bramboy wrote:Image

Kinda unfortunate when your full house is beaten but with this board, it was to be expected. Probably shouldn't have jammed lol.
Ouch, classic boat over boat. It was actually a really good river for you though because it allowed you to get out of the hand. Any ace or any pocket pair above 7 suddenly beats you. There's no way you have the best hand at that point and the jam is just a bluff but I would definitely check/fold there because they're not folding any ace and you're not getting value from missed draws. Those are pretty much the only hands they would have reached the river with.

Ask yourself: What worse hand could call? And what better hand could fold?
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

Mr_Bramboy wrote:Lol that’s unfortunate.
I've played a lot of casual hands with friends and I've yet to see a royal flush happen. That's not unfortunate at all.
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

I think he meant that it's unfortunate for me, since the other guy had the RF
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

I would consider myself fortunate if I ever got to see a RF no matter the circumstances
Netherlands Mr_Bramboy
Retired Contributor
Donator 01

Post by Mr_Bramboy »

Yeah unfortunate for mart
Great Britain chris1089
Retired Contributor

Post by chris1089 »

I spy a @don_artie in Tom_Poker_NL twitch chat.
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

Ouch, classic boat over boat. It was actually a really good river for you though because it allowed you to get out of the hand.
lol interesting language being used here
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/incog_aoe
Garja wrote:
20 Mar 2020, 21:46
I just hope DE is not going to implement all of the EP changes. Right now it is a big clusterfuck.
Netherlands don_artie
Dragoon
ESO: don artie

Post by don_artie »

chris1089 wrote:I spy a @don_artie in Tom_Poker_NL twitch chat.
haha I know tom personally, played with him in rotterdam a bit as well. mostly a friend of a friend
Netherlands don_artie
Dragoon
ESO: don artie

Post by don_artie »

@chris1089 also tom and me have pretty similiar poker playstyle, experience etc. I used to play all those high stakes he is doing now