Poker

This is for discussions about news, politics, sports, other games, culture, philosophy etc.
Great Britain chris1089
Retired Contributor
ESO: chris1089

Re: Poker

Post by chris1089 »

I'd also be interested @don_artie
Netherlands don_artie
Dragoon
ESO: don artie

Post by don_artie »

what about now/soon? @chris1089 @Mr_Bramboy @Goodspeed
Netherlands Mr_Bramboy
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: [VOC] Bram

Post by Mr_Bramboy »

don_artie wrote:what about now/soon? @chris1089 @Mr_Bramboy @Goodspeed
That works. I've been multitabling NL2 and making steady gains. Watching a lot of Nick Eastwood vids on youtube, I think his vids are really good.
Netherlands Mr_Bramboy
Retired Contributor
Donator 01

Post by Mr_Bramboy »

However, if you could unban me from your twitch chat that would be great.
Netherlands don_artie
Dragoon

Post by don_artie »

haha ok, if either chris or goodspeed also shows up i'll go live
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

Sure
Netherlands don_artie
Dragoon

Post by don_artie »

ok live now
Great Britain chris1089
Retired Contributor

Post by chris1089 »

Hand Analysis Question: (I'm in the small blind here I think)
1.PNG
2.PNG
3.PNG
Should I call the c-bet here? I folded the turn after another spade came up as there seemed to be too much Ax and Flushes to call another large c-bet. Only other thought was that I could raise representing the flush and fold out Ax?

Had another one but didn't realise opening the hand analysis for a different hand closed the previous one. Unfortunately that was the one I was more interested in.
Great Britain chris1089
Retired Contributor

Post by chris1089 »

Now I have another question: Is folding correct play here since my kicker is weak?
4.PNG
Netherlands Mr_Bramboy
Retired Contributor
Donator 01

Post by Mr_Bramboy »

IMO 44 is a fold on the turn there and A4o in sb is a fold too, but with only one limp/raise from HJ you could try raising to steal the pot, but not against his 2100 raise
Netherlands Mr_Bramboy
Retired Contributor
Donator 01

Post by Mr_Bramboy »

You can do the maths to figure out why folding 44 on the turn is the correct play there. Divide the call (here 750) by the total pot after your call (here 2200). If that percentage is higher than the chance of you hitting a 4 there (roughly 4%: your outs * 2), then it is too expensive to call. Here it’s 30+% vs 4%, so fold.
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

First of all you should switch to displaying chip amounts in BBs. It's much easier to judge stack sizes that way and stack sizes matter a lot in tournaments, especially when deciding how to play low pocket pairs preflop (this is because you get better implied odds with deep stacks in case you hit the set).

Hand 1 you have a 200 BB effective stack which is pretty deep so calling with the 44 seems ok. I never call preflop from the SB but maybe this situation is a possible exception. The flop is a fold imo. It hits their range really well, and you have almost no way to improve. Turn obviously a fold also.
Hand 2 I can't tell what the BB is so idk if it's a 3-bet pot or not, but I'll assume it isn't based on your hand (in that case you called with A4o in the SB which I wouldn't do). Whether you should call the flop raise really depends on player tendencies I guess. I think enough players raise with nothing in that spot, at least in 2NL, to make that a profitable call. Then if they continue on the turn I'd fold unless it's another ace or a 4.

Disclaimer: I'm bad
Netherlands Mr_Bramboy
Retired Contributor
Donator 01

Post by Mr_Bramboy »

Oh yeah I forgot to add my disclaimer. I’m bad.
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

@don_artie Bit of a ridiculous hand but could I ever have folded this? Too many missed draws, right?

Netherlands Mr_Bramboy
Retired Contributor
Donator 01

Post by Mr_Bramboy »

@Goodspeed That’s a nightmare. I think the solution here is being more aggressive pre-flop and during the flop. Turn becomes more dicey for sure which is why you want them to fold before that happens.
Netherlands don_artie
Dragoon

Post by don_artie »

Goodspeed wrote:@don_artie Bit of a ridiculous hand but could I ever have folded this? Too many missed draws, right?

Okay so many things to say about this hand. In general against any competent player your line is mostly fine (except for possibly river). You unblock flushdraws which is good and block jt which is bad, besides that you're like top of your range. If you dont bet 8x or 4x on the flop only better hands you have are 99 and qq/kk/aa (those hands being same strength as JJ in this spot except for not blocking JT so making them stronger). So any competent opponent would c/r the flop quite a bit with all kinds of gutshots, flushdraws etc and that makes your hand an easy call down. Against competent players only the river is questionable considering the opponents shouldnt really blast off with a draw here. Also competent players should check this turn a high% of the time. Basically if I was the big blind here and I played a strong opponent I would check my range on the turn probably. Anyway, against 2nl opponents idk, I feel like they are more likely to just try and hit their draws and call the flop, so with their c/r I guess they are strong. Could maaaybe fold the turn, it depends on the pool and you know them better than me. Also what bramboy said is incorrect so dont let that cloud your judgement haha
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

@don_artie Would you fold this against a competent player, if it was a jam?
I definitely suspected the river bet was a bluff with missed draws, but assuming they are a good player that doesn't exactly fit because they should have folded to my turn overbet in that case (or are the implied odds still good enough to call with an OESD or flush draw?).
So if this was a good player and they jammed, would you put them on like QTs, T8s or Q8s at that point and fold? I do block the queen hands to be fair.

I guess my question is pretty simple: would a good player ever call that overbet on the turn with just a draw?

Netherlands don_artie
Dragoon

Post by don_artie »

Goodspeed wrote:@don_artie Would you fold this against a competent player, if it was a jam?
I definitely suspected the river bet was a bluff with missed draws, but assuming they are a good player that doesn't exactly fit because they should have folded to my turn overbet in that case (or are the implied odds still good enough to call with an OESD or flush draw?).
So if this was a good player and they jammed, would you put them on like QTs, T8s or Q8s at that point and fold? I do block the queen hands to be fair.

I guess my question is pretty simple: would a good player ever call that overbet on the turn with just a draw?

i like the way you played it, and yea calling an overbet with a draw is okay especially if you think you can bluff them off their hand or something
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

So I assume you'd call a river jam there?
Netherlands don_artie
Dragoon

Post by don_artie »

Goodspeed wrote:So I assume you'd call a river jam there?
a river jam? wouldn't that be like 300 bb? no I would fold to that haha
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

Oh lol I mean if the stacks were normal size
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

Nice call by my opponent but was the bluff attempt a bit misguided maybe @don_artie? With all those missed draws and no high cards that hit my range, was he always going to call with pretty much anything?
Netherlands don_artie
Dragoon

Post by don_artie »

Goodspeed wrote:Image

Nice call by my opponent but was the bluff attempt a bit misguided maybe @don_artie? With all those missed draws and no high cards that hit my range, was he always going to call with pretty much anything?
what hand do you have in your range that has 66 beat on the river?
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

Overpairs I guess.
Netherlands don_artie
Dragoon

Post by don_artie »

Goodspeed wrote:Overpairs I guess.
do you check flop with those?