Jordan Peterson

This is for discussions about news, politics, sports, other games, culture, philosophy etc.
Switzerland bobabu
Howdah

Jordan Peterson

Post by bobabu »

Community Team edit: original discussion took place here: viewtopic.php?f=982&t=23871&p=561903#p561903
DNLgibraltar wrote:This has little to do with AOE3 and mostly with you and videogames as your coping device.
It happens a lot in these days. And it happened to me as well.

The dude voices his opinion on so many different subjects. Do you think he is an expert in all of them like he is portraying himself?
If you need help seek out professional help from a psychiatrist.
Rainbow Land callentournies
Howdah
ESO: esuck

Re: can you stop playing aoe

Post by callentournies »

No one can do anything and but things are done to them, including things that are the negation of things. Cross yer fingers n hang on, or not.
If I were a petal
And plucked, or moth, plucked
From flowers or pollen froth
To wither on a young child’s
Display. Fetch
Me a ribbon, they, all dead
Things scream.
Australia PatrickLFC
Musketeer

Post by PatrickLFC »

bobabu wrote:
DNLgibraltar wrote:This has little to do with AOE3 and mostly with you and videogames as your coping device.

The dude voices his opinion on so many different subjects. Do you think he is an expert in all of them like he is portraying himself?
The guy is a known white supremacist, misogynist and narcissist. I wouldn't listen to anything he says
Australia JKProwler
Dragoon

Post by JKProwler »

bobabu wrote:

I think in this domain his opinion and expertise is spot on. This guy has one of the most cited psychology papers..so this topic his opinion is very relevant
Australia JKProwler
Dragoon

Post by JKProwler »

PatrickLFC wrote:
bobabu wrote:

The guy is a known white supremacist, misogynist and narcissist. I wouldn't listen to anything he says
Just false dude. Uve fallen prey to click bait news.

Read more about him and come up with ur own opinion.

Since when did teaching ppl the importance of responsibilities become racist?

All the hate just came from his opposition to compelled speech laws that were introduced in canada
Australia PatrickLFC
Musketeer

Post by PatrickLFC »

JKProwler wrote:
PatrickLFC wrote:
Show hidden quotes

All the hate just came from his opposition to compelled speech laws that were introduced in canada
I'm not getting drawn into an argument about this because no one has ever changed their mind from an internet argument ever. But the guy is essentially a cult hero of the alt right and incels because he makes them feel like their discomfort with societal progress comes from a place of intelligence, instead of a lack of emotional development and empathy. He thinks women should go back to being housewives etc.
Plenty of things to read but I don't think NYT counts as clickbait does it?
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/18/styl ... -life.html
Australia JKProwler
Dragoon

Post by JKProwler »

PatrickLFC wrote:
JKProwler wrote:
Show hidden quotes

I'm not getting drawn into an argument about this because no one has ever changed their mind from an internet argument ever. But the guy is essentially a cult hero of the alt right and incels because he makes them feel like their discomfort with societal progress comes from a place of intelligence, instead of a lack of emotional development and empathy. He thinks women should go back to being housewives etc.
Plenty of things to read but I don't think NYT counts as clickbait does it?
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/18/styl ... -life.html
Just from what your saying it's clear that you have no idea what he stands for.

If your the type to make a strong opinion of someone based on a main stream article and you do not bother to get to the truth by reading both sides then that's your choice.

I just don't recommend it, and I think ur better than that.
No Flag helln00
Howdah
ESO: helln00

Post by helln00 »

personally I think his views are definitely more paternalistic and definitely traditionalist if anything, almost too much so

also a bit reductionist with the emphasis with his emphasis on responsibilities and also his thoughts on IQ and that is troubling but sadly that is more mainstream more often then not
because sadly responsibilities is often the argument used against minorities to avoid blame of social problems on governments and institutions, my point is that responsibilities are for persons, not groups but its often used against groups.
Australia JKProwler
Dragoon

Post by JKProwler »

helln00 wrote:
because sadly responsibilities is often the argument used against minorities to avoid blame of social problems on governments and institutions, my point is that responsibilities are for persons, not groups but its often used against groups.
When do we blame social problems on groups based on responsibilities?

I find the social justice activists are the ones that are more laying the blame on groups based on responsibilities.

That's the funny thing about this woke culture.

Going back to Peterson, if you actually understand his message and what he stands for, his message is actually about everyone being treated as individuals and not by groups.

Where do we draw the line in categorising people by groups? Gender, Iq, attractiveness, height, race etc..
No Flag helln00
Howdah

Post by helln00 »

JKProwler wrote:
helln00 wrote:
I dont know about where you live, but where I am(not a western country to note) there is definitely stigma on minorities based on their lack of responsibility or that their lifestyles are irresponsible (they are lazy, dont do things intelligently, not responsible with money, etc..etc)

Its also used as an argument to reject supports to these groups or implement programmes that sort of "do things for them", which are usually oppressive and or paternalistic.

Note that this is also the logic that China uses to implement those camps for the Uighur, they are basically irresponsible so the state will be "responsible" for them.
Australia JKProwler
Dragoon

Post by JKProwler »

helln00 wrote:
JKProwler wrote:
Show hidden quotes
I dont know about where you live, but where I am(not a western country to note) there is definitely stigma on minorities based on their lack of responsibility or that their lifestyles are irresponsible (they are lazy, dont do things intelligently, not responsible with money, etc..etc)

Its also used as an argument to reject supports to these groups or implement programmes that sort of "do things for them", which are usually oppressive and or paternalistic.

Note that this is also the logic that China uses to implement those camps for the Uighur, they are basically irresponsible so the state will be "responsible" for them.
I'm sure that happens a lot in some of the non western countries.

The issue of when you generalise problems and attach it to specific groups, no productive solution ever gets created.

Because hardly anything nothing is black and white...and hard problems need complex solutions.
No Flag helln00
Howdah

Post by helln00 »

JKProwler wrote:
helln00 wrote:
Show hidden quotes

The issue of when you generalise problems and attach it to specific groups, no productive solution ever gets created.

Because hardly anything nothing is black and white...and hard problems need complex solutions.
I do want to note that from my experience as a person who also studied in the west, this is a general thing tbh, almost every country blame minorities as a problem of their responsibility. I have seen the same attitude from just about every country around the world, just with different groups.

It is almost reassuring to me that people do this everywhere tbh
Australia JKProwler
Dragoon

Post by JKProwler »

helln00 wrote:
JKProwler wrote:
Show hidden quotes

I do want to note that from my experience as a person who also studied in the west, this is a general thing tbh, almost every country blame minorities as a problem of their responsibility. I have seen the same attitude from just about every country around the world, just with different groups.

Identifying people by groups and making them accountable for something is generally never a good idea. We've seen it from different sides of politics and just leads to non coorporation, wars and genocides.

It's probably born out of our history of tribalism and sometimes just not being able to look at a specific issue past the surface level without getting emotionally riled up
No Flag helln00
Howdah

Post by helln00 »

JKProwler wrote:
helln00 wrote:
Show hidden quotes

Identifying people by groups and making them accountable for something is generally never a good idea. We've seen it from different sides of politics and just leads to non coorporation, wars and genocides.

It's probably born out of our history of tribalism and sometimes just not being able to look at a specific issue past the surface level without getting emotionally riled up
Yeah but people do it and tbh it will never stop, cause like it or not people live in groups. People may live as individuals but live in groups and it will be in the language of groups that politics are decided.

If an issue only affects one person, then the best solution is to ignore them, but you its harder to ignore a group.

edit: I would also like to just add like technically all abstraction relies on applying things to groups, so even like with peterson's appeal to responsibility, he is applying that concept to groups, even if he is addressing it to like a "you". Its not a personal "you", its a group "you".
Latvia harcha
Gendarme
ESO: hatamoto_samurai

Post by harcha »

JKProwler wrote:
PatrickLFC wrote:
Show hidden quotes

How did you come to the conclusion that he earned the titles of white supremacist, misogynist and narcissist by opposing some canadian legislation? Obviously it's deeper than that. It just shows that you need to "Read more about him and come up with ur own opinion."
POC wrote:Also I most likely know a whole lot more than you.
POC wrote:Also as an objective third party, and near 100% accuracy of giving correct information, I would say my opinions are more reliable than yours.
Australia JKProwler
Dragoon

Post by JKProwler »

harcha wrote:
JKProwler wrote:
Show hidden quotes

How did you come to the conclusion that he earned the titles of white supremacist, misogynist and narcissist by opposing some canadian legislation? Obviously it's deeper than that. It just shows that you need to "Read more about him and come up with ur own opinion."
Because that's how he got into the spot light.

I have read about him. He came into my view due to these clickbait articles that. I decided to find out what his all about. The guy has hundreds of hours of his videos on YT and not one evidence of him being white supremacist or a racist.

Your saying it's "obviously it's deeper than that"...how? There is nothing deeper than headlines being passed around by same politically minded people that then forms there opinion on him.

Ppl should stop throwing "racist" word around lightly else it will lose its meaning
Latvia harcha
Gendarme

Post by harcha »

You're arguing in bad faith because you're assuming that someone said this thing strictly from reading a bunch of headlines, and then you go on to claim that the other party is just ignorant. You should ask questions to follow up the claims if you want to actually get anywhere.
POC wrote:Also as an objective third party, and near 100% accuracy of giving correct information, I would say my opinions are more reliable than yours.
Australia JKProwler
Dragoon

Post by JKProwler »

harcha wrote:You're arguing in bad faith because you're assuming that someone said this thing strictly from reading a bunch of headlines, and then you go on to claim that the other party is just ignorant. You should ask questions to follow up the claims if you want to actually get anywhere.
I'm not arguing in bad faith. He has made a claim that is objectively false and is the same claim that has been parroted over and over again by people who haven't really read or studied about the guy.
Latvia harcha
Gendarme

Post by harcha »

Then you're putting him in a group and dismissing any related claims, instead of actually talking to him as an individual. I was assuming (in good faith) that you wanted to discuss, but what you're doing is the opposite of that.

I have to say I've watched at least 10 vids of peterson, a couple of interviews with him and then a couple of videos about him, and I have my own opinion. I don't know how you could say that this or that opinion is objectively false, that doesn't even make sense.
No Flag helln00
Howdah

Post by helln00 »

JKProwler wrote:
harcha wrote:You're arguing in bad faith because you're assuming that someone said this thing strictly from reading a bunch of headlines, and then you go on to claim that the other party is just ignorant. You should ask questions to follow up the claims if you want to actually get anywhere.
I'm not arguing in bad faith. He has made a claim that is objectively false and is the same claim that has been parroted over and over again by people who haven't really read or studied about the guy.
I know what you mean but the easy answer of just saying the other person is wrong and ignorant never gets anywhere, I learned that the hard way
Netherlands Pedrownage
Crossbow
ESO: Pedro1989

Post by Pedrownage »

Yea I used to be into Peterson and his advice can be useful for certain young men. Clean your room first then play video games, that kind of basic psychology. Other than that his views are often just word-diarrhea and not as smart as it might sound when you hear him for the first time.
Latvia harcha
Gendarme

Post by harcha »

Yeah I think a lot of what he puts out is good for self-help, but it becomes problematic quite fast if you start applying it to politics.
United States of America Squamiger
Howdah
ESO: Squamiger

Post by Squamiger »

slavoj embarrassed him so hard that he got addicted to beef and barbituates and had to go to russian rehab
Australia JKProwler
Dragoon

Post by JKProwler »

Squamiger wrote:slavoj embarrassed him so hard that he got addicted to beef and barbituates and had to go to russian rehab
I don't think he was embarrassed. He probably didn't realise how much of there ideas are the same.
Australia JKProwler
Dragoon

Post by JKProwler »

Pedrownage wrote:Yea I used to be into Peterson and his advice can be useful for certain young men. Clean your room first then play video games, that kind of basic psychology. Other than that his views are often just word-diarrhea and not as smart as it might sound when you hear him for the first time.
Read his maps of meaning if u want to go deeper. I preferred it so much more than his last 2 books which seems dumdown version of original to Reach wider audience