Other video games?

This is for discussions about news, politics, sports, other games, culture, philosophy etc.
No Flag Astaroth
Howdah

Other video games?

Post by Astaroth »

Which other video games have you played recently? Anything you liked, disliked, things you can recommend or warn of? Over the last months and years I had more time for video games again and I played a few of them. Here are a few impressions:

Strategy games:
- EU4: a classic, entertaining, in-depth. Requires some time to get into and has a learning curve. Recommended if you like the time period and don't need a lot of action
- Total War Rome 2: by now an enjoyable Total War game. Still not as fun as the old RTW (with mods) and gets repetitive over time, but I had fun with it.
- Attila Total War: fairly challenging for a Total War game. I enjoyed it, but it is a bit exhausting, so many siege battles and defenses when playing as Romans. More like tower defense/horror

(action) RPGs
- Witcher 3: amazing game, not much to add. I focused on the main quest and big side quests, plus DLC. The open world is a bit large and empty, but that's my only criticism
- Assassin's Creed Origins: decent, but too long, the story bogs down a bit, general Ubisoft fatigue
- AC Odyssey: same problems as Origins, yet even way more bloated. Got so bored and sick of this game, do not recommend

Stealth and action games
- Hitman (2016): great game, definite recommend, amazingly entertaining. My first Hitman game
- Dishonored 2 (already played the first): good fun, if you like the somewhat strange and bleak aesthetic, it is very recommended. Fairly challenging!
- Tomb Raider (2013): decent linear action game. A bit repetitive, a bit too much cover shooting, but a fun, fairly mindless acrion game with good set pieces and some decent puzzles
Netherlands edeholland
ESOC Community Team
Donator 01
ESO: edeholland
GameRanger ID: 4053888
Clan: ESOC

Re: Other video games?

Post by edeholland »

You may find some interesting post in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=315&t=23189

I have moved to mostly indie games over the past years, AAA games are often released overpriced, unfinished and lack creativity or innovation.

I played/enjoyed recently (take recently with tons of grains of salt):

Indie games or from smaller studios
Noita
Terraria
Inscryption
Enter the Gungeon
Outer Wilds
Factorio
Rimworld
Dwarf Fortress
Disco Elysium
The Witness
Overcooked
The Talos Principle
Supraland

Bigger budget games
AoE 2/3/4
Payday 2
Deathloop
Team Fortress 2
All Dishonored games
Mass Effect franchise
Armenia Sargsyan
Jaeger
Donator 01
ESO: lamergamer
Clan: c0ns

Post by Sargsyan »

Battlefield1 multiplayer, like once a month
GTA: SA once a week, for 10 minutes
AOE3:DE once every 3 day for an hour
krichk wrote:For some reason, you want the world to know that you're brave enough to challenge Challenger_Marco
No Flag lejend
Jaeger

Post by lejend »

I just finished Tomb Raider a few days ago. Decent gameplay and graphics, but the story and dialogue felt somewhat underwhelming. Overall not a bad experience, though. I'd give it a 7.5 out of 10.
Netherlands Mr_Bramboy
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: [VOC] Bram

Post by Mr_Bramboy »

AC too big and bloated?? I love it! I guess it’s not to everyone’s taste. You might enjoy some of the older ACs with a smaller map though.
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

Subnautica, Satisfactory for sure

They're really fun
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/incog_aoe
Garja wrote:
20 Mar 2020, 21:46
I just hope DE is not going to implement all of the EP changes. Right now it is a big clusterfuck.
Korea South Vinyanyérë
Retired Contributor
Donator 06
ESO: duolckrad, Kuvira
Clan: 팀 하우스

Post by Vinyanyérë »

duck
:mds:
imo
Latvia harcha
Gendarme
ESO: hatamoto_samurai

Post by harcha »

I really enjoyed Everspace. It's mostly about the genre (which I didn't know existed). It's dogfighting with spaceships. But it's like an arcade approach to survival - repeating runs, which progress the story and let you upgrade the ship. And the execution of it was great. There is also a hardcore mode where you have an unupgraded ship and you have to choose one of three nerfs that change out after a couple of levels.
I read that some people complained about repetitiveness, but I felt that way only at the very end when was doing the last Steam achievements. I like to play on the hardest difficulty which makes it more interesting (not as repetitive). 183 hours played, will certainly pick up Everspace 2 when I get in the mood again. This is the kind of game where I happily support the devs.

Now playing some Call of Duty games which I hadn't played. Black Ops was great (cool story), Black Ops 2 was good (ok story), Black Ops 3 was good (meh story, but interesting mechanics which have a learning curve), Ghosts was fine. Advanced Warfare feels shit, because unlike BO3 the "added mechanics" feel super gimmicky and you don't have good control over them, while the story is very uninspired and keeps jumping large time chunks just to somehow string it together. So far AW feels like the worst one, not only due to story, but due to glitches - random performance issues and control problems. Control problems are kind of expected in Call of Duty games, but it's much more glaring when the game is this uninspired. "Press F to pay respects." oh and you also get unskippable cutscenes
POC wrote:Also I most likely know a whole lot more than you.
POC wrote:Also as an objective third party, and near 100% accuracy of giving correct information, I would say my opinions are more reliable than yours.
No Flag Astaroth
Howdah

Post by Astaroth »

Mr_Bramboy wrote:AC too big and bloated?? I love it! I guess it’s not to everyone’s taste. You might enjoy some of the older ACs with a smaller map though.
I did play AC 2, Brotherhood, Revelations, Ac3. And the newer ones.

I always get burned out on AC games after a while, but I find them enjoyable for 15-20h or so usually. The problem is, you cannot finish the newer games in that time.

They have enough unique content for maybe 10-max 20h of content and stretch it out over 40-50+ hours. Odyssey is particularly bad about this. There's really only a handful of fun gameplay mechanics in that game, those are just copy pasted over and over and over again.

I don't see the fun in beating up hundreds of randomly generated, damage sponge mercenaries, to conquer identical, copy pasted fortresses with no interesting content or loot there.

Compare Witcher 3 or Skyrim to AC. Witcher has amazing stories, Skyrim unique locations and quests. AC odyssey has copy pasted forts.
Latvia harcha
Gendarme

Post by harcha »

harcha wrote:Now playing some Call of Duty games which I hadn't played.
Infinite Warfare is actually good. The story is interesting enough, mechanics fresh enough (although it does look like the non-linear part of the game might get repetitive) and there's far less glitches than in other installments!
POC wrote:Also as an objective third party, and near 100% accuracy of giving correct information, I would say my opinions are more reliable than yours.
No Flag DrWho42
Skirmisher

Post by DrWho42 »

i started playing tetris effect (2018)
Great Britain Horsemen
Jaeger

Post by Horsemen »

Halo Infinite (2021)
Latvia harcha
Gendarme

Post by harcha »

I thoroughly enjoyed Mafia 3 DE, but it did get repetitive at one point. I don't get why many people seem to disliked it. Will play Mafia 1 DE at some point.
Great Britain Horsemen
Jaeger

Post by Horsemen »

I started playing Taiko no Tatsujin, I don't know what makes rhythm games so satisfying and addictive but I guess it helps if you like Vocaloid/Touhou arranges.

I am also thinking of getting Diablo 3 for the Switch.
No Flag DrWho42
Skirmisher

Post by DrWho42 »

dialtown: phone dating sim (2022)
No Flag Astaroth
Howdah

Post by Astaroth »

After playing strategy games like EU4, Ck3 and the city builder Anno 1800 for a while, I picked up Elden Ring now. While I am sick of classic open world chore games, this is quite different and fun so far. My first real Soulslike btw.
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

Astaroth wrote:
03 Mar 2022, 07:20
After playing strategy games like EU4, Ck3 and the city builder Anno 1800 for a while, I picked up Elden Ring now. While I am sick of classic open world chore games, this is quite different and fun so far. My first real Soulslike btw.
Soulslikes are really the opposite of classic open world chore games. So it's probably a good choice to pick this one up.
Great Britain I_HaRRiiSoN_I
Retired Contributor

Post by I_HaRRiiSoN_I »

harcha wrote:
02 Mar 2022, 11:23
I thoroughly enjoyed Mafia 3 DE, but it did get repetitive at one point. I don't get why many people seem to disliked it. Will play Mafia 1 DE at some point.
Im sure you have already but Mafia 2 is a 10/10 game. Ive great things about mafia 1 aswell.
Latvia harcha
Gendarme

Post by harcha »

Yeah, I played Mafia 2 and the original some time ago (which means in 2015) and really enjoyed it. That's why I'm interested in playing Mafia 1 DE, but don't want to jump in it immediately after finishing Mafia 3 (also maybe wait for a discount).
India Realife_Brahmin
Skirmisher
ESO: Realife_Brahmin

Post by Realife_Brahmin »

Did your Steam recommendations show 'Sex With Hitler' as a featured game a while back?
Latvia harcha
Gendarme

Post by harcha »

Finished NFS Shift, been playing it on and off for about 6 years. I think I put more than 200 hours on it. It's a game that has a couple of great things tied together by a broken mess. The sense of speed is amazing (like no other game I've played) and it's very cool when it works as intended, but there are game breaking issues with the bots/AI drivers, physics of bumps (track terrain) and car tuning (central part of the game), and difficulty inconsistency. And then there's also smaller problems such as windows compatibility (game doesn't launch if your keyboard language is not set to one of the default English ones, requires administrator permissions), doesn't launch with >120Hz settings and seems to reset graphics settings (which fucks with any chance of getting gsync working), poor performance on modern hardware, overuses annoying visual effects when you run into stuff, bots can have super-steering, replay feature is very bare, some cars with default tuning settings are un-drive-able, steering and braking assists intended for beginners can screw you over by crashing you.
No Flag DrWho42
Skirmisher

Post by DrWho42 »

Per Aspera (2020)
The Sims 3 (2009)
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

I can't remember if this is the official other games thread, but I'm really enjoying logistics games like Dyson Sphere Program, Timberborn and Satisfactory. Super fun games.
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/incog_aoe
Garja wrote:
20 Mar 2020, 21:46
I just hope DE is not going to implement all of the EP changes. Right now it is a big clusterfuck.
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

iNcog wrote:
01 Sep 2022, 14:26
I can't remember if this is the official other games thread, but I'm really enjoying logistics games like Dyson Sphere Program, Timberborn and Satisfactory. Super fun games.
Avoid cracktorio for the sake of sanity.
Great Britain Horsemen
Jaeger

Post by Horsemen »

I was looking for this thread lol