Ukraine Invaded By Russia

This is for discussions about news, politics, sports, other games, culture, philosophy etc.
Kiribati princeofcarthage
Retired Contributor

Re: Ukraine Invaded By Russia

Post by princeofcarthage »

Russia had 900k active army personnel and over a million reserves in 2021 according to data. That is nearly 2million they have fielded only 200k
Fine line to something great is a strange change.
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

Do you think they will let that huge frontier unguarded or exposed just to send everyone able to fight on the front in Ukraine?
Then NATO could invade from the Baltics and go fast all the way to Moscow.
European Union scarm
Howdah
ESO: Malebranche

Post by scarm »

Tbh they might have had better success by immediately attacking Berlin
Retired Contributor

Dolan wrote:
18 Mar 2022, 12:21
Do you think they will let that huge frontier unguarded or exposed just to send everyone able to fight on the front in Ukraine?
Then NATO could invade from the Baltics and go fast all the way to Moscow.
NATO doesn't have considerable army in baltic. Besides in a limited area like Baltic conventional russian forces "On Paper" outnumber NATO.
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

>Any protesters are arrested
>Making a public statement about the war in Ukraine that runs contrary to the official account can get you in prison
>A great patriotic rally, with forced participation, is organised
>The rally is focused on the great leader and his speech
>That's where the official truth allowed by the state and the leader himself is projected in a big staged event
>The speech gets cut out halfway and the leader disappears

Getting some real big Ceaușescu vibes here ngl
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

I'm telling you: Putin is fucked. That's why he set up this rally. This is what Ceaușescu did a few days before he lost power and fled the palace in a helicopter.
The fact that he needed such a rally is a big red flag that he's not sure about how much the population supports him.
If you are in a strong position as a leader, such a rally is useless, you don't need to project a fake image of unity and popular support.
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

scarm wrote:
18 Mar 2022, 12:51

Seems like Ukrainian propaganda tbh
Latvia harcha
Gendarme
ESO: hatamoto_samurai

Post by harcha »

gibson wrote:
18 Mar 2022, 15:18
scarm wrote:
18 Mar 2022, 12:51

Seems like Ukrainian propaganda tbh
I understand that you might not believe such people exist, but it is only because you don't live near them.
https://www.businessinsider.com/russian ... lls-2015-8
POC wrote:Also I most likely know a whole lot more than you.
POC wrote:Also as an objective third party, and near 100% accuracy of giving correct information, I would say my opinions are more reliable than yours.
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

Fair
European Union scarm
Howdah

Post by scarm »

Tbh i wouldn't read much into it either way, just interesting imo.
Rainbow Land callentournies
Howdah
ESO: esuck

Post by callentournies »

war 0f inf0rmati0nsh
If I were a petal
And plucked, or moth, plucked
From flowers or pollen froth
To wither on a young child’s
Display. Fetch
Me a ribbon, they, all dead
Things scream.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Post by fightinfrenchman »

callentournies wrote:
18 Mar 2022, 18:33
war 0f inf0rmati0nsh
Join Truth Social
Dromedary Scone Mix is not Alone Mix
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

a limp?

Also Putin wearing 11k euro overcoat, which is about 1/6th of his salary xD

This is the same brand that Zuckerberg buys his "modest, plain-millennial" tshirts from, to create this impression that he doesn't flaunt wealth. He's just your average nerd wearing a tshirt.
But each of those tshirts costs like half a grand.

That overcoat basically costs as much as a cheap new car. So much for the "man of the people" image.
It reeks of hypocrisy, especially when he was recently attacking and distancing himself from the oligarchs who have mansions in Spain etc etc. As if he lives a modest life and all these things he owns were bought from his salary.
It's obviously from stashed away wealth he got when he did those shady deals in the past.
European Union scarm
Howdah

Post by scarm »

Always wondering why people buy overprized shit like that. Pretty sure i wouldn't waste money on bullshit even if it didn't matter to me.
Retired Contributor

There is a difference of quality between those overpriced t shirts and your normal 5$ t shirts.
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

scarm wrote:Always wondering why people buy overprized shit like that. Pretty sure i wouldn't waste money on bullshit even if it didn't matter to me.
Upper class mentality. They can't just wear or use anything that the plebs use. They need to make themselves feel above the crowd.
And then hold speeches about how concerned they are for the wellbeing of the plebs, everything they do is to serve "the people".
You can only feel right about "serving the people" in a €11.000 deluxe cashmere overcoat.
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

princeofcarthage wrote:
19 Mar 2022, 09:33
There is a difference of quality between those overpriced t shirts and your normal 5$ t shirts.
It's called stealth wealth. These brands exist to make people like Putin and Zuck hide their wealth by wearing these plain-looking clothes that actually cost about as much as a cheap new car.
It's about simulating an image to deceive your consumers, followers, etc. Make yourself look like an ordinary guy. PR bs
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

scarm wrote:
19 Mar 2022, 06:06
Always wondering why people buy overprized shit like that. Pretty sure i wouldn't waste money on bullshit even if it didn't matter to me.
It looks almost exactly like my 60 euro coat... You have to be really morally corrupted to spent so much money on shit like this.

But I'm sure part of our confusion is that we just cannot grasp how rich these people truly are. I'm sure we've all experienced this: We're looking for some product and find some perfectly servicable version of the product, but then we realize that for eg just 10$ more we can have a similar product with some extra functions. And then we're like, well what does 10$ really matter to me? Sure I want my printer to be black instead of white and have phone connectivity! I assume that this happens to these rich people, except that 10,000$ is like one dollar to them. Why wouldn't you buy that super luxurious coat if it was 61$ instead of 60$?
Retired Contributor

It looks same but material isn't same. Not saying they aren't overpriced but it isn't like to like comparison. It is more like comparing $100 android phone to $1200 iphone. The experience is infinitely better and for that people pay.
Latvia harcha
Gendarme

Post by harcha »

well it's still more than an order of magnitude away from the range where you would expect some sort of price to quality correlation
POC wrote:Also as an objective third party, and near 100% accuracy of giving correct information, I would say my opinions are more reliable than yours.
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

I genuinely can't imagine how my 60€ coat can be any more comfortable
Latvia harcha
Gendarme

Post by harcha »

there's shit like nicer materials, better craftmanship - higher skilled labour, ethically sourced materials and whatever. but when you start measuring coats thousands or tshirts in hundreds it's just nonsense
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

Those clothes are made from some exclusive cashmere, woven by hand, and each thread is twisted to make the fabric hold together as strongly as possible.
The outcome is that the fabric is very dense, it never wears off and it doesn't crease.
So the final product keeps warm, it's very light and it can last for decades without getting worn off from getting washed or cleaned up.
But ofc there's also the psychological factor, rich people just buy stuff like this because they like to feel they're above you.
Retired Contributor

harcha wrote:
19 Mar 2022, 11:26
well it's still more than an order of magnitude away from the range where you would expect some sort of price to quality correlation
Yes, I agree they are very overpriced but it is probably cuz there is no demand for that. Maybe they can bring down the prices to say $500 but still the amount of sales required for profits wouldn't be possible at that price range. How many people would buy state of the art shirts/tshirts on continuous basis. People would still prefer $15 ones. Considering those things they $11k is probably the price of ex where they can make a profit. And as a result they cater to a very exclusive audience.
Retired Contributor

RefluxSemantic wrote:
19 Mar 2022, 11:28
I genuinely can't imagine how my 60€ coat can be any more comfortable
You can get a coat whose texture is a lot more smoother, which is lighter, which provides more warmth, which lasts longer. And other few things, like skin friendly fabric, breathable fabrics and stuff. But they would cost you maybe 600 or 6000. The only way to know is use one!