Asian politics

This is for discussions about news, politics, sports, other games, culture, philosophy etc.
Latvia harcha
Gendarme
ESO: hatamoto_samurai

Re: Asian politics

Post by harcha »

I think this public calling out made it so US had the choice of pussying out or pretending everything is normal. I think it would have been too damaging to not do it.
POC wrote:Also I most likely know a whole lot more than you.
POC wrote:Also as an objective third party, and near 100% accuracy of giving correct information, I would say my opinions are more reliable than yours.
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

China fei123456
Jaeger
ESO: fei123456

Post by fei123456 »

It's impossible to shoot the plane. I just don't understand why the government said 100 times of "last warnings" if they decided to do nothing. Millions of people are watching the stream on every website last night, expecting the plane to go back/shoot down/the world war happens, but they finally see Pelosi arriving safely, walking on red carpet: and suddenly every stream is cut off. What a joke.

Maybe they think Pelosi didn't dare to arrive Taiwan, so they stream to let every Chinese see how she fled away? But they become clown themselves.
China fei123456
Jaeger

Post by fei123456 »

But anyway I don't think it's a wise choice to visit taiwan officially. They're forcing China to stand against them, which shouldn't be the only choice anyway.
Latvia harcha
Gendarme

Post by harcha »

it wasn't in official agenda to visit Taiwan. they could have not visited, if China didn't turn this into a story.
POC wrote:Also as an objective third party, and near 100% accuracy of giving correct information, I would say my opinions are more reliable than yours.
China fei123456
Jaeger

Post by fei123456 »

But it happened anyway. It may be awkward for Pelosi if she canceled the visit again (the first time for "covid positive"), but the "successful" visit is pushing China into the opposite side, and even supporting Russian invasion upon Ukraine. It could be prevented before.
Latvia harcha
Gendarme

Post by harcha »

Well it is unclear if it was the initial goal to visit Taiwan, or maybe it wasn't.

You're saying that China was forced to react when Pelosi was inbound Taiwan, but maybe US was forced to double down on visiting Taiwan when China used this aggressive rhetoric. Both could be true.

What is this about supporting Russia? That might be China's prerogative, but US doesn't care about Ukraine enough to sacrifice all of their Pacific interests. That should be obvious. For them there is more to geopolitics than just what is happening in Europe right now.
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

I think we don't have access to the information based on which this visit was planned. Maybe the US government got some confidential info that the Chinese military was making plans to isolate Taiwan by closing the South China sea.
So the US government probably decided they needed to make an official gesture of support for Taiwan, to show them that they are serious about their commitment to help Taiwan if China decides to invade it.
Biden couldn't have gone to Taiwan, because that'd be too risky, so Pelosi was the next in line that could do this and give the US government some plausible deniability.
That's why Biden kept saying Pelosi's visit wouldn't be a good idea now, it was just for show.
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

The reason why China probably wants to make some bold moves on Taiwan is because the CCP will have a major congress in November, when they're going to hold new elections for a leader.
And Xi needs to present a very strong profile at the congress, based on the achievements checked during the Covid crisis, cracking down on the rich, making steps towards regaining control of Taiwan, etc.
There are lots of crises unfolding right now in China (the bank run, the real estate bubble bursting, local cities having problems with debt).
I think everyone expects Xi to get a new term, but it would look bad if he gets a new term in the middle of so many crises going on. He needs some achievements to tilt public perception in a more positive direction.
Vietnam duckzilla
Jaeger

Post by duckzilla »

fei123456 wrote: ↑
03 Aug 2022, 07:45
It's impossible to shoot the plane. I just don't understand why the government said 100 times of "last warnings" if they decided to do nothing.
It's an absurd fail. No one would've noticed Pelosi's visit if the chinese government didn't make a fuzz about it. After addressing the issue in public, the Pelosi is pretty much forced to visit Taiwan in order not to make the US government look weak.
fei123456 wrote: ↑
03 Aug 2022, 07:49
But anyway I don't think it's a wise choice to visit taiwan officially. They're forcing China to stand against them, which shouldn't be the only choice anyway.
It's not like the US president visits Taiwan and reopens diplomatic relations. This whole thing is a non-issue, especially since US representatives visiting Taiwan is not exactly a new thing.

Or maybe it is something else, as Pelosi says it herself:
Pelosi: “They didn’t say anything when the men came.” A reference to the fact that in April, US senators Lindsey Graham, Bob Menendez, Richard Burr, Ben Sasse, Rob Portman, and Ronny Jackson visited Taiwan.
Whatever is written above: this is no financial advice.

Beati pauperes spiritu.
Vietnam duckzilla
Jaeger

Post by duckzilla »

Dolan wrote: ↑
03 Aug 2022, 09:42
The reason why China probably wants to make some bold moves on Taiwan is because the CCP will have a major congress in November, when they're going to hold new elections for a leader.
And Xi needs to present a very strong profile at the congress, based on the achievements checked during the Covid crisis, cracking down on the rich, making steps towards regaining control of Taiwan, etc.
There are lots of crises unfolding right now in China (the bank run, the real estate bubble bursting, local cities having problems with debt).
I think everyone expects Xi to get a new term, but it would look bad if he gets a new term in the middle of so many crises going on. He needs some achievements to tilt public perception in a more positive direction.
Xi is weak and fears looking like it. It leads to him making stupid mistakes endangering unrelated people. Classic dictator stuff.
Whatever is written above: this is no financial advice.

Beati pauperes spiritu.
China fei123456
Jaeger

Post by fei123456 »

duckzilla wrote: ↑
03 Aug 2022, 11:47
Pelosi: “They didn’t say anything when the men came.” A reference to the fact that in April, US senators Lindsey Graham, Bob Menendez, Richard Burr, Ben Sasse, Rob Portman, and Ronny Jackson visited Taiwan.
That's different. Pelosi is the chancellor: "I am the senate."
duckzilla wrote: ↑
03 Aug 2022, 11:48
Xi is weak and fears looking like it. It leads to him making stupid mistakes endangering unrelated people. Classic dictator stuff.
In my understanding he's more like acting as a dictator than being a dictator. He didn't really have the power to decide everything (compared to Putin); but they need such a character to show that they're "united".
Great Britain Horsemen
Jaeger

Post by Horsemen »

next, china literally just nukes taiwan
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

Horsemen wrote: ↑
03 Aug 2022, 20:05
next, china literally just nukes taiwan
Then GPU prices would get high enough for me to sell mine and buy a new car
Latvia harcha
Gendarme

Post by harcha »

That's what it would take for Intels GPUs to finally take off.

I have this open on a side monitor at work.
https://news.sky.com/story/taiwan-news- ... t-12664644
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

Damn, and I warned them to hurry up and move the chip industry somewhere else

but they didn't listen. Now China is gonna Hong Kong it.
Latvia harcha
Gendarme

Post by harcha »

Dolan wrote: ↑
04 Aug 2022, 08:44
Damn, and I warned them to hurry up and move the chips industry somewhere else

but they didn't listen. Now China is gonna Hong Kong it.
Damn, you're like the Prophet POC the Second. You really did warn everyone about this unforeseen predicament.
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

hOes mAd they don'T have thE poweRs

China fei123456
Jaeger

Post by fei123456 »

People are mad celebrating the warfare stream, and are planning to destroy all the power plants, food and water supply to destroy the island in a week, avoid Putin's mercy in Ukraine. They're ready to send missiles onto US military bases in Japan Korea Philippine etc, divide India at the same time, and to build a new world without "Anglo saxons" together with Russia NK Iran etc.
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

feisty grl
Latvia harcha
Gendarme

Post by harcha »

damn, corn cake coulda worked on the fat guy
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

Iraq going down a path that leads to breaking up into pieces, which is the natural result of an artificial country created by the Brits

No Flag lejend
Jaeger

Post by lejend »

Every country is artificial. Take the globalism pill @Dolan
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

lejend wrote: ↑
30 Aug 2022, 15:34
Every country is artificial. Take the globalism pill @Dolan