Depp vs Heard, anybody watching?

This is for discussions about news, politics, sports, other games, culture, philosophy etc.
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Re: Depp vs Heard, anybody watching?

Post by Dolan »

Really? Did they get like a legal injunction to examine her?
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

That would be kinda weird, because she could have also been uncooperative and just pretended to answer their questions.
Not sure you can really do much with someone who is more or less openly hostile or uncooperative
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

Well anyway, what the great public opinion understands is always correct and accurate. There are never any deeper meanings than those understood by the great public opinion.
And the public has ruled: Amber Heard is le shit evil person (as Redditors would say), Johnny Depp is the likable poor victim. There are no deeper undercurrents beyond that.
Case dismissed.
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

Wow so weird
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/incog_aoe
Garja wrote:
20 Mar 2020, 21:46
I just hope DE is not going to implement all of the EP changes. Right now it is a big clusterfuck.
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02
ESO: Garja

Post by Garja »

RefluxSemantic wrote:
01 Jun 2022, 14:05
Dolan, for the sake of everyone involved please dont ever pretend like you understand women again.
No idea about the specific case but he has a point about most women doing that. It's certainly more complex than that but you can't dismiss what he says.

Also, I'll most certainly regret stepping into this madness.
Image Image Image
Kiribati princeofcarthage
Retired Contributor

Post by princeofcarthage »

iNcog wrote:
01 Jun 2022, 16:26
Wow so weird
Well he is not wrong. In statistical studies, if you have a large public opinion the expected result is often close to average of it.
Fine line to something great is a strange change.
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

princeofcarthage wrote:
01 Jun 2022, 17:11
iNcog wrote:
01 Jun 2022, 16:26
Wow so weird
Well he is not wrong. In statistical studies, if you have a large public opinion the expected result is often close to average of it.
That's why the best insight about the world we ever got was through public opinion polls.
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

Garja wrote:
01 Jun 2022, 17:04
RefluxSemantic wrote:
01 Jun 2022, 14:05
Dolan, for the sake of everyone involved please dont ever pretend like you understand women again.
No idea about the specific case but he has a point about most women doing that. It's certainly more complex than that but you can't dismiss what he says.

Also, I'll most certainly regret stepping into this madness.
A wild G appears

You still playing AoE?
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02
ESO: Garja

Post by Garja »

Not really playing
Image Image Image
Australia Hazza54321
Pro Player
Winter Champion 2020 x2Donator 01
ESO: PrinceofBabu

Post by Hazza54321 »

regardless of the jurys decision i still think johnny wins, its defamation trial after all. Everyone knows ambers a piece of shit now, should really deserve jail time but i guess having her career destroyed is something
United States of America Cometk
Retired Contributor

Post by Cometk »

Why is amber heard a piece of shit
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

Depp won, guess that wasn't too hard to see coming.

@Cometk ho boi
Garja wrote:
I just hope DE is not going to implement all of the EP changes. Right now it is a big clusterfuck.
Retired Contributor

I am disappointed with $15 million award though. He reportedly earned $90 million for the last pirates film. He would have made at least that much for the 6th + the loss of fantastic beasts role. $50 million should have been easily awarded. At least punitive damages should have been awarded considering law just caps it at $350k. That would at least have made a strong statement.
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

Goodspeed wrote:
01 Jun 2022, 08:12
Dolan wrote:
01 Jun 2022, 00:56
Show hidden quotes
Which is not what I said. Ironically, it seems you're the one having problems with understanding English or reading comprehension. Because I never implied #metoo is less valid because someone took advantage of it.
You projected your own opinion onto JD's lawyers and/or the public by saying "Depp's team correctly sensed that there's a growing irritation at this #metoo movement" when that wasn't said or implied anywhere.
This Guardian editor seems to think along the same lines as what I said, that there is a backlash to the #metoo movement.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... o-backlash

If she is right, then Depp's lawyers may have done some research before choosing the timing for initiating this lawsuit.
I doubt they are paid royally and just go in blindly without doing some survey first.
There are some convo transcripts which show Depp being very self-confident about her getting destroyed in a lawsuit.
It's like they knew something and I don't believe in conspiracies, so maybe they had some polls that show that the pendulum of public opinion on #metoo has swung.
Retired Contributor

The convo of Depp saying that actually goes way back to 2016. Also not sure if lawyers can choose the timing of the lawsuit. It is usually decided by court. Depp first sued in 2018. 4 years is a lot for change in public opinion to happen. Secondly he sued almost immediately after op-ed
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

Eh, this perception of a backlash to #metoo seems shared across the media

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/05/18/opinion/amber-heard-metoo.html

These women who write for the Guardian and New York Times are so busy spreading this 'incel take' I mentioned before.
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

Paywalled. It seems to be an opinion piece anyway, which is the same flavor as Heard's op-ed. The Guardian article was quite meh, it felt like the writer didn't follow the trial at all. I don't really see the media as a whole being swayed against #metoo, just two little articles doesn't indicate that public perception is suddenly slanted against sexual aggression survivors.

I don't understand what the backlash of #metoo means? Like, are we sick of women coming forward about rape and sexual aggression? Perhaps we are arguing that women should be silenced regarding these issues?

Seems like a bullshit take to me. Domestic violence goes both ways and in this specific case, no one is tired of #metoo, it's just that no one wanted a popular public figure to be slandered and lied about. Anyone watching the case could clearly see that Heard shit on Depp's name to further her career and get an easy $7M out of it (isn't her net worth like $8M? kekw). I'm not sure that anyone (minus bigots ofc) are tired of the #metoo movement, I know that I certainly have no issue with it. However many people are glad that Heard paid for the consequences of her actions: namely domestic violence (goes both ways) and slander (she lied, fabricated shit and overall just used Depp as a step-ladder).

It's quite difficult to view Heard as a victim. She instigated fights and lied about a lot of shit. I think the take that people are tired of #metoo is just wrong. Depp was probably confident about winning the lawsuit because he had overwhelming evidence whereas Heard had sloppy lies to deal with.

Tbh, it's times like these that I doubt the quality of Dolan's faith. I think it's just more interesting for him to post the incel takes and see the forums blow up to respond to him. I mean, this is the longest post I've written in a while. It's just a questionable hobby.
Garja wrote:
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

I don't really see the media as a whole being swayed against #metoo, just two little articles doesn't indicate that public perception is suddenly slanted against sexual aggression survivors.
Well, add these too to the other two:

doesn't indicate that public perception is suddenly slanted against sexual aggression survivors.
Who's talking about that, lol. It's not about the thing, it's about how the movement is perceived.
Seems like a bullshit take to me. Domestic violence goes both ways and in this specific case, no one is tired of #metoo
They can be tired of what should be a-problem-to-be-handled-normally-by-the-legal-system becoming some kind of ideological movement, when it's not necessary.
The law just needs to be applied, there's no need for this public drama over something that needs to be solved through the law, not through media pressure and activism.
I haven't heard anyone arguing here against the idea that the law needs to be applied in cases of domestic violence. Where did people get this idea, lol. It's a strawman. You're making an attribution of intention to me on a theme I never said anything about in this thread. You're assuming that if I think Depp's lawyers must have sensed a backlash to #metoo was underway, then I must be rejoicing that this is happening. I never implied that, lol.
I think the law should be applied without any such drama or public movements. That should have been the normal course of action right from the start.
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

If you say a thing then you shouldn't be surprised (and backpedal) when people take what you say at face value.
Garja wrote:
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

@Dolan youre completely missing the point that the law wasn’t being applied fairly more often than not until social pressure was applied. In many cases women were losing more for reporting abuse than the men who abused them. It’s bigger than the court system anyway. A man making lewd comments( which happens much more than anything physical) to a woman at work doesn’t usually need to be taken to court. He needs to be fired. Even today, this is often not the case and again the abused is often retaliated against while the abuser is given a small slap on the wrist.
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

Whatever backlash there is against the #metoo movement is from misogynists, which there are plenty of, so yeah there is backlash. I don't think it's as widespread as you think though @Dolan.

But I can imagine people getting a little numb to the movement. It's old news. Like "oh another one, moving on". This is kinda me with mass shootings. You just get tired of hearing about them.

Also lmao at the subtitle of one of the articles you screenshotted
“It is a case study for how social and political movements get misused and weaponized against the very people it’s meant to serve,” said #MeToo.
Hashtags can talk :O
Brazil look
Howdah
ESO: LoOk_tOm

Post by look »

why left wing democrats are always on the wrong side, amber lost!
There are women as bad as men in the world.
Kaiser sucks
Garja Noob
grunt the best
Kickass God
BSOP OP
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

:huh:

The AoE forums are really leaking on this one. No short supply of dumb takes there apparently
Latvia harcha
Gendarme
ESO: hatamoto_samurai

Post by harcha »

look wrote:
02 Jun 2022, 08:59
why left wing democrats are always on the wrong side, amber lost!
There are women as bad as men in the world.
i also wanna side with right wing democrats on this one
POC wrote:Also I most likely know a whole lot more than you.
POC wrote:Also as an objective third party, and near 100% accuracy of giving correct information, I would say my opinions are more reliable than yours.
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

About this metoo stuff: with all these movements there is always some intrinsic friction. Generally these people advocate for equality for some marginalized group. Reasonable people will agree that it's desirable for people to be treated equally regardless of things like gender, race or sexual orientation. But opinions seem to differ with regards to how this equality is to be achieved. Some people think we should really compensate for this inequality (higher women over men just because they are women), some people think we should just treat everyone equally and dont compensate at all.

When one of these discussions is fresh, people tend to be outraged (due to some outrageous event happening) and in this process nuance is lost. This arguably happened with metoo, which led to some people like Depp being unjustly cancelled. As the outrage slowly disappears, there is room for more nuanced takes and one of these more nuanced takes is that Depp shouldnt have been cancelled.

I dont really think that that means that there is backlast against the core idea of the metoo movement. Rather, there is some sort of backlash against what was essentially a kneejerk reaction following #metoo. The writers of all these articles are, imo, morons that fail to grasp any of this.